Inconsistent

When You Were Mine

 

“Can you send in my appointments for today?” Director Jin asked the assistant right after she arrived at the office one morning.

“Here is it, Director.” The assistant said and handed over her schedules for today.

Hwejin took is, “Thanks, you may go back to—oh wait.” She called her back again when she saw a name that she has heard before. “Don’t tell me you really…”

“You told me if he gives a schedule matching yours then it’s okay to make an appointment with him.” She showed her a bright smile. “So there… You’ll meet Mr. Haiden Kim later at 11:30 am so you could have lunch with him.”

She bitted her lower lip and looked at her assistant as if she was angry, “Okay. If this thing doesn’t work out with him I swear I’ll fire you.” She asked with a smirk.

The assistant suddenly looked nervous and unconfident. “You mean… if you dislike him then I will be kicked out of my job?” Hwejin nodded. “Oh then, I must give a call back to him to reassure he’ll leave a very good impression on you.” She said and quickly left her office.

She shook her head while smiling as she took her seat. To be honest, she never liked this kind of thing. During those 5 years, a lot of guys had already asked to date her, or even just have a small chat with her, but she always backs off whenever learning that the guy likes her and wants to court her. She disliked dating right after she arrived in New Jersey to study, and up to now, she never really got to have another boyfriend.

But she doesn’t know. This is probably Mr. Kim’s tactic to get her into his company. He plans to befriend her so he could easily get her trust. There are a lot of business men who use emotions in order to get what they want, but obviously, it won’t work on her. Once she knows about his real intention and suddenly dislikes it then she’ll leave him completely.

15 minutes after their discussion, her assistant came back carrying with her a bouquet of flowers, “Director, someone sent you this beautiful flowers.” She said while smiling brightly. “You should see the card and see who sent it.”

It’s not that Hwejin still had no idea who sent it, but she still took the card and opened to read it.

To the lovely director that I will finally meet, I’m so excited to sit and eat with you so… see you later at lunch. – Haiden

“Looks like someone has really fallen for our wonderful director.” The assistant smiled and placed the flower on her table beautifully. “I can’t wait to see how the first meeting will be.” That and she left the office again.

Hwejin looked at the card she was holding, and then she looked at the flowers on the table. Smile can’t help but to escape her face. She must admit it’s really heartwarming to receive such present early in the morning. It showed that the guy was really looking forward to meet her in person that he cared enough to send flowers indicating how excited he is to see her later.

“Who knows… someone who’ll make me happy probably has arrived.” She gently put the card on the drawer and started her work.

**** **** ****

Manager Dongjun sat lazily on one corner of the practice room that morning. He just arrived and he was already wearing that crappy look on his face.

“Hyung, is there anything wrong?” Jonghyun asked after one round of practice ended. “You looked like you just lost on some game.”

“Someone’s trying to get the director’s heart, too…” He said with a crying voice. “It’s fine, alright, but it’s not fair since he’s one big name. Tell me, kids, how can I fight that foreigner?”

“You don’t have any chance on the director, anyway, hyung. It’s fine. You can move on.” Key said frankly. “Don’t think too much about it. You will find someone better fitted to you.”

“Are you saying I have no chance to date her ever?” The manager stood up and showed Key an angry expression.

“Not like that, but Director Hwejin, after coming back from U.S, has already raised her standards when it comes in finding someone to date. Look how she completely got over with Onew hyung and now she doesn’t if he’s around or not anymore! It’s like… Hwejin-ssi forgot about him as if nothing happened in the past. That’s how high her standards have become. High enough that she can even resist her ex lover.”

“Yah! Kim Kibum!” Onew shouted, making Key realized that the manager had no clue about the past relationship Key was talking about just now.

“What do you mean ex-lover? Onew… you…” He looked at Onew and he lowered his gaze, afraid that he would have an eye contact with the manager. “You… had a relationship with her in the past?”

Onew nodded slightly. “But it’s over. It’s been 5 years.” He said and looked to finally meet other people’s gaze. “Let’s not make any big deal about this things, okay?” He said.

Minho then silently made his way towards Onew and looked at him seriously, “But hyung… now that someone else is seriously courting the Director, are you sure you’re not feeling anything? Even a little jealousy? Or bitterness? Or anything?”

Onew sighed and shook his head, “Will it make any changes if I happen to feel anything about what is happening? We’ve moved on a long time ago, when are you guys going to forget about it, too?”

“Are you sure you won’t regret not taking her back when you had the chance, too? It seems to me that you’re telling us you won’t care whether she gets a boyfriend or not. Are you sure you don’t feel anything for her at all? Onew-hyung, this simple thing of ignoring the situation can lead to something that you will regret forever.” Minho uttered.

“I’m fine, Minho-ssi. Thanks for the concern anyways. Oh and yeah, have I told you we talked about this already? Hwejin and I are now friends.” He said and smiled.

“One day, Onew hyung will just realize how inconsistent his feelings have been.” Taemin uttered while trying to learn a certain dance facing the mirror. “So passive… ayy…”

“Yah, you guys. I should be the one you’re pushing to fight for Hwejin, not Onew!” The manager argued. “He said he’s not in love with her anymore so why do you still force him to do something?!”

“Coz hyung… Hwejin and Onew hyung had some past, and it’s really a waste to just throw it away… while you…” Jonghyun placed his hand on the manager’s shoulder. “You… you can find someone else you’ll pay attention to.”