Chapter 6 : Flashing Moments

Crimson Infinity [EDITING]

Kyungsoo sighed for the umpteenth times today. Fiddling with her pen restlessly, she bit hard on her lower lip as she gathered her courage and slowly glanced at her deskmate. He was fast asleep as usual, but his face was conveniently facing her at the moment. He must had shifted in his sleep earlier since Kyungsoo could've swore his face was nowhere in sight just seconds ago.

To say that she was distracted by his face would be an understatement. She was thoroughly awestruck that it's almost ridiculous even to herself. But, it was almost as if she couldn't help it as she found herself staring intently at every single inch of his perfect face. He was, by far, the most good-looking male she had ever encountered in her entire life. Of course, there was the rest of his friends to compete for that title, but Kyungsoo personally found him as the most intriguing out of them. The fact that he might be her knight in shining armor certainly didn't help balancing Kyungsoo's biased opinion either. The thought instantly brought Kyungsoo back into reality.

Kyungsoo had spent almost the entire morning debating whether she ought to follow Baekhyun's advice and just get this over with already. However, that proved to be easier said than done because firstly, she had absolutely zero confidence and courage to do it. And two, the other was snoring away like there was no tomorrow, and she knew from personal experience during the past few days that he won't be awake for at least another hour. 

Ouch!” Kyungsoo accidentally yelped out loud before slapping a hand across , and sending an apologetic look towards the teacher. Once the teacher turned her back to the class to resume her lesson, Kyungsoo quickly shifted around in her seat. Something had hit her head real hard from behind out of nowhere just seconds ago, and she had an inkling of who could the culprit be. “Byun - Baekhyun!” She hissed towards the other, who was seated several seats away from her at the back. The -eating grin that quickly graced the other's face immediately confirmed her suspicion, and fueled her annoyance.

Read it.” Baekhyun mouthed before lowering her head as she pretended to read the textbook. The teacher must had finished writing on the blackboard.

Kyungsoo quickly turned around as well, just in time before the teacher glanced in her direction once. Then, she carefully reached for the ball of paper on the floor. It was a crumpled up piece of paper torn from a book, and there was Baekhyun's tiny writing scrawled right in the middle of it.

Do it or else I swear to God your groceries would pay the price!

Kyungsoo's first reaction was to do a quick roll of her eyes. She turned around very quickly, and shot an annoyed glare towards Baekhyun. The other didn't budge though, and kept on motioning towards Kyungsoo's deskmate through her eyes instead. 

“This girl is so going to be the death of me one of these days.” Kyungsoo muttered to herself as she shifted back in her seat.

Sighing, Kyungsoo contemplated for one last time before deciding to just go for it. With pounding heart, she slowly reached out, and placed a hand on his broad shoulder. His cold skin that could be felt even through the thick material of the school uniform quickly assured Kyungsoo that she was indeed heading in the right direction. She supressed a relieved smile as she began shaking him gently. He hardly even stirred at first, only shifting slightly with a soft groan.

“Kai?” Kyungsoo whispered hesitantly. “I'm sorry to bother you, but can we please talk for a moment? I promise it won't take long.”

Nothing happened at first. His eyes were still tightly shut, and there was no visible movement coming from him. Kyungsoo lowered her hand, and sighed. She was about to turn around in her seat when his cold hand suddenly caught hers. 

Kyungsoo gasped. “What the—” She halted at once, and gulped loudly when she caught him staring at her. 

“You want to talk?” His voice was thick with sleep as he slowly straightened up, revealing his tall stature even while he was sitting.

Unable to trust her voice not to crack, Kyungsoo mechanically bobbed her head up and down several times as her eyes trailed after his every movement. She nearly protested out loud when he released her hand in order to stretch his limbs. 

“Well then, go ahead.” He said as he finally settled down on resting his tilted head on his propped elbow.

God, he's so beautiful, was the only coherent thought in Kyungsoo's mind at the moment especially when his eyes were boring into her soul like that. 

“I-I..” Kyungsoo stuttered, which instantly made her felt like banging her head to the nearest wall. She mentally scolded herself to snap out of it before trying again, balling her fists tightly at the side. “I meant, yes, I need to talk to you about something. About last Monday to be specific.”

Something flashed in Kai's eyes the moment she brought the matter up. To Kyungsoo's eyes, he suddenly looked almost.. dangerous. Kyungsoo opened to voice out her confusion, only to get stopped by Kai. The latter held up his hand, and gave an almost impercebtible shake of his head. Then, he just suddenly raised a hand in order to get noticed by the teacher.

