Responsibility

Me VS F4: Finest Four

 

Yoonmei was transferred into a private room which was a lot bigger and cozier almost like a lavish hotel room. A medical team was on high alert 24/7 and kept coming in to check on her.

It was after lunch when Miyung came back with Kris and Kai. They found Daehyun, Zelo and Sehun sleeping awkwardly in a long couch, while Jaejoong and Luhan sat on a chair on each side of Yoonmei’s bed, watching her sleep.

“Jae? How’s your sister?” she asked.

“Mom!” Jaejoong quickly stood and hugged her. “She’s still the same. How ‘bout you? Are you okay? How did it go?”

She hugged him back and leaned her head on his shoulder. “I’m okay… Sora will be spending the rest of her life in jail. I think it would be best to have her stay to suffer slowly, than to have her killed and leave just like that...”

“Aigoooo~ She deserve it anyway.” he sighed while rubbing her arm.

He also saw Kris keeping an arm around Kai’s shoulder as they watch Yoonmei. “Kris! You’re a hyung now! Take care of Jongin, araseo? Take care of each other!”

“Neh!” they answered.

The door suddenly opened and their heads went straight to it. Even the three who were sleeping were awakened.

“Appa!” Jaejoong called.

He went to his father with his mother in tow and they hugged.

“Oh my God! My MeiMei…” the father choked after seeing his unresponsive daughter. He had each of his arms on his wife and son, but his eyes were directed straight to Yoonmei. His heart sank at the sight of a frail girl completely battered and almost lifeless. “Yoonmei-ah…” he murmured.

That made his wife cry. There’s nothing more painful than watching a majestic man break.

The head of the household went closer to Yoonmei and held her hand as careful as he can. His other hand went up to remove strands of hair from her forehead. “Sweetheart? Daddy’s here…” then he stooped lower to her ear. “Everybody’s here and we’ll just be here until you wake up, okay? Wo ai ni, MeiMei…” he murmured.

His wife came from behind and held his trembling shoulders. “Hun, the doctors said her chances of survival are slim. Eotteokke?” she sobbed.

He straightened up and hugged her. “We’ll just have to believe in Yoonmei and that slim chance. She’s gonna get through this!”

Luhan had his elbows on the edge of the bed while resting his chin on top of his clasped hands. He can’t let his eyes leave her. If only he can switch places with her, he would. ‘Mei… Please! Come back! I beg you! Please!’

Kai saw himself in Luhan. The way he looked at her. The way he slowly dies inside. He was feeling the exact same thing. ‘If you love her as much as I do… I think I might just give her up…’ his head dropped. ‘But my heart won’t let me... It will stop beating if I do that.’

“Bro!” Kris came to his side. “Yoonmei’s dad wants to talk to us…”

Kai looked up and saw him walking towards a rectangular table in the corner of the room. His friends were also seated on the couch not far from it.

Jaejoong and Miyung sat on one side, Kris and Kai on the other, and Changhee on the edge. “Wu Fan? Jongin? I’m happy that you’re now finally reunited as brothers. I hope you treat each other well and make up those years that have been wasted.”

“Brothers?” Zelo looked at Daehyun and Sehun who replied with a mere shrug.

Changhee heard them so he turned. “You see guys, Jongin and Kris are brothers! It’s a long story but it’s all true!”

Sehun instantly stood and went to Kai. “Jinjja?” his leader nodded with a smile. “Uwaaaa~ I’m so happy for you man!” he patted his shoulder. “I knew there’s something between you and that giant!”

Kris scowled at him.

“Miahn…” Sehun grinned. “That’s the name Jongin gave you!”

“I did not!” Kai denied.

They chuckled and Changhee waved. “Settle down guys… You can continue with that later…”

“Oh...” Sehun bowed shyly and silently went back to the couch.

Kris bowed his head as they continued. “Ye sajangnim!”

“No need for that!” he smiled. “You can call me abeoji from now on coz Miyung and I will stand as your guardians. That’s a promise we kept from my father!”

Kris clasped both hands on the table and stared at it. “I couldn’t be more grateful for what your family did to me. I’m truly lucky to have found Grandpa Louyong!”

Changhee reached out to his hands and held it. “Kris…” he looked at him. “Luck is when you win the lottery, or when you get hit by a car and live to tell the story… The day my father found you was your destiny.” the man said. “Things happen for a reason and as time goes by, things will fall into place… And that silly daughter of mine brought you to your brother.” he and Kai looked straight towards Yoonmei. “Even though she’s one hell of a pain in the , please do know that it’s her way of showing affection.”

Both boys chuckled. “Yeah… We know.” Kai blurted.

“Tsah!” Changhee straightened up and the two averted their attention back to him. “Jongin! Your mother, I mean Kim Sora, will be imprisoned and stripped off everything up to the last cent… And since you’re still underage…” he faced Kris. “It will be your hyung who will take over your business and manage your properties. Are you ready for that, Kris?”

Kris was in utter disbelief. He failed to realize the burden and responsibility he got for having Kai as a brother. He didn't even expect anything in return as long as they stay together.

Yoonmei’s mother saw the worry in his face. His eyes moved from side to side while biting his lower lip. “Kris… You don’t have to worry about anything. Changhee and I will give you all the support that you need. Jaejoong will also be there for you. Besides! What’s the use of years of training you got from Louyong? It’s about time you put them to good use!”

“Neh!” Jaejoong assured him and eyed the younger brother. “Jongin can also help if he wants. He’ll just have to juggle it with school and I’m pretty sure that with the help of their very hot and inspiring tutor…” he winked. “He’ll be able to cope with it!”

Kai’s lips formed into a smile in a blink of an eye. “Of course!” he also patted Kris’ arm. “Don’t worry, hyung! I got your back!”

Kris blew out an air and accepted the challenge. “I just find it amazing how grandpa did it all without me knowing. I’m speechless! Uwaaaa~” he shook his head.

Changhee held his shoulder firmly. “That’s how he does things so I hope you live by it.”

Kris nodded.

The room got filled with laughs that lightened up the mood. It’s like everything seemed brighter for all of them. No more sufferings for Kai. Kris won’t have to be alone anymore. Yoonmei’s parents got the justice they’ve been waiting for.

Daehyun also came into realization. Kai didn’t just get a brother, but a family in Yoonmei. She became the bridge to give Kai the life he always wanted. She even managed to make everything easier for him.

‘Yoonmei-ah! You’re not the evil girl that everyone says coz I’m looking at an angel right now…’ he smiled.

However, his face suddenly fell.

He saw Luhan stood and frantically watch Yoonmei in panic while calling her. “M-Mei? HEY!!!”

A steady beeping sound vibrated through the room that caught his attention. He looked at the monitor, and what was once a line that goes up and down, was now going horizontally straight. “YOONMEI!!!” he shouted.

Everyone from the table scrambled and before Daehyun could ask help, the medical team came.

“We got a flatline!” says the doctor.

“Oh my God!” her mother covered her gaping mouth. “Changhee-ah! Our baby!” she cried and grew hysterical.

Her husband instantly hugged her while pulling her back.

Jaejoong approached his sister’s bed but was blocked by a female nurse. “Sir! I’m sorry but you have to stay back!”

Another nurse also pulled Luhan away from the bed. “MEIMEI!!! NOOOOO!!!” he yelled. "Don't even think about it! I swear, Yoonmei! Don't even ing think about it!" he raged.

Kai paced from afar with hands firmly clasped by his chest. ‘Mei… Please… C’mon… Damn it! Stay with me…'

Before they knew it, Yoonmei was being swarmed by doctors and nurses who was trying revive to her.