Nervous Wreck

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

And so the day of reckoning comes. Yoonmei's stress level is so high that it keeps her from using all her resources and intelligence to cope with the situation. She walks down the hall and see the classroom door. She went inside and saw the four of them frantically paging through their notes. From that moment on, she crossed the critical point where her ability to respond begins to decline. She’s not even the one taking the test.

‘Relax Mei! If they see you this way, they will also get scared…Just chill…’ she breathed. With a raging heart, sweaty palms, and shaking knees, Yoonmei approached them. She leaned against the teacher’s table while facing four desks with Kai and Daehyun in the center, and Sehun and Zelo were on their sides respectively. “So? Are you ready?” she faked a smile.

Zelo dropped his head on the desk. “This is scary like your grandfather! Aish!”

She went to him and held his jaw with both hands to raise it. “Hey! Grandpa sent me a box of cherry tomatoes. He told me to give it to you after this…”

His face lit up. “Really?”

“Mhmmm! Just do your best, okay?” he nodded, and went back to the center. “I’ll be right outside…” she started to leave and when she passed Daehyun, he swiftly grabbed her wrist.

“Thanks!” he smiled.

She stopped and turned to him with a comforting smile. “You’re welcome…” and she left.

A few minutes later, the headmistress came and closed the door.

Just like she promised, Yoonmei waited outside the classroom and has the whole corridor for herself. She could feel her cheeks getting hot while gripping her skirt tightly with sweaty hands. Her breathing grew heavier as she paced from wall to wall. ‘There’s nothing to worry, Mei! Relax…’ she breathed. “Hooooooo~”

Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes turned to hours. Not a single examination in her entire existence had made her feel this way. Her jitters were both excited and worried, and she hated the feeling. All she could do was lean against the wall and repeatedly hit the tip of her shoe on the floor. Her chest also started to swell.

Then the door opened.

The headmistress came out and went to her office without saying a word. Yoonmei quickly left her spot and met the boys as they came out.

“How was it?” she asked Daehyun and a barrage of questions followed. “Was it hard? Were you able to answer everything? How did you do?”

Daehyun held her shoulders. “Woah! Easy there MeiMei!” he chuckled. “It was hard but manageable.” he smiled.

‘Wait, did he just called me MeiMei?’ she paused. ‘Aish! Whatever! He can call me that!’ then she turned to Kai. “What do you think? Was it okay?”

Unlike Daehyun who handled it well, Kai was rather down and uncertain. “I dunno, Yoonmei… It’s kinda hard to tell…”

Yoonmei hid all her anxieties to comfort him. “Don’t worry, Kai! I’m pretty sure you did great!” she slapped his arm. “Did she mention when the results are coming?” she added.

“She said, we’ll just have to wait for it in a few minutes.” Sehun blurted.

Then the post exam nerves kick in.

Waiting for exam results are very scary; it's like having an appointment with fear. As the hype starts to ratchet up, the boys joined Yoonmei in jittery feels. They also paced with hands clasped together, not saying a single word to each other.

“What’s taking her so long?” Zelo grew impatient.

“Aish!” and so did Yoonmei. “Stay here! I’ll go check it out!” she ordered them.

They watched her leave and disappear after reaching a corner.

Yoonmei reached the principal’s office in no time and knocked. “Come in!”

She slowly walked in.

“You’re just in time Yoonmei-shi! I now have the results!” she was then handed four test papers. The poker face on the headmistress was dreading and was not a good sign at all. ‘Please… Not again… Please… Let my boys pass…’ She took the sheets and bowed. “Thanks! I’ll go now…”

When the door closed, she leaned against it and took a deep breath while hugging the test paper. ‘Here goes nothing… Hoooooo~’ she breathed.

She could already hear her heart pounding when she raised the papers, and as she let her eyes process every word and letter written on it, her jaws quivered. ‘Choi Junhong… B+…’ then her shaking hand found its way on . ‘Oh Sehun…B+…’ “Oh God!” a sob escaped . She flipped another page and her eyes grew bigger with tears b in the corner. ‘Jung Daehyun…A+…’

Her heart exploded. Tears of joy came pouring down and she couldn’t explain it. She was overwhelmed with happines, follwed by gasped and sniffled. The last page was the most important to her. It was a matter of life and death.

After taking a deep breath, she turned the last test paper. What’s left of her heart was completely gone. She planted both hands on her knees and let her emotions run free. Her tears dropped on the floor and the hall was filled with gasps. “Oh My God Kai! You did it! You got an A+…” ‘Thank you… Thank you so much…’

She looked back up and wiped her tears with the sleeve of her blazer. ‘I can’t let them see me like this! Breathe Mei! Relax!’ she fanned herself while catching air. Her emotions were then replaced by excitement. She now has that urge to share the good news to the boys.

Her feet moved and as she gained momentum and composure, she started running back to them. The smile on her face was very noticeable and all she did was run and run until she finds them.

As she the same corner, Daehyun saw her running at full speed. “Yoonmei?”

“YOU GUYS DID IT!!! YOU DID IT!!! YOU DID IT!!!” she flung the papers into the air and ran to him.

“JINJJA???” Daehyun also ran and caught her half way. He wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her off the ground. They ended up spinning around while Yoonmei circled her arms around his neck and sinking her face in it. “Oh God Daehyun!!! I’m so happy for you guys!!!”

His hand crept up to the back of her head and softly pressed it closer. “Me too, Mei! Thank you so much!!!”

Zelo and Sehun suddenly lunged and hugged them. “YEESSSS!!! WOOHOOHOO!!!” the youngest roared.

“I’m so proud of you guys…” she murmured against Daehyun’s skin.

“All thanks to you, of course!” Sehun ruffled her hair. “KOMAWO YOONMEI-AH!!!” he yelled through the hallway.

Yoonmei felt incomplete when someone seemed missing. She slowly pulled away and saw Kai standing a few feet away with his back against them. He had his hands inside his pockets while stooping his head. “I’ll be back…” she told them and the three rejoiced on their own.

She stood in front of him and tilted her head in search for his eyes. “Hey… Gwenchana?”

“Mhmmm…” he shifted to the other side to avoid her gaze.

“Aren’t you happy?” she followed.

“I am! You idiot!” he chuckled.

She then reached out a hand to him for a handshake. “Congrats! I’m so proud of you, Jongin!”

That’s when he raised his head. Yoonmei saw his glittery eyes turned pleading. “Would it be too much, if I ask for a hug?”

“Ehh?” her eyes widened. “Ermmm… S-Sure…”

She lowered her hand and Kai moved closer. He tenderly embraced her while leaning his cheek on the side of her head. “Thank you, Yoonmei… It really means a lot…” he whispered with eyes closed. “I hope you know that…”

She raised her hand to his back and patted it. “You don’t have to thank me. It’s you who took that test. It’s you who passed.”

Then a tear fell from his eye when she squeezed her tighter. “Just… Thank you…”

“HYYUUUNNGGGG!!!” Zelo came running and hugged them. “WE DID IT!!! WOOOOOO!!!”

“YAHHH!!!” Kai pulled his head away from her. “YOU DON”T HAVE TO YELL! WE’D ALL BE DEAF IN NO TIME!!!”

“Whatever!” Zelo giggled while hugging them.

Daehyun and Sehun also came to complete the group hug. All their efforts paid off; the hard work and patience was all worth it. Even taking on Luoyong’s wrath was also worth it.

“Seem’s like you’re stuck with us until the end then?” Daehyun reminded.

“Oh !” Yoonmei blurted. “Can I take it back instead?”

“NOOOO!!!” they all refused.