“Yes, Mr. Kai?” The teacher narrowed her eyes suspiciously. It wasn't hard to guess her mind at the moment. She was obviously weirded out by the rare occassion of seeing a very wide awake Kai in her class.

“Excuse me, madam, but I'm not feeling so well at the moment so would you excuse me, please? I think I need to go to the nurse's office.” It was hard to resist him, and Kyungsoo was pretty sure the teacher didn't even stand a chance especially not when he was using his smooth voice to his full advantage.

“Yes, of course.” The teacher replied almost instantly, looking flustered. “Off you go right this instant, Mr. Kai.”

Kai bowed his head slightly in gratitude before standing up, and strutting towards the door. Inevitably, every eyes were trained on his back by the time he disappeared behind the door while Kyungsoo could only looked on with a disappointed face.

~~X~~

When Kai left the class, you could almost heard Baekhyun's protest in the background. If it wasn't because of the teacher, you could bet she would've stood up as well, and used all of her willpower to stop the guy from leaving.

“Bummer!” She muttered under her breath as she glared at Kai's retreating back.

“What is?” Baekhyun nearly jumped out of her skin out of surprise. She snapped her head to her right in record time, coming face to face with her deskmate. The tall lad was currently staring at her with raised brow.

“E-Excuse me?” Baekhyun stammered incoherently while her eyes kept blinking non-stop. “Me? Are you talking to me?” She questioned with disbelief, pointing at herself repeatedly. 

“Yeah?” He asked back in confusion. “I can't possibly be talking to the desk, right? That would make me a lunatic.”

Baekhyun blinked again with hung open. It took a few deliberate seconds before she abruptly released an awkward laugh. 

“I'm sorry, but it's just that..” Baekhyun gulped, unable to find the right words to express her feelings. It was the first time the other had initiated a conversation with her after all when he barely even looked in her direction since the past two days. The fact that he looked like the reincarnation of Adonis when Baekhyun was in fact a er for beauty certainly didn't help much.

The other's face fell slightly. “Oh, it's alright. I get it. Never mind then.”

“What? No no no!” Baekhyun quickly felt the rising panic in her. Without thinking, she instinctively reached out for his hand to prevent him from turning around in his seat. She instantly regretted the action afterwards because one, it was quite a desperate move on her part and two, his skin was even colder than a frozen fish.

Baekhyun's eyes widened to the size of a saucepan, and she slowly looked up to stare into the other's face. He must had became aware of her surprise because he hurriedly pulled his hands away, and hid it underneath the desk.

“Kyungsoo was right.” Baekhyun mused, mostly to herself.

“About what?” The other questioned warily.

Baekhyun didn't answer at first. She seemed quite dazed at the moment as her gaze fell upon her own hands. But then, she quickly shook her head as if to clear her thoughts, and snap into reality.

“It's nothing.” She replied dismissively before breaking into a smile. “I believe we haven't properly introduced ourselves. I'm Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun, and you are?”

The other looked like he was about to argue at first, but decided against it. Then, he chuckled slightly while eyeing her with a knowing look. “I believe you already know anyway, but my name is Park Chanyeol.”

Baekhyun felt her cheeks heating up at the implications of his words. “But, how—”

“It's quite hard to remain clueless when that's all people ever talk about around here.” Chanyeol said while shrugging nonchalantly. 

“I'm.. sorry?”

“It's fine.” Chanyeol smiled, revealing a deep dimple on his left cheek. Baekhyun nearly stopped breathing when she realised that it only made he seemed more appealing in a span of a few seconds.

You are fine.” Baekhyun blurted out unthinkingly. “Wait, no—I meant, crap.” Baekhyun mentally facepalmed herself before covering her face out of shame. She slowly inched away from him before placing her hands on the desk, and burying her face in her hands.

“Thanks I guess?” Chanyeol surpressed a smile. “If it makes you feel any better, I think you're kind of cute too.”

“Don't be ridiculous.” came Baekhyun's muffled reply, still refusing to look at the latter.

Chanyeol chuckled lowly while ducking his head to avoid being seen by the teacher. “Come on, you're just making yourself much cuter this way. Besides, the teacher is currently looking at you by the way.”

“W-What—” Baekhyun's head snapped up in a flash, eyes shifting all around in panic. It didn't take long for her to come to the realisation that the other was only messing around with her since the teacher was facing the blackboard at the moment. She huffed with annoyance, and turned to glare at him. “That's not really nice.”

