Sparks of Crystals

When You Were Mine

 

“A date with Lee Jinki?!!” Hyekyeong shouted as she was inside the director’s office. Hwejin flinched and almost covered her friend’s mouth with the worries that someone else might hear them.

“It’s not a date. We’re just going to watch a concert together.” She cleared.

“Duh. That’s the same.” Hyekyeong rolled her eyes. “I don’t know… but I have a bad feeling about that date. Why are you going out with someone else when you already have a boyfriend? Yah. Son Hwejin… are you going to cheat with Haiden now that he is away?” She pointed out.

“I’m not!” Hwejin said in defense. “I took it because I want to see the concert, plus, I don’t want auntie to be disappointed. That’s all. Nothing else.” She reiterated.

“I don’t know… but if one day you get to be in trouble… just don’t come to me you hardheaded person.”

Hwejin then looked at her watch. “Oh. It’s 4 pm already. We agreed to meet each other in the parking area at 4:15. I should start preparing now.” She stood up and arranged the pile of papers that were on her desk. Hyekyeong just watched her clean up, still thinking at the new mess Hwejin was starting to get into.

“What if Haiden knew about this? Whether this is nothing to you, Haiden will think differently since he knows you and Onew had a relationship before.” She asked again with her arms crossed.

“I can explain. Haiden believes in me and he just wants me to be honest. I’ll tell him about his mother’s concert tickets so he won’t think that we went out on purpose.” She said. It felt like she was confident enough that it would also be nothing for her boyfriend.

As what was agreed, they met each other in front of Onew’s car at exactly 4:15 pm.

A thought immediately entered her mind while they were traveling to the concert. Did Luna know about this? Did he ask for her permission to go out with me? I didn’t tell Haiden about this… so I hope he didn’t, too.

“Good thing Luna agreed.” She remarked, trying not to mean anything at all.

“She wanted to go.” Onew answered. “But they’re having shows later tonight so she couldn’t make it.” He looked at her and smiled. “I told her I’ll be responsible of feeding her about what happened to the concert later on when I get back.” He said.

I wish I didn’t ask anymore. “Hmm… sad for her. You seem pretty close, huh? I didn’t know Jinki-oppa could be that gentle to someone else.” She said.

“I’m always gentle…” Onew said. “Since the day they gave me the name Onew, I have to act along with it… so for five years… I practiced being as gentle as possible, and now here I am.” He smiled.

“No. You’re gentle and kind ever since you were born… it’s just that… you only choose the people you’ll show gentleness and kindness with. You were casual and not so friendly with the people you didn’t know, not it has changed. You smile to everybody just like how you smile to the people close enough to you.”

He got her point, and he was somehow glad she still remembered who he was… five years ago. Aside from his parents, Hwejin will be the only one who can still recall the old Lee Jinki. Even SHINee members were already fond of Onew. Lee Jinki has been forgotten in a way because people loved Onew more than the other one.

“Actually… the smile you were saying that I only show to the people I love…” He looked at her with serious eyes. “It’s gone.” He nodded. “The smile you see on my face? Half of them were not true. I learned faking it…” He looked at the road again, “Just in time when I became Onew.”

Awkward silence. No one dared to talk again right after what Onew said.

Soon they reached the concert hall. They entered the crowd silently and took seats really close to the stage. They will see Eric Benet perform clearly and close enough to them.

It was dark in the audience for all the lights were focus on the stage. They didn’t dare moving. No one even dared to start a conversation while they wait for the artist to come out.

Onew looked at her… in 3 seconds, he looked away, as if he was burned by just looking at the figure next to her.

Hwejin looked at him… in 3 seconds, she looked away, afraid that he might just catch her looking at him intensely, examining every detail of his face, almost checking how tight his pores were.

The concert was sweet and romantic. Why wouldn’t it be? It’s Eric Benet singing the entire time. Most people in the audience were couple, not sure if Hwejin and Onew are counted as one.

And there Eric Benet sang a song… a very familiar song both for Onew and Hwejin.

Maybe we need just a little more time
Time that can heal what's been on your mind
You can find what we lost before it all slips away
We need time to mend from the mistakes I've made
God only knows what a heart can survive
So many tears from all the pain in our lives
And where else could we go after all we've been through
I still believe my life is right here with you

So just hold on
And it'll wont take long
I hope that you can love me
When the pain is gone
I don't want us to fall through the cracks of a broken heart
Don't want us to fall through the cracks of your broken heart

I know its taking a while but every lesson, i've learned
And if your heart speaks tonight, I'll hear every word
If you want to be free I'll never stand in your way
But with all that I am, I'm asking you to stay

Hold on
And it'll wont take long
I hope that you can love me
When the pain is gone
I don't want us to fall through the cracks of a broken heart
Don't want us to fall through the cracks of your broken heart

There's a light that can burn
It exists in the heart
You can feel it when you know love is true
If you could try to be strong
And keep the light burning long
It took a lifetime but i found it in you

Hold on
And it'll wont take long
I hope that you can love me
When the pain is gone
I don't want us to fall through the cracks of a broken heart
Don't want us to fall through the cracks of your broken heart

Hwejin quickly recalled one sweet memory they had five years ago when they were still together…

“Jinnie-ah, I’m sorry. I promise I’ll sleep early tomorrow. Please. Why don’t you answer my calls? I just want to hear your voice after a long day of practice.” Hwejin frowned as she received another text message from Jinki. She was mad at him because his mother told her Jinki practiced all night, not having enough sleep for that day.

She ignored it. It’s hard to resist such a cutie but if he continues to do this then she’s afraid he’ll just collapse one day and be over fatigued.

And then another message was sent… “If you don’t answer my next call then that would mean I’m already forgiven.” She sighed. These messages of Jinki never fail to make her answer his calls. If she doesn’t, then Jinki will act the next morning as if nothing happened.

The phone rang. She breathed deeply, preparing herself for a nag dedicated for him.

“You-“ she stopped when she heard his gentle and soothing voice in the background.

“Hold on,  and it'll won’t take long. I hope that you can love me when the pain is gone. I don't want us to fall through the cracks of a broken heart.” It was him singing a song for her…

Hwejin’s tears automatically fell as she recalled that wonderful memory she has with the same song. Knowing that it was dark on their area, she allowed herself to be drawn by the emotions, letting the tears flow as she knew Onew won’t be able to see it. He was deeply immersed into the song, too.

He simply looked at her, and saw sparks on her eyes as they shine despite the darkness. Those crystals… even broke his heart more as he secretly watched her cry. There was no sound. No sob. Just her tears, along with her eyes that long for something special… something that was gone… and they thought would be impossible to regain.


// yes, we're slowly getting there. OMG. I feel like crying.. This is too emotional for me. OMG.