Mistakes together

When You Were Mine

 

“Hyung.” Taemin tried to talk to Onew for the nth time. He’s been like this for two days, and the SHINee members knew he wasn’t talking to Hwejin yet. They were always together during these days, and Onew doesn’t talk that much – only when he was asked something or he really needed to.

As usual, Onew didn’t respond. He was rather busy staring at an empty space of their rehearsal studio.

Then a knock on the door was heard. Someone opened it after a while. “Excuse me.”

Onew automatically stood up when he saw the familiar face appearing when the door opened. It was Hwejin. She smiled trying to make Onew feel okay.

“Why are you here?” Onew asked a loud – in front of everybody. He didn’t care whether they found out the truth now or not.

“O-Onew-ssi.” She called with uncertainty. Hwejin wasn’t sure how to answer him in this kind of situation.

“Why?!” The rare mad voice of Onew appeared during this time. It was a surprise for the rest of SHINee members as they stared and waited what else will happen between the two of them. “You’re going here because Haiden have gone back to Australia?! What am I to you? A rebound? Someone that could make you happy while your boyfriend is away?”

“Lee Jinki.” Hwejin called in tension. Jonghyun, Key, Minho and Taemin knew it was going to be a huge fight – now that Hwejin heard Onew’s pre-judgment on her.

“We should escape.” Minho whispered to the other members and they were about to step out when Onew talked.

“NO. You stay here. If Director Son wants to say something, he’ll say it to all of us.” He said seriously.

“But…”

“No, hyung. You’re just afraid to talk alone with Hwejin coz you know you can’t resist her.” Key said out of nowhere. “You want to get mad but it all disappeared when you saw her after 2 days. Look at your face. You were trying to control a sigh of relief so please, don’t use us for a cover up.” He said and pulled Taemin with him as the four of them together with 2 choreographers went out together – leaving the two inside.

“Oppa.” Hwejin called out softly. “Haiden… He doesn’t want to break up with me. He said we’re going to be together as long as time dictates.” She admitted.

“What?” Onew looked at her in disbelief. “And you allowed him to dictate about your relationship? You didn’t try to pursue him?”

“I tried…  I tried but…”

“But you failed because you love him?”

“No! Of course not!” Hwejin defended.

“If you don’t love him anymore then why did you choose to be with him than to meet me?” He said and turned his back against her, walking few steps away.

“I’m sorry.” Hwejin apologized.

“You’re sorry? You didn’t even think of how I would feel, and to top it all, you slept with –“

He was unable to continue what he was saying when he felt warm arms embracing him from his back. He couldn’t move. He was frozen with the warmth her body was sending to him.

“I’m sorry… I wanted to run and see you, but I can’t. I was filled with guilt, and I also thought about how Haiden felt when he knew I wanted to leave him.”

Onew loosened up her embrace and faced her closely. He slid his arms down and his hands reached to hold hers.

“You don’t know how much I contained myself to run and hug you everytime I see you. I can’t just tell everybody I love you because I know I will be wronged. Everybody knows I have a boyfriend and I also don’t want you to look bad for them. I’m sorry.”

That gentleness on her face made Onew’s heart melt. Key was right when he told him he could never resist Hwejin and her beauty. It was hard to stay mad when her beautiful sparkling eyes were staring at you begging for forgiveness.

“Araso…” Onew give in and finally hugged Hwejin so tight. The scent of her shampoo lingered on her hair and Onew just didn’t want to let go. “I guess that would mean I need to start committing a sin with you.” He remarked.

Hwejin looked up with questions on her face.

“I’ll do everything to win you over him, but while he can’t just leave you alone, then I have no reason to give you up either. You told him you don’t want to be with him anymore but he insisted to stay together, it is not my fault now when he hurts himself a lot just because I decided to take you away from him.”

“Oppa…”

“I’m not usually the type who fights for his own sake. I’m the type to just give in to someone else’s happiness, but let me be only selfish when it comes to you. You’re that one precious treasure I couldn’t ever give to someone else for their own happiness. I’ve let you go once. I don’t want to repeat the same mistake over again. So be it if they call me sinner for being your other guy. I don’t care, all I ever want is to be with you.” He said.