“I never said I'm a nice person.” Chanyeol replied jokingly while crossing his arms.

“Okay.” Baekhyun said slowly. “I should probably stay away from you then since you're a bad person.”

Baekhyun had meant for it to be a joke, but something flashed in his eyes for a brief moment. Baekhyun might had been imagining things, but she could've swore his eyes tinted slightly darker.

“Perhaps you should.” He said with a sudden thick aura of darkness surrounding him. “You shouldn't have talked to me.”

“Excuse me, Mister Park, but you—” Baekhyun jabbed a finger at his chest. She flinched slightly from coming in contact with the cold sensation, but quickly recovered her wits. “—are the who talked to me first!”

“Forget this conversation ever happened then.” Chanyeol replied coldly before shifting his attention away.

Baekhyun was left to stare at his side profile in disbelief. She couldn't believe that the other was such a bipolar. He managed to turn 360° into a cold-hearted in the span of a few seconds. No wonder he never had any other friends else than his small circle of gorgeous friends. Huffing loudly, Baekhyun turned away from him as well while exaggerating her action a little bit. Well, two could play at that game after all.

~~X~~

“What the is this supposed to be?” Tao muttered to herself while scratching her head. Her gaze was firmly fixed on the sheet of paper in front of her as she tried to solve the equations. It didn't take long before there's already sign of frustration plastered all across her face. Giving up, she blew a stray hair out of her face, and leaned back against her chair.

“—calm down, Kris.” Tao's ears positively perked up when she caught the voice belonging to the boy seated behind her. It seemed as if the two students behind her were currently involved in a hushed conversation with each other, and there was nothing more interesting to Tao more than a possibly secret conversation between two individuals. She cautiously leaned back even more in her seat if that was even possible. 

“You and I both know that's an almost impossible feat at this rate.” replied the other one. This one had a much more deeper voice than the former, and Tao vaguely guessed that it belonged to the tall guy with angry brows.

“It's not that serious.”

“Are you kidding me right now? Look at them!”

Tao instinctively furrowed her brows. Their vague conversation certainly managed to pique her interest. (She was naturally a busybody just like that.) She mentally began trying to decipher their words. Judging from the way they were speaking to each other, one was obviously raging mad, and the other was trying his best to calm him down. The cause of his anger was a certain someone - or few someone in fact - in the class. Out of her rising curiosity, Tao risked a quick glance towards the two students. Thankfully, they were too preoccupied with staring at someone to notice. Tao naturally trailed after their gaze, and nearly gasped out loud. Not wanting to give herself away, Tao immediately shifted back in her seat.

“Baek?” Tao muttered to herself. “What did she even—Wait, could it be...”

Tao suddenly looked rather thoughtful. You could almost heard the gears turning in her head as she tried to come up with a plausible conclusion. For one, she knew that Baekhyun had absolutely nothing to do with the two students behind her. Even if Baekhyun had somehow became acquaintance with them during the past few days, she couldn't have possibly sparked that much anger from someone she just met. So, all that was left behind was Baekhyun's deskmate.

Now, that was an entirely different story. Tao was instantly reminded of that one time she accidentally stared at their table at the cafeteria. That's right, Baekhyun's deskmate was definitely seated together with the two students behind her at the time, which meant they knew each other. So, it was only logical for Tao to conclude that the male behind her was certainly mad at Baekhyun's deskmate instead.

“But, why?” came Tao's next question as she talked to herself yet again. She took a quick glance at Baekhyun's desk this time, trying to see what exactly was her deskmate doing at the moment that could possibly invoke someone's anger. “What the ?”

Tao found herself getting more and more confused by time because the male was doing nothing currently. Tao did saw him exchanging small conversation with Baekhyun earlier before both of them abruptly turned away from each other, but that couldn't be the reason the male behind her was so angry, right? Or, could it be? But then, that could only meant one thing. They had something against Baekhyun, and openly disapproved of any contact with her. Tao's eyes widened to the size of a saucepan when she arrived to that conclusion.

", you did not--" Tao made a move to turn around in her seat. If there was anything that she hated in this world more than bugs, that would be the thought of someone messing with one of her friends. That just didn't sit well with her because she loved her friends dearly despite the occassional time where she felt like strangling them to death with her own bare hands. Unfortunately for Tao, the bell sudddenly rang just in time for recess, and students began making their way out of the class including the pair behind her. Tao let out a heavy sigh, and pouted. She was so not going to let this matter went unnoticed.