CHAPTER 51

Two Moons: The Beginning

~CHAPTER 51~

"Night by the gazebo"

 

 

Performing Arts Class. Chanyeol was sitting on his desk while welcoming us. “Good day~” He said to me and I awkwardly nodded. I haven’t thank him for the last time. He smirked and raised his brows. “Oh~ We have a transferee~”

Tao entered with Luhan and Sehun. He just rolled his eyes and went to a seat in the back. Fortunately, Kai and I decided to take the seat in the middle.

“Okay then!” He closed the book on his hands and placed it on the side of his desk. He stood up and walked towards the white board. He began writing something.

~Drama Musical~

We read.

“That’s right, DRAMA MUSICAL.” He smiled and tapped the board. “And it’s entitled, The Night by the Gazebo.” The students looked at each other.

I haven’t read that before. I tapped my chin trying to remember.

“Chanyeol-sonsaengnim, who was the author?” Rian asked.

He raised his brows. “Me, of course.” And the students created and ‘oh’ sound. “Would you like me to tell you the plot?”

“Neh~”

Chanyeol grinned and I think I saw him gazed at me. I gave him a quizzical look. *What?*

In a glimpse of an eye, his expression became serious. He loosely intertwined his fingers in the middle of his thighs while slightly slouching.

 

~ Chanyeol's narration~

 

There was once a heartbreaking story of a man.

One day, the man was with his best friend. They were wandering by the road, enjoying each other's presence. It was then that they passed by a gorgeous lady. Her eyes were dark brown orbs. Her lips were like luscious cherries. Her cheeks were rosy. And her hair was clipped with ornaments. She was the epitome of beauty.

The man and his bestfriend smiled at her. And she did the same with a hint of reserve.

The man stopped in his tracks and felt something he never expected before. That smile. He gazed at her leaving while his heart was thumping fast inside his ribcage. It was the first time he ever he felt that way.

 

One day, the noble son in their place held a feast by the gazebo on the lake. The feast was held at night. It was for the celebration of the return of his younger sister so everyone was invited.

The man’s bestfriend eagerly invited him to the feast. The man was stubborn at first but he thought, “Maybe she will come.” so he decided to go.

The night at the gondola was beautiful. Everyone was having fun. They drank and rejoiced. The man waited patiently. “I know she will come. I just know it...” I can feel it, he thought.

After waiting for many hours, the man became bored that he decided to walk by the hill.

 

It was spring by then. The wind was cold yet refreshing.  And nothing can be compared to the moon and stars shining at their fullest. Arriving at the hill, the man quietly sat at the grass. The cold breeze touched his pale skin. He gazed at the stars but, after a few minutes, gasped when he heard a sound. He realized that he was not alone. When he turned, he saw the beautiful lady dancing in a distance.

He happily watched her. “Beautiful.” That’s the only word he could think of. He reached for his chest and felt the loud and fast pounding of his heart.

The lady didn’t notice him until he revealed his presence.The man introduced himself. But the lady stepped back. She was scared, embarrassed and scared at the same time.  She took a step back and almost slipped but fortunately, the man caught her in his arms.

The luminous moon enlightened the lady’s face.

“Angel.” The only word he could say.

He looked into her eyes. It was as dazzling as the stars. The lady pushed him away. But before she went, she expressed her gratitude by bowing.

The man was happy. It was a blissful moment  that he will never forget. He couldn't forget how she looked at him. He couldn't forget her warmth because he could still feel it in his arms. While chuckling, he decided to go back to the gondola, hoping he would see her again.

 

Days and weeks had passed, the man had started seeing the lady. The lady was shy at first but as their friendship deepens, she learned how to trust the man.

The man and the lady begun to socialize. Whenever the man’s bestfriend was present, he would try to accompany the two of them. The man thought that it would be better if the three of them stayed together, forever. The man felt that he was truly in love with the lady. He thought that she felt the same.

Everything was going smoothly until something happened.

