Chapter 65

Stupid Love

(Chunji POV)

The address is near the school. Chunji ran pass the beach into an area where there are alot of mansions and bungalows. He stopped at one of them. It was dark and empty. Outside the gate, a sign is put up.

"For Sale ------ Call to Check On House."

Chunji looked at the note Changjo gave me. Its the same unit number but they are not around any longer. Chunji placed his hand on the gate, hoping the gate isn't locked. He pushed the gate and true enough it wasn't locked. He stepped in the house, familiar with everything. Chunji saw many people by the swimming pool, they were playing water, on the floats and swimming. A guy stood aside, watching another guy on the float. Its L.Joe. The other guys are Changjo, Niel, Ricky and CAP. It was on the day of the barbeque. He ran his fingers along the bench, his insides crushing.

Chunji opened the main door and walked in to the living room. Except for a few furniture, its completely empty. It was hard to see in the dark but he could make out the staircase. Then he heard laughter.

Chunji turned around, seeing L.Joe's parents, L.Joe and Chunji on the couch.

"Mwo? I can drive? Jeongmal?" L.Joe was so happy to receive the key. Only to know his father didn't allow him to drive.

Chunji bit my lips hard, willing those memories to go away. He walked up the staircase. His eyes darted around, finally landing on the door with the name : Lee Byunghun carved on the plate. They didn't take it away. He was half wishing L.Joe is inside and they haven't moved away. When Chunji opened the door, the room is empty. Just four walls. Empty. He stepped in and closed the door. He stood in the centre of the room turning around, trying to get everything into my head.

"Andwae... Andwae!" Chunji yelled at the top of my lungs.

L.Joe is gone. He is gone.

Chunji ran his fingers through his hair, unable to breathe normally. Chunji kept turning around hoping to see the real room of L.Joe's but it never came. Then he saw L.Joe. On the bed. He's with Chunji( Bold: him images from the past). L.Joe took something out and put it around Chunji's neck. The ring. Chunji touched the ring on his neck, he tied it back as he rushed here. The him was so touched he cried. L.Joe said his is in his chest, Chunji blushed really hard only to realise it is by his chest, under his shirt.

The Chunji asked what was the door doing by the side. The Chunji turned his head with Chunji ,he was looking at a door. Chunji didn't wait for him and L.Joe to reach there, he opened the door and switched on the lights. Its L.Joe's basement room. Chunji slowly walked down the staircase and found himself in the basement room. Nothing had been moved from here at all. Everything is in place. The piano, the bed, everything.

Chunji saw the two of them again. L.Joe on the piano with him, playing a piece. L.Joe teaching him how to play the piano. They were so in love. Tears dropped to the ground as Chunji walked away from the piano. He walked to the place where L.Joe has a visualiser. It was weird but he never allowed Chunji to touch it. L.Joe said the monitor is for recollection. Chunji brushed his fingers along the monitor feeling for a button. Suddenly the monitor lit up, projecting an image on the screen (in italics : images from the past projected to the screen.)

"Smile, byungchick. Become a chicken now." Chunji stood up when L.Joe flapped his arms. Chunji walked over to the beanbag and sat down. L.Joe has been watching this clip before he go.

"My beautiful yeobo, do a heart sign for me please." Chunji bend and did a heart sign over his head.

"Saranghae, L.Joe gun." Chunji giggled. A thumb came on the screen.

"Byung, turn the phone over." the screen now shows L.Joe's and Chunji's faces.

"This pabo here is mine." Chunji poked L.Joe's cheeks as L.Joe puffed them up.

"This boo here is mine." L.Joe kissed my cheek.

"This pabo is too cheesy." Chunji knocked on L.Joe's head and giggled away. L.Joe stuck his tongue out.

"That boo there doesnt know after washing his feet, he has to step on the sand again." L.Joe pointed to Chunji as the camera rolled. Suddenly there was a plop. The camera showed Chunji on the water. Chunji had slipped and fell into the water. Chunji laughed, remembering the times.

"Now you know who is the real pabo." L.Joe laughed, helping Chunji up.

"Yah, Im all wet!" Chunji pouted, shivering slightly. L.Joe took off his outer jacket and hung it over Chunji's shoulder.

"Pabobyung is nice to me, so im kissing him in return." Chunji kissed L.Joe's lips.

