The Warm Ice

Impulse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been already three days. The boundary between Lightning and Ice City is very huge. Every train needed four days to travel but the weather was great so it became a lot faster. 

For the past few days, peace has dominated the place. Everything was working smoothly and without problems. Blessed and Chen kept their hoods on to prevent people from noticing. And it's effective, seemed like no one knew what happened in the isolated island. There was no single piece of information came out from the Lightning City's government. The officials and knight guards kept their silence about it. But it's not like that citizens didn't knew it, they were even shocked. People living there suddenly disappeared without a trace. Not even a stray of their ashes or footprints were left. 

Blessed wondered what really happened to those people. She was worried on them, especially on Suzy. She hoped for their safety, she prayed for them every night. Chen was having a pinch of guilt inside. If only those assassins didn't attacked them first, he wouldn't burn the whole island. Slowly, he is starting to hate himself. He knew that he made her upset because of it, he didn't control his anger. But seeing them laying their filthy hands on her, he couldn't help but to protect her. He was not obligated to stay by her side, but he knew that this is the ultimate purpose why he was alive. If she didn't came, maybe he was already dead now. He was thankful and he made a promise to her. A promise that he will never leave her, whatever it takes and no matter what happens. 

Chen woke up from a long and beautiful dream. It was about his past, those memories that were full of happiness. The moment that be became a mage, the moment that he made his parents smile. His heart was fluttering as he rubbed his eyes with his hands. As he looked at his right side, he saw Blessed. She was quietly watching the terrain from the thick glass window. He could see her reflection there, her child-like eyes, her rose lips. She was so small, she was a lot pale than yesterday. Her long brown hair was laid down on her shoulders. She noticed and looked at him. But instead of greeting him, she rolled her eyes and leaned on the wall. Oh, she's still upset and not comfortable. She still couldn't forget that he he almost kissed her. She's still drawing some boundary from him. He just shook his head and shrugged.

It's only few kilometers away, and they are getting there. Finally after several months, she will be seeing this friend again. Blessed was excited, she couldn't wait to be with him again. She misses his round and fluffy cheeks, he was cutest human that she met in her life. Few hours, few hours, she wished that time would run faster. 

Blessed just kept sleeping for three days since the train they were aboard departed. Chen tried to wake her up when it's mealtime but she was always ignoring him. All that she's doing is to sleep and sleep. Day and night. like hibernating. If she was getting hungry, she would eat all by herself. Now, she felt awkward whenever he is looking into her eyes. The fact that one of her guardians had feelings for her, she don't want it to be developed. She doesn't want to hurt him, but she thought that this might be the best thing to avoid herself.  

For three consecutive days, he's been eating all alone. Staring at the window and checking their belongings alone. Always alone and all by himself. He tried to talk to her but every time he touches her shoulder, she was giving him a gross look. She never spoke to him since the day he was about to kiss her. Chen felt distant, he could see the invisible line that she drew. He knew that it was his fault. He wanted to apologize but it doesn't look like that she will listen and understand him. He was just a man, a human that got tempted by her rare beauty.

Blessed kept a gap between their seats. 

If only he controlled himself, maybe nothing will change. Maybe they were still close to each other, maybe he will be seeing her bright smiles for him. But he was too late to realize it, everything suddenly turned different.

 

Few hours passed, the train's bell rang. They have finally arrived at their destination. People began collecting their belonging and stepping out of the train. Chen didn't stood up and waited for her to open her eyes. Seconds have passed, blessed woke up from the normal noises. He fixed her hood and rose up. She looked at him and nodded. He stood up and followed her. He grabbed their small baggage before going out of the transit. Her legs were still recovering but gladly she can walk properly. 

She took the bag from Chen and began walking through the halls of the station. She was just facing the way straight, she never looked back at him. He sighed and followed her steps. He was slightly glad that she glanced at him. He knew that her anger is fading away, but slowly. 

Chen noticed the layers of snow in the streets, he was certain that it was summer. He was surprised to learn that this country was not shifting into any season. He realized that it was forever winter in the Ice City. The reigning king her is sure strong and kind towards his people, he thought. It was getting colder, his skin was shivering the cool air.

They kept walking until they reached the main town of the place. A smile appeared on her lips, her heart was racing in excitement. She paused in the middle of the busy streets and took off her hood. Chen's eyes grew wide, he shook his head and went towards her. He grabbed her arm and they began running like someone was after. Blessed looked at him with an expression of confusion, her eyebrows furrowed into it. Several people noticed them and followed them with their eyes. He didn't stopped until he found a hiding place. It was a strait abandoned street. Tons of snow were stuck at the dark brick walls of the building. 

Blessed shoved his hand away and took a few steps away from him. She just looked at him. Chen breathed deeply and placed his hands on his waist.

"Why did you took off your hood?" he scolded her, an expression of anger was seen on his face. Blessed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter