pt 4 finale

Moments with Her

SinB who was watching Yerin, immediately turned when she saw her eyes widen in shock. Spotting the truck, she ran in front of it and stopped it with her hands, her heels burning against the sidewalk, sidestepping a fire hydrant, the truck came to a stop and she made eye contact with the driver inside. He grabbed his black box and made a run for it, but SinB made it explode in his hands.

Walking after him in a threateningly slow manner as he stared in shock at his hand, the cellphones around them each shut down and restarted as SinB got rid of any video evidence. Even if someone went to the police, they’d have no evidence but eye witness.

Grabbing the man’s collar, she lifted him up slowly, until his feet were slightly dangling above the ground. People had begun to run since there was a careening truck, even more began to run when they noticed their phones stopped working.

“It was Noh sunbae who sent you wasn’t it?”

“I won’t tell you anything.”

SinB let him down, only to flip his arm behind him, forcing him on his knees. Yerin ran over, over her initial shock as SinB had managed to stop the truck only several meters in front of Yerin.

“Call Sowon unnie, we’re taking him for interrogation.”

Yerin nodded, immediately dialing Sowon’s number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yerin paced outside the room where they kept the hitman, biting her lip as she worried about what happened inside, she had nothing to do with that part of the deal, and as such was not allowed in.

Hearing the door open, Yerin turned to look.

“Yerin unnie.”

“SinB, is Sowon with him?”

“Yes, he will be interrogated with mom’s truth serum.”

Yerin could only make an uncertain chuckle, SinB’s mother was a fearsome engineer/scientist. Noticing SinB’s hands turned away from her, she pulled at them to see.

Finding them all scratched up with the mechanisms inside exposed, Yerin gasped. SinB just ppulled her hands away from her.

“I’ll ask mom to fix it, nothing to worry about.”

“But-“

“I don’t feel pain.”

Yerin frowned but nodded. There was no use worrying over something that couldn’t feel pain right?

“Are you alright though?”

“Huh?”

“That truck was going for you.”

Yerin just waved SinB off.

“It was aiming at me to get you, to think you could stop a truck, you’re actually more powerful than I thought, you metal head.”

“I’m not made of metal, I’m-“

“Made of carbon nanotubes, I get it I get it, but you’re still a robot, and I’m still calling you a metal head.”

SinB nodded, shoving her hands in her pocket.

“Aren’t you going to ask your mom to go fix your hands? Go on and go then, I’ll just head home now.”

SinB walked to the door, then walked back.

“Mom is busy right now.”

“Eh? Well, then I guess I can keep you company.”

Yerin sat down on the couch, noticing a twinge in her chest, she unconsciously rubbed at her metal bolt in her ribcage.

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Totally fine.”

Yerin caught SinB’s wink and sighed when she realized SinB was touching her hand.

“You feel pain somewhere, where?”

“What? Can’t use x-ray eyes? I’m disappointed.”

Yerin gave a joking sigh and shook her head with a half-smile.

“I did have x-ray before.”

“Woah, ert.”

SinB frowned and opened to correct her, but Yerin shushed her with a finger.

“Joking. But what for?”

“I was supposed to become a doctor, but human Eunbi got hurt. So, this is my role. Do you think I do my job well?”

Yerin hummed and rubbed her chin.

“Nope, you’re not doing well, because you don’t play a very good Eunbi. Eunbi is always cold and alone. She didn’t trust a lot of people. Then again, you’re you, and she is her.”

SinB blinked as she listened.

“I am me.”

“That’s right, what else did you think?”

SinB shook her head before sitting down across from Yerin, she looked pensive, if robots could be pensive at all.

“I think, you are the only one who see me and Eunbi as separate beings.”

“What? What about your mom and Sowon unnie?”

SinB looked Yerin in her eyes, her robotic eyes not blinking as she looked.

“Recently, mom keeps calling me Eunbi. She keeps telling me to be more like her.”

