Awakened

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

Yoonmei gradually got better. Her eyes would sometimes twitch, even her brows furrowed as if she’s arguing with someone. Luhan would poke a finger in between her eyebrows, and her face relaxes right away.

Although the doctor said its normal response to stimuli, they all think otherwise.

One rainy evening, the inevitable happened. Exactly one week after slipping into coma, Jaejoong was sleeping on a chair and holding his sister’s hand when he felt her grasped tightened.

He instantly stood up and leaned closer to her ear. “Mei? It’s me Jaejoong… Can you do that again?”

Much to his surprise, Yoonmei didn’t just grip his fingers but slowly opened her eyes. The room only had a few lights on so it was easier for her to adjust to the brightness. Her brown orbs moved from left to right, then up and down. She was utterly scared and disoriented. If only she could scream, she would.

“Mom! Dad! MeiMei is awake!” Jaejoong shouted and carefully hugged her. “Oh my God Mei! Thank you so much! You just don’t know how happy I am!” that’s when her brother started crying.

Her parents also rushed to the other side and kissed her cheeks. “Yoonmei-ah…” her mom cried.

The medical team came having the same shocked expression as her brother. They too can’t believe their eyes. The girl who had a flatline and stayed in vegetative state, came back to life.

They swarmed her like busy bees and started removing her tubes bit by bit.

She signaled them that she needed something to write on when she tried speaking and nothing came out. A nurse came with a sketchbook and a marker, then the doctor answered her first question even if her hands viciously trembled while writing.

“Don’t worry, Yoonmei-shi! This is just temporary. You’ll be able to speak once your body has adjusted.”

She looked around and the last thing she remembered struck her. It was when she was getting a beating after Kai got kidnapped. She slowly wrote once again and the doctor continued reading.

“Ermmm…” he gently took the sketchbook from her and showed it to the family.

‘Where’s Kai? Is he okay?’ it read.

Her parents looked at each other while Jaejoong woke the sleeping boys from the other room.

Kai came in first and stood at the foot of her bed. They met eyes and it was magical. Their stares had so much meaning that they felt like a light deep inside them has been .

When the medical team finished, Yoonmei was left lying on her inclined bed and nibbling on ice chips with the help of a nurse.

Jaejoong volunteered to take over while his parents talk to the doctor.

“Well… You’re right after all Mr. Kim! You’re daughter is one hell of a fighter!” he exclaimed. “And I guess, there really are things that cannot be explained by Science.”

“Is she gonna be okay?” the blissful father asked.

“She might suffer from minor headaches and shortness of breath… Other than that, she’s perfectly fine!” the doctor then reached out a hand.

“Thank you, doc! It wouldn’t be possible without your team’s effort! My family owes you a lot!” they shook hands.

“It’s nothing! We’re just doing our jobs!”

With that, they bowed to each other, then the doctor left with the nurses.

Miyung leaned her head on Changhee’s chest while watching Jaejoong help his sister. They were on top of the world seeing her back again.

Luhan was also on the other side of the bed holding onto her hand. His face was a lot brighter and couldn’t stop himself from touching her face.

She took the marker and Jaejoong placed the sketchbook on her lap.

‘I’m hungry…’ she wrote.

“Sorry sis! The doctor said you’re still not allowed to eat. Maybe tomorrow, okay?” she sighed. “Just enjoy this for now…” he raised an ice cube on .

‘I saw grandpa and we talked for a bit…’ she added.

“Jinjja?” Jaejoong gawked. “I bet he’s not happy to see you that’s why he kicked your back here…” he snorted and snickered.

Yoonmei glared at him and the marker landed on his head.

“OW!” he rubbed the spot. “Hehehe~ Seriously sis! It’s really great to have you back!” he lowered the bowl he was holding on a bedside table and hugged her. “I love you sooo, so much!”

As a response, she softly kissed her brother’s cheek.

“Aigooo~ I hope you won’t be able to talk for a while so I’ll get kisses instead of screams and curses!” he giggled.

She pulled away and turned to her trustee sketchbook after Luhan handed her back the marker. ‘Enjoy it while it last! You jerk!’

“Oh !” Jaejoong slapped his forehead, and they all chuckled.