CHAPTER 77: INSECURITY

Stupid Love Letter

 

 

======================================================================

 

 

 

At the dining table,

 

Jinhee and her father were secretly giving signs to each other to start a conversation since everything has become uncomfortable because of what happened between Zelo and Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol noticed them and immediately spoke up. “I think I should just leave. Everything became messed up because I’m here. I’m really sorry.” He mumbled apologetically as he was about to stand up.

 

Jinhee’s father stopped him. “No, you don’t need to go. It’s not your fault anyway. Maybe Junhong is not just used that you’re around that’s why he did that. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t know you yet.” Jinhee’s father explained.

 

Jinhee butted in. “No, they already met before.” She mumbled as she chomped on her barbeque. Then she turned to Chanyeol. “Right?” She asked him.

 

“We personally know each other.” Chanyeol stated as he eyed Zelo. “I’m his brother.”

 

Zelo closed his eyes with a small sigh. *Why did he say that?* He hought as he clenched his fists in fury.

 

*Brother? So they’re siblings?* Jinhee’s eyes widened as she turned to Zelo. “You ..never told me this.” She told him. Disappointment was evident in her face.

 

Zelo never told her anything about him having a brother. It’s not like he have to or she’s forcing him to. But she was his girlfriend right? And as his girlfriend, shouldn’t she atleast know that?

 

..

 

 

Zelo focused his eyes on his plate.

 

“So you’re really his brother?” Jinhee’s father asked Chanyeol.

 

He nodded with a curt smile. “Yes.”

 

Jinhee examined Zelo then she turned to Chanyeol. “But you don’t look the same.”

 

“Zelo’s skin is paler.” Her dad added.

 

Jinhee nodded in recognition. “That’s right. And Chanyeol’s ears are a bit rounder.”

 

“I think Chanyeol is more handsome than his brother. What do you think Jinhee?”

 

Zelo stopped eating and focused his eyes on his plate. He felt bad being compared with his brother. *Even Aboji thinks that Chanyeol hyung is better than me.* He pouted. *But I know Jinhee will definitely choose me.* Zelo thought as he silently peeked at her.

 

“Yes. I think you’re right about that Appa.” She answered.

 

Zelo scowled as he silently sighed. *Even Jinhee.. thinks the same.*

 

Jinhee looked at Zelo again. “But you don’t really look alike.” She mumbled.

 

Her father noticed that Zelo was already uneasy because of their topic. The expression on his face looked sad.

 

“Right Appa? They don’t---“
 

“Let’s just eat.” He smiled at them.

 

 

 

 

“Appa, I’ll just accompany Zelo to the bus stop.” Jinhee said before closing the door.

 

Then she turned to Zelo. “Let’s go.” She smiled as she held his arm. Zelo gave her a small smile. Jinhee noticed it. “Are you still mad at me?” She asked him.

 

“When did I ever get mad at you?”

 

“But you’re different today.” Jinhee pointed out.

 

“It’s getting dark. You should go home now and do your assignments.” Zelo mumbled as he gave her a weak smile while ruffling her hair.

 

“I don’t have assignments to answer.” Jinhee grinned at him.

 

“Really? How is that possible? So unfair.” Zelo pouted.

 

“Chanyeollie already helped me answer those during break time.” Jinhee said.

 

*Chanyeollie?* Zelo frowned. *Are they that close for her to call him that? But she never calls me Junhongie or whatever that sounds sweet.* He turned to her. “He’s helping you with your assignments?” He asked to clarify things.

 

Jinhee nodded. “Yes. Specially the Maths. He’s a good tutor. Unlike someone here.” She .

 

“Okay. Sorry for not being a good tutor.” he mumbled half-heartedly.

 

Jinhee bumped his shoulder lightly. “I was just kidding! You’re too emotional today!”

 

Zelo didn’t say anything. He just nodded in acknowledgement.

 

“And now that I think of it, you never told me that he’s your brother!” Jinhee pouted.

 

Zelo sighed. He didn’t really like it when they’re talking about this topic. “It’s because… uh.. I didn’t know how to.”

 

“But you don’t look alike at all.” Jinhee recalled. Zelo frowned. *She’ll compare us again.*

 

“Jinhee, I don’t---“ Zelo tried to explain but Jinhee cut him off.

 

“Chanyeol’s eyes are slightly rounder. His ears are extremely different from yours. And the teeth! You have baby milk teeth but he doesn’t have those. And your nose shapes are different too! And also the face shape. His face is slim and yours is round.”

 

Zelo didn’t say anything and just let her finish talking. He couldn’t help but feel insecure of his brother. *So does that mean she’s always looking at him that’s why she noticed all of those?*

 

Without them noticing it, they were already at the bus stop.

 

“Are you really sure you’re siblings?” Jinhee asked him for the nth time.

 

Zelo sighed before he finally spoke. “I’m adopted remember?” He said as he turned to her. There was a hint of irritation in his voice.

 

Jinhee bit her lip. Guilt subsided in her chest. *I totally forgot.*

 

“I’m sorry. I really---“

 

Zelo gave him a weak smile. “You forgot? It’s okay. You don’t have to remember.” He mumbled sarcastically.

 

*He’s mad at me.* Jinhee thought as she pouted. “I promise I won’t bring up this---“

 

“Every year, we have our family gathering. All of our relatives will be there. And every year, without fail, they’ll always compare me to Chanyeol hyung. They point out everything wrong about me. And always praise him. And my mom will be the first one to point out all of my flaws.”

 

“Junhong-ah…”

 

“And everytime they compare us, I would always feel hurt. Who wouldn’t right?” He asked her with a grin. “But now I realized that it hurts more when you’re the one who compares us. I’m sorry I became the President of our class. I didn’t have more time to be with you. And I wasn’t able to be a good tutor. I’m sorry because Chanyeol hyung is smarter than me. I’m sorry because we don’t look alike. I’m sorry because my brother is better-looking than me. I’m sorry. I’m just Choi Junhong and I can’t even match up to Park Chanyeol.” Zelo said. His eyes were watery. His tears were threatening to fall.

 

“That’s not what I meant..” Jinhee tried to explain.

 

At that moment, the bus already came. And Jinhee wasn’t able to continue what she was about to say.

 

Zelo tried to smile. “It’s okay. I’m used to this feeling. I feel this every year. I’ll be okay again tomorrow. Uh… You should go home now. Tell Aboji ‘Happy Birthday’ for me. I’ll go now. The bus is here.” Zelo tried to act like everything is okay. But Jinhee knew he isn’t okay.

 

She felt as if anytime he went inside the bus, he’ll be crying a bucket of tears.

 

“Are you mad? I’m sorry.” Jinhee apologized.

 

“I’m not mad. I’m hurt. But I’ll be okay tomorrow. Don’t worry. I’m used to this. Take care on your way home.” He mumbled before finally walking away. Zelo entered the bus and sat beside the window. But he didn’t even looked back to her. He was crying. Probably.

 

*How could I forget something so important?!* Jinhee thought guiltily as she hit her head with her fist. “I’m so stupid.”

 

 

 

 

=====================================================================

 

 

 

HEAT won~ *____*