Three.

Tracing To You.

"Unnie-ah," Min Jae start to wake me from my slumber with her pouts and aegyos, "Let's go shopping!" 

 

"Ani~" I pulled the sheets higher and glanced at the clock at the bedside table in our hotel room. I immediately shot up and blinked my eyes a couple of times before finally bursting out of the bed and head straight to the bathroom. 

 

"Oh shoot..." I dashed out of the bathroom in a towel and grab my clothes and ran back in again. 

 

"Unnie~" Min Jae knocked on the door numerous times before I opened it and glared at her, "Waeyo?!" 

 

"The library down the street," I muttered, drying my hair, "Its going to close soon!" 

 

"But Unnie~" Min Jae started to put and whine, gripping my forearm and shaking it. 

 

"Mian, Min Jae-ah," I kissed the top of her forehead and head out to the street, wearing my jacket along the way. I quickly looked at the map and started darting down the street to the library. Just as I  reached, I saw the ahjusshi was about to close the library. 

 

"Ahjusshi! Keumanhae!" I shouted, coming up to him. I held the files of old documents I had and tried to get him to understand what I was trying to say. My Korean a little but finally he understood and smiled. 

 

He lead me through the different shelves before leaving me to sit down at a small table in the corner. I smiled at him and dumped my bag on the next chair, putting the files down and set them all around me. 

 

"I'll get you some drink," Ahjusshi said, nodding as he turned and disappeared behind a small door not to far away. I heard some glasses clanking with each other and him putting the kettle to boil. I sighed in relief, grateful that he was not a creeper or something and that he had let me to research more about my family roots. I rubbed my hands together, putting the documents and arranging them accordingly. 

 

I decided to start off with the one that was pretty obvious and might led me to the other documents here. 

 

My grandmother's birth certificate. 

 

I bit my lip and scanned through the Korean characters, finding the surname to her father's name. When I thought it was it, I quickly disappeared into the shelves and find the name. 

 

"Choi...Choi...Choi....THERE!" I smiled to myself and pulled a few old books out, bringing it over to the table and began to search through. 

 

There were only five books and out of the five, only four were useless. The last book was written in a form of entries. Like a diary. I flipped back to the cover, seeing a name there with a Choi surname. I brushed my thumb over the name just as ahjusshi came by and put the drinks down. He smiled having to see me found something of my liking. 

 

"Ahjusshi..." I my lips and muttered, "Can I borrow this?" 

 

He nodded and smiled. I thanked him and continued reading until I didn't notice the time and decided to head back. Ahjusshi was kind enough to let me stay and he didn't mind. I thanked him in return by sending him home in a cab and paid his fare. 

 

I walked home and bought some ramen and banana milk to the hotel where Min Jae bombarded half the cupboard with shopping bags and got nagged by me.