I moved on

When You Were Mine

 

“Have you properly arranged all your things?”  Hwejin’s mom entered the room the night before her departure to Korea.

“Yes. I think I’m good enough for tomorrow.” She said and looked at her mom, “Umma, I still think you and appa should go back with me. We should go home together.” She suggested. Hwejin has been encouraging her parents to go with her back home ever since she accepted the contract with SM.

“It’s time for you to live independently.” Her mom answered. “We have been there all along with you, and I think you’re being too dependent on us already. I know you can go on your own. There are things that you should decide on yourself and some of them don’t really have to be consulted to us. You should start learning to stand for yourself, my dear. That way you can learn better, and it’s not worrisome to let you walk on your feet. It’s in Korea after all.” She smiled as she brushed her fingers through her daughter’s hair.

“You’re not taking responsibility over me anymore?” She pouted and act like a baby. Her mom chuckled.

“See you how act in front of umma.” She smiled at her warmly. “Whenever I got the chance to watch you from a far, I see a mature and intelligent Hwejin, but you always come back to being a child when you’re around me.”

“It’s because umma and appa are my safest arms to have.” She said.

“In order to have a better life, you must at least try to come out of your safest zone. You’re an intelligent and mature woman with a very good career and reputation. You should know this above all.”

“Araso… I’ll do my best in Korea so umma and appa will be proud.”

“But…” Her mom has something else to say, “Aren’t you going to work with SM? Is that the company where he works as idol?”

“Jinki-oppa?” The name came out of naturally, as if he’s nothing but someone she knew back then. “Oh. Should I practice calling him Onew-ssi?” She looked up the ceiling as if she was thinking.

“Are you ready to see him for the first time again?” She asked worriedly. Her mom knows about her relationship with Jinki before. It was on her side that she cried her hardest the night when they decided to break up.

“Why not?” She chuckled a bit and smiled. “It has been five years, umma. I’m old enough to still feel bitter about him.” She said. “Both of us moved on and 5 years ago will only seem like a childhood foolishness.”

Her mom nodded, feeling satisfied of her daughter’s answer. “Call umma whenever you need me.” She said and hugged her daughter tightly.

[Hwejin] They seem suspicious of me every time that I tell them I already got over him. It’s funny, because I know I really did. It’s been 5 years already, and I will be the most stupid person if I still haven’t moved on.

That’s why I didn’t hesitate to accept the offer. I know foreign agencies are asking me to work for them, but Korea is a place I always want to go back to. It’s my home, and an offer for me to stay there is something that I can’t reject.

**** ****

“I already forgot about the things that we will work on this year.” Jonghyun said as they walked out of the company. “My head is currently filled with the idea that hyung’s going to see Hwejin after 5 years.”

“Not to mention that she’s going to be the one leading us. That’s pure daebak.” Key added.

Onew looked at them weirdly. “It’s good to see her again, though.” He smiled. The four looked at him with suspicious face.

“I know you can’t act right in front of the camera, but why are you convincing in pretending you’re not affected anymore?” Key snapped.

“Because I really am not affected.” Onew simply said.

“What if she really comes back hoping to get back to you again?” Minho asked straightly.

“You must be kidding me.” Onew chuckled. “We were teenagers during that time. People change as time passes by. She had met a lot of guys better than me, and I believe she’s not the same Hwejin we used to know before. Why won’t she be able to get over me?” He said and pointed the four with the phone he was holding. “The four of you. Don’t make her feel awkward by bringing up what happened before. She’s here to work with us professionally so the past has nothing to do with what’s going to happen in the future.”

Taemin was listening silently before he was able to talk, “But hyung, if past has nothing to do with what’s going to happen in the future, then why do teachers always bring up the past when studying World History? What do we care about it then?” He asked.

Onew thought for a while, “So as not to repeat the same mistakes we’ve made before. If the thing happens again, then we will know how to hand things right.” He answered.

“So if you ever have the chance to get back with her, will you still let her go?” Minho asked cornering Onew one last time.

“But it’s empty, Minho-ah…” He simply answered. “How can you let go of someone that you don’t want to hold anymor? I have no plans on getting her back. We have our own lives, and we moved on. For sure.”