love in the skies

Moments with Her

Yerin fixed her uniform in front of the mirror, straightening her collar, making sure her name tag was legible and proper, she exited the changing room with a confident stride. Passing her superior, Yerin grinned as they gave her an exasperated sigh.

"Why do I even bother with you...."

"Because I'm your best co-pilot silly!"

Sowon groaned as she put on her captain's hat, for some reason, the airport that they were taking off from had some sort of special event for the pilots and fellow workers on the plane, including the maintainence crew, the flight attendants. They were required to walk through the airport like a parade of sorts, except for the fact that both Sowon and Yerin had a long flight immediately after the ceremony.

"You're my only co-pilot, idiot."

The grin on Yerin's cheeks only widened as she spun around the room as she waited for Sowon to finish putting her tie properly. Her captain was oddly into the men's version of the outfit and the superiors had no way to discourage her from dressing as such. Furthermore, they were required to wear their jackets. Which they usually just carried on their arms before boarding the plane, it wasn't like the airport to be uncomfortably cold anyways. For a flight crew, the most important part was appearance. The people riding on that flight have to see that you are confident and well kept in order to trust your flying skills. This also applied to flight attendants, they had to look nice so that the customers were calm, they had to remain calm during times of commotion, to let people know that everything would be fine.

"Go check on the rest of our crew, and don't take too long with the attendants!"

"Roger!"

Yerin happily ran out of the  changing room, hurrying to where their cabin crew were getting ready, only a few attendants and a few of the other workers were selected to walk in the parade since there were so many other workers on different planes, bu the captain and co-pilot must be in attendance.

"Hey guys!"

"Miss Jung!"

"How do I look with this jacket? Cool?"

"Of course!"

The female attendants fanwed over her, as usual. The men just stared and clapped, it wasn't like they could say otherwise anyways, she was their superior in a way after all.

"Eunbi is in the last changing room still."

"Ah, thanks."

She blew an exaggerated kiss to teh air before walking her way to SinB's door. She knocked three times, whispering quietly.

"Hey."

The sound of the door unlocking clicked and Yerin smiled, slowly pushing open the door just enough to get inside. Finding herself facing SinB's back as her favorite attendant and girlfriend was trying to tie her hair up, she easily slipped herself against her in a backhug.

"You're looking beautiful."

"Che, you tell me that everyday."

Yerin grinned as her hands wandered south, squeezing her girlfriend's bottom for a second to which SinB flinched but remained focused on her task at hand.

"Hands off, I don't want you to wrinkle the skirt."

"But it's been so long since I saw you in a skirt!"

"And it's only for a little while, I'm changing once we get on the plane."

"Fine, fine."

SinB kept two sets of their airline's uniform, one of each gender. She never wore one proper set when working, and it never bothered people nor did it look bad to them anyways. It was always the female top and male pants, she hated that the skirt was too short, and that it restricted her way of walking. But then again, the male shirt was uncomfortable on her chest.

Yerin hummed quietly as she waited for SinB to finish doing her hair, she was still combing some knots to make it smoother for her to tie it, the hair tie caught between her lips as she concentrated.  Clearing when she realized she was staring at SinB's lips and the way she bit them in her memories fresh in her mind, Yerin patted SinB on the shoulder once and left the room with the reminder that they needed to go in five minutes.

"Roger...hm? She didn't do what she usually does?"

SinB shrugged and put her hair tie in place, checking to make sure that she tied it properly before fixing her clothes one last time in the mirror.

"I mean it wasn't like I wanted her to kiss me or something...."

She puffed her cheeks in annoyance but patted them back down and put on a professional smile.

"Just one walk through the airport, not that hard, be nice Eunbi ah."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The procession went well, all the captains and co-pilots walked together with their crew behind each one respectivey to represent their airlines. When it ended hwoever, all of the source airline crew walked with a rather fast pace to their gate, their fellow crewmates all helping move their carry on items onboard before the general boarding. SinB had slipped her hand into Yerin's as she passed through first, she gave her a reassuring smile that they were okay on time before disappearing into the plane as Yerin waited for her id to scan. Before she could run after SinB to get her usual flight charm, Sowon grabbed her shoulder.

