Symbol

Meeting By Coincidence

 

ENJOY 


 

 

I couldn’t believe what my ears had just heard as I ran back up the stairs into my room. I leaned against my pink wardrobe and put a hand on my chest. My heart was thumping loudly, getting almost out of control. This can't be real… I reached down to my arm and pinched the skin.

“Ouch…” It was clearly not a dream. I remembered falling asleep in the tent a few nights ago, hoping that it was possible for someone like Kris to like me. And that had now come true… I squealed quietly and jumped around the room in happiness, slowly losing my sanity. I still had my doubts about allowing this to go forward, since Kris would leave soon and I had no clue what would happen to us then, but I decided to take him up on his suggestion and spend these few days with him and leave the worries for later. I opened the wardrobe and stretched my arm up to the highest shelf, which I still had to tip-toe to reach. I felt around until I felt the familiar square shape and pulled it down.

Opening the white box, I looked down at the platinum ring that was lying on the satin.

FLASHBACK

The two children were sitting in the parlour waiting for their grandmother after she had told them to wait there for her while she went to retrieve something she had to give to them. It had been a month since their grandfather had passed on, and they were back in their grandmother’s care after their parents had once again disappeared on a business trip. Fifteen-year-old Sirrah looked towards her brother with a curious expression.

“What do you think she’s going to give us?” She asked him.

He looked towards her. She looked healthy. Well, healthier than she had looked in a long time. He could tell she had gone through a change of mind-set. She seemed as if she was now prepared to make an effort in improving her condition. He smiled at her softly. “I don’t know, Princess. I guess we will see in a minute, right?”

She smiled back and nodded at him, resting her head on his shoulder as she waited for their grandmother to return. A few minutes later, the moment they were curiously waiting for finally arrived. Their grandma walked back into the parlour and took her place in her rocking chair, and the two sat up straight at her feet. The old woman leaned forward and held both her hands out. In each hand there was a small white box, which she held out to the two children. They looked at each other and then took them out of her hands with a smile.

Tentatively, they both pulled open the boxes. Sirrah gasped and looked up at her grandmother as her brother mirrored her expression.

“Mamanie, these are your…” Her brother started.

“Wedding rings.” Sirrah finished off for him. She looked towards her grandmother’s neck. It was empty. She looked down at the box in her brother’s hands, to find the chained ring sitting on top of red satin, while her own box held her grandfather’s.

“Yes children, they are. I wanted to pass them onto you two.” Their grandmother smiled.

“But why, Mamanie?” Sirrah questioned.

The woman smiled down at her wistfully. “These rings were a symbol of the love that your grandfather and I shared. Although the love is still there, your grandfather isn’t anymore.” Sirrah’s face fell at that those words. “I want to entrust these rings to you two, in hope that you, too, will find true love at some point in your lives. And when you do, give this to that special person. It will become a symbol of your love along with mine. Consider it my blessings to you, in advance, in case I’m not there to see who you two choose.”

Sirrah placed a hand on top of her grandmother’s. “Mamanie, don’t say that. You will be there.” She frowned, her heart clenching at the thought of her beloved mother-like figure leaving her. Her own mother had never been there for her to connect with, and her only source of motherly love came from her grandma.

Her grandma smiled and rubbed Sirrah’s hand. “That’s life, my angel. I hope that I am here for a long time to see you two grow even more, but everyone has to move on at some point, and no one knows when that is. So I’m making sure I take care of everything in advance.” The two children nodded their heads in understanding.

“Just make sure you don’t give it to every pretty woman you set eyes on,” The old lady wagged a finger at her eighteen-year-old grandson, knowing his habits. Sirrah giggled at her words.

The boy looked up at her with wide eyes. “Mamanie!”

~ ~ ~

I smiled at the memory as I closed the box, covering the ring again. I had deliberated long and hard about my feelings about Kris. At first I had definitely been attracted by his flawless looks, and his charisma, and of course there was the fact that I was a fan, but it had gone far past that now. I moved to my door and looked out. Kris was leaning against the banister, tapping his foot on the floor as he waited for me.

