Stay Calm

Jealousy Overload

YEJIN'S POV:

Staying calm was important. No matter how truly scared I was, I knew I had to stay calm. Just because we were all here, in Chinji's car, cramped into a 4 seater, with 5 people.

Taking in deep breaths I focused on the road ahead of me to the hospital.

"OMYGOSH. YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. CHINJI DRIVE FASTER!!" Chaeri was screaming from the back seat. Her grip on my headrest did not help at all.

"I can't! If you think driving 87 miles per hour isn't fast, then how about you drive and get yourself killed. You'll be the one in the hospital instead." Chinji growled back maintaining her cool for my sake. "Now if you don't mind I would like to drive in peace."

 

Chaeri stopped talking after that.

"Why did you wait this long to finally get the damn surgery?!" Ahmi blew her cool. It was only a matter of time. She was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. She was usually the quiet one. Ever since she returned from her trip with Junhong, she seemed lighter, more energetic. But now.. It seemed nice to hear her express her concern for me.

And yet, no matter how much I feared the possibility to have to go through with the surgery on such short notice, I remained calm.

"I never said I was going to get the damn surgery alright?" I gritted my teeth together. I truly couldn't feel anything. And the thought or even the mention of the surgery made my insides churn with anxiety and pressure.

"Oh no you don't. Nuh uh. You can't stop me from forcing you to get the damn surgery. If strapping you down to the hospital bed is what it takes, then so be it." Chinji gripped the wheel while keeping her focus on the road ahead.

I stayed quiet, and so did everyone else. If you tried to argue with Chinji after she makes up her mind, it would be impossible to try and convince her otherwise.

As we entered the hospital, we all rushed out of the parking space and made our grand entrance to the lobby. We got lucky in the sense that there weren't many patients lurking around. It was virtually empty to say the least. 

We rushed to the front desk, panting.

"How can I help you?" Her monotonous voice irked me. Is this the way they're taught to respond to patients in need of help?! Patients who could potentially be paralyzed?! 

The thoughts of the consequences that would follow a paralyzed arm struck me hard. The possibility of never being able to dance again, hurt like hell. The possibility I couldn't hold a violin for the rest of my life. The possibility that all the schooling I've gone through to be a pharmacist, down the drain? Horrifying. But worst of all... The fact that I couldn't drive my baby Gallardo.

I shook the thought off knowing the headache that would follow would hurt just as much.

When the receptionist lifted her head from boredly staring at the computer screen in front of her, her eyes widened in surprise. Her jaw dropped and for a moment, I wasn't sure if we had turned her to stone or what? She seemed to take awhile to process the moment. She was young. Probably new to the job, fresh out of college, barely a few years older than us at most.

"B-Baek Chinji... Kim Ahmi.. Park Yejin... Jung Eunbae... Im Chaeri... BWOH-HAE?!?" She blinked a few times.

"Excuse me! We kinda need help here?!" Chaeri shouted. Her pitch increasing with each word.

"Could you please call down Dr. Choi for me please?" I calmly requested for the doctor currently in charge of my situation.

"Uh.. Y-Yeah, sure.." She still seemed flustered as she picked up the phone, calling for my doctor.

"Dr. Choi said to go ahead to his office."

The 5 of us speed walked to the nearest elevator, the receptionist still looking at us in a daze. She swiftly took out her phone and from the corner of my eye I could tell that she had taken a picture, before the elevator doors closed.

"Someone please call Xiumin over here. Tell him which room I'm in and to wait out with you guys."

"We're going in there with you!" Eunbae protested.

"No, you can't, I'll handle it on my own."

"You're surprisingly calm for someone who could be paralyzed from their shoulder down for eternity." Chaeri emphasized her words as if to try and irritate me and get a reaction.

Even in this situation, she still had to add in her smug comments. How bemusing.

"Well, then I'm off." I left them as soon as the elevator doors opened.

Rushing past nurses who looked at me like I was crazy. And I wouldn't blame them.. I mean it's not everyday they get to see a girl running down a hallway with a paralyzed arm hanging limp on her side. I probably looked like a freak.

I knocked on the door of Dr. Choi, and he opened the door after the first few.

"Yejin, what's going on?? Is it hurting at all?"

I was good friends with my Doctor, probably cause I used to come here for check ups all the time, we were like best friends.

He was middle aged, possibly younger than that and utterly handsome in my eyes.

UGH. Choi Jin Hyuk. WAEEE.?!

"Hurting? Nope.. Not at all." I panted, shaking my head.

He gave me a puzzled look, confused, and curious. He raised an eyebrow as if expecting an answer for his unspoken question.

