Pain Still Lives By

When You Were Mine

 

“Yah, hyung, where are you going?!” Jonghyun shouted trying to call Onew back. The latter ignored him and went completely gone as he exited the room.

“Onew-ssi.” The manager called one last time. “Hey, what’s wrong with him?” He then turned to the other members to ask.

“Were you being hard on him? Did someone blame him for the mistakes you’ve encountered onstage?” Director Son, who might seem disrespectful for talking down to the people whose almost the same age as her and one even being older, still said with a warned voice.

“Of course not!” Key quickly defended. “We even told him it was all fine and he should not worry about anything else. He must be feeling depressed by himself.” He turned to the other three members secretly asking for their support. “We all know hyung’s always like that. It’ll get better soon… I hope.” Minho, Jonghyun, and Taemin agreed to what he said.

“Where do you think he’s going?” She asked.

“Company’s rooftop.” Minho quickly answered. “That’s the closest place he might go into when he’s not feeling okay.” He said.

Just then Hwejin left without saying anything, leaving other people confused and worried again.

“Why are people suddenly leave without saying a thing? Aish. Frustrating.” Key fanned himself as he sat on the makeup table, removing the pieces of accessories dangled on him one by one.

Hwejin reached the rooftop after few minutes. As she stepped in, Onew is already visible within her sight. She made her way to him really quietly. Onew just felt her presence when she arrived.

“I know how you feel.” She said as she stared at the sky and the whole City of Seoul. “You try to work with your best on something, but ended up failing anyway.” She chuckled funnily, “That’s not good.”

“Why do you have to come? Why do have to watch?” He looked at her with a not so amused expression.

She looked at him weirdly but decided that she should answer his question first. “I watched because I want to know what SHINee I can expect during concert. I want to level the production with your stage appeals. I want everything to be the best.” She uttered and looked at him.

“You shouldn’t have come. You can watch the performance live at home, or at the dressing room, or anywhere else, not in the recording itself.” There was a hint of annoyance in his voice.

Though she felt it may lead to something she won’t like, she tried to maintain the calmness and the neutrality of her expression. She should not think of anything else but only about what is happening now.

“I won’t be able to fully get what I want if I watch it through a medium. I have to see you live. I need to see everything that is happening on stage.” She answered.

“I don’t like it… to be honest.” He uttered. “I don’t like you coming in just like that however you want it.” He finally faced her with a not so amused expression. “You can’t just do anything you want around me. I know you’re a director, and you have some rights over us, but you still have limitations, and let me tell you, please don’t appear just like that.” He said.

“So what if I go everywhere you are? Don’t I have the right to observe what you are doing?” She crossed her arms and tilted her head a bit. She’s starting to lose her patience.

“Don’t act like you still look at me as someone you work with. Admit it or not, we’re still each other’s exes.”

There.  There Onew said it. She was shocked at first, trying to compose the right sentences in mind in order not to sound bitter and affected.

“So what? Isn’t it already 5 years ago? What’s wrong with acting like something didn’t happen? You got over me as how I got over you as well.” She said straightly.

“You’re so im—“

“And don’t act like you’re the one overly sensitive about this. For all we know, I am the one who must be mad at you. Don’t give me the reason to hate you as much as how I supposed to do. You don’t have to talk down on me. You’re the one who left me.” She said seriously.

“You should be grateful.” Onew answered back.

For once she was surprised how Onew suddenly can talk like that now. He’s not like this. He had known Onew to be the soft kind hearted person who will always choose the most wonderful words when talking to other peoplr.

“If I decided to keep you with me, I think you won’t be able to achieve this kind of success. If I didn’t set you free and only thought about me being happy, you should be suffering right now.”

“Of course!!” She shouted because of frustration. How dare this person talk to her as she has to be thankful he left her. “My life wouldn’t be this wonderful if you have stayed with me! So thank you very much, Lee Jinki. Thank you for letting me go. I appreciate it so much. I will be thankful for you forever!!” She said in such sarcastic voice. “Though I hope you’ll be as happy as I am right now!!” That and she left him there, marching her way out of the rooftop.