"You have to remember to be professional. Calm down. Once we're in the air, I'll give you permission to go."

Yerin stopped in her tracks, obeying. She shouldn't appear to be in panic, they had this. It was in control. Their flight wasn't running late. Though she worried that since she didn't manage to get her "good luck charm" because of her brain's incompetance in remaining decent, that maybe, just maybe she was a little nervous.

"I swear, either she's got you in a trap, or you're the worst co-pilot ever."

"Hey! I'm the best co-pilot."

"Right, right. Ace of the fligth academy. AFTER, I graduated. Idiot, it's fine."

Making their way to the cockpit, Yerin was to stand just outside of it to greet the first class people. SinB was usually assigned to front or mid plane as her area to manage, today, she got the back of the plane because one of their other attendants had to take maternity leave, so SinB had to help with the food distribution.

The issue with Yerin was, that she was the one ace pilot, who had a very teeny tiny fear of heights.

Take off and landing were her worst, which was why despite being an ace, she was only a co-pilot unlike Sowon. Everything was fine once she was off the ground and above the clouds, when all she could see was just blue sky. How did she make it that far? Somehow she had managed a perfect takeoff and landing on her final exam, everything else in between she had performed as perfectly as expected. So long as she remained calm enough to get into the sky, there was nothing wrong with letting her be a pilot, was what the committee decided. Being a pilot was actually a rather rare job, not many people were brave enough to take hundred's of lives into their hands to fly, and Yerin always took responsibilities, she never had a bad start or end, only a little bit of nerves whenever she did it that showed on her face.

"Yerin, report to the tower."

"Yes."

She entered the cockpit and took her seat, going over the controls that were now familiar to her to the point that she could do it with her eyes closed. This was the usual, report flight number, confirm takeoff lane, confirm takeoff sequence, confirm takeoff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sowon let Yerin go once they were above the clouds, their long flight was a direct flight from Korea to California, following a curve around the Pacific. She was already feeling better, but going to see SinB was always a mood boost. She bowed as she walked past all the staff and cabins, a friendly smile on her face. She even high fived a child who looked no more than six years old.

Reaching the back, Yerin grabbed one of Sowon's favorite snacks and placed it aside for her to take back to her captain. There were many things to be nervous about this flight, turbulance, timing, supposedly there was a company paid section of people who had connecting flights to Canada after.

"Eunbi."

SinB looked up from her sorting of napkins to plastic cups, prepping them for convenience later. She smiled and took Yerin's hand, leading her to the staff bathroom in the far back of the plane. Cramming themselves inside it, they hugged each other close.

"How are you doing?"

"Perfect, as usual."

"Everything as expected of the shining ace co-pilot?"

"Of course."

Yerin smiled, SinB's hair which she had let back down when she changed back to wearing pants. SinB just snuggled closer to Yerin, her face pressed against Yerin's chest warmly.

"You forgot something earlier."

SinB sounded as if she was pouting. This made Yerin's heart skip a beat, it wasn't often that SinB added a little whine to the end of her complaints.

"I-I did?"

Looking up at her, SinB just sighed.

"Look, it's for you, not me okay?"

She leaned up and kissed Yerin softly. This was their "good luck charm", a ritual they did supposedly before every flight together. Of course, SinB would never admit that she needed the kiss as much as Yerin, always with the excuse of "for you, not me" on her lips even as she smiled and did things on her own.

"Silly."

Yerin giggled as SinB hit her arms a few times, still not letting go.

"Come on, we have to get back out before the others start wondering why you're gone so long."

"Aw, but I wanted to hold you a few minutes more."

SinB hesitated at Yerin's insistance, but still her sense of duty only won after another five minutes of close proximity. Of course, Yerin's hands were busy as usual and SinB hated long flights for this reason, but that was a private thing. Leaving the bathroom with flushed cheeks, SinB went back to preparing her stuff as Yerin happily made her way back to the cockpit.

"I SAID YOU COULD GO SEE HER, NOT SPEND HALF AN HOUR OFF DUTY!"