bang yongguk - the boy who fell for the messenger

A COLLECTION OF ONESHOTS - scenarios & imagines

 

 

bang yongguk - the boy who fell for the messenger

ll (c) demfluffycheeks.tumblr for gif ll

 

 

I sat on the bleachers in the gymnasium auditorium waiting for a certain someone. The more I sat here and waited the more impatient I became. It was ridiculous what I was doing right now. I'm playing the messenger for my best friend who has a major crush on one of the popular upper classmate. Why in the world is it taking him forever to get here?!

The school bell could ring any minute now and he was nowhere to be seen. My best friend said he always came through the gym in the morning but I have yet to see him. There could have been no way I missed him because I sat here in this exact spot staring at the door for the past thirty minutes. My best friend should be the one giving him this letter instead of me. She is the one who likes him not me, but every opportunity she got she blew it because he was either surrounded by other girls flocking to do the same or she was too nervous.

I tapped my foot against the wooden bench below me and diverted my attention from the door to the group of cheerleaders practicing their cheer routine. I watch as one of the cheerleaders was being hoisted effortlessly up in the air being balanced on the palms of a male cheerleader. She smiled brightly and seconds later she jumped and he caught her. He made it seemed like she was a weightless feather and tossed her with no concern.

My attention was blocked when the familiar boy I was waiting for finally made his entrance. I pulled myself up and rushed down the flight of benches. I pulled over my hoodie to cover my face and ran to him blocking his way. I kept my head down and embarrassingly shoved the note into his hands. He was startled and before he could say a word I ran as fast as I could out the auditorium. By the time I reached class, the bell barely just rang. I hurried to my seat and my friend was anxiously waiting for me.

"Did you give it to him?" She asked not evening waiting until I could catch my breath.

"Yes I gave it to him. Now, where are my macarons?"

She smiled widely and placed three colorful wrapped candy bags on my desk. She didn't forget the chocolate either. If it wasn't for her baking skills I wouldn't agree to ridicule myself for her.

"Did he say anything?" She asked.

I stared at the dangerously delicious treats and I wanted to devour it all. I attacked the colorful bag of mini macarons first. The moment the sweetness of the almond flour and the blueberry filling hit my tongue I was in heaven. Never in my life had I tasted such sugary sweets as delicate as this.

She nudged me when I didn't give her a respond. "Why would I talk to him?" I questioned. "That's your job I'm just the messenger." She wrinkled her nose cruddy.
 

During lunch she sent me on yet again another adventure. It seemed she had this all planned because she packed lunch for me and she even included my most favorite snack ever, spicy rice cakes. How was I supposed to say no to that? It's free food!

This time she didn't know of his whereabouts and that lead me to walk on each surface of the campus to find this Bang Yongguk. I probably should've called my cousin and ask him instead since he knows Yongguk and from time to time hangs out with him. That would've been the better, easier idea if I had thought of it first instead of roaming around trying to spot him. I searched everywhere and he was nowhere in sight. The only place I haven’t searched was the boy’s bathroom and I am not about to go in there to slip him her love note. I made one last trip out to the field and I regretted it the moment I walked there. It was where couples go and hide from the teachers’ so they could make out and do the couple stuff they aren’t supposed to be doing on school grounds.

I stuck my tongue out disgusted and retreated back to my safety net. As I started to walk backwards, I bumped into something startling me. I immediately turned around and lord have mercy, I bumped into Yongguk. I gasped rubbing my head feeling as if I had run into a brick wall. My face scrunched in pain and my eyes squinted as I handed him the note. He bent down to look at me but I was in too much pain that I pushed passed him and angry walked away while rubbing my head. He chuckled as he waved the note in his hand.

I cursed on the way back to the cafeteria where my friend was sitting eagerly waiting for me. I slumped in my seat and grumbled nonsense. “Hyeri I almost died out there!” I exaggerated showing her the pain I suffered while delivering her stupid love note.

“What happened?” She asked. “Did you give him my note?”

I glared at her for even having the guts to ask me if I gave him the note after I literally exaggerated that I almost died. “I injured my head while delivering your love note to him.” I retorted. “Seriously, if you like him that much you need to woman up and go talk to him. I can only play the messenger card for a period of times only.” I angrily said.