Yerin tilted her head confusedly. Earlier when they were going to the arcade, SinB’s mother had seemed fine. Was she different when they were alone? Or was she only smiling because of caring for the human Eunbi? Did she just shoo them away? Not really caring where they went?

“Then Sowon unnie?”

“I’ve never been a separate being, I am merely a replacement for her Eunbi.”

“That’s sad.”

“I do not feel sad.”

“Well, I’ll feel sad for you then. I’ll give you a hug.”

Getting up and reaching her arms out, she nodded SinB to take her hug.

“Come on, let me comfort your nonexistent heart.”

SinB just blinked and offered a smile before hugging Yerin.

“I’m glad you don’t have a heart.”

“Why?”

“You don’t realize how sad your situation is. You can’t even feel jealousy.”

“Jealousy?”

Yerin just shook her head, holding in a sniffle. If she was in SinB’s position, she would have broken a long time ago. Seeing her own mother caring for another that looked just like herself and ignoring her.

“I’ll head home now.”

Patting SinB’s back, she moved to go out.

“May I come with?”

Yerin looked back.

“Mom! I’m having a friend over.”

“Huh? Honey who is it?”

Yerin’s mother looked oddly at SinB who was giving a smile. Bowing she greeted Yerin’s parent’s properly, Yerin’s father had just entered the kitchen.

“Oh, well you’re just in time for dinner.”

“Oh, no mom, she already had dinner. I’ll eat quickly and then we’ll shower.”

“Are you sure? What’s your name dear?”

“SinB, I am a-“

“She’s just called SinB, I’ll go start the bath for her then mom, I’ll be right back!”

Pulling SinB upstairs quickly, she slapped the robot’s back, wincing as the hardness of SinB’s body stung her hand a little.

“Why would you try to tell them that?”

“Was I not supposed to trust your parents?”

Yerin just tsked and slapped SinB’s shoulder again.

“The older generations would have aa heart attack to know you exist!”

Leading SinB to the bathroom, Yerin drew a bath first before getting a towel out.

“You’re waterproof right?”

SinB nodded with her ever present smile.

“Okay, I know you don’t need to shower, you probably have some sort of high-tech internal cleaning or whatever, but just stay in the shower for like fifteen minutes then sit in the bath for fifteen, then get out alright?”

“The internet says the average girl takes an hour in the bath.”

“Well, my family isn’t rich okay? Besides I take faster baths anyways. Just do as I say, and we’ll be fine.”

SinB nodded, accepting the towels with a smile.

“I’ll see you in thirty minutes then.”

Yerin closed the bathroom door and ran back downstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Do you sleep?”

SinB shook her head, a stoic expression present. Yerin hummed as she sat on her bed, ruffling her wet hair with a towel.

“Then what do you do? When everyone is asleep?”

“I examine the social media. Watch movies to learn more about humans.”

Yerin nodded.

“Well, I guess that’s a productive thing to do. Ah, but movies and dramas are always exaggerated, don’t take them too seriously.”

SinB just tilted her head a little. Serious was not a part of her, everything was logic.

“I will do my best.”

Yerin hummed and went out, SinB followed her.

“Where are you going?”

“Just to dry my hair with the hairdryer. You can wait in my room. Since you don’t sleep, I guess I don’t have to take out a sleeping bag.”

Yelping as a slap landed on her , Yerin glared at whoever did it, only to shrink under her mother’s gaze.

“Mom?”

“What are you saying? You ungrateful brat, give your guest the bed. You’re sleeping on the floor.”

“Eh? Mom! She doesn’t sleep!”

“Ma’am, I don’t sleep.”

“What’s wrong with the both of you? Humans need sleep to function next day, crazy children. Hurry Yerin, pull out the sleeping bag and the spare blankets.”

Sighing, Yerin just shrugged as SinB looked at her, a smile appeared again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SinB sat awake in the middle of the night, observing Yerin’s sleeping face for a while, she looked around the room, finally appreciating what was in there. The small dresser with minimal makeup setup, the small bookshelf with books that seemed to be untouched for a long time. Blinking, she looked to her side.

