[eighteen] His gift.

She's dating EXO's Kai

 

Seoul, South Korea – May 20, 2016

LEE JIYEON | AYAKA

      The night was ending and I really enjoyed the night together with my family, old friends and my new friends but somehow, I felt that there’s still missing. I guess Kai will never really come. I understand, though it wouldn’t hurt for him to greet me a happy birthday through message or call.

      I stood in front everyone for the main event which is the candle blowing. I also took the time to thank them.

      “First of all, I want to thank my family for making this party possible. I thought I’m going to spend my eighteenth birthday without them but I guess, they wouldn’t miss my birthday for the world. I also want to thank my friends and classmates who came all the way here from Japan. Thank you for making me see how much you care. And to my new found friends here in Korea who didn’t make me feel that I am alone.” I smiled at everyone and tears started to well up my eyes, “I’ve never been away from my mom and dad for such a long time that’s why I’m very emotional right now to see them again after a month.” I told everyone.

      “Thank you for all the wishes and birthday greetings. I love you guys!” I smiled as I closed my eyes and wished.

      “Thank you God for adding another year in my life. I don’t want to wish anything, I just want to thank You for everything.”

      I smiled and finally blew my candles out.

      The crowd clapped and cheered for me but everyone was shocked when the lights suddenly went out.

      “Hey, what’s happening?” I asked.

      A blinding light focused on me and then I realized that it was a spotlight.

      “What is this now?” I asked under my breath.

      The crowd was silent and all I can hear is my heart beating. Then music started playing and if I’m right, it is EXO CBX’s “For you”. I looked everywhere to see what’s happening but I was shocked when the door opened and a tall man was walking his way to the hall. Another spotlight lit up and it was turned to the man walking. And I was shocked to see Kai walking down the hall, holding a bouquet of flowers. He went to the stage and smiled at me.

      “Happy birthday, Ayaka.” He smiled as he gave me the bouquet that he was holding.

      It was a red carnation bouquet.

      “I-I thought you wouldn’t make it?” I asked him, surprised.

      “I don’t want to miss my girlfriend’s birthday you know.” He smiled and hugged me tight.

      “Happy birthday,” he breathed again.

      I was shocked, dumbfounded even. I didn’t expect him to prepare this much. He told me beforehand that he wouldn’t make it and I understand but I didn’t thought of him doing this.

      “T-thank you,” I answered, stuttering.

      “Sorry for the gift,” he laughed as he scratched his head.

      I finally smiled, “Your gift is beautiful.” I answered back.

      “No, that’s not my gift.” He smiled.

      What? I was confused with what he said.

      “What do you mean?” I asked.

      “Can I have this dance?” he asked me, asking for my hand.

      I smiled and took his hands while I left the flowers on the chair. We started dancing to the music and soon, others joined us.

      “And when did you plan this dance of yours?” I asked him.

      “Just yesterday.” He smiled, “This is my gift, do you like it?” he asked me.

      “You’re really weird.” I laughed, “A dance as a gift?” I asked him.

      “You should be honored to be dancing with me right now.” He joked. “Anyway, thank you Ayaka,” he exclaimed as he pulled me into a hug but we were still dancing.

      Can you imagine that? We were that close! But I don’t know why but I don’t feel awkward, not even a bit.

      “Thank you? For what?” I asked him.

      “For being my best friend.” He answered, “I’ve been alone since my friends left Korea. The only one I have is Sooyeon but when you came into my life, you added more color to it. You’re a pain in the , you know that?” I quickly smacked his head but he just laughed it off.

      Kai was thanking me and all and I suddenly felt happy. The missing piece that I was searching for a moment ago is already here. My birthday is complete now that one of my best friends is here.

      “But still, you’re my best friend. I’m forever grateful that I met you.” He smiled, “I also want to thank you for helping me with everything especially for helping me out with my relationship with Sooyeon. You saved us, you saved me.” He smiled, “You also taught me things that were new to me.” He exhaled as he leaned towards me.

      Suddenly, I felt my heartbeat rose. My face felt like it was burning… or was I blushing?

      “You taught me things about life and love and because of that, I am changed. Thank you Ayaka,” he smiled.

      We pulled from each other and he looked into my eyes.

      His eyes were beautiful as ever. It feels like I was drowning in the depth of his eyes and I don’t want to be saved. There were still words that were left unsaid but through his eyes that are piercing through my soul, it feels like he’s telling me everything through his gaze.

      “Happy birthday Ayaka,” he exclaimed.

 

Seoul, South Korea – May 23, 2016

      It has been days after my birthday celebration and almost everyone here in school knew what happened even though they weren’t invited. It’s because of Gayoung since she posted Kai and my picture dancing together. I was fine with it not until I saw how the students reacted. When I went to school yesterday, everyone was glaring at me and it’s as if they want to kill me. I just decided to brush them off and continue with my life.

      By the way, my parents already know about Kai and I. They already know that we are dating and my brother even wanted to talk to him personally but good thing they went home the day after my birthday since everyone was busy.

      The past few days was hell since Kai kept on pestering me at home. We became so close after my birthday party, well maybe because of the dance.