Her stupid love letters caused me to spend nearly my entire lunch period searching for him and I don’t even have time to properly eat my lunch because lunch was going to be over in five minutes.

 

She pouted and stared at me with her doe-eyes trying to sooth an apology. I turned my back to her as I forcefully tried to eat as much as I can before the bell rings. She knew I was upset with her because for the past week I was running around looking like a maniac and a crazy obsessed girl trying to get Yongguk’s attention. If she wasn’t my best friend I wouldn’t even care to do such embarrassing and ridiculous things. Yongguk probably thinks I’m some crazy, obsessed and weird girl who keeps running in front of him and shoving things in his hand and disappear before he can see my face.

Hyeri isn’t the only girl who has the hots for him. Every single girl in this school likes him and just like her, every single one of them fought for his attention and the endlessly poured their confessions to him on a daily basis. I don’t want her to be like those girls but it’s not like I can stop her and besides, she isn’t even getting dirt on her. I’m the one who does all the dirty work.

“Well, you don’t have to die anymore because I’m one step closer to finding out his schedule and if I’m lucky his locker number too.” She said proudly.

I grinned dumbfounded. If she spent so much time stalking him she should use that time to actually talk to him. I seriously don’t understand her. What is she going to do if he does decide to approach her? Is she going to freeze to death when that happens?

Actually, cross that. She can’t freeze to death because then I would have to be the one who has to do all the talking and that would be more work and hate for me. It’s bad enough he thinks I’m some weird girl I don’t need the other girls to hate me too.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

Because I am her best friend and because I don’t want to do this anymore, I bribed my dearest cousin, the oh-so-lovely-nice-and-handsome-face Kim Himchan to give me Yongguk’s schedule and locker number. As it turns out, Himchan and Yongguk hung out a lot more than I thought. I knew they’re the same age but I didn’t know that they were actually good friends. Wow, that just proves that I really don’t care about the people at my school.

“How can you not know? You’re my cousin and you don’t know?” Himchan questioned feeling very offended.

I shrugged didn’t really care who his friends were.

“Everyone knows we are buddies.” He threw his hands in the air completely at a mist at my lack of knowledge. “Seriously, you don’t remember him being at our family dinner party?” He asked.

I stopped and pondered trying to recall but I don’t even remember seeing Yongguk. I shook my head. Himchan shook his head too, but for a different reason. He couldn’t believe I didn’t know they were friends and he couldn’t believe I don’t remember Yongguk being at our family dinner party.

“Why would he be at our family dinner party?” I asked very curious and slightly confused.

“Because grandma and grandpa wanted him to be there.”

“Wait. What? Grandma and Grandpa met him before?!” I asked with my mouth hanging open.

Himchan pressed two fingers against the bridge of his nose shaking his head at this nonsense of mine. I really don’t remember ever seeing Yongguk at our family dinner parties, and when did he already meet our grandparents?! What the heck is going on? What did I miss?!

“You really need to stop daydreaming.” He said patting my head. I pouted and pushed his hand away. “I don’t day dream.” I argued. “I just don’t really pay attention to a lot of things around me.”

“Also known as daydreaming.” He said in a really high pitch voice as if he was talking to a child. I angrily push his shoulder and he burst into a hysterical laughing thinking he is some kind of genius. “I’m leaving.” I said as I got up to leave.

“Text me sometimes okay?” He shouted. “You owe me!”

“Who are you talking to?” Yongguk said coming back from the bathroom. Himchan was still laughing by the time Yongguk sat down and he thought Himchan looked a bit crazy.

“My little cousin.” Himchan answered with a smile.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

“Here.” I said handing my friend the information she was unfortunately unable to get from the other girls.

Her eyes glisten and she couldn’t hide her happiness. She clung onto it like her life depended on it and attacked me with a hug. “Oh my god! You are the best-est friend ever!” She said squeezing me and jumped up and down. “How did you get this?”

She finally let go and I fixed my shirt straightening it raising my head slightly satisfied. “I have connections.”

She smiled brightly and squeezed my face. “Thank you so much my adorable little rabbit!”

