Happy Birthday Baek! Part 1

Jealousy Overload

A summer, a winter, a Christmas, a Gayo Daejun, and your birthday had passed since the turmoil and Baek's return and your debut.

And yet, it seemed like none of the drama had passed. All this time and yet, no one chose to let go of the subject. 

Just a few weeks ago, you ran into another disaster at your interview with some surprise guests. And at every concert, you could spot those few posters in the sea of fans with things like:

"BAEKHYUN AND YEJIN FOREVER<3<3" written in massive letters for everyone to see.

It was just a rumor with no proven evidence other than encounters with each other, but it seemed like everyone was quick to assume your relationship no matter how real or a lie it was. But of course, you had your anti's. The ones who shipped Taeyeon and Baekhyun. They would show up at your concerts to, and sometimes starting fights with your own fans. It was chaotic, and you couldn't help but think it was all your fault.

 

And now it was May.. May 5th to be exact. One day before Baekhyun's birthday.

You were well aware of the occasion, and your heart stirred at the memories you suppressed with much effort.

You had no schedules for the day or the past week. It was just a bunch of training, and practicing that mainly occupied your time.

You had even had the time to go to school each day and leave when it ended instead of cutting class halfway through the day.

You had a lot to catch up on that was for sure, and your teachers missed you, but you knew you could do it.

You even kinda missed hearing Himchan kicking at the back of your seat in class each day. But only kind of.

But you were back on your regular routine. It was like the training years all over again.

 

During your day at school, you contemplated what present would be proper for Baek. You thought that giving him a present on his birthday was still appropriate, considering that you were just friends after all. Nothing more. Nothing less. You did owe it to him to some extent.

There was still a familiar pang in your chest, but it was no longer unbearable.

You sat by your table with the others who were already lost in their own conversations with each other. 

Ahmi was finally back, telling tales of her adventure with Zelo for the past two weeks.

It was sweet since the two were finally able to reconnect after so long. Things were looking bright for everyone at the table.

Eunbae had been sponsored by several companies to become their model for advertisements. Chaeri had been offered a role in a new and upcoming drama. Chinji was finally thinking about settling down with Luhan and the two were getting along pretty great.

You on the other hand, you were neutral. Nothing bad, nothing good either.

While everyone else was listening to Ahmi's stories. You still had yet to find a proper present.

Until someone decided to plop into the chair next to you.

Namely Kai.

"Oh? Since when did you ever sit with me during lunch?" You raised an eyebrow at his suspicious behavior.

"Since everyone knows how close we are, why not?" He smirked lightly knowing it would tick you off, and it worked.

"Ugh. I blame Tao. It's his fault that everyone knows."

"Oh come on, you and Baek aren't together anymore, you get along fine with Kris, Lay, and Luhan, so what's stopping you?"

"True, true. I guess I was just.. I don't even know. But you're right. Why can't you sit with me?" You chuckled while going back to your thoughts.

"What are you thinking of?"

"Hmmm, what does Baek want for his birthday?"

"Are you two on speaking terms??" Kai whispered into your ear with eyebrows furrowed.

"Well, to be honest.. I guess we are, but we never actually start a conversation.. It's just awkward now.. He's always with Taeyeon.. and we don't exactly get along either." You shrugged simply.

"Don't exactly get along? I thought she was your favorite??" Kai turned his head to one side and eyed you with a strange expression. "Did something happen?"

"W-What do you m-mean??"

"Does she know?!"

"Know about w-what?"

"That you were with hyung before her!" He suddenly screamed a little too loud.

"Shhhhht!" You clamped a hand over his loud mouth and scowled.

But you grew quiet afterwards, and that was enough to give him your answer.

"She knows!!" He whispered.

You nodded your head slowly.

"What? Did she threaten you or something??"

"I don't want to talk about it.."

"Is that the only reason that you don't like her? Or is it something else? Like... jealousy?"

"W-What?!"

"Anniya anniya! Don't answer that! I don't want to know.." Kai gave you an awkward smile. "Forget I even asked!"

Suddenly he grabbed you by your wrist and dragged you away from your table. You scrambled for your book bag just in time before waving a quick goodbye to your friends who just gave you a questioning look to which you had no response. You didn't even know where you were being taken.

