Grief

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

“Kim Luoyong, the humble billionaire, an admired man by all, a loving grandfather, was pronounced dead early in the morning following his grandson’s birthday.” a lady reporter said while standing outside a hospital.

F4 was in Daehyun’s house when the breaking news came. They were glued to the TV screen and were left at the edge of the couch.

They listened attentively when Luoyong’s biography was briefly detailed from how he became a successful tycoon until he chose to live a simple life.

Then reality hit them.

Yoonmei’s grief-stricken and crying image was flashed on the screen. She wore a black hanbok while Jaejoong kept hugging her.

Kai raised a hand to his chest and squeezed it when his heart started to swell. ‘Mei…’

“She is Kim Yoonmei. The one and only granddaughter and heiress, the sister of Kim Jaejoong…” the reporter added.

“Oh.my.God!” Sehun gasped.

Zelo kept his cool when all he can think of was Yoonmei. He covered his face when he can’t bear seeing how lonely she was.

Daehyun on the other hand, instantly stood and grabbed his keys.

“Hyung! Where are you going?” Sehun asked.

“Where do you think I’m going?!” he hissed and slammed the main door.

Kai also followed him, then the maknaes.

Luoyong’s death became a trending topic in social media networks and search portals making every media outlet in the country swarm the hospital.

However, only relatives, friends, and close associates were allowed to enter the funeral home which was also in the hospital.

Huge wreaths and weeping mourners overflowed the room. Every man wore black suits. The original F4 did all the arrangements including Yijung and Woobin who instantly flew from overseas after hearing the sad news.

They sat on one of many pews and worriedly watched the siblings.

As family members, Jaejoong and Yoonmei sat on the wooden floor. Just beside them was a small table with Luoyong’s photo encased in white chrysanthemums, and behind it was a partition where the casket was set.

Yooonmei let her hair down and used it to hide her face. Her eyes have gone swollen when tears never stopped from falling. Her cheeks started to sink, and lips turned chapped from dehydration. Grief, as they say it, can cause a person to double in age and wither the body.

Jaejoong kept his arm around her and always whispered comforting words. He too has his fair share of sorrows but chose to keep it for her sake.

She was cracking bits by bits and God only knows when she will shatter.

“Jaejoong! Yoonmei!” a voice called.

They both turned and saw their parents at the entrance.

The mourners also saw them.

Junpyo and his friends stood to bow, so did the entire room.

“Daddy!” Yoonmei cried and ran.

“Umma!” Jaejoong did as well.

Their father caught her and hugged her tightly. “Aigooo Yoonmei-ah… Miahnae…” he murmured against her hair. “I’m really sorry…”

Yoonmei cried even more. “Daddy… Grandpa…”

“I know sweetheart…” he rubbed her back. “And I’m sorry…”

Their mother hugged Jaejoong as well who was like a little boy asking for help. He placed his chin on her shoulder and squeezed her tighter in his arms. “Ummaaaaa…” he whispered.

“Sssshhhhh…. It’s okay, son…” she patted his back. “It’s gonna be okay… We’re gonna get through this…” she looked up to block any emotions.

Both parents supported their kids back to where Luoyong was. They bowed ninety degrees, then let them sit.

“Jae?” his father spoke. “Take care of your sister while your mom and I attend to our visitors, okay?”

“Neh…” he sniffled and wiped his tears.

Yoonmei leaned her head on her brother’s shoulder and they left.

Although Luoyong treated him as a grandson, no one knew about the role of Kris in the old man’s life but the family. He never even thought that the man who took him in was one of the wealthiest and most powerful in Korea.

But all he can see was an 80 year old man, gardening with his bare hands and would sometimes yell at his hot headed granddaughter.

Kris walked through a crowd of camera crews and swarming gossipmongers who gave him looks of disgust.

When he was about to step into the room, a group of bodyguards blocked him and stared from head to toe. “Who are you? What’s your business here?” asks one of them.

