Get Better

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

Kris went out wiping his wet hair, fully shaved, and wearing a new set of trackpants and white shirt. The towel he was holding fell when he saw his bedroom clutter free. It was a lot brighter and smelled fresh. Not a single bottle of soju lay on the floor, even the sheets and blankets were neatly folded.

It struck him. He was not alone after all.

His feet unknowingly moved as his eyes wandered around. He felt good. He has that feeling of being alive all over again as if looking forward to another day.

When he stepped out of the door, he heard sizzling sounds from the kitchen and his eyes fluttered when his nose picked up aromatic scents.

Kris was completely drawn into it that he just have to move closer.

That’s when he saw Yoonmei working hard on the kitchen counter. Her hair was tied into a ponytail and he can clearly see streaks of sweat dripping on the side of her face. She wiped it with the back of her hand, then kept going.

He was left mesmerized just watching her. She would flinch away while frying some sausages, and even curse at the boiling pot. Although Yoonmei was noticeably struggling, she still has that smile on her face and her innate beauty radiated through the room. ‘You’re making it harder for me, Yoonmei… How do you expect me to let you go now?’

At that point, his heart grew heavy. He can’t explain it but the light he’s been looking for started to come back.

But when his head turned and caught a glimpse of the entire house, his heart dropped like a boulder.

It was back to its old form: clean, cozy with ambient lighting, and peaceful.

Yoonmei saw him standing frozen so he called him. “Kris?”

He quickly snapped and averted his attention to her. “N-Neh?”

“Errmmm… You should eat now…” she said.

Kris saw the table fully set with utensils and various dishes. A bowl of rice in the middle, kimchi soup on the left, and sausages in the right. He slowly approached it, then took a seat.

“I’m not much of a cook, so I hope you don’t mind the burnt part… Hehehe~” she laughed shyly and also took a seat across him.

When he lowered his head, he saw tiny cuts and burns in Yoonmei's fingers so he couldn't afford looking at her. “A-aren’t you… gonna eat?”

“Nope! I already ate before going here!” she waved. “Just finish them all!”

Without saying a word, Kris took his first sip from the soup.

Yoonmei waited and watched every inch of his reaction. He neither cringed, nor smiled, and only showed a poker face. ‘This is so not good…’ her face fell.

Little did she know, the flavors she created attacked his senses. It tingled the back of his mouth and made him drool for more.

Her face lit up once again when she noticed him dipping his spoon on the bowl and kept coming back. When the bowl has gone empty, he went for the rice and sausages.

“Want a refill? I made a lot…” she asked, and he nodded quietly.

Yoonmei stood with the bowl in hand and went back for his second round.

“Thanks…” he smiled and she knew right away that his usual self is slowly coming back.

She reached out to his hand and tenderly held it. “You’re not alone, Kris. I’m here. I’m always here…” then his eyes slowly went to her. “I know how strong you are… But you are a lot stronger having people by your side. Don’t push us away...”

He lowered his chopstick and tightened his grasp on her hand. “Miahnae Yoonmei-ah… Jeungmal miahnae…”

“It’s okay… Just don’t do it again, okay?” her lips curled up.

He nodded and spoke with a raspy tone. “Komawo…”

“It’s nothing! Tch!” she smirked and suddenly stood and went to his side with arms wide open. “Can I get a hug?”

Kris pushed back his chair and embraced Yoonmei. It was officially the first time he got intimate with her. That simple contact made him soar to the ground and float in cloud nine. His eyes were completely shut and took all the time in the world to process the beautiful feeling. ‘I don’t know what I did to deserve her, but thank you! I couldn’t have asked for anyone else but just… her.’

With the way his clutch tightened around her, Yoonmei knew that there’s another person she can’t bear seeing getting hurt.

She looked up while patting his back and feeling his calm breaths. “Kris… Whatever happens, I’ll always be here for you…”

“And whatever happens, I’ll always look for you…” he whispered. "Oh... By the way..." his lips formed into a brighter smile. "I think I just lost my sense of taste from that super salty soup..."

"Ehhhh?" she leaned away to look at him and when he slowly nodded, she sighed. "I knew it..."

Kris pulled her back and pressed her head on his chest. "I'm just joking... It was not the best meal but you did great as a first timer..."

"How did you know it was my first time?" she mumbled in his shirt.

"Tch! You were spoiled by Luoyong, and eomeoni wouldn't even let you step into the kitchen!" he said.

"Oh! Hehehe~" she snickered.

 

----------

 

Kris may have recovered from a deep slump, but another might just replace his spot.

As soon as Kai stepped into their mansion, he met his mother in their vast lobby spitting mad. She was pacing back and forth with hands on her hips, cheeks flushing, and heating up like a demon who just escaped the fires of hell.

She stopped as soon as she saw him who was about to walk up the stairs. “Where have you been? Yah! Kim Jongin! I’m talking to you!”

Kai knew where the conversation is heading so he took a deep breath, in his frustration with it. “Mom… I was with Daehyun and there’s nothing wrong with that, right?”

His mother walked closer and stood within arm’s length from him. “You’re just like your father! Sneaky little bastard!” she then started circling him like a bee buzzing in his ears. “Stupid as a rock! Shallow as a puddle!”

Kai closed his eyes and tightened his fists when he refused to listen to every word she said. After being hurt for so long, he made himself completely numb. He doesn't even want to have feelings for her anymore. He learned how to stop crying, learned how to hide inside of himself.

Her horrendous words meant nothing to him until one single word came.

“Yoonmei...” she smirked and his eyes flashed wide opened. “That girl! She’s nothing but a spoiled-worthless-foul mouthed-evil scum who thinks their family is the most honorable family in the universe!” she still circled him. “I will do everything to make her suffer…”

Kai felt his soul escape him when his chest exploded. His trembling hand found its way on her jaw, violently squeezing it. “Did I hear you right?” he gritted his teeth. “You’re gonna make her suffer?”

She choked.

“Haven’t you made me suffer already? Isn’t that enough? HUH???” she winced when his touch burned her. That was the first time seeing her son grew vicious, and honestly, he scared her. She just doesn’t want to admit it.

“Let go… of me…” she gasped. “Or… I will… take away… all your… inheritance…”

Kai looked away for a bit with an amused smirk. “You’re unbelievable don’t you know that? Do you really think I ing care?” he chuckled and let his ferocious eyes move from head to toe. “I thought you're a person who I can look up to and respect, but then your mouth is just way too awful! I'm disgusted to even call you my mother and I regret all those days that I defended you!”

She suddenly fell on the floor when he shoved her. “If you think I hate you… I do ing hate you!” he looked down to her. “And if you will disown me for this… I don’t give a single Fffk!”

Kai gave a final glare and left her whimpering like a beaten mutt.