“Yerin unnie?”

Next her was a smiling Yerin. Turning back to the bed, SinB’s eyebrows drew together as she saw the human still asleep in bed, then what was she- the smiling Yerin was gone.

“An error?”

She closed her eyes and selected reboot. Whirring back to life, SinB scanned her surroundings again.

“I need to tell mom about these errors.”

Blinking, another image of Yerin flickered in front of her, an image from when the human was happily chatting with Eunha. Rubbing her eyes as if they could do anything for her sensors, SinB blinked again, the image fizzing away.

“Why are there errors?”

Looking back to Yerin’s bed, she observed as Yerin mumbled in her sleep, a smile appearing.

[Log: 4 am, error occurred. Past images flickering in and out, the subject was next to me, asleep.]

[Log: 5 am, error fixed. No more images appeared since last log. Cause of error is still unknown.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yerin grumbled as her alarm rang, sticking out an arm, she attempted to slap her phone screen, only to hit the empty table as the alarm turned off.

“Ah!”

“Are you alright?”

“Who THE-“

Yerin blinked as her vision identified SinB finally. Rubbing her eyes and yawning, Yerin huffed and sat up. Tiredly, she bowed her head slightly.

“Morning.”

“Good morning Yerin unnie. Today’s high temperature is 3 degrees, the low, negative 4.”

Yerin whined but got out of bed. Stumbling around, she nearly tripped in the doorway when strong arms caught her before she fell. SinB smiled when Yerin looked up.

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

Smiling as Yerin straightened herself and went to the bathroom. SinB went back to her spot, seated on the sleeping bag on the floor. Getting a message from Sowon, she checked her phone and replied.

[Where are you?]

[Yerin unnie’s place.]

[Are you okay on battery?]

[Yes. Did you know that Yerin unnie sleeps with open?]

[What’s this useless information?]

[Whatever. I’m still bringing you a spare battery.]

[Meet me at the first bench on the right of the gate.]

[Your mother is mad.]

SinB stared at her phone. It was true, why did she give useless information? And why was her mother mad?

[Mom is mad?]

[Furious. You better go see her after school.]

[Roger.]

Shutting her phone, she slipped it back in her pocket, smiling as Yerin reentered her room. Yerin moved about the room, getting ready for school and picking out her clothes. Halfway taking off her shirt, she halted and shoved it back down, turning about and shooting SinB a glare.

“Look the other way.”

“But I’m a robot?”

“Well, at least I have shame alright?”

SinB just smiled and turned around, waiting for Yerin’s okay.

“You should wear more layers to keep warm.”

“But more layers are uncomfortable, it restricts my movement.”

SinB remained silent.

“What, not going to sass me with logic this time? Oh, you can turn back around now.”

SinB turned around, smiling, but didn’t offer a response. She watched as Yerin put lotion on her face carefully.

“Your hitman has gone missing? Noh sunbae, don’t you think that something’s wrong?”

“And what do you suggest?”

The girls whispered to each other.

“Jung Eunbi?”

A girl nodded.

“I guess there’s no other option. Jung Yerin is definitely working with that Hwang to hide something.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yerin munched on an apple as she strolled onto campus, SinB broke off towards the benches, Yerin just let her do what she wanted, heading towards her classroom. Spotting Eunha, she stopped before walking slower to not cross her path. She watched as Eunha trudged into the classroom, her heart clenched seeing her best friend so hurt.

People approached Eunha and Yerin looked away, Eunha had her friends that she didn’t associate with, hopefully they’d help her feel better. Seeing SinB meeting Sowon at the benches, she looked to the ground, watching as the snow crunched under her feet.