"Channieboo here is so sweet so im tickling him in return." L.Joe tickled Chunji with a hand. Chunji squealed and fell back onto the sand.

"Because boo and pabo are meant to be."

The clip ended there and became another clip.

"Ish the picture taken?" L.Joe said through his teeth. "My uff ish numb."

Chunji laughed, this was the time when Niel had his phone on video mode instead of camera mode.

"Hyung! Paboya, it is on video mode!" Changjo pointed to the blinking red light. Niel hit his head.

"Wait, just video then. We can always take a picture later." Changjo smiled and took the phone. L.Joe coughed and Changjo put a hand to L.Joe's back from afar and acted as though he was patting L.Joe's back.

"Changjo, dont play a fool, i got my eyes on you." L.Joe put two fingers infront of his eyes and pointed towards Changjo. Changjo laughed and gave the phone to Niel.

"If we sell this tape to our fans, its gonna cost a bomb." Niel pouted infront of the camera and smirked.

"Only if we have fans." CAP grinned and laid down on the couch, ready to enter dreamland.

The clip ended and was playing a song as images filled the screen. Photos taken in their daily life, both only Chunjoe and the six of them, were compiled into this video. Then came pictures when L.Joe and him were at the beach. They were laughing and smiling like a stupid couple. Next, were photos taken in Hongkong. The six of them took a lot of photos together. Chunji cried, he didn't know for how long but he just cried. He cried till his heart aches, his throat goes dry.

Why hadn't he trust L.Joe yesterday? Why can't he remember everything yesterday? Why does he only remember everything today? He didn't trust that L.Joe is his boyfriend? Now everything falls in place, those pictures were true.

"Hey."

Chunji looked up at the screen. Photos were no longer showing, there's no more song. Just L.Joe.

"How do I start this? I'm L.Joe. Lee Byunghun. Do you remember me? By this time, I hope you remember me because I'm no longer around. What do I mean by that? I don't know. I may be dead or...I dont know. But choose to believe whichever makes you feel better. I hope you understand that I've never meant to lie to you, feigning ignorance. It actually hurts me a lot to ignore you but you kept coming around to know me. I tried to loosen up a bit but everytime I do, I found myself loving you a lot and I can't control myself from holding you. So I keep my distance. I'm so happy when we took photos together thanks to Changjo, Niel, Ricky and CAP hyung. Its hard for me to leave you but this is the best choice for you. I never want you to remember me because it will hurt you if I'm leaving you one day. But things came down to this. Mianhae... Mianhae Jeongmal." L.Joe paused to cough. His eyes seemed lost, tears trickling down his cheek but he wiped them away each time they fall.

"Aniya, L.Joe. Don't cry. Jebal, stop." Chunji was on the edge of the beanbag, his hand putting on the screen.

"I hope I have more time to spend with you. I will bring you to a plce where you can see the stars so clearly. I will travel with you together to every country's beach. We would stay together forever, grow old together. Nothing will come in between us. But mianhae... I won't be there with you anymore." L.Joe coughed, his eyes bloodshot red.

"All this time, I missed you a lot. I missed you so much. I loved the way you look at me, smile at me, talk to me. I love everything about you. Chunji, promise you won't change."

"I promise, I promise. Don't go." Chunji sobbed.

"Meeting you is the greatest thing that had happened to my life. Meeting the five of you changed me a lot. I used to be an outcast with Yongguk. But being with you guys, make me feel like a family. I never regret meeting the five of you. Especially you, Lee Chanhee. You're a part of me I never had. Knowing that I might leave you one day, tears me apart. Chunji, I love you. I really do. I'm the happiest when I'm with you. I always thought we can be together till the end with Changjo, Ricky, Niel and CAP hyung. Seems like its impossible now. Oh right, I forgotten. Remember the day we went to the beach and we stayed there till sunset? I received a painting of us a few days later."

-Flashback-

L.Joe walked to the beach and sat down on the sand. He looked out to the sea, feeling the cool breeze tickling his skin. He felt a warm touch on his arm.

"Excuse me?"

L.Joe turned back. An old man is behind him. He remembered him, on the day when Chunji and him went to the beach this old man was behind them painting the beach.

"I remember you, adeul. You came here with a guy. Your guy isn't it?" the old man asked.

