Exhausting

When You Were Mine

 

“You should sleep first and I’ll wake you up when the food is ready.” Key said while helping Taemin to get to his room. He acquired heavy fever right after their performance, now it’s even hard for him to walk without getting out of balance.

“Oh.” Taemin uttered as he reached for his pocket. “Hyung… my phone. I left it in the practice room.” He told him.

“Eh?!” Key said a bit loud. The other 3 members also paid attention. “You left it? Aish, really, Taemin-ah.”

“It’s okay, Kibum, I’ll get it.” Onew said and ran to his room to get his car key. “I’ll be back in a bit. You all go eat without me. Make sure Taemin takes his medicine.” He said and immediately left to go back to the practice room.

As he parked his car, he noticed another familiar car few spaces from his. He looked at it closely after he got off. “Isn’t this her car?” He frowned and wondered how she was still in the company at this hour.

His entrance to the company was also Hwejin’s exit. They met each other right at the glass door.

There was exactly 4 seconds of them just standing there staring each other. They don’t know if they will great each other or just walk pass as if the other one wasn’t there.

“Why are you still here, Director Son?” He decided to talk to her since he wanted to ask a question he’s been curious of right when he saw her car.

“Oh, yeah, I need to make some revisions about the concert so I finished it all before goi—“ She wasn’t able to finish her statement because she couldn’t control yawning. Onew saw how tired she looked.

“Oh, okay. Please go home and take some rest.” His automatic politeness appeared and even bowed 90 degrees to her as if she was a sunbae or someone older.

“Deh. Please get some rest, too.” Probably an effect of being so exhausted, Hwejin walked away right after saying that without even asking what he was doing there at that hour as well.

Onew watched as she headed out of the building. He saw how she exercised her neck while massaging her shoulder as she walked her way to the car. He sighed and decided to go look for Taemin’s cellphone so he could go home and have some rest, too.

Hwejin took a deep breath and rested her arms on the steering wheel. “What a great sight to end my day.” She said pertaining to her small encounter with Onew just now. “I should’ve just left earlier or later. Why do I have to bump with him during this unexpected hour?” She shook her head and acted like she’s dusting it off. “Or was I just hallucinating? Hai, I’m just probably so tired.” She uttered and started the engine. Fail. She started it again. Fail. She started it for the 3rd time. Fail.

“Why do you have to be like this? I need to go home, yah!” She said and hit the steering wheel in frustration. Hwejin went out of the car and was about to check the machine when she realized she has no knowledge when it comes to fixing a car. “What should I do?” She asked and lazily leaned on her car while she yawned. It was almost 2 am and she already wants to go home to have some sleep. She also needs to be up by 7 to prepare for another work again.

She was thinking deeply when Onew came back. “Why are you still here?” It was the same question he asked when both of them met at the entrance just few minutes ago. “Oh, something happened to your car?” He asked.

She wanted to seem okay for the last minute so she acted like one. “It’s fine. I think I can fix it.” She said and stood up acting she was going to fix something in it.

Instead of giving a reply, Onew just stood there and silently watched her if she really could do something about it. “You even don’t know how to hold those wires properly.” He uttered after noticing how she manipulated the things located there.

“Fine Fine Fine. I don’t know how to fix this freakin’ stuff now I think I have to get a cab to get home.” She admitted finally. “You can go home now.”

“You can’t get a cab by this time.” He said. “It’s already 2 am.”

“I’ll walk myself home then.” She asked and immediately took her bag from the car.

“I’ll take you home.” Onew announced. Hwejin stopped and looked at him, as if she was estimating if he’s telling the truth or not. “I saw you, and I already learned how you can’t go home because your car is in trouble. How am I supposed to sleep now that I know someone out there might not be able to go home fine? Come on, I’ll drop you home before going back to the dorm.” He uttered.

“I can still manage. Please don’t worry about me.” She said and started walking.

But immediately stopped when a hand grabbed her wrist. She looked back at Onew.

“There are times when you need to stop resisting a situation, not because you’re weak, but rather because you know that’s for the better.”

What he said made her out of her mind that she allowed her to be dragged inside Onew car. Before she could make another protest, she realized Onew has finally started the car.