I groaned at the pain she caused and tried to bite her hand. “I’m not a rabbit!” I barked back but she only laughed and patted my head.

 

I was annoyed with her at first, but after seeing how happy she was over something as stupid as Yongguk’s school schedule and his locker number, I almost didn’t hate what I did for her obsessed self. Hyeri didn’t bother me for the remainder of the day and I liked that a lot. I finally was able to just sleep in between breaks and actually get to eat my lunch rather than trying to devour everything within five minutes. Hyeri still brought me her home-made macarons and she still brought me lunch. Although I appreciate it, I don’t understand why she is still giving me food when I’m not her messenger anymore. I haven’t asked her if she wrote anymore love letters to him, but it’s strange I haven’t seen her around today.

I went looking for Hyeri during lunch. I was starting to get worried because I haven’t seen her all day and I don’t know if anything might have happened to her. I went to the cafeteria and I spotted her at the usual table we sat at for lunch. I peeked over her shoulder and in her hand was yet again another love letter.

“Hyeri ah,” I said startling her. She turned around forcing a smile but I knew something was wrong. I sat down next to her and put a hand on her shoulder. She dropped her shoulders heaving a heavy sigh.

“What’s wrong?” I asked getting worried. She showed me the note in her head and she dropped her head. “I have been trying to give him this note myself all day but I just couldn’t. I don’t have the courage to give it to him at all.” She cried. “I stood in front of his locker literally staring at it for fifteen minutes and I didn’t have the guts to slip it in.” She threw her head towards me and it landed on my shoulder. I patted her back trying to encourage her.

“I really tried to do it on my own because I know you’re annoyed with me. And I didn’t want to bother you anymore with this stupid crush of mine.” She complained. “But every time I tried I either get pushed out by other girls or I backed out because I was too scared.”

“H-Hyeri ah,” I said patting her back afraid she might cry. “It’s okay. I may be annoyed with you and your stupid crush but you’re my best friend.” I said.

She lifted her head wiping away her tears. She really did cry and I can’t believe I’m about to agree to do this for her again. “Really?” She asked sniffing her nose. “Are you sure? I don’t want to bother you if you don’t want to. I know you don-“

“No, it’s okay. We’re best friends. It’s what friends do for one another.” I assured her.

She smiled and pulled me into a hug. “When you like someone I will do everything to make sure he knows you like him.” She said.

I forced a smile to make her happy again. I am doomed. Right when I was free, I signed on again to be the messenger. I want to cry. She hesitated to give me her love note and I snatched it from her. This time I will do it a little bit different. I’ll stick it inside his locker and leave him a sticky note to contact her because if he doesn’t I will kick his .

I reached into my backpack and pulled out a yellow pack of sticky notes. I vigorously wrote:

Bang Yongguk, please contact this number after you read the note because my friend really, really likes you and she has been driving me crazy making me the messenger. Even if you don’t like her just give her an answer so she can move on. If you don’t contact her I am going to kick your ! >____< HAVE A NICE DAY! :D     -----KHR

 

I stood in front of his locker and looked around before slipping the note inside his locker. I left the sticky note on the outside of his locker so he could visibly see it and not end up being in the trash like probably all the other love letters he get on a daily basis. I even wrote it in red to show him I wasn’t kidding.

Hyeri was somewhat back to her old self. She was still anxious but she tried to play it cool. I knew she was nervous and so was I. To be honest, I don’t think he even bothered to read any of it and just threw it all in the garbage. I know he probably doesn’t like all of the attention he gets from the girls and the daily confessions but I didn’t want to see my friend become one of those ridiculous girls who just didn’t know when to stop. I guess it was a good thing that she is incredibly shy when it came to the guys she likes. This was the first time I had to play the messenger for her. Usually, she was okay with her crushes and they were never this extreme because a few weeks later she would find out that he already has a girlfriend and it ended there.

This Yongguk guy should really just say he has a girlfriend to end all of this. It’s ridiculous and I am so ashamed at those girls for throwing themselves at him. I did it for a week for the sake of my best friend and I was completely worn out. It was not as easy as it seemed. One must be very patient to sit and wait for him to walk through those doors to get that short and probably dead-like five seconds with him. If you’re lucky he might even look at you but other than that the feeling was not neutral at all.

