CHAPTER 38: INSECURITY

Stupid Love Letter

 

======================================================

 

 

I entered the school gate with a loud grunt. I was absent last week and they had tons of homeworks. I didn’t have enough time to sleep. My dark circles. Plus, that Junhong invaded my house and told me stupid things like I’m pregnant. I shook my head with a small smile. *That idiot is really.. fascinating.*

I suddenly remembered how he cut the watermelon. And I unconsciously chuckled. Some of the students walking beside me turned to me and gave me a weird look. I just looked away in embarrassment.

 

“Jinhee!”

 

Even though I did not look back to see who called me, I already knew who it was. Zelo. And I know it’s weird but now that he’s here, I suddenly felt a small glint of happiness inside of me.

He grabbed my arm to stop me from walking as he panted. “I was calling you! Didn’t you hear me?” He ranted with a pout.

He’s seriously a baby. A humongous baby. “What is it?” I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest.

“Don’t you know what date is it today?” He beamed happily.

“Today?” I tilted my head and tried to think. “October… 15 right?” I asked him.

He eagerly nodded. “Correct!”

“So? What’s up with October 15?” I asked him blankly.

He smiled and bumped his shoulders with mine. “Aigoo. You’re saying you don’t know what special day it is today?” He asked me.

I innocently shook my head. “I really don’t know.”

“Try to guess.”

I bit my lip as I tried to think. Since Zelo looks so happy about it…

“Do we have suspension of classes today?” I excitedly asked.

He made a face at me. “Stop acting like you actually don’t know what date is it today. I know you’ve been looking forward to this day!” He brightened.

My brows pinched together in confusion. A day I’ve been looking forward to?

Before I could say anything, a girl came running towards him and handed him a gift. “Oppa! Happy birthday!” She greeted him.

My eyes widened. It’s his …birthday? Crap. I don’t even know about it. And I don’t have a gift. I bit my lower lip in guilt. I’m his girlfriend and yet I don’t even know his birthday.

Zelo turned to me and noticed that I looked uneasy. He suddenly slung his arm around my shoulder. “Sorry. Starting from today and until my last birthday, I’m only going to receive gifts from Park Jinhee.” He proudly stated as he grinned.

I felt a tiny spark inside of me when he said that but that's when I realized that I don't have a gift for him. He even said he’s only going to receive a gift from me. What he didn’t know is I don’t even have an idea about his birthday. What a really useless girlfriend. The girl bowed and sadly left.

“You should’ve accepted her gift.” I mumbled as I eyed the girl who sadly walked away. Yes. Junhong should’ve accepted her gift because I don’t have a gift for him.

He shook his head. “You’re my girlfriend. I should be loyal to you.” I opened my mouth to protest. “Look, I don’t even kno---“ He suddenly pinched my nose to stop me from talking. “So what do you have for me? A boxed lunch? Another letter? A hand stitched stuff toy? I’m so excited about it. I wonder what my lovely girlfriend has for me.” He excitedly beamed while squeezing my cheeks.

I slowly looked at the ground not knowing what to say to him. He’s really expecting that I have a gift for him. Guilt sank deeper inside of me.

He quietly studied me as he slowly removed his hands from my cheeks. “Could it be that you don’t have a gift for me? It’s ..it’s okay. I’m too old for a gift. I’m not a kid anymore! Look! I’m so tall!” Zelo said as he stood up straight. I weakly smiled at him. “I don’t need a gift. Really.” He assured me as he took my hand and squeezed it.

“ZELO OPPA!” A flock of girls screamed as they handed their gifts wrapped in colorful wrappers and boxes just for him. Looks like they really put a lot of effort in it. But they’re not the girlfriend. I am. I should be the one doing those.

The day just started and I already feel bad. I feel irritated, horrible and …insecure. I turned to Zelo. “I’ll go ahead. See you later.” I said as I turned my back on him. “And.. the gift.. you’ll see it later.” I mumbled as I walked away.

“You have a gift for me?” He excitedly asked.

I just ignored him and continued walking.

 

..

 

I stopped by my locker and lightly banged my head on it. Stupid Jinhee. Why did you say you have a gift for him?! Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I thought to myself while banging my head on the locker door.

“Looks like you’re having fun.” Lime grinned at me.

“Yeah. Try it. It’s very relaxing.” I sarcastically mumbled. “And yeah. I still haven’t forgotten the fact that you also tricked Zelo about me being.. ugh.. pregnant.” I mumbled almost choking. Lime just grinned at me. I just rolled my eyes at her. I bet she was forced to do that because Himchan asked her to.

“So, what’s the problem?” Lime asked as she made me turn to her while completely changing the topic. I deeply sighed as I told her everything that happened earlier.

“Mmm. So you said you have a gift for him out of jealousy.” Lime justified as she nodded.

“Hey I’m not jealous.” I snapped at her.

“Then why didn’t you just tell him the truth?”

I bit my lower lip and tried to think. “He was expecting me to give him a gift. He looked really happy about it and he even said he’ll only receive gifts from me but I don’t even have an idea that it’s his birthday.” I confessed.

Lime gazed at me intently. “Looks like you’re falling for Zelo.”

My eyes widened at what she said. Me? Falling for him? “No! I’m not!” I firmly denied.

Lime shrugged at me. “Then why’re you so problematic about his birthday?”

I fidgeted my fingers while trying to find the right thing. Yes. Why was I so affected with his birthday? When I knew that it was his birthday, there was a threadlike irritation I felt inside my chest and maybe I was also irritated with the fangirls. But.. “I’m his girlfriend. I should be. Right? About gifts.. what could be the best gift I could give him?” I asked her. Yes. I wanted my gift for him to be the best. I want to beat his fangirl’s expensive gifts. I want mine to stand out. I want to give him the best gift.

“The best gift? You. He’ll be really happy with that. Trust me.” I whacked Lime’s head as I turned crimson. “I’m serious.” I said as I crossed my arms over my chest. ”I am too.” She pouted at me.

 

….

 

 

At the classroom, everyone was busy jotting down notes. And I was writing down the possible gifts for him. Good thing he’s sitting at the back at this time. So what would I give him? A shirt? Perfume? A cap? New skateboard? But his fangirls already thought of those. I thought as I immediately scribbled those out in irritation. *Those girls are really.. why do they have to give him a gift?!* I thought as I sighed deeply while trying to think about what to give to him.

Suddenly, my seatmate passed a small note to me. “What’s this?” I asked her. She pointed to Zelo at the back who smiled heartily at me with a small wave. *So it’s from him.* I just nodded at him with a small smile. I opened the letter and silently read it.

 

 

I’m so excited for later! :D

                            -Zelo

 

My heart twisted in guilt as I folded the letter and kept it inside my notebook. Now I really have to think about the best gift to give him. That's when an idea suddenly came to me. 

 

 

======================================================

 

THANK YOU FOR READING/ COMMENTING/ SUBSCRIBING~! <333 GODBLESS EVERYONE! :DDD