 

It was night. It was a night of the stars. The man happened to walk by the hill. He wanted to see the woman so badly. When he arrived there, he heard the woman’s voice. She was confessing her love to his bestfriend.

The man was shocked by what he heard. He felt like a large boulder fell on his chest making his heart crushed into pieces. He was going to leave when he heard his best friend’s voice.“I’m sorry but I can’t return your feelings” The man returned to his position. He suddenly remembered that his bestfriend was in love with another woman and he was engaged with her.

The man smiled for his best friend’s actions. But he felt pain when the lady cried. He never saw her so broken.

The man’s bestfriend left the lady on the hill. She was terribly crying. Her heart was the same as his; shattered into pieces.

He approached the lady. The lady was startled. “I-It’s you.” The man smiled painfully and gave her a hug. She felt his comfort.

It was painful for the man to see the lady being hurt. He just let out a shaky sigh because that’s all he can do.Or not, perhaps. An idea came into his mind. *This is selfish of me.* He bit his lip and released her. He gazed at her eyes. *Let me be this selfish for once.* He thought. That's when he proposed to the lady. “Marry me. I will remove all your pain and change it to happiness.”  The man looked into her eyes. They were sincere. The woman hesitated but the thought of forgetting the man’s bestfriend urged her to accept.

 

Then, They were married. The man was happy for the lady married him. It was pure joy whenever he saw her in his house. It was pure joy when they talk about their future.

But then, he noticed that the lady’s eyes were always staring outside his window. She was waiting for someone. Someone that can be called his bestfriend.

The man thought that he could make her happy but he was wrong. He made her more miserable. She always cried at night when she thought he was sleeping. He was not. He can clearly hear the painful sobs created by her fragile voice.

 

The day came when the lady got sick-terribly sick. She was sick because she was too old. The man, on the other hand, didn’t age a single bit. He was immortal.

But even if the lady got old and her skin got wrinkled. In his eyes, she always saw her as an angel. He loves her. He truly loves her.

Before the lady died, she gave her last words to him.

Forgive me. Forgive me for being selfish for not loving you, for marrying you and for not forgetting my love for him. I’m sorry I was not able to return the amount of love you gave me. I’m sorry for not being able to make you happy. But with my last breath, I vow to watch over you in everyday of your life. Thank you for loving me...”

With these last words, the lady took her last breath. She died.

The man stared at her for a few minutes. His heart was in pain. It was not because of the woman’s voice but because she would no longer be with him. The woman was buried at their family’s cemetery. The man stood there the whole day. He thought of her. He didn’t cry when she died. He kept all of his emotions inside his heart.

 

His bestfriend came who, like him, didn’t age a bit. He painfully smiled at the man. He patted his back as sign of his comfort.

Tear started to fall on his cheek. He couldn’t keep them anymore. His precious tears fell continuously as he gazed at the stars. They were shimmering that night. He closed his eyes and prayed. He prayed to see her again one last time. And when he opened them, what joy he felt.

He saw her face again...Yes, it was for one moment. But the joy he felt can’t be compared to the material things in the world.

The man smiled genuinely. It was then that he knew she was truly watching over him. She never left.

The man continued to smile. His tears were no more. Then, he man turned to his best friend and gave him a warm smile. “Let’s go?”

The bestfriend grinned like a fool and swung his arm over the man’s neck. “I thought you’ll never ask.”

~end~

 

The girls were already crying because of the sad love story of the man. I also teared up. I couldn’t help it. It was like the situation I’m in. Ugh, Chanyeol.

“Need some?” Kai offered me his hanky and I shot him a look. I sobbed and grabbed it. Then, I blew. “You must love that story. But I didn’t expect him to be so...romantic.” Kai laughed and it earn him a glare.

“Don’t you dare mock his talent. Kim Jongin.” I hissed at him and blew again.  One thing that I noticed when Chanyeol was narrating was the pain I saw in his eyes. They were serious and hurt?

