One more try

When You Were Mine

 

“Oppa.”

“Luna-yah…” Onew smiled and went towards Luna while holding a glass of wine on one hand. “Are you having fun? I’m sorry I wasn’t able to talk to you that much.”

“It’s okay. I understand, and I know you have to entertain some important guests.” She smiled brightly and voluntarily took Onew’s free hand. “I want you to know you did great today. I saw the whole concert with my own eyes, and Onew oppa was the coolest and hottest guy on stage.” She praised while pressing his hand tightly.

“Thank you.” Onew smiled warmly at Luna. “I was very nervous, thanks to everybody’s support, I was able to do well.” He said.

“Since we can’t celebrate properly… can we go somewhere else after this? I’m… I’m going to show you something if you don’t mind.” Luna asked, still holding Onew’s hand.

He was about to answer when someone suddenly cleared , making them interrupted. “Jinki-oppa…”

Onew automatically turned to the one who called, not because his name was mentioned but because he knew who it was and he’s surprised that she called him that way. It’s Onew-ssi normally.

“Umma called me up and she told me we should go home.” She simply uttered. “I’ll wait for you outside so if you’re done talking then…” She smiled at Luna and left the two of them again.

“You’re going home together? Why? Is there something going on that I didn’t know about?” Luna asked with a suspicious look. Onew then slowly pulled his hand out of her grasp.

“I’m sorry but I’ll tell it to you some time later. I really have to go now. See you.” That and Onew left her alone as well, going to his car to drive with Hwejin at home.

Inside the car was very silent. No one’s talking. They couldn’t hear anything but the almost silent sound of the engine coming from his car. There was constant exchange of gazes, but they don’t last that long. Most of them last for just a mili second. It was like looking at each other will burn them.

“I’m sorry… but please bear my parents for a while.” Onew said to somehow open a conversation between the two of them. Hwejin just looked at him, waiting for Onew to continue what he was saying. “I told them about our breakup before… but up until now, they are still wishing for you to end up with me. They still see the light that we’re going to get back together.” He said honestly. “I don’t know but my parents seem to love you and your family so much that they don’t want me for someone else.”

Hwejin chuckled. “I guess they love me more than you.” She joked.

“Can you tolerate them for a bit? But if you feel like telling them… I think it will help a lot. They won’t realize the reality unless you tell it to them personally. Hay… my parents… sometimes they ask me about what I would do when you come back. They even dream about our wedding… they even dream about our future children.” He looked at her. She looked back.

They gazes shout nothing…. But Love, misery, and longingness.

“That’s how fond my parents are to you.” He uttered with a bitter smile. “So I hope you can still keep up with them though it’s been over between the two of us.”

She forced a smile and nodded. “Sure. I love them even before that’s why it’s hard to reject them, you know.” She said.

As they entered Onew’s house… His parents quickly went to hug her. “Hwejinnie… it’s so nice you’re here with us again. Do you know how much auntie missed you?” She said dearly as she caressed Hwejin’s face. “I thought you already forgot us. Are you back here for good? Our Jinki must be very happy then. I know he missed you as much!” She said full of delight.

Hwejin smiled and ignored the Jinki part of her statements. “I missed you, too, auntie. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to get to you all this time until now… but I think it’s better this way since umma and appa are here with us as well.” She said.

“Yes. Come on, let’s eat together and celebrate Jinki’s birthday.” She said happily and both of them sat at the table to eat the food that they prepared for the 2 families.

“You know what… last night, I was praying hard for my Jinki’s birthday wish.” Onew umma said as she cut the meat with the knife. “I asked God to give Jinki that someone who could make him the happiest. My prayer was completely answered. Hwejinnie is here with us now. I feel so happy and glad Jinki can continue the love with her.” She said excitedly.

“Umma…” Onew tried to stop his mother from talking too much.

“See?” His umma turned to her husband. “I told you Hwejin and Jinki will get back together. I’m right! Look at them now… they look as good as ever. With Hwejinnie being SHINee’s director… it’s just plain perfect.” She leaned forward as if she was about to whisper something to hwejin. “My dear… you better watch him all the time, okay? There are lots of girls roaming around to get his attention. You should be careful for him not to cheat. Arachi?” She giggled towards Hwejin.

Hwejin’s mom was about to say something when she pinched her mother’s hand. She stopped and looked at Hwejin who talked instead.

“I’ll sure look after him, auntie.” She said and giggled along with Onew’s mother.

Her parents, along with Onew, were all surprise with what she said. Does that mean she’s going to lie and tell them they are still together?

After eating, they asked Onew and Hwejin to walk outside the house and roam around the garden while they clean the table and have some parents to parents chat.

It was Onew’s time to asked Hwejin about what she said earlier.

“You should’ve told them the truth. You’ll just get into trouble by what you did.” Onew said.

She smiled and looked at him. “I can’t. If I tell them the truth, auntie will get hurt so much. She seems to be happy with me around. I don’t want to ruin that happiness.” She told him.

“But… she’s going to be hurt anyway.”

“I’ll make her learn about it slowly. We don’t need to kill that happiness in an instant. I’ll make auntie realize that there’s no spark between us anymore… that… that… that the love we had faded long ago.” She said.

**** ****

“Haena-yah… didn’t I tell you about this a while ago? They are not together anymore, and Hwejin already has a boyfriend. Why did you still insist of talking to her as if she’s still in a relationship with your son?” Hwejin’s mother said while the two women were at the kitchen helping each other into washing the dishes.

“I know ~ I know ~” She said and looked at her friend. “But I can’t let go of Hwejin just like that. She’s the most precious girl to me… so I want to try for the last time. Do you really believe the love has gone? I don’t know. Jinki thinks it’s me that couldn’t see it… but it’s him and Hwejin who are, in fact, blind about the love that never left them. I still believe that they’ll end up together. Can’t you trust me on this? We know very well how they love each other before… I’m still holding on to that relationship they treasured five years ago.”

“What if you fail?” Hwejin’s mother asked.

“It doesn’t matter if I fail… what’s important to me is the fact that I will never regret doing nothing in the end.” She smiled and continued doing the dishes.