One.

Tracing To You.

I packed my bags and prepare myself for the long flight to another country. I couldn't wait to get this family tree over and done with but.... 

 

"KHADIJAH! Help me load your luggage into the car!" 

 

I groaned and ran to my mum's aid as she helped to load the luggage into the car. I heaved the suitcase and arranged everything as it is in the car bunk and shut the door. My mum heaved a sigh and looked at me with wary eyes. I looked exactly like her, except for the skin. I was more tanned than her fair skin that she had inherited from Haemoenim. 

 

"I'll be fine," I reassured her, hugging her once more and running back in to retrieve the last of my luggage and my backpack as I slid into some comfy shoes and pecked her cheek. 

 

My father was waiting in the car, dressed in running shorts and plain tee, since my flight was in the morning and the thought of changing just to send me off made him more lazy. I smiled lazily at my mum who waved me goodbye as the car drove and finally disappeared around the corner. My father didn't bother saying anything but the music blasted from the car's radio told me everything that I needed to know about his feelings. 

 

He was, of course, sad to see me leave but I had too. Somehow, someone had to trace our roots and I happened to be the one who did it and was now on the journey to complete the whole roots before coming back here. It will take years for me to trace and my parents have discussed this with me to reassure me and themselves that everything is going to be fine and I will return back to Singapore.... 

 

Soon...

 

I gulped and played with my fingers as we drove through the still early morning air to Changi International Airport. 

 

Upon arriving, I retrieved the trolley and helped my father unload the bags on to the trolley. He didn't bother making eye contact with me after heaving my backpack and giving it to me, most probably afraid to let out his true feelings out. 

 

"Pa, I...." 

 

"Unnie!" 

 

I looked to my right to my dongsaeng, aka, Shirley or Minjae as she ran to me and killed me in a death hug. I nearly lost my breath but I hugged her back and gave her a look. She frowned slightly but pulled away, smiling to my father who stared at the attire she wore. 

 

Preferably, her fashion sense were LOUD. 

 

I cleared my throat and gave my final greetings, pecking his cheeks before I turned and pushed the trolley into the air-con terminal. I felt my father's eyes bore into my back until finally I was out of his sight. I felt a huge sense of pain in my heart and sighed, pounding my chest a little at the thought of my parents left alone with my two younger dongsaengs who were sleeping at the moment but had said their farewells the night before. 

 

"Yah," Min Jae touched my forearm and smiled when I turned to look at her, "Gwenchana?" 

 

I smiled and nodded. She was the only thing closest to being a Korean since she has visit the country before. I relied on her navigating and street smart skills to help me even though I was just beginning to learn the language. She herself had learn all the language in school. 

 

She pushed her own trolley to the depearture hall and get the security to check the necessities and her passport stamped and passed before boarding the plane. I turned and looked at the final interior of Changi International Airport before doing the same and entering the plane. 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Min Jae woke up slightly and nudged me. 

 

I turned to look at her, blinking my eyes after reading the diaries of my great grandmother, trying to find anything that were helpful. She seemed to squint her eyes at the night lamp I was using to read the entries and made an annoyed groaning sound at the bottom of and nudged me once more. 

 

"Mwoh?!" I hissed lowly as the other passengers were mostly sleeping around us. 

 

"Can you turn off the light and get some sleep?" She hissed back and rest her head on the back seat. 

 

I sighed and looked at the clock. It was only 8am in the morning. I was about to protest when a yawn caught up and my eyes drooped heavily. I stretched my arms and kept all the diaries into a small bag before keeping it into my backpack. I leaned back and turned the light off, sighing and soon was falling asleep.