“Chanyeol-sonsaengnim, why did the man and his best friend didn’t age?” Yoonmi asked and she got agreeing feedbacks. The students turned to him.

I didn't expect that twist, though. I raised my brow and waited for his response.

Chanyeol lowered his head and when he looked up, he grinned. “To spice up the story, silly~" He stood up and walked while gesturing. "One way or another, the audience might come before me and ask the same thing you have asked to me now. But my answer will be, what do you think is the answer?” The students looked at each other and tilted their head. He shook his head. “It will be up to their imagination.” He pointed to his temple. “When they managed to give an answer that is when I can call this a masterpiece.” He stated and the class applauded.

“You’re so awesome!” “He’s amazing.” “I never thought he would be so poetic.”

I smiled. For the first time, I acknowledged him. There were many things I can learn from that guy if only we’re not in ‘this’ situation.

“I have already chosen the female and male leads.” He grinned. “Drum roll please...” The other guys in front acapella-d. “I chose Hana, Kai and Sehun. Yey~” He waved his hands. I could hear the frustrated voices of the girls.

“It’s always her.” “What did sonsaengnim see I her?” “I’m better than her!”

“You don’t like my choices?” Chanyeol pretended to be hurt. “I thought it would be great though....god, what was I thinking?!” He hit his forehead with his palm.

“No! W-We’re okay with your choices.” “Yes, i-it’s awesome.” “Don’t hurt yourself sonsaengnim.” Typical girls.

 

“When is it?” I asked.

He grinned. “Two weeks from now.” I bit my lip and thought of something. I wanted to escape from his plan.

“W-Wait. This you just say two weeks from now? Is that permanent?” I asked him and he tilted his head.

“Yes. We’re going to present it at the arrival of the Minister of Education. Why? Does it conflict with your schedule?” He eyed me.

“Yes, sonsaengnim.” I firmly said. “I’m going to China because of the Math-a-thon.”

“Oh~” The class cooed. “It means she’s not available.” “We can play her part!” I hid my smirk. Kai elbowed me and gave me a look. “What are you saying?”

“I’m going to China.” I said to him and he gave me a glare in return. “Kai, I can’t change that. This is for the school.” He pursed his lips together and crossed his arms.

Chanyeol clucked his tongue. *Nice one... Though, it would be great if you're the girl.* Sigh. “Ok then, let’s change Hana. Um... Ah! Yoonmi, why don’t you take over her role.” Chanyeol beamed and I felt the atmosphere tensed. I turned and saw Sehun narrowing his eyes. Uh-oh.

“I would love to!” Yoonmi intertwined her hands with Rian and they shook them.

“That’s it, then. Yoonmi will be the lady while Sehun will be the best friend and Kai will be the man.” Chanyeol wrote on his pad. “I already chose the background singers for this play. I’ll give you the list later. For the others, you’ll help prepare for the costume, props and technicalities.”

“Neh~”

 

I was going to stand up but Kai walked passed me. He was mad. I pouted and followed after him. “Kai wait.” I said but he continued walking. “Kai!” I called after him but he was already far away. I gave up. “It’s no use.”

“Have a fight with your boyfriend?” Tao teased me and I rolled my eyes.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” I said and began to walk. Tao smirked while shaking his head.

“Then, can I be?” He ran beside me and I gave him an ‘are-you-kidding’ look.

“Oh my tomatoes gone rotten! What have you done to the ‘oh-so-deadly’ Tao?!” I held his arms and eyed him up and down.  He chuckled.

“Why is your reaction like that?” He asked me and my jaw dropped.

“Is this some kind of your trick to kill me?” I whispered so only he can hear. He raised his brows and shook his head. “Then is this some prank?... I’m not buying it.” My facial expression hardened.

He sighed. “Look. I just want to know you more, ok? I want to know the Maiden...” He blurted out and I took a step back. He sounded so disappointed. “I’m sorry for trying!” He said and stomped his way out. Kai first. Now, Tao. What is wrong with me?!