      Right now, I am with Kai in the classroom. We’re having Language class and this guy beside me is so rude! He’s texting while the teacher is teaching in front.

      “You seem busy,” I exclaimed out of the blue, “What are you doing?” I asked.

      He’s actually using our couple phone. My couple phone is actually at home, I don’t usually use it since it feels weird.

      “Sooyeon is mad at me,” he exclaimed.

      “Why?” I asked.

      “It’s because I didn’t accompany her to school and she found out that I accompanied you. She’s jealous again.” He muttered.

      What?! What’s wrong with her!

      “Is she serious?! She’s the one who begged me to be your fake girlfriend and here she is, getting jealous?” I asked as I rolled my eyes heavenwards.

      “Yeah, I know but still, she’s mad.” Kai sighed, “Go home alone, I need to meet her.” He told me, his eyes fixed on his phone.

      Somehow, I felt mad with what he said. He already told me that he’s going home with me and then he’ll tell me that I need to go home alone? Tsk.

      “Fine,” I answered back, “I’ll just ask Myung to accompany me home since his house is on the way.” I blurted out suddenly.

      He stopped texting and glared at me.

      “You’re not going home with that guy.” He warned me, his tone was scary.

      I was terrified with his tone but I still acted like it didn’t bother me.

      “And why not? I need someone to accompany me.” I told him as I raised my eyebrows.

      “Tss,” he hissed, “What’s your relationship with him anyway?” he asked, irritated.

      “My best friend,” I answered back.

 

      It’s already lunch time and I’m not with Kai right now. I’m with Gayoung and Myungsoo at the back of the gymnasium. Kai is nowhere to be seen. He’s probably with Sooyeon right now, hiding.

      “So where’s your Kai?” Gayoung suddenly teased and I immediately glared at her.

      “Don’t tease me,” I told her, “He’s somewhere else.” I answered.

      “I can’t really believe that the two of you are dating.” Gayoung exclaimed.

      I can’t believe it either.

      I was about to bite from my sandwich when my phone rang. Lo and behold, it’s the mighty Kai. Can’t he just give me some time alone?! I just want to eat without seeing him! I’m really pissed off with him right now and I don’t know why.

      “What?!” I asked as soon as I answered his call.

      “Why the heck are—“ he didn’t finish what he was about to say and sighed, “Just go to the rooftop and meet me.” He exclaimed as he hang up.

      I rolled my eyes and quickly fixed my things.

      “Guys, I need to go.” I told Gayoung and Myungsoo.

      “Why? What’s the matter?” Myungsoo asked.

      “Maybe her boyfriend called her.” Gayoung teased.

      I just sighed and smiled at them, “Eat without me, this will take long.” I told them as I rushed to the rooftop.

      I arrived at the rooftop and saw Kai looking at the scenery of the school.

      “What do you need?” I asked him as I crossed my arms.

      “Why weren’t you using our couple phone?!” he asked.

      Wait, is angry because of that?

      “How did you know?” I asked him, avoiding his question.

      “It’s out of coverage, dummy.” He told me, “Anyway, I didn’t call you for that. I just need someone.” He exclaimed as he sat near the fence.

      He looked so sad and my anger towards him suddenly melted. I quickly sat beside him and looked at the sky. The weather’s kind of gloomy today. I guess it’s going to rain.

      “What happened?” I asked, lending him my ear.

      “She walked away.”

      I immediately know that it’s Sooyeon that he’s talking about.

      “And why?” I asked.

      “She said she’s jealous.” He answered as he looked down.

      “It’s all an act for Pete’s sake! She’s the one who wanted to do this and then she’s acting like this? She’s so annoying.” I exclaimed.

      Kai didn’t respond anymore, instead he leaned towards my shoulder and rests his head.

      “K-kai…” I called him.

      “Can we stay like this for a while?” he asked.

      Even though I can’t see his face, I can clearly tell that he’s crying. I can feel his hot tears dampening my uniform.

      “This relationship is too damn hard,” he cursed, “If it weren’t for my family, we could have a great relationship.” He choked with his words and cried.

      We stayed like that for who knows when and he was just there crying. I didn’t dare to speak but he tried to break the ice.

      “Aren’t you going to say words to soothe me?” he asked still leaning on my shoulders, “Will you not give me some advices?”

      I smiled, “People don’t always need advices or words. Sometimes, all they need is a shoulder to lean on, an ear that will listen and a heart that will understand them.” I told him.

      “You know, you’re right.” He said, agreeing with me. “It’s my first time to hear that and somehow, you really did comfort me. All my life, people had been telling me that it’s going to be okay or they will tell me to stop crying but none of those comforted me.” Kai muttered, “Thanks, thanks for your time.”

      I may not be able to see Kai but I know that he is smiling, a smile that I’m the cause.


Author's message ♥

I'm going to be busy these upcoming days since my final exams are coming and I need to study hard to pass my subjects especially in Accounting. I'm on second year in college so I really need to do my best with my studies. But I will still try my best to update for you guys!

I also want to take this chance to congratulate my babies who won big at the MMA 2016! Especially to Taeyeon who won "Top 10 Artists" and as well as my babies, EXO who won a total of five awards! Good job babies ♥

With much love, Han Jihyun


1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.