[seventeen] Happy birthday.

She's dating EXO's Kai

 

Seoul, South Korea – May 20, 2016

LEE JIYEON | AYAKA

      “Bye Jiyeon! See you later!” Gayoung waved at me.

      “Bye! See you later!” I smiled as I bid her goodbye.

      It’s already dismissal time and I need to rush home to get dressed and then head to the place that Keiko-chan had booked. She told me that it’s just a simple restaurant and I was thankful for that. I don’t actually like my birthday to be grand this year since I don’t have many friends to spend it with. It’s my 18th birthday today but somehow, I don’t feel like it. It feels like something’s missing.

      Oh yeah, something’s really missing. My family’s not here. I always celebrate my birthday with my family. We celebrate it with a grand party in Japan. All of my friends and my families are invited. I always look forward to it whenever May starts but for this year… I just want to go home in Japan and eat with my family.

      I went home and hurriedly went upstairs to wash and change myself. I decided to wear a simple pastel dress with a cut ribbon on my waist. This is the dress that my brother had brought me before I went here in Korea. I haven’t worn this before but it sure looks good. After changing clothes and washing myself, I put on some light make-up and made my way downstairs.

      I arrived downstairs and saw Keiko-chan and Seojoon-oppa smiling at me.

      “You look so beautiful,” Seojoon-oppa smiled at me.

      “Thank you,” I smiled back.

      “Happy birthday Ayaka,” Keiko-chan exclaimed as she pulled me into a hug.

      After that, we rode Seojoon-oppa’s car and headed to the place where I’m going to celebrate my birthday. I invited Myungsoo and Gayoung today and they said that they’ll come. Keiko-chan already told them where to go so I’m expecting to see them there later.

      “Is Kai coming?” Keiko-chan blurted out suddenly.

      I smiled awkwardly and coughed, “I don’t know since he’s not sure. He’s a busy man after all.” I told them.

      We arrived at a restaurant named FRADIA and we went inside. It was a really fancy restaurant and I smell something fishy about this. We arrived in front of a big door and my heart was beating fast, I don’t know why. The door opened and—“HAPPY BIRTHDAY AYAKA!” I was shocked when party poppers popped beside me and what made me more shock was to see many people in front of me. Then I realized, they weren’t just some random people… they were my classmates in Japan and my families that lives here in Korea.

      I wanted to cry and be thankful to everyone. I turned to Keiko-chan and hugged her tight.

      “Thank you Keiko-chan,” I exclaimed.

      “Don’t thank me, it’s all mom and dad’s ideas.” She exclaimed.

      Mom and dad? Then does that mean that they are here?!

      “Happy birthday Jiyeon,” Gayoung approached me as she gave me a big hug.

      I felt overwhelmed. I’ve been so sad for the rest of my stay here in South Korea because I deeply miss my family and friends back in Japan but here they are, visiting me for my birthday.

      “Thank you Gayoung,” I smiled and hugged her back.

      “Happy birthday Jiyeon,” I looked at Gayoung’s back and saw Myungsoo standing before us.

      Gayoung pulled away from me and let Myungsoo hug me.

      “Thank you for coming Myung,” I told him.

      “Of course, I wouldn’t miss this for the world.” He answered back.

      I looked around the place and saw my old classmates.

      “Yatsumi!” I squealed as I ran to her place.

      Yatsumi Minamoto has been my best friend since I was five. We saw each other grow and I just missed her so much!

      “I missed you!” I exclaimed.

      “I missed you too.” She exclaimed as she cried on my arms.

      “Yah, don’t cry or I’ll cry too.” I told her.

      She sniffed and smiled, “Happy birthday Ayaka.” She greeted.

      After seeing everyone, I suddenly felt sad when I noticed that my parents and Ken-oppa is not here.

      “Keiko-chan, where is mom and dad? How about Ken-oppa?” I asked her.

      “Oh,” she said as her eyes suddenly looked sad, “I’m sorry but they can’t make it.” She sighed, “Ken-oppa is having his business trip together with dad while mom is the one taking care of the business in Japan.”

      I don’t know why but I just wanted to cry. I mean, it’s my birthday and they’re the ones who made this surprise event for me but they didn’t even attend but I know better. I decided to just smile and shrug it off.

      “Is that so? Okay,” I answered back.

      After some time, the program finally started. I was just sitting in front of all the people in front, holding a bouquet that Seojoon-oppa gave me. A normal program was set up, there were few people greeting me through VCRs and there were also performances just for me. Then suddenly, Keiko-chan went to the stage and smiled at me.