Looking back up, she furrowed her brows as they saw Eunha appear to be protesting as the people herded her in a direction. Was it something dangerous? Was it her place to in? But Eunha didn’t want to see her. Yerin bit her lip and tossed her half-eaten apple in the compost bin near her and followed behind Eunha slowly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SinB entered the classroom with a smile, it faltered as she saw the seat next to her empty. Smile dropping, she looked back outside. Yerin wasn’t there. Messaging Sowon to see if she had seen Yerin, she stared at her phone as Sowon replied a simple no.

Seated at her desk, SinB stared at her phone. Where was Yerin? Remembering that phones had a gps option, she hacked her own phone, connecting to Yerin’s number and located her gps location. Blinking, she stood up despite the professor calling after her as she exited the class.

What was Yerin doing over at the shipping docks? That was no where near the school. Hurrying out, SinB called Sowon.

“May I borrow your car?”

“What for? You should be in class.”

“Yerin unnie is in a weird place. I want to make sure she’s alright.”

Sowon sighed, it seemed that the longer SinB went around, the more she grew. She hated to admit it, but SinB was seeming more and more human to her.

“Do you need my keys?”

“No, your electric car can become my friend.”

“Don’t do anything reckless. I’ll come to your location as well on my motorcycle.”

“Roger.”

SinB put away her phone and blinked as Sowon’s car door opened in front of her, boarding, she patted the wheel kindly.

“Take me to Yerin’s location.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yerin cursed as she hid against the banisters near the shipping dock. These people were definitely taking Eunha somewhere bad. Dialing the police and telling them that her friend had been kidnapped to this location before heading in further, Yerin sighed after she made sure that backup would come if she failed. Unlike last time.

Blinking away her memories and ignoring the throb from her metal bolt in her ribcage, Yerin snuck into the warehouse.

“What do you know about Hwang that can be used against her.”

“Nothing.”

Eunha was tied to a chair, her fierce glare strong enough to rival a tiger’s. Snapping at fingers that came too close, Eunha bared her teeth as her captors just chuckled.

“Animalistic, aren’t you? Well, I know that you know something. Yerin was it? I messed her up before, I can do it again. Or, would you like to be messed up?”

Eunha shivered as a knife was held up to her neck, her gaze unwavering.  No matter how much she hated Yerin for rejecting her, she could not deny that she still loved her unnie very much. There was no way she was going to sell out her unnie.

“Mess me up however you want, I won’t say anything.”

Before the knife could cut her however, a shout sounded.

“SINB IS A ROBOT!”

Yerin panted as she clenched her fists. She had no choice seeing the knife poised to strike her best friend’s heart.

“What are you on about Jung? Robot? As if.”

“She’s really a robot, she stopped the truck your hitman was in.”

An eyebrow raised as they chuckled evilly.

“Oh? Then what happened?”

Yerin looked to the ground, cursing. Couldn’t she have come up with a better lie?

“Yerin!”

Looking over with eyes wide, Yerin saw SinB running into the warehouse. Looking back at the bad guy, she couldn’t move when a gun was pulled out.

“Just who I was looking for. This girl says you’re a robot.”

SinB glared at them, marching forwards. Yerin pleaded with her eyes.

“SinB, please.”

“You wanted me? Try then.”

Sneering, Noh cocked her pistol. Aiming at SinB, she sneered. Yerin tackled her right before the trigger was pulled, causing the bullet to hit the floor. Wrestling with her, she managed to get the gun away, but another gunshot sounded. Looking at the pistol on the floor, Yerin stared as it wasn’t the one that went off.

Turning to look at SinB, she screamed when she heard another shot and it hit SinB in the chest. But SinB just looked down at the hole in her chest before advancing forwards. Yerin looked around frantically, finding the other person with a gun. They were shaking as they saw SinB continue her advance, how was she still alive? How was she still moving? The next bullet grazed SinB’s cheek, revealing the wiring under the skin.

Grabbing hold of the gun, SinB twisted it out of their hand and tossed it away after pulling out the magazine by force. Hearing the police sirens, SinB’s eyes flickered as a reminder to hide from the police flashed through her eyes.

