Surrender

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

Yoonmei's heart literally stopped.

The flatline was far too much painful to hear, and the medical team rushing to revive her was too agonizing to watch.

They felt like they were fighting a losing battle. Yoonmei was getting weaker and it broke their hearts. She had tears at the side of her face, constantly open due to the tube sticking out of it.

Kai flinched at the sight of a doctor with his palms on her chest, manually pumping oxygen into it. She was too frail for a middle aged man who could almost break her ribcage. ‘Mei… C’mon! Fight it! Goddamnit!’

The doctor paused and looked at the monitor, still a flatline. “Epinephrine!” he demanded.

A nurse rushed to administer an adrenaline to stimulate her heart through the IV.

During all the commotion, the mother hid in her husband’s chest, while Jaejoong clasped both hands and pressed it on his mouth with eyes only directed to her.

“C’mon Mei! C’mon!” he murmured.

10 minutes have already passed and she still got no pulse. The doctor finally decided to restart her heart through an electric shock.

At that point in time, Luhan can no longer bear to watch. He dropped on the couch and covered his ears.

Kris on the other hand, bravely watched as the doctor placed two patches under her hospital gown by the chest. When a beeping sound came, every person near the bed moved back.

Zelo and Sehun cringed when they saw her body jump from the sudden jolt of shock.

When it cleared, their eyes instantly went to the monitor.

“!” Daehyun hissed at the dreading flatline.

Her tears stopped flowing at the point. Even her lips turned to a shade of purple, while her feet and hands grew cold.

‘Mei… I beg you! Please…’ was all Luhan can think of. He was beyond scared that someone who meant the world to him was slowly fading away.

“One more time!” the doctor said, and they did it again.

A couple more defibrillations followed and still no hope.

The flatline never left and the reality started to sink in.

Nurses regretfully moved back and the doctor looked at the grieving parents. “I’m so sorry…” he said.

“What do you mean sorry?” the father fumed. “Do it again! I don’t care how many times you do it! BUT DO IT AGAIN!” his tears burst out of his eyes. “I will give you all the money in the world! Just bring my daughter back!”

“Changhee-ah….” his wife cried while calming him down.

The once powerful and magnanimous man now turned into a normal father who walked towards his daughter, disheartened and crumbled. He held her telling her that he loved her, talking to her, kissing her cheeks, holding her safe.

 “Yoonmei-ah…” he wept. “It’s okay to let go… Daddy will be ok…” he choked. “Don’t worry.” But all the time, he was thinking, ‘Please don’t go!’

They say the hearing is the last to go and they know she was listening. Kai didn't want her to die, nobody wanted, but he felt helpless as he can't do anything. He dragged his feet towards her bed and let het his heart out.

His emotions run wild through the sorrowful tears that dripped in his face. He stooped lower until his lips lingered in her ear. “I’m gonna miss you, Mei…” he whispered. “Thank you for giving me my brother and my life…” then his chest exploded like a bomb that’s been buried for so long. He choked in the painful lump in his throat while the tears in his eyes blinded him.

“My heart…” he sobbed. “…will keep beating… only because of you…”

Kai slowly shifted to watch her face for the last time. He looked but he can’t accept it. “M-Mei… I’m so sorry…” his tears fell on her cold face when he closed his eyes and leaned his forehead on hers. “I’m gonna miss you so much… I’m gonna miss you every ing day…” he cried, and without hesitation, planted a soft, chaste kiss on her lips.

Kai took his time to memorize and process the feeling, and however sweet it was, it still broke his heart.

He pulled away just an inch away from her moistened lips. “I love you with all my heart…” he murmured. “Forever… and always…”

Then the flatline stopped.

Jaejoong’s head snapped towards the monitor and saw that the line now moved up and down erratically.

He blinked his tears away and realized that he was not being deceived.

The doctor also came back completely mindblown. Nurses also came to push back Jaejoong and his father.

Kai walked on his own towards the couch when his tears refused to stopped. Kris came to him and comforted him any way he knows how.

After what seemed like forever, the doctor approached Yoonmei’s parents. “I dunno what to say… Whatever happened back there is a miracle... You’re daughter is back!” they sighed the biggest relief. “But we’ll still have to carefully watch her…”

“Thank you!” the father shook his hand.

“Don’t thank me yet, sajangnim… Do that when Yoonmei-shi wakes up…” the doctor said.

“She will, doc! Trust me!” he responded positively.