Onew's smile vanishes

When You Were Mine

 

It was 10 in the morning and Hwejin was in her office waiting for the call of the stage architect who designed the stage that they will be using for the concert. The architect told her that he will present the design today so she’s waiting for the call if everything has been set for the meeting.

This few hours of waiting is like a rest for her. She’s been around doing all the busy work for the preparation of the biggest concert for SHINee. Remembering the guys, she realized it’s been 2 weeks since she last saw them all. She sees Jonghyun and Key around but for two weeks, there’s no trace of Onew anywhere. She wondered what happened that they weren’t even dropping by her office to check and have little chats with her. It’s something that they used to do in the past though.

She shrugged her shoulders. It was probably because they’re still busy with some schedules in local and in abroad. Sparing some time, she decided to browse on some fan sites to see what the boys are up to these days.

That’s when she started reading about Onew’s weird mood these past few days. Hwejin decided to pay extra attention on a certain blogger with these lines on her post:

“…Shawols, mostly MVPs, will know how depressing it is not to see Onew’s smile as he performs. He’s not like the same dork leader we get to see onstage anymore. He acts, sings, dances like a complete robot, not feeling, nor showing, any emotions at all. His serious face hurts me a lot that I got to the point when I wished for him to make some mistakes so he will laugh at himself and smile to the audience in embarrassment, but there’s none. It felt like Onew Sangtae went away bringing with it the smile on Onew’s face that we all love to see. I want to believe it’s not Onew now that we see. Where’s the original Onew? Where’s the Onew who debuted with the other four in 2008? Where is him…”

Did something happen to Oppa? She asked herself after reading the whole blog. Something might be wrong somewhere that he gets to act this way. She looked up a bit as if she was thinking… what exactly are the things that make oppa sad, depressed, and unhappy? What exactly are the things that make him not to want smiling?

Perhaps… insecurities. She knows how Onew has lots of insecurities with himself, but Hwejin thought Onew had surpassed them all for he clearly sees how he is loved by many today. What about feeling… left behind? Out of place? No. Not really. The four love their hyung so much it seems that he always gets the attention from the rest. The last course then will be… he’s jealous.

“Is it even possible for oppa to be jealous and mad because of Haiden?” She asked herself. “Why? Don’t tell me he’s still in love with me?” After few seconds, she shook her head and chuckled. “Stop thinking like that, Son Hwejin. Don’t think highly of yourself, you.” She said, but on the back of her mind, that thought wouldn’t come out so she decided to verify some things by asking her assistant if she could send Jonghyun to her office.

30 minutes later and Hwejin finally saw Jonghyun entering the office.

“Director Son.” He smiled and quickly occupied the seat in front of her table, “You called for me? Why? Is there something wrong?” He paused and slammed the table a little bit as he made an expression in panic. “Wait, don’t tell me we cannot do my solo performance anymore?”

“No…” She smiled and shook her head. “I’ve talked to them and they’re very okay with everything.” She said. “This is what I want to ask to you…” she paused for a bit before continuing. “Is something wrong with Onew-oppa these days?” She unconsciously called him “oppa” in front of Jonghyun. It’s normally Onew-ssi when she talks with other people about him.

“What do you mean?” Jonghyun frowned and tried to read what’s on her mind. “You mean, onew-hyung?”

“Yes.” She faced her monitor towards Jonghyun. “You see… I came to read about this and I kinda… you know… worried that something might be happening with him… and uhmm… as a friend… maybe… maybe I could offer some help.”

“Well…” Jonghyun started reading the blog and slowly got what she was trying to say. It’s not like I should tell you he’s being like this because of you, you know. “Onew hyung is…”

“Is what?”

“Ah…” Jonghyun had to be quick witted for this. “His parents…”

“What happened to his parents?” Panic on her face quickly showed. When they were still together, she had already established a relationship with his parents. Even her parents are close to them, too, that’s why she became suddenly worried when he mentioned about them. “Did something happen? What?” She repeated.

“No. no… it’s just that… they have constant misunderstandings and Onew hyung always has to be in between. Their relationship is under crisis right now so… Onew hyung is getting all depressed and unwell. That’s the reason why he doesn’t smile often these days.” He said.

“Oh…” She nodded. “Right… if it’s all about his family then I understand why he’s being like that.” She thought for a while before talking again. “Wait, should I go to their house and talk to them for Onew oppa?” She asked considerately.

“Oh no! Please!” Jonghyun quickly said. “I mean… Onew hyung told us not to say this to anyone. I’m afraid he’ll get mad if he finds out that I said this to you… and besides, I know hyung doesn’t want to bother you anymore. After all, it’s his own problem with his family.”

Jonghyun’s words hit her in reality. Right… it is his OWN problem with his OWN family… the family she thought she could be part of before. She smiled and only nodded, “I’ll leave that to him then. I hope it gets better soon.” She said.


//Can you congratulate mo for updating at least once a day for 2 consecutive days already? HAHAHAHA.