Taking It Slow

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

When the first day of tutoring ended, Yoonmei found out why the boys of F4 flunk miserably during exams. They are the type of students who actually has the will to study but it decreases as time goes by.

Kai gets a lot more fascinated at how many shapes are hidden in the surface of his study desk. Zelo ends up dozing off and losing everything on the way. Sehun and Daehyun on the other hand get distracted easily.

Yoonmei came up with an idea to give them a little push. What better to way to stimulate the brain’s pleasure center? Food.

Food is known to be natural rewards and proved to be very effective. Dogs do tricks much faster at the sight of a snack, and there’s a higher probability that girls would say yes to a date if they receive chocolates.

With Luoyong’s help and immense guidance, Yoonmei managed to make a huge bento box with rolls of kimbap, slices of sausage, eggrolls, and the best of all, a variety of barbecued meats. It was prettily wrapped in silk cloth and she had to hold it with both hands while walking to the library.

The boys were reading History when she came in. They failed to notice her until she placed the little feast she prepared for them.

Daehyun who was nearest to it straightened up in a blink of eye. “What is that?” he asked.

Then, Yoonmei slowly untied the knot. “This right here… is your motivation.” and spread the cloth like a mat. “My grandfather helped me prepared them this morning. It’s not much but I hope you like it!”

The boys have eaten in the most expensive restaurants in Seoul, and practically spent all their lives enjoying dishes made by renowned chefs. But never have they imagined that foods served inside a box could actually look and taste good.

Kai and Sehun craned their necks when she removed the lid, Daehyun quickly rose and his lips without even blinking. He was drawn at the intricate arrangement while the inviting aroma seeped through his nostrils caught him under a spell. “Fooooodddd….” he chanted.

Zelo on the other hand quickly left his chair and failed at snatching a single piece when Yoonmei slapped his hand. “Yah! You can’t have them unless you give me what I want!” she placed the lid back and sat.

“What? What do you want?” Zelo kneeled beside her. “I’ll give you my entire savings! Just tell me! I’m so hungry right now!”

“Nah-uh!” she shook her head. “Go back to your seat so we can start.”

Zelo obeyed like a tamed pet while Yoonmei took out a pair of chopsticks. “Okay! Briefly explain to me the Korean War!” she started eating on her own.

That did it. They each took to their notes and scrambled to search for answers.

“Aigooo~ I never thought I can actually cook this good… Mmmmm” she slowly chewed.

“Yah! You’re killing me here Yoonmei!” Kai hissed.

“Hurry up then…” she chuckled. “I can finish these all if I want to!”

“MWOH???” they chorused. “What are you? The food god?” Sehun remarked, she shrugged while stuffing with another piece.

Then Daehyun raised his hand. “Me! Me! Me!”

“Yes Dae?” she looked at him.

“On June 25, 1950, North Korea launched a surprise attack on South Korea…” he started explaining everything that he remembered about the said topic. They all listened to him and Yoonmei slapped Kai’s hand at one point while reaching to the box. She shot him a glare and he averted his attention back to his best friend. “The result was a three-year war, ending in 1953 with an armistice.” Daehyun finished.

“Good job Daehyun!” Yoonmei took another chopsticks from her backpack and hand it to him. “Dig in!” she said.

“YES!!!” Daehyun rejoiced and raised a fist. After slurping the drool, he snatched a piece of meat. His eyes fluttered to savor the moment. “Mmmmm… This is so ing good!”

Zelo viciously shook him. “Hyung! Can I have one? Please?”

“No can do, bro! I earned this fair and square!” the older gulped and ate some more.

“That’s true, Junhong!” Kai blurted. “You’ll get your chance…” he added.

“Just hurry...” Yoonmei snorted. “Seems like Daehyun will finish them all in no time…”

“Give us the damn question then!” Sehun snarled.

“Okay!” she smirked. “Who is King Sejong?”

Sehun’s face brightened up and flailed his arms in the air. “I know that! Me! Me!” Yoonmei nodded. “In August 1418, King Sejong ascended the throne. He was given the title, King Sejong the Great of Joseon for his contributions especially the creation of Hangeul...” The second youngest in F4 also managed to enumerate the king’s life as a teenager, as a ruler, and even how he died.

“Good job Sehun! Here you go!” Yoonmei tossed him his chopsticks.

“Komawo!” he beamed and quickly dragged his chair to her side.

At that point in time, Yoonmei knew that with a little positivity and focus, the boys might just end up graduating high school with decent grades. She felt relieved and has that sense of achievement already.

But then, she noticed Zelo and Kai staring down at their notes and a bit discouraged. Lips curled, eyes sullen, and were accompanied by a couple of sighs.

“Kai, what’s wrong?” she asked and the two bottomless pits beside her also stopped to look at him.

“I don’t think this whole tutor thing is working.” he said.

“Oh really?” she smirked. “Who led the US troops during the Korean War?”

“General McArthur…” he murmured.

'Tch! Not working ehh?' she smirked. “Was he able to help South Korea in defeating the North?” she asked again and he nodded. “How?”

Kai sighed still looking down. “He orchestrated an amphibious assault in Incheon crushing the North Korean army in a pincer movement and recaptured Seoul...” then a pair of metal chopsticks landed in front of him.

He immediately raised his head and met eyes with her.

“Good job!” Yoonmei raised a thumb and pushed the lunch box in the middle.

“Thanks…” he smiled and ate with the three.

“Junhong-ah!” Yoonmei called and he also raised his head. “Here! You better start eating before your hyungs finish it all!” she tossed him a pair of utensils.

“Ehh??? But I haven’t answered anything yet!” he pouted.

“It’s okay! I ran out of questions anyway!” she lied, and asked the three. “You don’t mind, do you?”

Daehyun reached out to Zelo’s chair and pulled him. “Tch! We can’t just let our maknae starve! Eat up Zelo!”

“Komawo!” Zelo beamed to his friends.

“Anytime bro!” Kai blurted and turned to Yoonmei. “Thanks again for these! It’s really good!”

“Y-You’re welcome…” she smiled and looked away. “Ehem! Okay!” she clapped and let them enjoy the hearty meal. “I’ll discuss more on Joseon Dynasty so listen carefully…”

“Neh!” they answered.

The boys took notes while eating at the same time. Who would’ve thought that the four princes can also multitask? On top of that, they never got bored or sleepy.

Before they knew it, the one hour session turned longer. They failed to notice that the sun has already set and darkness has taken over. The box has gone empty while Yoonmei was left slouching on the swivel chair, rubbing her forehead. She also failed to notice how tired she got until it hit her. ‘Uwaaaa~ Now I know how it feels to be mentally drained…’

The boys were collecting their review materials when they noticed her. “Yoonmei-ah… Gwenchana?” Daehyun asked.

“Mhmmm! Just tired…” she murmured.

“C’mon! I’ll take you home!” he said. Daehyun took her backpack, then her wrist. “Guys! We’ll go ahead!” he pulled her up and walked to the door.

“Neh!” they replied. “By the way, we’re studying tomorrow at my house!” Kai said. “This room is small for all of us!”

“Sweeeet!” Zelo beamed.

“Okay!” Daehyun agreed. “Is it okay with you?” he shook Yoonmei’s arm.

“Yeah! Yeah! Whatever…” she yawned.