"That's the thing.. I can't feel anything." I tried moving my arm for him, and again, it wasn't listening to my brain.

I swiveled my body until my arm hit the door, hard enough to cause a bruise.... But nothing.

I shrugged, "I can't feel it." 

He noticed the slight hints of panic in my eyes and ushered me into the room.

 

 

 

 

"Xiumin! Where the hell do you think you're going?!" Kris's voice boomed in the dorm. The boys were laying around lazily with nothing to do for the day. Everyone either playing video games, chatting, taking a drink, or cooking for dinner (*ahem* Kyungsoo *ahem*).

Xiumin came running out in a panic from his room. Frantic, he simply grabbed the keys to Kris's car, a jacket, and his wallet before dashing for the door.

"Sorry Kris, I really need to borrow your car, I'll- I'll explain later." He sighed thinking about what the others would say if they knew what was going on.

As soon as he got the panicked call from Chinji, his instincts reacted much faster than his own brain which still couldn't process what he had heard.

Yejin? Paralyzed? No.

He shook the thought and ran out of the dorm in lightning speed.

"Don't you dare scratch my baby!" Kris's voice echoed in the hallway as Xiumin dashed to the parking garage, racing out of the compound, straight to the hospital.

 

 

 

I laid flat on my back, already dressed in a hospital gown, on the inside. I was placed into a massive machine that would provide me with a CT scan of what exactly was going on.

I knew the procedure well, having to go through this for the 3rd time in my life.

Laying still for a good 3 minutes wasn't hard considering the fact that I couldn't move my arm in the first place.

The bed slowly released me and moved out of the X-Ray machine. I pushed myself up with one arm and sat down, waiting for Dr. Choi to let me know the results.

He came in, his face contorted in worry.

Suddenly, I wasn't as calm as I thought I was.

"Well..." He began.

I chewed my lip in anxiety, "Well??"

"It's only temporary paralysis." He handed me the X-Ray results, knowing I could identify everything I needed to know without an explanation.

I looked carefully. The glass shard visible, embedded in my arm.

"It grazed a nerve." My eyebrows furrowed.

"A very important nerve Yejin. That's your median nerve. It's cutting into the nerve. It barely cut it. The shard has already moved.. Probably from when you smacked your arm, stupidly into the door."

I chuckled bitterly, "Guess I fixed that problem."

"No. You temporarily fixed it. If it happens again, you may really be paralyzed. You won't feel your arm ever again. If that shard cuts into your nerve-"

"That's it. I know." I avoided his gaze knowing what was coming next.

"You need that surgery Yejin. I've never held off this long on a patient as stubborn as you. Giving you medication wasn't going to help and I knew that those meds alone, wouldn't last long. I sent you on a suicide route. I already told you, you needed this surgery, but you said no. I can't do anything to help you without your permission. And now, I'm afraid that my uninvolvement, may cause you your arm forever. I should've just forced you."

I stayed silent taking in his words. Now the thoughts that I had been holding back were evading my mind.

"The chances of success in this surgery may be slimmer than before now that it's so close to your nerve. There's a possibility I might end up cutting that nerve if I'm not careful."

"Then you'll be careful right?" I finally spoke up giving him my best efforts of a smile in this situation.

A grin started to form, "So you'll go through with it?! You'll get the surgery?!"

I nodded slowly, and he hugged me so tight, I thought my eyeballs would pop out.

"Ouch." I grumbled.

My eyes widened, and a smile crept up my face.

"Ouch.." I said again, but in a happier tone.

Slowly but surely, I tried to grip my left hand, and surprisingly, it did.

"Like I said, temporary." Dr. Choi smiled again and backed away from me.

I tried moving my whole arm this time and it did.

My smile was growing wider by the second.

"Alright alright, I know how fascinating it is to be able to move your arm, but I need to schedule a day for your surgery."

I rolled my eyes playfully, "How about-"

"How is she?!" Xiumin broke the door down, (not literally), and rushed into the room.

I was taken by surprise by his sudden appearance, but never the less, thankful.

"She's fine. It was temporary paralysis and she can move her arm just fine now." Dr. Choi answered him with a bright smile, his calm composure and friendliness radiating in the room.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again." Xiumin lectured me and gave me a relieving hug.

Chinji entered the room afterwards, followed by Ahmi, Eunbae, Chaeri, and my manager.

"When can she get the surgery?" Chinji bluntly asked.

Wow, way to make an entrance.

"Sometime next week, depending on your schedule."

My manager quickly took out his phone and called a number.