 

It already reached the end of the day and everyone was packing to go home. Hyeri was upset and sad that she received nothing. I was worried about her but I didn’t know what to say because I couldn’t think of any consulting words to say to her. If I spoke to her I would only bad-mouth Yongguk and that wouldn’t be good because I would only hurt her more. Hyeri and I were packing up our bags and one by one the classroom grew emptier as students rushed out the door to go home.

“Hyeri ah,” I called. She turned to me faking a smile when I already knew she was hurting. “Let’s go eat ice cream!” I said smiling. She nodded her head. I grabbed the last of my textbook and shoved it into my backpack zipping it up. I swung my backpack over my head and slip my arms in between the straps. Hyeri held my hand and we were ready to head out but stopped our tracks when we noticed someone standing outside the door.

 I turned to look at Hyeri and she looked at me. We were mumbling to one another but neither of us knew what was going on except for the fact that the person who was standing by our door was Bang Yongguk. He lifted his head and he stared right at me. I felt Hyeri’s hand shaking and I stood in front of her.

“Are you,” He said waving the  yellow sticky note in his hand. “KHR?” He asked.

I nodded my head cursing myself. I didn’t think he would read that note. Why did he read that note?! It was meant to be thrown away you idiot.

He smirked inching closer to us and I took a step back along with Hyeri. “I’m sorry I won’t be able to accept your friend’s confession, but I am more than happy to accept your punishment.” He said.

My eyes narrowed and I tried to figure out he was rambling about. He won’t accept Hyeri’s confession but he would allow me to beat the crap out of him? What the heck is wrong with this dude?”

“Harang,” Hyeri whispered. “What’s going on? What is he talking about?”

I cursed underneath my breath. “Did you threaten him?” She asked. I nodded my head and she laughed. I turned to look at her bewildered. Why is she laughing for?

“Kim Harang,” she said smiling. I stared at her puzzled and I couldn’t understand why she was smiling for all of a sudden like this. He just rejected her confession and she’s smiling like it meant nothing to her. “You seriously are the best.” She said throwing her arms around me and hugged me.

Yongguk seemed to be amused too as he tried not to laugh but failed terribly at it. I was confused and I didn’t understand what was going on. “What?” I asked confused.

She let me go and placed both hands on my shoulder showering me with her big and bright smile. “My dearest best friend,” She said. “Please don’t kill me okay?” She asked. “The truth is…I don’t like Yongguk at all.” My mouth dropped open and I was so taken back that I didn’t know what to say. The note. Oh my sweet Jesus, the damn note that I stuck on his locker?!

“Actually, Yongguk is the one who likes you.” My mouth opened even wider and I didn’t know I was capable of feeling so dumb. “Himchan oppa was actually the one who asked me to pretend to like Yongguk so I could get you to approach Yongguk.” She confessed.

KIM HIMCHAN! I will murder you when I see you.

“So…everything that I did…it was for nothing?” I questioned disbelief. She nodded her head apologizing. I turned my head and glared at Yongguk who was very embarrassed and suddenly shy all of a sudden. I let out a hysterical laugh and I couldn’t believe that I had been tricked into doing the dumbest thing ever. All this time I really thought Hyeri liked him and I thought I was being a good friend by helping her express her interest in him. They played me like a fool.

“You didn’t know?”

“Know what?” I asked.

“That Yongguk likes you?”

I shook my head. That thought never crossed my mind. His name never crossed my mind until Hyeri told me she liked him.

She patted my head. “My little rabbit you really do daze out everything around you don’t you?” I pushed her hand away and pouted to show her how upset I was at her, but she laughed it off and gave me a hug.

“My work here is done.” She said taking her leave. “Don’t screw it up.” She said to Yongguk before she left us alone in the classroom.

Han Hyeri you are so evil. How can you leave me alone with a stranger? I don’t even know him. Someone help me! I watch her walk down the hallway throwing a thumb up in the air giving me one last good-luck before she was completely out of my sight. I sighed feeling dumb and used.

