Gossip

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

Yoonmei only didn’t deal with bullying but also gossip. It hurts hearing made up stories about someone. How much more if it happens to you? Gossip damages a person’s reputation and self esteem. It may be entertaining for some, but definitely torture for the subject.

In the middle of lectures, students suddenly erupted in murmurs. They were staring at their mobile phones, sharing and reading at each other’s screens.

“No cellphones during class! Keep them away!” the teacher scolded yet they ignored her. Instead, they switched their attention to Yoonmei who was in a corner, sitting in her desk and doodling in her notebook.

“Told you she’s a ! Ewwww!” says a girl to her seatmate.

“Yeah… She’s fearless and all, but yuck! She’s nothing!” she replied.

Yoonmei heard everything but still ignored them. Whatever it is that they’re talking about, she could no longer care. When a short break period came, she left her class and took a stroll. Her hands were in her jacket pocket and kept a steady pace around the campus.

Upon reaching the cafeteria entrance, a pail of freezing water splashed into her. It was so cold that she even felt the ice cubes hitting her face. Her eyes immediately shut and relaxed herself.

The entire hall burst into laughter but forced not to hear anything. The sudden impact left her frozen for a whole minute as she tries to calm her nerves from the intense shivering.

Before she can even move a single step, a loud gasp escaped . Another pail of cornstarch dropped over her head and as it mixed with water, it instantly became gooey and sticky.

Yoonmei reached up to her face and wiped everything off. ‘ing unbelievable! When will they ever stop? URGGHHH!!!’ She then went to dust her new set of uniform. Her hair was a disaster so she can’t do anything about it anymore.

“You’re better off with Kris! I bet you already have !” a girl yelled.

“Yeah! You deserve each other! Bunch of filthy disgraceful people!” says another.

‘So that’s what all those rumors are all about! So funny! Kekeke~’ she quietly laughed and after taking a deep breath, she turned to make an exit.

“GET HER!!!” a guy roared.

“!” Without even looking back, Yoonmei knew what it meant and her feet instinctively moved. She ran so fast that her damp hair kept slapping her face in different direction. Even if she’s soaking wet, her sneakers helped her navigate through the corridor without slipping. ‘Crazy sons of es! Are they willing to go this far for that ing F4? them!’

A horde of juniors chased her with no reason at all. She ran and ran not even knowing where to head as long as she can gain distance from them. Panic and rage were slowly eating up that she started to pant hard. Just as she was running out of breath, several doors came to rescue. God knows where it may lead but its good enough to make an escape.

Yoonmei took the one on the very end. It turned out to be a door into a stairwell that either goes up or down. Without thinking twice, she sprinted up the steps and was already breathing hard. She held onto the rail for support when her knees grew weak, then she reached the top. Another door came to sight, so she pushed it and went in.

Her eyes squinted in an instant at the bright sunshine that welcomed her. It was the school’s rooftop. She held her raging chest while looking from side to side and catching a breath. It was completely empty except for a huge water tank in the middle and a row of solar panels on one side.

With all the burning veins and fuming anger, she walked to the edge and placed both hands on the barrier. “AAAHHHHH!!!” she screamed. “I HATE YOU F4!!! DO YOU THINK I’M GIVING UP? HUH??? FOUR FAGGOTS CAN NEVER BRING ME DOWN! GET THAT???” she removed strands of sticky hair from her face. “YOU DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH! I AM KIM YOONMEI! REMEMBER THAT NAME COZ IT WILL BE YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!!!” her voice echoed. “KAI??? IS THAT YOUR NAME??? IT’S FUGLY!” she spit on the floor. “WHY DON’T YOU CHANGE IT TO DIE? IT SUITS YOU MORE, YOU BASTARD! URGH!!!”

When her voice grew hoarse, Yoonmei unleashed her frustration to the wall underneath her. She kicked it with the tip of her shoes and sometimes hit it with her fists. “AISH! I hate you F4! Bunch of fags! s! Urgh!!!”

She suddenly stopped when she heard hums from a distance. It was very melodic and pleasing to the ears. So pleasing that she couldn’t help but get drawn to it. It came from the tall water tank, so she slowly approached the direction. “I-Is anybody there?” she asked softly. “H-Hello?”

No one responded. In fact, the hums turned to a much clearer tone. She can hear words, beats, and sometimes adlibs. It was in Korean, but music knows no language, so she can accurately tell that whoever is singing got major pipes. He suddenly belted out a high note making her stop. It was flawless and pitch perfect.

‘Dang! He’s really good! Uwaaaa~’ she continued walking. ‘At least someone is decent in this school. I might just find a friend…’ she snickered.

With just one step away, a pair of arms stretched out from behind the tank follwed by a yawn. “So much for my nap! What a disturbance!” he sighed and stood.

Yoonmei froze when he saw him and pointed a finger to his face.”Y-You! I-It’s you!”

“Mhmmm!” Daehyun walked towards her so she moved a step backwards. “And I’m very pissed right now! How dare you disrupt my nap?” she gulped. “And how dare you invade my privacy?”

“E-Ermmm…” she looked down in panic. ‘Wait! Why am I even acting this way? He’s the reason why I’m all ty right now!’ she looked back to him with a deathly glare. “YAH!!! What do you mean nap? You we’re singing for crying out loud! And what privacy? Do you have rights over this building? Show me your land title and I’d be glad to leave!” she snarled.

"I can sing even when I'm asleep! I'm talented like that!" he cocked his head. "FYI, I own this building!" her jaw dropped.

Daehyun looked at her from head to toe. Messy hair turned stiff, the tip of her nose has goo, drenched uniform, and shivering in cold. He smiled. ‘She’s cute!’ After so many years, he felt happy and playful. He don’t know why but the little interest he finds in Yoonmei grew stronger and addicting.

“WAE???” she snarled.

“You know what? You should lose the temper! It’s very disturbing!” he smirked and took off his blazer.

Yoonmei repeatedly blinked when he fixed it around her shoulder. "You need this more than I do! Keep it!" then rubbed the sleeves to keep her warm. She already forgot to function at that moment, but then she even almost lost it when he suddenly leaned closer to her ear. “Call us once again, and I will prove you wrong!” his lips formed into a smile.

The warm breath that escaped his lips, also made her shudder. “By the way, I’ll definitely tell Kai about his new name. He’ll love it for sure!” then pulled away. “See you around, KIM. YOON. MEI!” he winked and left.