"Where are we going?? Heyy, slow down!" You pleaded, as Kai kept a firm grip on your wrist.

"I know the perfect present for hyung! Just don't tell him I helped you out!"

"Wait! We still have 2 more periods to go!"

"Kwenchana!! Come on, we're gone for like half the year, what's two periods going to change??"

"How do you plan on getting to wherever we're going?"

"You drive!~"

"Ugh. I was hoping you wouldn't say that.."

"Do you want me to drive??" He gave you a cheeky grin, and that mischievous glint in his eye was there.

"OHHH NOOO NOO NOO. Do you remember the last time you drove a golf cart? You had to pay for the damages. And there's no way you are ruining my baby." You shook your head furiously before walking on ahead of him to the parking lot.

"That's what I thought..." He muttered to himself, chasing after you.

 

After leaving the grounds of the school, you turned to Jongin realizing you had no clue as to where you were going. 

"To where?"

"Home."

"Ehh?" You slightly turned your head to him, confused.

"Your house."

"Wae??"

"I'll show you when you get there.."

"O-Okay?"

You reluctantly drove back to your old house and as soon as you pulled up into the driveway, you smiled to yourself.

"I haven't been here in almost a year.."

You walked up the steps of your house and took out the key to the front door, easing it into the keyhole and turning it so that the door clicked open.

You walked in and took a deep breath.

"Eww, it's dusty in here..." You scowled thinking about all the dust and dirt that must have collected over time. 

You walked through the rooms on your side and smiled running your hands along the furniture and tables.

"Hey come here." You grabbed Kai's wrist and took him to your study. You closed the door behind you and smiled.

Kai smiled knowingly and helped you push the furniture into the closet.

You pressed the familiar button and BAM!

There was your dance room.

You blasted an EXO song, knowing most of their choreographies by heart.

The two of your enjoyed your time together. Dancing like there was no tomorrow, and you could honestly say that you missed playing around with Jongin. Your times together were priceless and especially if it involved dancing. That one thing you had in common with him connected you two and reminded you the reason why you two were best friends to begin with.

The two of you were already panting. You grabbed a near by water bottle and towel, and handed them to Jongin.

"I completely forgot the reason why we came here! What was it that you needed in here??"

"Hyung's present is in here, but I don't mind passing time like this either!" He chuckled with you, but then you turned a curious eye to him.

"His present is here? What do you mean??"

"Before I say anything, I need to admit something." Kai's expression turned serious.

"What is it?"

"I... think I like Chaeri."

You spat your water out at his statement.

"You what?!"

"Yeah.. I think I like her. I mean.. People say she's a , and a flirt, but there's something about her that just.. gets me."

"No offense, but you kinda chose a hard target.." You chuckled lightly.

"Oh come on, you know I can get any girl I want, even if it's Chaeri." Kai smirked to himself.

You rolled your eyes and offered him a hand to get up.

"Now what is it that's in here that could possibly be his present.?"

Kai bit his lip trying to hold back a smile.

"Cmon." He pulled you up the stairs and into your room.

"You know, I never knew why you liked gray so much." He shook his head looking at how dark and dreary it was in your room.

"I just do. Now can we get back to your point?"

"Oh yeah!" He turned to the cork board on your wall, that remained empty.

"Ehhhh??!!! Where's all the pictures you had before??" His previous smile quickly turning into disappointment.

"I tossed them in the trash over there. Why?" You pointed at the bin that still contained all the pictures you had meant to toss but you had forgotten to take out the bin from your room.. Or did you?

Kai scurried to the bin and quickly dug out a handful of the pictures.

"This is his present!"

"What are you talking about? Have you gone insane?" You shook you head in disbelief.

"Insane, maybe. But I also have something else to admit. Just don't hate me for saying it."

"What?" You sat on your bed and patted on the space beside you.

Kai obediently followed.

"I believe him somewhat... I think he's telling the truth."

You cocked your head, still not quite understanding.

"You would think that after almost a year, he would've gotten over you, since he already has Taeyeon and all."

You smile was slowly starting to fade.

