Ending the unstarted

Note to Self: Don't Fall

 

 “Junhee-ah... aren't you going to school? It's 15 minutes to 8.” Umma peeped at my door. I was still sitting at my bed, with my laptop, but ready to go anytime. I just needed to read all these articles that were posted on line about me. I wanted to be sure that I know all the details that the know about me.

 

And I can't help but feel a bit worried about some comments that were thrown at me.

 

Maybe that girl is too clingy. I thought Onew likes noona.” / “Jonghyun oppa should really look after his taking advantage cousin.” / “Not because she's a cousin means she can do anything she wants with the other member.” / “Beware of anti fans, kiddo.”

 

I sighed. There's nothing I could do to prevent these issues from going over, but I wish they could easily forget about this thing. I am innocent. In my mind and in my heart, I'm not doing something that can only benefit myself. I am not taking advantage over Jinki oppa. I am not too clingy, and never will I use Jonghyun oppa's name to get something that I want.

 

I decided to shut down my laptop and left the room follow umma. She gave me packed lunch before leaving. Umma was clueless about these articles on the internet. I just hope these won't get on television so she won't know about it. I don't want her to worry for me so much.

 

And besides, Jinki oppa's been escorting me from home and from school. I'm sure nothing will happen to me since I'm always with him.

 

But once the fans know that he is doing this for me every day, then for sure it will be another scandal. I was still in the kitchen when I heard umma from the living area.

 

“Oh! Jonghyun-ah... you came?” She asked and I rushed to see oppa in the living room with umma. He has this happy expression on his face and goofily waved at me the moment he saw me. I wiped my hands and went towards them.

 

“What brought you here so early in the morning, oppa?” I asked him. He shrugged his shoulders and sighed.

 

“Well, I'm here to be your driver.” He told me.

 

Driver? He will be the one picking me up today? Where's Jinki oppa? Should I ask where is he? Or no?

 

“Oh.. change driver.” Umma said and chuckled. “But where's Jinki ssi? He is the one always picking up our Junhee.”

 

Jonghyun oppa smiled slightly, “He is currently busy with some things so... I took charge.”

 

Mom nodded satisfyingly. “What does my Junhee have that everybody seemed to be taking care of her? Suddenly, someone should always accompany here to school.” She was a bit confused and curious.

 

“Because Junhee is going to graduate now... and soon she'll enter a university. We must guard her from the possible suitors.” Jonghyun oppa chuckled at his joke. Umma nodded again and looked at me suspiciously.

 

“So I see... Jonghyun oppa and Onew oppa need to guard our Junhee for some other suitors.” She said and patted my shoulders. “Oh. You should go now. You don't want to be late for the first class.” She said and kissed me goodbye.

 

So Jinki oppa wasn't able to pick me up today because he was doing something else. He should've just texted or call me about it so I can go to school alone. Jonghyun oppa didn't really need to be here and do this for me. Not that I don't want him doing it, it's just that.. he might be as busy as him and I don't want to trouble oppa anymore.

 

“How are you, Junhee-ah?” Oppa asked me the moment he started the engine and took off. I looked at him, and suddenly, there was a serious expression on his face.

 

“I'm fine, oppa. Always.”

 

“Have you seen those articles?” Was he referring to those that I read a while ago? “About you and Onew hyung dating and being together and stuff.” He cleared.

 

“Oh.. yeah.” I sighed.

 

“That was a completely different sigh, Kim Junhee.” He took a glimpse on me before returning his gaze on the road. “Are you sure you're okay? Not affected by those hateful comments that you have probably read?”

 

“Well... they kinda hurt me but... I know I can't do anything about it.”

 

“How will youn handle these things then?” He asked.

 

“Just like what you do... ignore and forget.” I answered.

 

“Can you? Can you not mind all of it and act like you don't know anything? Can you go another day thinking that you can meet some of these haters at your school? Can you walk around thinking that some of these eyes looking at you are those that are actually judging you?”

 

Can I? Can I really just let this pass?

