Chapter 63.

Letting Go, To Hold On

published on 20/12/12


(Taemin's POV)

We walked towards the nearest supermarket that was just a few minutes walk away. It seems like Mike hyung is well known at the supermarket. I could see all the Ahjumma and all the Ahjussi just greeting Mike Hyung as he entered. He seemed like a super star. Eventhough he was just someone normal.  We went to choose the chicken to buy , and he talked to the Ahjumma .

Mike : Ahjumma! Long time no see !
Ahjumma : Oh ? Michael ?
Mike : Nae , it's me !  
Ahjumma : Ah .. is ______ sick again ?
Mike : Nae , you know what we need right ?
Ahjumma : wait here . I'll be back .

Just then the Ahjumma walked away without even asking us what we need. I turned to talk to Mike hyung that was just looking at the chopped chicken in the freezers. 

Me : Hyung .
Mike : Hmm ?
Me : what now ?
Mike : We wait .
Me : Don't we have to find the other ingr-
Mike : It's been taken care of. 
Me : Bwo ?
Mike : Me and that Ahjumma , we've been taking care of ______. She kind of know the ingredients. The whole time ______ was here during her trainee days as JYP. If you didn't know this supermarket caught on fire once. If it wasn't for  ______ , she would've died.
Me : B-bw-
Mike : We didn't know what caused the fire , but it was a big fire. They had to rebuild the whole supermarket because of the fire. Believe it or not, _____ saved that Ahjumma's life .
Me : Wah .. how ?
Mike : You should ask the Ahjumma herself , she can still recall it like it was yesterday. Because of that, Ahjumma has been like a mother for _____ when she was here in Korea.

Ahjumma : "Michael! Here are the ingredients !". Mike hyung turned around and passed her some money. She sat down on a chair while Mike sat beside her. I sat on a stool beside Mike hyung that was also in front of the Ahjumma .

Mike : Ahjumma !
Ahjumma : Nae ?
Mike : How's business ?
Ahjumma : Ah .. it's still going well. How's ______ ?
Mike : Aigoo , I'll bring her here one day. I bet she misses you .
Ahjumma : I miss that girl too .
Me : Juh gi (Words to grab someone's attention, something like excuse me)
Ahjumma : Hmm ? Aren't you .. 
Me : Nae , Annyeonghaseyo Ahjumma . SHINee's Maknae Taemin-inmida -bows-
Ahjumma : Oh , annyeonghaseyo.
Me : About ______ .. 
Mike : Ahjumma , he wants to know about the fire incident .
Ahjumma : Ah .. well ..
Mike : Take your time .

 

" It was during that fire one day. If I remember correctly it was on a Sunday. I have no idea how the fire started out, but suddenly it was getting hot. I thought maybe it was just the heater. But then all the other sellers were gone. The fishmonger , the butcher , were all gone. I didn't know what happened so I stayed there. Suddenly it was getting smoky. I thought maybe someone was just grilling some meat in the supermarket. It's not allowed but they do it all the time anyways. Just then I hear shoutings and people shouting to evacuate the supermarket immediately. When I got up , there was an explosion behind me and I guess I passed out." the Ahjumma explained .

"When I opened my eyes , the whole place was filled with dark smoke and I couldn't see a thing. I hear a man shouting "Is there anyone here ?!?" but I couldn't shout back as I choked on the smoke. Just then a girl, which was _____. She was only about 12 years old at that time and I could tell she was getting weaker and weaker by the minute. She placed a damp cloth over my mouth and told me to breathe. I tried to get up but I couldn't. There was something heavy on top of my legs. I tried all I can to push it away but I couldn't. _____ passed me her cloth and told me to stay put as she tried to get help. I tried to tell her to go and just save herself but she strictly said no. For a 12 year old, she's pretty bold. Just then she came back with Michael. You guys call him Mike. He came and pushed off the fridge that was on my leg with ______. From there they helped me to get out of the super market and I was taken to the hospital"

"Wah .." was the only thing that I could let out just by listening to how brave , courageous and caring _____ was as a kid. Even now she's the same but it seems that she's been like that even when she was young. 

Ahjumma : So how's she doing ?
Mike : Same old same old , she got accepted in SM this time .
Ahjumma : Aigoo .. that's good. She said she wouldn't give up on making her father proud .
Mike : Nae , oh , I think we have to go now.
Ahjumma : Nae , take care. Send my regards to her .
Mike : Nae . Annyeong .-bows-
Me : A-annyeong -bows-

From there we walked out of the supermarket to walk back towards the apartment. Just as we reached to the front door, Mike hyung got a phone call. All I could hear him say was "Yes". "no". "Are you stupid ?" . "I'll be there in 10 minutes,don't do anything stupid" . And he hung up . He waited for me to open the door and when I did he followed me in, placed the ingredients on the kitchen counter and walked towards the doorstep.

"Here" he said while passing me a white paper with writings on it. I assume it was instructions.

Me : oh ?
Mike : I have somewhere to go now. So these are the instructions to cooking the porridge. Sorry I couldn't help out.
Me : Ah , hyung. Gomawo, you helped a lot alread y!
Mike : Nae , take care of her well .
Me : Nae .

After that he left and I closed the door. I walked towards the kitchen and tried to understand the instructions. I glanced at the sofa and see that ______ is asleep. Hmm . She listened well. A smile formed upon my lips, it faded the moment I looked back at the instructions. I tried to take a smaller pot when all the pots and pans fell off the shelf to the ground. She sat up instantly and walked towards the kitchen. I squat down to pick up all the pots and pans while she joined in to help me.

Me : M-mianhae .
______ : Oppa , you at trying to surprise me by cooking some chicken porridge.
Me : B-bwo ? How did yo-
______ : Need help ?
Me : No , no no no no no . You get out of the kitchen . Go sleep or something .
______ : Yah .. don't you think you're being too independent ?
Me : No , out out out !

I helped her up and pushed her out of the kitchen while closing the glass door. She scrunched her nose while sticking her tongue out as she leaned against the glass door. I did signals asking her to lay down but she shook her head. She walked towards the dining table and sat there , just watching me through the glass walls. I blew a flying kiss and she grabbed it and kept it in her pocket. She can be so childish sometimes.

 

Oh God , how do I cook this?