“I’m Wu Fan and I came to pay my respects.” he bowed.

Another guard pulled out sheets of paper and ran his pen on it. “Sorry, but your name is not on the list. You may leave now.” he said.

At that point in time, the mourners noticed him and gave him the looks as well.

Kris took a deep breath and swallowed his pride. “You don’t understand…” he said while keeping his head down. “I’ve been a loyal servant to Kim Luoyong and he is like a father to me. Please… I just want to be with him for the last time…” he clenched his fist.

“I’m sorry but we’re just following orders. Anyone who is not in the guest list is not allowed to come in.” says the guard.

Then the younger F4 came.

“What are your names?” asks the guard.

“Kim Jongin.” Kai said. “And they are Jung Daehyun, Oh Sehun, and Choi Junhong.” he pointed his friends beside him.

The guard ran his pen on the paper and made way for them without saying a word.

Kai and Kris caught each other’s eyes and hurled daggers at each other. They’ve been sworn enemies for so long that being a few inches from each other proves to be dangerous.

“Jongin!” Daehyun sneered.

With that, Kai looked away and left him.

Kris took a deep breath and dipped his head to hide his frustration.

“Let him in!” says a voice.

He looked up and saw a tall man in black suit walking towards them. “You’re Wu Fan right?” he nodded. “I’m Kim Changhee, eldest son of Luoyong, and father of Jaejoong and Yoonmei.”

Kris bowed in an instant.

The bodyguards moved back and he placed an arm around his shoulder. “It’s okay…” he then guided him inside. “It’s nice meeting you. My father said great things about you and behalf of my family, thank you for looking after him.”

“It’s nothing, sir. I would do anything for the man who helped and mold me into who I am today.” Kris said.

‘Dad’s right…’ Changhee thought. ‘Kris is indeed a good kid.’ “Tsah! You may join Jaejoong and Yoonmei over there.” he gestured towards the innermost part of the room.

Every single attention in that room followed every step he made. They were both curious and intrigued at a young man’s sudden appearance who does not appear to belong in a noble rank.

Kris on the other hand has his eyes at the picture frame on top of the table. The man that scooped him out of the streets and gave him food, shelter, and clothing was nothing but a memory.

He got excessively hard on himself and even blamed himself for it. If only he stayed longer that night. If only he checked on him just like he used to.

Kris is not the type who shows his emotions. He chooses to keep it all in even if his heart could sink from the heavy weight. Even if his throat grew painful from all that swallowing. His strong façade has always been his strength.

Upon reaching the small table, he kneeled and bowed until his forehead reached the floor.

As he raised himself up and shifted to bow to the siblings, his heart exploded.

Yoonmei kept her head on her brother’s shoulder with eyes completely shut. She was sullen but grief was written all over.

It marks the first time to see her as an heiress. But for him, she was the same exact person except the loneliness. She completely lost that spark.

The girl who was once quirky, speaks a curse in every sentence, and yells when she talks, was nothing but empty.

“M-Mei…” he softly spoke.

She didn’t respond.

A glass wall seemed to have appeared in front of her, blurring people and muffling their voices.

“Mei?” Jaejoong looked over to her. “Kris is here…” he whispered.

She didn’t move. Not even spoke.

And a tear slowly fell from the corner of her eye.

Kris looked down to the floor.

He can’t bear seeing it. That single tear cut his lungs making it hard to breathe.

Kris bowed to Jaejoong and left.

Then Kai and Daehyun stood at the same time and replaced him. The maknaes followed them and all four of them bowed to Luoyong, then Jaejoong.

They immediately knew why Kris had to leave. Seeing Yoonmei was utterly painful.

Daehyun reached out to her hand and she gave the same response... a tear trickling down her face.

“Mei… It’s me… Daehyunnie…” he squeezed her hand.

At that moment, they could only let her feel that each one of them will be there for her, heiress or not.

Yoonmei slowly let go of Daehyun's hand and hugged Jaejoong.

Their hearts crumbled right then and there.