 

“I don't want you to be suffering the same things that we do.” He answered when I couldn't say a thing. “You don't deserve to receive any of these comments. You don't deserve to be hated.” He said as he looked so worried and concerned. “So I told Onew hyung to stop bothering you.”

 

What?

 

“I know meddling betweent the both of you isn't right but... I just have to step in for your sake.” He said.

 

“But oppa...”

 

“I don't know what's really there between the two of you. I know you are getting along these days, but I'm not sure how well you are to each other.” He said as he slowly opened the topic about it.

 

“First, I never asked Onew hyung to accompany you to school and to pick you up after class.” He revealed. My mouth automatically went wide open as he said that, “And second, I didn't ask him to continue doing that for 2 months. To be honest, we barely talk about you in the dorm... so if he ever said something like... that's what I told him about you then... I don't have anything to do with that.”

 

“...but, when I visited you at the dorm that day... it seemed like...”

 

“I acted like I know what you were talking about since I don't want to get involved between the two of you. It was his choice to do it, so he should only be the one explaining himself to you. That was what I thought...”

 

“You know, Junhee-ah... I know hyung is a good guy but... I don't think he's in the stage where he could be someone you can depend on when these comments hit you.” He told me honestly. “Hyung isn't the type to be serious and all when it comes to relationship... he hates commitment... for him, being with someone gives him the responsibility to take care of the person... which he doesn't like because he doesn't want to be so disappointed when he accidentally hurt that person.”

 

“But oppa... we are not in the relationship where...”

 

“If I ask you now, will you honestly tell me about your feelings towards him?” What oppa said made me shut my mouth. “It's not hard to fall for Lee Jinki, Kim Junhee. I have witnessed a lot of girls crying because of him... and I don't want to see you in the same situation. It's not that I'm saying he is playing around with your feelings but... what if he suddenly gives up on you? What if he realizes the thing he has with you won't work? I don't want you to hurt, Junhee-ah... most especially, I don't want Onew hyung to be the one hurting you. I don't want you to hate him so much – much more than how you did you before, so as early as nothing's clear between the both of you, it will be better of we end it right away.”

 

The sadness on my face couldn't be hidden. I know... I know there's nothing between the two of us but... the thought that even friendship can't be built... hurts me a little.

 

“Judging from how you look... I guess the fondness towards him already grew into you.” There was a small chuckle, but it felt more like he doesn't want me to go on with any feelings that I might be able to have in the future.

 

“Not that I don't want you for Onew hyung or I don't want Onew hyung for you.. it's just that.. I think it's better if both of you will fall in love to other person.” He said clearly. “So don't be sad. Do you want me to arrange a blind date for you? I have lots of young friends.”

 

“No need, oppa. I don't need a boyfriend right now.” I said and forced a smile. I hope he felt better by that. I don't want him to be worried as well.

 

*** ***

 

“That looks like a different car.” Minyoung asked when I met her on the gate after getting off Jonghyun oppa's car.

 

“That's Jonghyun oppa.” I told her.

 

“Oh. Where's Onew oppa?” She asked. I only shrugged my shoulders.

 

“Maybe doing something.” I replied to which Minyoung nodded as if she was satisfied enough with my answer.

 

As we head to the platform, I noticed a table set up in front of the stage and some cameras around. “What's happening?” I asked.

 

“Oh, I heard there will be an open audition about anyone who wants to join the next batch of SM trainees.” She said.

 

SM?

 

“You should join, Junhee-ah! I heard they are looking for fresh faces that can be trained to be actors in the future. SM is expanding their talents I think.” She said and shook my shoulders. “You should try since you've experienced acting on stages before.”

 

Actually, I was in 3 major roles for the last three annual theatric presentation of our school. Yearly, we do it to celebrate the foundation day and also to compete with other schools. Just this year, I acted as the female lead character for the play, and we fortunately won 1st place for 2 consecutive years.

 

“You're going to audition, alright?” She asked excitedly. “Come on, for sure they'll get you! You're so talented!”

 

“No.” I answered swiftly. “I won't audition.” I said with conviction.

 

No. Nevermind. I like acting, but... nevermind.