Changes

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

Yoonmei spent most of her time with F4 especially when the evaluation drew near. She would sometimes ditch her own class and meet up with the boys in their lounge just to continue tutoring. They even thought of transferring her to their class but the principal prohibited it.

While they were having lunch and studying, they saw the butler came through the crystal door with Mr. Kang.

They scattered around the couches, having Yoonmei in between Kai and Daehyun.

"What’s he doing here?” Zelo whispered to Daehyun who replied with a shrug.

“Kang seonsaengnim!” Yoonmei stood and bowed.

“Sit down, Yoonmei-shi! I can see that you and those boys are busy… Don’t worry! I’ll be quick!” she sat while her teacher stopped in front of the table and looked down at the books and review materials. “Uwaaaa~ I’m starting to believe that miracles do happen!” he raised a thumb to his student. “Good job!” she responded with a proud smirk.

“Anyway…” he clasped his hands together and they listened. “I’m here to tell you that the deal has been changed.” they all looked at each other nervously.

“Woah! Hold up!” Yoonmei raised a hand. “You can’t just a change a deal especially that I didn’t know about it!”

“Relax…” Mr. Kang gestured. “Let me finish first…”

“Fine…” she leaned against the back rest with arms crossed.

Her teacher walked back and stood firmly. “The principal decided that she will be the one to create the questionnaire for tomorrow’s evaluation…”

“MWOH???” the boys got shakened.

“Just great!” Yoonmei looked away with an annoyed face.

“Look guys…” Mr. Kang continued. “She just wanted to make sure that you’ll get a fair treatment just like any students would in a normal examination and won’t get special favors from Yoonmei.”

She immediately stood. “Excuse me? Are you implying that I’ll let them cheat?”

“Of course not!” he frantically waved his hands. “We’re just avoiding issues that might occur in the future when teachers find out it was you who created their tests.”

Daehyun held her wrist and pulled her down. “They have a point, Mei. It’s okay…”

She was left defeated and covering her face.

“That's all! I’ll see you guys tomorrow then?” Mr. Kang asked, and the boys nodded. “Good luck! Hwaiting!” he raised a fist, then left.

The principal just threw down the gauntlet and F4 was very worried. They were prepared to take the evaluation but never had they imagined it would be given by the headmistress.

Zelo leaned his head on the back rest and covered his face with a book. Sehun dropped on the couch. Kai bored a whole on the glass table, and Daehyun heaved a deep breath.

“It’s okay guys…” Yoonmei finally talked. “Let’s take that challenge and show her what you got!”

An evil smirk formed on Kai’s face. “Yeah! We can do this!”

“Yeah!” Daehyun blurted.

Then morals started to come back. They were lively and more inspired to continue where they left.

Yoonmei suddenly stood and grabbed her backpack. “C’mon! Let’s go!”

“Where?” Sehun looked up to her.

“To our house! Grandpa just know exactly what to do during crunch times…” she snickered.

The boys got their eyes glued to each other for a bit, but when she went out the door, they also scrambled out.

----------

They paraded down the narrow street, heading straight to Luoyong’s hanok. It was like walking into a lion’s den when flash backs of their first visit came back as nightmares.

“Are you sure about this?” Sehun staggered behind her.

“Wae?” she raised an eyebrow. “Didn’t you meet my grandpa already?” they froze. “Kris told me the other day…” she chuckled.

“Yup! And he’s scaring the daylights out of people!” Zelo cringed.

Yoonmei laughed and went in upon reaching the wooden door. “Grandpa! I’m home!” she yelled.

“Did you skip school again?” the old man appeared. “What is it this time?” he stopped in front of her with hands on his hips.

“My “students…” needs a place to study…” she formed her fingers like bunny ears and wiggled them. “They will have a very important test tomorrow and they really have to pass it.”

“So you thought of bringing them here?” the old man asked, she nodded. “Where are they?”

Yoonmei looked behind her but couldn’t find anyone. She still didn’t find them when her head did a 360 spin. ‘What the hell?’ then, she slightly bend sideward to check the main door.

There she saw the four people she was looking for. They were glued to their spots and not even moving.

“Are you coming in or what?” she shouted.

Zelo and Sehun suddenly pushed Kai, making him lunge forward. “YAH!!!” he sneered, the two snickered from behind.

Before coming in, Kai removed his sneakers and set it aside by the door. The three followed him and they slowly walked in.

Yoonmei hugged Luoyong on the side who also had an arm around her shoulder. “Grandpa! That’s Kai, Daehyun, Sehun and Zelo!” she pointed.

“Annyeong haseyo~” they bowed.

“So! I heard you guys are giving my granddaughter a hard time! You do realize how hard it is for her to tutor all of you and do her homework at the same time right?” he said.

They remained silent and looking at the wooden floor.

“Yaahhhh…. You’re scaring them!” she whispered while looking up to him.

“What? I’m just asking them a question? It’s not gonna kill them!” he scoffed and continued. “And why aren’t you wearing your uniforms? You’re still in high school! You’re supposed to wear one!”

