pt 9

Moments with Her

SinB sat nervously in the police station, they had called her in for questioning and had gone to Sowon for it as well, but seeing as she was unharmed, they wanted to her to go to the station itself in order to make a statement. Luckily or unluckily, Yerin and Eunha were taken in for questioning as well, but they were stuck outside as she waited on the officer inside the small room. It wasn’t very well lit and from her knowledge of the multitudes of dramas and movies she’s watched, she knew that the side wall was really a one way mirror.

She stared down on the table, reducing herself as much as possible. It was uncomfortable, being under surveillance, did it matter that much to have the victim to be questioned under such scary circumstances? She decided it was just a formality, but it still pushed her nerves to the max. SinB hoped that it would be over quickly so that she could at least be with Yerin or Eunha when her turn was over.

An officer walked in, his gun holster was empty, but he still kept the strap around his torso, SinB wondered why he would want to keep it on but empty, maybe he forgot to take it off? Maybe it was for the convenience of an emergency dispatch? Just take the gun and stick it in? No matter how suspicious it was, she was too nervous to point it out.

“You are miss Hwang Eunbi, born June 3rd, 1998. Correct?”

“Yes, that is correct.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yerin nervously paced outside the interrogation room, why their statements had to be taken inside the interrogation room bewildered her, they were giving a statement and a side of the story to the police, why was it necessary? But the police were the police, government workers that had the power over them to a certain degree. She remained still. Eunha had managed to get the authorization to let them into the interrogation room, why they allowed that was also beyond Yerin. In some cases, the confessions would make the other culprits reveal what’s worse about the other, but for this?

They got in as SinB finished telling about her family, the officer nodded her to continue.

“I recovered from my state of shock under Sojung unnie enough to work again, by then we had decided that I should go by a different identity.”

“I see, so you lied to Joonyoung ssi?”

“What? I-“

“You lied to him first?”

“I mean I guess I did but how is this relevant?”

“You didn’t hear? He’s pressing charges for defamation of character.”

“What?”

SinB was dumbfounded, as well as Yerin and Eunha who stood stock still in the observation room.

“But the evidence we gave you, he’s not-“

“That’s your opinion, not to offend you or anything.”

SinB looked around, trying to figure out what the heck this officer was saying. Was she not supposed to tell her the wrongdoings of Joonyoung and not call him a dirty bastard? She glanced at the mirror wall then looked back at the officer. Something was off, had they met before?

“Okay? By the way, are you usually assigned to this station? I’ve forgotten what the name of the street of where I ran into him again in disguise but I know it’s the same as the one this station address is on.”

The officer stared at her creepily. She fidgeted in her seat.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?”

“You recognize me, don’t you?”

SinB shook her head at first, trying to figure out what he meant, she did think he was familiar, but she couldn’t quite…

“I know you never saw him outside of his house, it’s impossible that you met, you’ve figured something out haven’t you?”

This was beginning to creep SinB out, what was this man saying? He reached for something in his pocket and SinB began to scoot back in her chair, pulling away from the table between them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What is he doing?”

The audio had cut out and the officers in the observation room were trying to figure out what was happening, not watching the room anymore in order to check on the machinery that was supposed to be recording this.

“What do you mean?”

One officer looked up from under the table where he was checking the wires and panicked, recognizing the stance the guy on the inside was holding.

“Get the security! He’s got a knife!”

Yerin looked into the room more carefully, when and where did he get the knife? In fact, was he even a real officer? She rushed outside to the door that went into the interrogation room, she watched helplessly as they tried to get the door to open.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m just glad I get to finish my job, you gave me a lot of issues, hiding away in that trunk like that.”

SinB finally recognized him as one of the first men who broke into the house when she was running up the stairs, her hands began to shake and she scooted back further from the table, the back of her chair hitting the wall.

He drew his knife from the back of his calf, where he kept a hidden zipper to keep the knife on him and stood up, shining the sharp end in the light a few times to admire the blade.

“Time to meet your parents, princess, or should I say, prince?”

SinB scrambled out of the way, running off to the side and using the chair to keep something between them, he had lunged across the table and was now getting his bearings, getting his feet on the floor.

“I’m not dying here today.”

The training she did with Sowon were fresh in her mind, from the moment she learned he was aiming to kill, her adrenaline pumped through her body as a result of panic, but it oddly cleared her mind. Sowon said to breathe, no matter what, she should breathe as normally as possible, just hyperventilating would do her no good.

Placing her feet in the correct position, she tensed just a little for the spring motion she would need to dodge, but when she loses the chair, she would have to depend on her hands. Seeing his arm stiffen almost as if in slow motion, she reacted just as fast, pulling the chair up and blocking the stab perfectly.

“Argh! You! Why do you want to prolong your death so much? I’m sure your parents miss you very much!”

SinB ignored his words, drawing her hands up to guard her chest, hands open and ready to deflect. The hardest part of a person’s hands were not the knuckles, rather the base of your palm. Knuckles were more painful as they were pointed, but for more efficient energy distribution, it would be better and stronger to deflect swings with your palm.

“I have people who are waiting for me here.”

Remain calm, duck under the swing, push in the same direction of the swing to throw off his balance.

“I have people who I have to express my gratitude to!”

Step back out of range as he gets reckless with rage, avoid being in range unless you see an opening to hit his solar plexus.

“I still haven’t experienced love yet!”

She saw his swing miss and lunged forwards, curling her hand into a fist and driving it forwards with all her weight, connecting perfectly and knocking his breath out. She grabbed his wrist with the knife and using both hands, twisted it enough to force him to let go. Overpowered however, she was shoved into the wall.

Breathe. He grabbed his knife again but used his left hand this time. Was he ambidextrous? SinB tried to dodge, but she wasn’t used to left handed attackers, Sowon had sparred with her, but Sowon was right handed. Wincing as the knife grazed her cheek, she quickly hit him once in the side before the door to the room was shoved open and the other police came running in with their guns out.

“PUT YOUR HANDS UP!”

Yerin ran inside after the police, hugging SinB, her arms wrapping around her shoulders tightly, as if intending to take any hits to save her, but luckily, the police had managed to grab the murderer before he could lunge one last time. Even though the police took him away, Yerin still didn't let go of SinB.

"Yerin unnie?"

"You're okay."

Her voice was shaking, was she crying?

SinB cautiously reached her hands up from her sides, holding onto Yerin finally.

“You’re okay!”

Hearing Yerin’s sobs seemed to sober SinB up from her adrenaline high, her body relaxed from its heightened reflexive state. Yerin pulled away and sniffled, holding SinB’s cheeks. She softly rubbed the cut on SinB’s cheek.

“I-“

SinB’s eyes widened as Yerin kissed her.

===============

ohohoho