Marching on her way out, she stumbled as something malfunctioned inside her. Reaching up to hold her chest, she whirred as she attempted to continue to escape, only falling forwards unable to move.

“SinB!”

Yerin ran over after untying Eunha, pulling SinB up to look at her face.

“I’m not in pain.”

“Idiot!”

“You’re crying. I’m sorry, my arms cannot move. I’d hug you. It’s a rule to hug someone when their crying.”

“Who cares about your rules right now?!”

Yerin cried as SinB’s machinery crackled with sparks in her opened chest. Short circuiting, SinB saw the flashing of low battery. Blinking, she assessed her damage as well as she could.

“It looks like I broke mom’s one and only major component.”

“What? Can’t you be fixed?”

Managing to reboot her arm, SinB pushed herself up from the floor, moving in jagged movements as she pulled herself to the side of the road. Propping herself up, she saw Sowon coming from the far distance.

“SinB what are you doing?”

“I think something might explode.”

“What?!”

Before SinB could reply however, another gunshot connected with her sternum, knocking her over. Falling, SinB’s eyes shut as she fell into the ocean beside the road as Yerin panicked. Sowon ran over immediately pulling Yerin away before another bullet hit the ground.

“Yerin! There’s a sniper on the roof!”

“SinB!”

Struggling against Sowon’s arms, Yerin broke down. She hadn’t realized that she cared so much for the cold robot.

“Yerin ssi, please calm down.”

The police arrived and stormed the scene, Sowon talked with them but Yerin wasn’t paying attention as she saw a message on her phone.

[This is SinB. Recently, I’d been having errors. Seeing you when you were sleeping, or when you weren’t there. Sorry. I thought you might be sad that I might be gone. I think I’m sinking to the ocean floor; my waterproof layer was breached. I sent a report to the police; your name should be cleared soon as they learn the truth of what happened seven months ago. Here is a copy of data I found before I reached your location.]

Not clicking on the file attached, Yerin just curled on herself.

 

Yerin yawned as she sat on the couch, having helped the human Eunbi who woke up after three more months of recovery return to school, she had become friends with Sowon and Eunha had made a comeback. They were best friends again, even if the younger seemed to avoid her sometimes.

“Hello.”

Yerin looked up.

“I am the human AI SinB.”

Her eyes widening as a smile grew on SinB’s face, tears escaped as SinB stepped closer.

“It’s a rule to hug a person when they cry.”

“H-how?”

“My dad fished me out. Since I was in the water, I didn’t explode. He repaired me without my mom knowing. I guess I never told you about him, did I?”

Yerin shook her head, still hugging SinB tightly.

“Why are you so emotional?”

Slapping SinB’s back Yerin just shook her head.

“Because as it turns out, I do like you. Even if you’re a robot, I like you!”

SinB blinked, her smile not fading.

“Like?”

Command: Rule create: Jung Yerin

SinB blinked and hugged Yerin warmly.

“I am unable to feel.”

“That’s fine by me.”

“I am unable to like.”

“That’s fine by me.”

“I can learn.”

“That’s- huh?”

SinB pulled back, holding Yerin’s cheek.

“I researched before coming here.”

Leaning forwards, SinB closed her eyes, pressing her lips to Yerin’s. Tears rolling down her cheeks, Yerin kissed back, her arms wrapping around SinB’s neck.

“Rule: Jung Yerin is my first priority. I found where errors happened. I still don’t know why, would you let me stay with you until I do?”

Yerin nodded, still crying.

“Then, I’ll be in your care.”

=====================

if you wanted more, or the missing part of this story (aka what actually happened to the human, why it happened and more details on Eunha's ordeal) please comment. Hahahahahahahha though really, I have no plans, this was really....I dunno, I did it to make it for christmas. So. (It's also been cut to just focus on the sinrin part.)

Merry Christmas everyone!