Yongguk cleared his throat reminding me that he was still here. I looked at him and stuck my hand out. He didn’t know what I meant so I took the sticky note from his hand. “This,” I said “You weren’t supposed to read it. You were supposed to throw it away.” I said about to crumble it but he snatched it back.

He shook his head. “I’m doing as you directed.” He teased. I huff a content chuckle crossing my arms across my chest. What in the world is wrong with you Bang Yongguk? You are labeled as of the most good looking guys in this school along with my annoying cousin who I must remember to punch later on when I see him. What in the world are you doing liking a girl like me who didn’t even know you existed until two weeks ago?

“I really wanted to tell you myself but Himchan told me that you didn’t even know who I was.” He said. I nodded my head agreeing. I wasn’t going to lie about that I really didn’t care much for him until Hyeri and her fake crush started.

He rubbed the back of his neck embarrassed. The tip of his ears was turning red and his shyness was showing. For a guy who was madly adored by every female in this school minus me, he is oddly shy and bad at this ‘I like you’ kind of thing.

“You really don’t remember me do you?” He asked half smiling. I shook my head before I even thought about it. If I met him I would have clearly remember but seeing that I don’t remember it means I never met him.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “I don’t remember meeting you at all.”

He had a bitter smile and I was sorry. I know I can get a bit air-headed and zone out a lot but if I were to meet someone I would remember their face if I saw them again. It did bother a little bit that Yongguk along with Himchan kept insisting that I’ve met him when I clearly remembered I didn’t.

He took one step forward and I took one step back. He closed in on me and I scooted back until my back was up against the wall. I was a little startled but a part of me kept saying Yongguk wouldn’t do anything to hurt me. Himchan would kill him if he did.

“Are you sure you don’t remember?” He asked again this time inching his face close into mine. I nodded my head.

“I am positive I don-“

My eyes were wide open and I felt something pressed against my lips. It took me several seconds later to register that Yongguk had kissed me. He just kissed me. I was too shock to do anything and even if I did my brain was at a lost. I felt my body lose control and I couldn’t seem to lift a finger to push him off of me. I started to push my head back against the wall and that was when he cupped my face with both hands deepening the kiss and lifting my head up. In that heated kiss, it finally hit me. I remembered meeting him.

He slowed the kiss resting his shoulders and allowed them to drop his hands never left my face and his kisses became soft. He broke away first leaving both of us breathless and in between each breath I took he left little kisses on my lips. I kept my eyes closed feeling his breath against my lips.

“Now do you remember me?” He asked again and I nodded my head not wanting to open my eyes. It was embarrassing for me not remember kissing a random guy at my family dinner party but I had my reasons to not be able to remember him.

“Please don’t close your eyes,” he begged. “I want to see your beautiful eyes.” He said those words so softly that I felt like I was going to melt.

I slowly opened one eye peeking and he was staring down at me. He flashed his gummy smile and I felt my body go weak. “You’re really brave you know that.” I said after staying quiet for a while.

He finally removed his hands from the side of my face and instead decided it was better if my hands were in his. I don’t know who he thinks he is assuming we’re some couple just because he kissed me while I was heavy sedated with my grandma’s Asian medicine.

“That night,” I said staring down at my shoes and catching a glimpse at how perfectly my hands fit in his. “I was very drossy and sedated with my grandma’s Asian medicine. I took some before the party started because I was having really painful cramps, but it was a bit too strong for me.” I confessed.

He tilted his head and stared at me with loving eyes. I was intimidated by his stares and I couldn’t look him in the eye. “That’s why I couldn’t remember you.”

He chuckled and pulled me into a hug. “It’s okay.” He said. “As long as you remembered me now that’s all that matters. And it would make me even happier if you allow this clumsy guy to be your boyfriend?” He shyly asked hoping I wouldn’t reject him.

I broke away from the hug and stared at him blankly. His eyes started to panic and he tried to control his facial structure. He didn’t want to be seen hurt if he did get rejected. I burst into a bright smile surprising him and I tippy toed to wrap my arms around his neck.

He couldn’t contain his happiness and his smile stretched from ear to ear. His gummy smile was appearing so much and it made my heart tingle each time I saw it. “You’re weird, but I like you.” I said lacing my fingers with his.