"But he hasn't! I'm telling you! I didn't believe him at first either! I was actually the last one to be okay with him. I just couldn't let go of the fact that he hurt you and-.. that's not the point but. I think he was telling the truth. He's getting worse. He's blanking out a lot. And not as lively. He's like a zombie or a robot. All he ever does is wake up. work. and sleep. That's it. There's no spirit. The more time passes as you're getting over him, he's just getting worse."

"And your point?" Your tone was bitter and cold.

"I think he's being black-mailed, by Taeyeon. I mean, you said it yourself! She threatened you! That must mean something, and the fact that he doesn't smile often when he's with her. It's like he's just there, standing next to her, but it isn't him. Do you get me?"

"Kind of.. but I don't see how old pictures of us are going to change anything. And besides, that's a pretty crazy accusation for Taeyeon, I mean I can understand that she's a , but there's nothing she can use to blackmail him."

"Maybe if he sees these pictures, he'll finally come back to his senses, and maybe he'll tell us the truth of what's really going on. And it's a crazy accusation, but I just have a gut feeling about this."

"I don't think it'll work." You stood up on your feet looking straight ahead of you with a blank expression.

"Well I do." Kai got up and looked directly at you.

"I don't want to do this."

"And why not?!"

"This isn't how it's supposed to be! I'm supposed to be getting over him! Forgetting about him, and here your telling me to dig up all my old memories with him and for what? For him to maybe tell us the truth??" You looked at him angrily.

"It'll work. I know it."

"It's not worth all the time and effort I've put into forgetting him. It's like I'm reliving the betrayal all over again, and all this time would be for nothing. I'm not doing it." You shook your head before storming out of the room.

"But I know it'll work...." Kai sighed, but tucked the photos into his backpack anyway.

"Kai get down here!! WE'RE LEAVING. NOW." You screamed from downstairs.

"Coming!!" Kai yelled from upstairs. He had a plan, and he knew it had to work. No matter what. This could be his last chance after all.

You weren't exactly mad at Kai, but you were just barely getting over him. You could feel how close you were to forgetting it. And you were only doing so for his sake. So maybe he would stop begging you and start accepting Taeyeon. You could tell clearly that he wasn't himself around her, but you were willing to let him reciprocate her feelings towards her for the sake of you friendship. It had to be done. And bringing back old photos of you two and trying to get you two together, was definitely not going to get you, Baek, or Taeyeon on friendly terms.

 

You and Kai drove back to the dorms after a long day, but stopping by for some ice cream along the way.

With the ice cream in one hand, and your other hand on the wheel, you were heading back. You could never be too mad at Kai anyway. He was your best friend, and you knew he only said those things out of good intentions.

"Never bring that idea up alright? I still have to go look for a proper present for him tomorrow, and I might not even be able to with the time I have... if I don't have a present by tomorrow. This is your fault. Okay?"  You chuckled lightly while a bit of melted ice cream off the cone.

"Alright alright, I'll take the heat for this one." Jongin laughed alongside of you. "Hey! Eating and driving should be illegal you know." He smirked while watching you discretely snacking while keeping your eyes on the road.

"Well yeah? It's not! And if it is, then ice cream is an exception."

"Oh? Since when did you ever bend the rules?"

You expression wavered slightly, cause you knew exactly what he meant.

"Well, as a matter of fact, I haven't talked to you as much lately since you're so busy, but I reconciled with my family, I guess you can say."

"Well that's great then right?"

"Yeah, more than great actually. We need to hang more, it was fun." You smiled while pulling up to the parking lot and shutting off the car.

On your way up to your floor, you were laughing with Kai and realized you two were no longer alone in the lobby.

You looked up from your momentary joke to see Taeyeon standing idly looking at you two from the elevator door.

She had that fake smile, which wiped the genuine smile from your face. You were already feeling the bad vibes from her, and you knew this encounter was going nowhere good.

"Kai... Yejin.." She said both your names, Kai in a more pleasant tone, than yours.

"Ahh, Sunbae..." Kai bowed politely, and the second he noticed that you weren't doing the same, he tugged on the side of your shirt and forced you to smugly bow in the same manner. You rolled your eyes secretly, but Kai silently whispered in your ear.