They pressed their lips together and swallowed hard. ‘I knew this was a bad idea! Sstt!’ Sehun thought.

“Grandpaaaaa~” she shook her head. “You’re supposed to help them!”

“I am helping them and this is called discipline!” he released her and approached them. “Okay! MeiMei told me you have an important test tomorrow?”

“Y-Ye…” they replied.

“What are you doing then?” they flinched. “Get your books and study!” he roared.

They each scrambled for their books and flipped the pages while trembling in fear.

“Yoonmei-ah! I have extra pair of slippers in my room! Go get it and let them wear it!” he ordered.

She hurriedly left and came back. She dropped the slippers on their feet, then went back to Luoyong’s side. “Now what?”

“Follow us!” he told the boys.

Before they know it, all four of them were headed to Luoyong’s bountiful garden. Zelo instantly spotted a group of small trees abundant with red, shiny fruits. “Uwaaaa~ Cherry tomatoes…” he gulped.

His feet unknowingly moved and squeezed in between Luoyong and Yoonmei. Kai and Daehyun panicked while the old man was left wondering. They all watched the youngest member walk down the stairs and went straight to his target. “Come to daddy, my babies…” he murmured.

Yoonmei suddenly slapped her forehead when he plucked a fruit and placed it in his mouth.

The remaining three repeatedly bowed to Luoyong. “Please accept our deepest apologies… He doesn’t know what he’s doing…” Kai said on their behalf.

“Aigooo~ Seems like there’s someone else who share the same love for cherry tomatoes!” he smiled and patted Kai’s head. “It’s okay! Just let him be…”

“Ehh?” he straightened up and bowed again. “Kamsahamnida…” then they joined Zelo in the garden. "Yah! What are you doing, you idiot?" Daehyun slapped Zelo's arm.

"But it's good!" he ignored them.

Yoonmei sat on her usual spot on the stairs to watch her grandfather approach the boys. She shook her head while laughing at their scared faces. They were as tamed and very polite just like when they saw Junpyo and Jaejoong at school. ‘So funny… Hehehe~’

“The reason why I brought you here…” the old man said. “…is because being in a different and relaxing place will make your brain work, more efficiently.” they looked up to him. “Consider those cherry tomatoes, flowers, and everything around here as mnemonic devices…”

“What’s that?” Zelo asked while chewing.

“Mnemonic devices are used for remembering pieces of information using a simple association of terms.” he explained. “You use your brain to remember those visual images to associate them with what you are trying to memorize… Using more of your brain means better memory.”

“Uwaaaa~” Sehun gawked with sparkling eyes at Luoyong. “I think I know where Yoonmei inherited her super intelligence…”

The old man chuckled. “Tsah! You may start now!” he said and went to Yoonmei’s side.

“Do you think they’ll pass?” she worried.

“Of course!” Luoyong replied. “Just look at them!”

Kai laid on the grass while holding up his book. Sehun was a few meters away from him and on his belly also furrowing his eyebrows. Daehyun paced back and forth while holding a book with one hand and twirling a trowel with the other. Zelo sat crossed leg on the grass and occasionally plucking the tree for some brain food.

“Yeah… I guess so…” she sighed.

“Oh c’mon MeiMei!” he pulled her closer to his side. “You gotta believe in them! I can see that they trusted you so much and I’m pretty sure they won’t let you down!”

“I duuno why grandpa… But I’m scared for them.” she leaned her head to his shoulder. “Especially for Kai!”

“Wae?” he questioned.

“His mom thinks he is a failure! She even calls him hurtful names every time he flunks… If he fails again, I’m afraid what she’ll do to him next time…” she pouted.

“Awww~” he rubbed her arm. “You do realize that your being a true friend to him right?”

“I am?”

“Yes sweetie! What you’re doing right now is showing greater care and concern for others, and that makes you a friend!” he patted her head, and a smile formed on her lips. “With Kai... He’s probably filled with anger, frustration and disappointment right now, but he survived through it all, right?” she nodded. “Just be there for him! Let him know there’s someone beside him, believing in him, and not thinking like his mother does.”

“I will, yeye!” she straightened up and grinned.

As her head shifted back to the garden, Kai just happened to sit up and turned to her. He was smiling brightly and so did his eyes. Who would’ve thought that behind such a heartwarming face, is a guy who has been carrying a heavy burden.

She went to him and sat in front of him. “So? How’s everything?”

“Great! I think I’m ready for tomorrow, and I like it here! You’re house is small…” she scowled. “But! I’m not complaining, it’s a compliment! I’d rather be here than in our own house…” his face fell.

“Are you okay?” she held his shoulder.

“Mhmmm!” he forced a smile.

Zelo suddenly came crawling to them. “Yoonmei-ah! I love your house! Can I stay here instead? Please?”

“See? I think all of us like it here!” Kai chuckled.

“No way! Not in a million years!” she stuck her tongue out to him.

“But can I go here anytime I want? Huh? Please? Pretty please? With cherry tomatoes on top?” maknae frantically shook her.

She grabbed his hands, making him stop. “Okay! But you gotta help grandpa with his garden!”

“Not a problem!” they both answered.