"Ah, neh." L.Joe smiled.

"The two of you are really sweet and loving. Reminds me of my wife and me. A pity, she's gone. But you and your guy is the replica of us. So when you two sat down and watch the sunset, I painted this for you." the old man held out a painting, A2-sized.

"This..." L.Joe took the painting over and pulled off the cloth.

Its a painting of Chunji and him sitting together by the beach, watching the sunset. The two figures looked life-sized. L.Joe touched the painting, it has dried up.

"This is beautiful, ahjusshi. Thank you very much." L.Joe thanked the old man.

"Youngsters, last long." the old man pat on L.Joe's shoulder and left.

-end-

"The old man said, youngsters last long. I thought about it day and night how we two resembles the old man and his wife. I hung up the painting behind you. I want to give it to you as a goodbye gift."

Chunji turned around. He didn't realise there is a painting there when he walked in. It was covered up with a cloth, so Chunji can't see the inside.

"Chunji."

Chunji turned back to L.Joe.

"I can't live if I lose you. But I want you to move on. I don't know when am I coming back but I hope you'll move on. I'll never forget you, Lee Chanhee, my angel. I love you. Forever and Always."

Chunji sobbed, his shoulders shaking as L.Joe reached forward and turned off the camera. The whole screen is pitched black now.

"Andwae... Lee Byunghun you PABO! You promised to tell me everything, you liar!" Chunji hit the screen.

"Where are you when I need you the most! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you! Lee Byunghun." Chunji kept hitting the wall like it was L.Joe.

"I miss you, Byung. I miss you a lot." Chunji cried. "And I love you."

Chunji bit his lips to control the tears but they fall anyway. Chunji hugged his knees to his chest, leaning against the screen.

'Where are you, Byung... I miss you.' Chunji hiccuped, tears seeping into his lips.

The screen suddenly brightened up, screening a collage. Chunji wiped his tears and stood up. He faced the screen, his fingers trembling up, touching the screen.

"Byung..." Chunji whispered. The collage is made up of pictures of them and the six of them.

The centre picture instead was just Chunji and L.Joe. The whole collage were shaped as a heart. Someone took the photo of them, head to head, smiling. The sides of Chunji's lips curled up.

"Byung..." Chunji repeated.

The room suddenly out, leaving Chunji alone in the dark. Chunji looked around, they must have cut off the power supply. Chunji found his way to the bed. He laid down, curling his body up. L.Joe's scent on the bed wrapped around Chunji's body as Chunji cried his way to sleep. Chunji felt arms around his body. Chunji sobbed harder, he missed L.Joe too much.

"Byung... I love you." Chunji whispered, his lips trembling.

-----

Chunji opened his swollen eyes, they felt so heavy. Chunji winced in pain as he opended them wider.

Chunji staggered up. He's still at L.Joe's basement room. Chunji stood up and went to the painting. He ripped off the cloth. The painting is beautiful. Chunji touched the painting of L.Joe's back. He sniffed, unable to cry anymore. Chunji took down the painting and laid it on the bed.

He went to a drawer and searched for a bag. Chunji put the painting into the bag. He gathered the CDs from the monitor and the cupboard, putting them into another bag. Before he leave, he checked the room again. Holding the painting and bag full of CDs, Chunji walked up the staircase to the room.

It's probably morning now. Chunji walked out of the house. He stood at the doorstep, suddenly seeing himself and L.Joe again.

"23."

"Mwo?"

"23 November. Its my birthday. Don't forget."

Chunji looked at his watch. Its 23 November 8am sharp. Its L.Joe's birthday. Chunji's tears glistened in the Sun.

"Saengilchukhaeyo, L.Joe."

Chunji closed his eyes and opened them after a while. He walked down the porch, never turning back once. Chunji walked back to school. His eyes barely opened as he stumbled into his dorm. Opening his room, he half-expected L.Joe to be there waiting for him.

"I'm home, L.Joe." Chunji said no one. He went in to the bedroom and hung the painting up on the wall.

Chunji kept all the CDs aside in a drawer. He heard the door opened.

"Chunji hyung, are you in?" Changjo's voice rang out. Chunji walked out, his vision blurred.

"Changjo." Chunji smiled weakly before collapsing into Changjo's arm.

His world out.