"Play nice."

"Yeah, yeah." You shook your head before lifting your head and smiling sweetly at Taeyeon, giving her an equally fake act as she was doing to you.

"Sunbae, nice to uhm bump into you today huh?" It was like spitting venom on a snake. Useless.

"Yeah, always a pleasure seeing you around, Yejin."

"The pleasure is mine." You gritted your teeth within your mouth but on the outside you were still smiling.

Kai could feel the tension, and at this point, he felt a little helpless as to what he should do in such a situation.

"So, Taeyeon-sunbaenim, uhm, what brings you to approach us?" Kai hesitantly asked.

"Oh Yes!" She fished into her purse and came out with 2 invitations in her hand.

"They're invitations to Baekhyun's birthday party tomorrow, I only made so many invitations, so I assume you two will pass on the message to the rest of your members won't you?"

You and Kai reluctantly took the invitations, and you bitterly smiled at her.

"Of c-course I will.." You looked at the neatly printed letters and fine quality of the envelope, and felt a pinch on your heart strings.

"Thanks sunbae." Kai bowed again, and you followed suit no matter how much you hated to.

"No problem! I'll see you two tomorrow?" She walked backwards to the lobby doors, past you and Kai while expecting a reply.

"Yeah.." The two of you said with much difficulty.

"Great!" She chirped while running out the door.

"I said play nice right?" Kai muttered and nudged you lightly.

"Yeah, well she started it." You grumpily crossed your arms while walking to the elevator.

"Hah, we're the same age, and yet it's moments like this that I absolutely adore because for once I get to call you the child and not the other way around." he smirked while following you into the elevator before the doors closed.

"Well savor the moment. You still owe me a present for Baek. You'll be waking up bright and early tomorrow. We'll be looking for Baek's present, my dress, my shoes, a new purse, and an entirely new outfit so I can look even better than Taeyeon." You smirked lightly.

"Oh? Since when we're you becoming so evil, and it looks like you've been taking after my smirk now?" He looked at you with his signature smirk and the two of your filled the elevator with your laughter.

"Yeah, well you're my personal slave tomorrow morning, and until the party starts, you're all mine."

"And what exactly do I get our of this?"

"Hmmmm... I'll pay for your new tux."

"You realize that anywhere me and EXO goes, we always match as long as it's an event. So in other words, you pay for my tux, and you pay for 10 others."

"10?"

The elevator doors opened to your floor, and Jongin walked you to your door in the long hallway.

"Yeah, well I'm sure birthday boy can manage without your help."

"Awwww, cmon Jongin, I don't want to spoil only 11 of you and leave him out of it! It's like torturing him on his birthday!"

"Yeah, well that's what he gets for replacing my best friend."

"Awwwww." You smiled as you reached your door. You turned to him and offered him a huge bear hug.

"Ewwww, Park Yejin is showing emotion! Today seems like my lucky day!"

"Ugh." You playfully slapped his shoulder when the door behind you suddenly flung open.

"Kai!" Chaeri stood at the door with a huge grin on her face as she saw the two of you.

"Well, I guess you were right, you don't really have to try after all." You directed the comment to Jongin's ear and smiled goofily when all he did was chuckle to himself.

Chaeri seemed to be in a daze and when you realized that the moment had been dragging on for too long, you rolled your eyes lightly before entering the door while grabbing her arm and pulling her back in.

"Bye Jongin~" You playfully cooed while shutting the door. You caught a glimpse of him smirking to himself again.

"B-Bye Kai!~" Chaeri called out.

"Bye Chae." Was his last words before the door shut.

"He.. He called me Chae..." Chaeri giggled to herself while you on the other hand, stuck a finger down your throat and pretended to gag.

"That's gross."

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________
A/N:

AND I AM BAAACK<3<3

Hope you liked the chappie.

Just a heads up, there's only about 10 more chapters to go before this story is finished, but no worries, I have a new one coming along and it'll be a surprise till then! LOOK FORWARD TO IT! 

Can anyone guess who my next fic will be about?? ^^

THANKS FOR READING! LEAVE SOME COMMENTS WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!<3<3