It had taken me a long time to make sure that I wasn’t just star struck by him, but as I watched him, I understood now that it was the way he took care of the people around him; the way he was responsible but playful at the same time; the way his smiles and touches made my insides turn to jelly; the way he could make my heart beat fast just by looking at me; the way all my recent awake moments were filled with thoughts of nothing but him; the way I could open up to him like no one else; the way his arms around me made me feel safe and protected; the way the thought of him leaving me made my heart ache beyond explanation, that had led me to realise that I could spend the rest of my life with this man, through happiness and sorrow, without a single complaint.

I heard him sigh from the stairs and I giggled. He is a little impatient at times though. I left my room and walked back down the stairs. He caught the movement from the corner of his eye and looked up towards me. His eyes immediately lit up as he saw me, and I could see unlimited amounts of affection in them which made my decision even more firm. He was the one for me. I looked down at the box in my hands. The one who deserves the symbol of my love.

I smiled up at him before I looked down again and opened the box. I took the ring out, holding the chain up in front of him and look up into his questioning eyes.

“It was my grandpa’s… I… I want you to have it.” I told him, shyly. His expression softened and his eyes slightly widened. His lips parted a bit as if he wanted to say something, but nothing came out. In the end he nodded his head in acceptance. “I’ll put it on.” I smiled and wrapped the chain around his neck, while he leaned forward so I could reach better. He was barely a few centimetres away from me. I stared into his eyes, in which I could see my reflection. I gave him a soft smile and moved away after clasping the necklace in place. He looked down at it, and I ran my fingers over it, liking the way it was resting on his chest.

“It was my grandpa’s wedding ring. They got them put onto chains on their first anniversary and wore them ever since until... My brother has my grandma’s. She told him to give it to the girl he find’s true love in.” I really hoped that he would understand the hidden message in that, because I didn’t have the guts to actually say the words. If my grandma had told my brother that while giving him her ring, then surely he would realise that she would have said the same thing to me when giving me my grandpa’s. I didn’t want to say those three words and creep him out. He had said he liked me, not loved me.

His eyes widened after hearing what I had just said and he stared at me with his mouth hanging open. Looks like he understood…?

“D-did… did your grandma say the same thing to you?” He asked me with a wary expression.

As long as I don’t have to say it. I nodded my head slowly, trying to gauge his reaction.

His eyes got impossibly wider.

“S-so…that means you…” He trailed off. He wants me to say it. I averted my eyes, and looked around nervously. I can’t say it. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn’t be able to get it out. “Do you lo-”

“Let me show you the rest of the house!” I cut him off before he could complete his question and grabbed his hand, tugging him down the stairs. I wasn’t ready to tell him yet, even though I was sure of my feelings.

Maybe one day, hopefully soon, I’ll be able to tell you, Kris…

Tell you that I love you.

 


I'm back! WITH A VENGEANCE!....ok so maybe not with a vengeance, but i'm back nonetheless lol. 

DID YOU GUYS MISS ME?! I know you did, i missed you too...and if you say no, i'll just pretend i never saw it ^^

Not the longest update, but i wanted to get rid of the internal monologue before i got onto the 'good stuff'...all in celebration for getting my laptop back! ^^

I'm sure it will break again in a couple of days because its a big chunk of junk....but i'll enjoy it while its still here! lol

+

 

Anyway! I have a story recommendation for all of you! It's written by a lovely friend of mine, and in my opinion, it's awesome! Unfortunately, it's not getting as much attention as the author or I would like for it to get, so i'm recommending it here, in hopes that it will interest some of you! It's centred around KRIS!! i know you all love kris...

Go ahead and check it out! It really is great and deserves way more attention! Although she doesnt update very often, it's worth it when she does, so please go and cheer her on too, and you would make me a happy bunny ^^ and comment if you guys can!

Feedback is always helpful to authors!

Check it out here!  Temptation of the Taken

You will find all of my comments on there....cuz i'm awesome like that ^^

Look at some of Reddragon's other stuff to, some of it is really good ^^

I am going to get some shut-eye now, because i am sleepy and its 8.30am....goodmorning!!