"Neh, hwejangnim, we have an emergency at the hospital, Park Yejin is in need of surgery and I request that KlassiQ's schedule be cleared for the next two weeks.... Neh... Neh, they will report to your office first thing tomorrow. Kamsahamnida." My manager bowed slightly, even though Sooman hwejangnim couldn't even see.

"Well, they're free for the next few weeks, she can have the surgery any time next week." My manager spoke to Dr. Choi politely.

"Oppa, why two weeks?" I whined immediately, "We have a showcase in Japan next week!"

"He said EXO would replace your performance."

Xiumin grumbled incoherently, and it made everyone in the room chuckle.

"Why two weeks?" Chinji asked, curious, just as everyone else was.

"Why not?" Manager oppa winked at the four of us and we all cheered at the same time.

More free time?! Hell yeah.

"How about one week from today, so... next Wednesday?" Dr. Choi took out a clipboard and scribbled something down on the piece of paper and handed it to me.

"Bed rest until then, so no dancing, or moving, or anything, until then got it?"

I groaned, "Oppa! Even know I don't need bed rest for this surgery."

"Nuh Uh! Doctor's orders!" He smiled evilly and I grimaced knowing I had to listen either way.

"Ugh finally! You listen to him but not me?!" Chinji rolled her eyes before she froze.

"It's Wednesday..." She mumbled, but I heard her loud and clear and I looked at her directly in the eye.

"You need to go don't you?" I asked without my expression faltering.

She checked her watch and looked at me apologetically again, "It's already 6.. I really need to go."

She slowly backed away towards the door before turning around and running.

Until this day, I still have no idea what she does on Wednesdays, but I had a feeling and it made my insides churn in anger.

She's messing around with someone again. Another hidden agenda I don't know about.

It made me furious thinking she still hadn't changed her old habits. Is she just playing with Luhan? I needed an answer because I knew just how much Luhan truly liked her. It would crush him to know who she really is. She was being unfair to him. Cruel. And Unfair.

I was determined to find out, because during these days, she would disappear Wednesday nights, and come back Thursday afternoon, distressed, tired, and lifeless. She would sleep it off overnight and be completely fine on Friday. I never knew what was going on, and I didn't want to ask knowing that it was probably a touchy subject. I wouldn't pressure her into telling just cause I knew she would tell me when she was ready.

But now, it didn't matter.

A beeping sound that came from Chaeri, Eunbae, Ahmi, and my phone, broke my train of thought.

We all opened the notifications to our SNS messages and the happy mood was drained out of all of us.

Eunbae smacked her face, sliding her palm down her cheek. Ahmi's shoulders deflated. Chaeri looked crestfallen. And I became distressed.

"What? What is it?" Manager oppa curiously asked.

"The receptionist girl at the front desk... She's a sasaeng. We should've been more careful." Eunbae groaned.

"I should've known, and now.." Chaeri sighed.

"And now what?" Manager oppa was growing ansty.

"She posted a picture of us entering the hospital elevator... People know one of us is injured." I tilted my head back and let the fact sink in.

"The news is spreading like wildfire.. It's on your fanpage and your entire fanbase is blowing up." Xiumin was also on his phone, a look of concern spread throughout.

"Ugh oh... We have company..." Dr. Choi spoke up from his window as he peered down below to the street.

We crowded around the window and saw the whole of Seoul crowding the lobby and street.

It wasn't a very good idea to peer down from a panoramic window.

A reporter spotted us and immediately snapped a photo from below. Soon enough more flashes burned my eyelids as I closed my eyes from the bolt of lightning from below. Other reporters caught on.

We all moved away from the window and Dr. Choi closed the blinds immediately.

"Well... How do you supposed we get out of here?" I asked Dr. Choi and we stood in silence before he spoke up, and devious smirk on his face.

"I think I know."

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________

A/N:

YAY. UPDAAAATTTTEE.

OMG. I can't express the happiness I feel. To all my subbies, I just have to say thank you for supporting this and to all my new subbies, WELCOME!

I can't express how thankful I am for all of you.

And like I said, this fic is coming to a close soon, and I'll be putting up my new fic! It'll be super exciting and I hope you all support it just as much as this one!

 

On a more bitter note.... I don't know what to feel about Kris's departure... It's all a mixed jumble of emotions that I can't really express in words just cause it's really sad... :/

But anyway... UGH CHOI JIN HYUK is a HUNK.<3<3 if you don't know who he is... he's Tan's brother in Heirs and ugh. He is so gorg<3 lol

 

WELLLL SEE YOU ALL NEXT TIME<3