      “May I have you attention please?” she asked, holding a glass of wine, “Tonight is a very special night for our dear Ayaka or Jiyeon to some others.” Keiko-chan exclaimed. “Being Ayaka’s sister has been always a fun road.” Keiko-chan turned to me and smiled, “She is one mischievous and caring sister to me, that even though I’m not her true sister, she still values me as one.” I smiled at her and she continued, “Now that she’s eighteen and she has reached the age of the majority, I want to share to everybody what it’s like to be her sister.” She chuckled and looked at everyone in the hall.

      “Ayaka is really caring, loving, and the best sister I could ever have.” She exclaimed, “She is always there whenever I need someone to talk to. She would always make my shoulder feel lighter whenever I’m having a hard time and I’m thankful for that. To tell you the truth, I would sometimes think that she’s mature than I am.” I laughed at her last statement and shook my head, “She would give me advices that seems mature to be coming from a young woman. But today, for sure, I can tell that she is really mature.”

      “Ayaka is also one mischievous sister to me. She may be loving and caring but you can’t take her playfulness from her. She may be mature for sometimes but she still knows how to act her age and do some aegyo.” The crowd laughed at my sister’s speech while I laughed together with them, “She can be a bit immature sometimes especially when she does extreme pranks that could get you off your feet. I remember one time, when our family was going on a picnic; she was tasked to do the kimbap. She did one of the most immature things! She made the kimbap a salt kimbap! She sprinkled lots of salt in it and it tasted like sea water!” everyone laughed while I was there looking so embarrassed.

      “Kidding aside,” Keiko-chan laughed, “As she turns eighteen, I want to tell her that she still has a long way to go but so far, I know that she has been doing her best in everything that she is doing. Always remember that whenever you are facing tough challenges in your life, I’m always here to hear you out and help you. And lastly I want to tell you to continue to be yourself… I want to see the Ayaka that loves others… that cares for others and an Ayaka that sacrifices for others because I know that that is how mom and dad raised us. I love you little girl,” she smiled. My childhood memories suddenly flashed back because of my sister’s pet name, ‘little girl’. I remember that this is what they called me when I was still a small child.

      After that Keiko-chan hugged me and I couldn’t help but to cry and she was just there patting and soothing me.

      “Ayaka,” Keiko-chan whispered, “It’s time for the VCR.” She told me.

      Keiko-chan pulled away from me and I was shocked when the door suddenly opened and the tears that I’ve been holding in finally poured out as soon as I saw my family walking inside the hall. I quickly ran to them and hugged them tight.

      “I thought you’re not coming.” I cried as I hugged my mom tightly.

      “We missed you honey,” my mom exclaimed, choking. She’s probably crying.

      I smiled at her and then turned to dad.

      “Happy birthday sweetie,” he smiled as he kissed my forehead and hugged me tight.

      “Thank you dad,” I answered back.

      “How about my hug?” I turned to Ken-oppa and quickly hugged him tight.

      “I missed you so much, oppa.” I told him as tears started to flow from my eyes.

      “Now don’t cry, you’re ruining your make-up.” He exclaimed as he wiped the tears away from my eyes.

      I smiled at him and wiped my tears.

      “Happy birthday princess.” He exclaimed as he kissed my forehead.

      After that, we finally ate together with the guests but I was busy attending to the guests especially those who came from Japan. As I was walking around the hall, Myungsoo suddenly bumped to me.

      “Hey birthday girl,” he smiled.

      “Hey Myung!” I exclaimed happily.

      “I have something for you.” He muttered out of the blue.

      He gave me a navy blue box.

      “What’s this?” I asked.

      “Birthday gift, you fool,” he laughed as he handed me the box.

      I quickly smiled and accepted his gift.

      “Thank you so much, Myung.” I exclaimed.

      “Open it.” He smiled.

      “Now?” I asked him.

      “Yeah, now.” He answered back.

      I smiled again and quickly opened the box and I was shocked to see a pink Polaroid camera.

      “Polaroid?!” I squealed happily.

      “Don’t you like it?” he asked worriedly but I quickly shook my head and smiled at him.

      “Are you kidding?!” I exclaimed, “I love it!” I told him.

      “Do you want to test it?” Myungsoo smiled and I quickly nodded.

      Both of us posed for a selca and quickly took it. Myungsoo and I looked at each other and he smiled at me.

      “Happy birthday again, Jiyeon.”


Psalm 147:3 - He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.