CHAPTER 32

Two Moons: The Beginning

~CHAPTER 32~

"Daeji's Past"

 

Cluck. The door opened.

“Daeji!” I called. She ran and hugged me.

“Why are you sweaty?” She cupped my face.

“Just had a bad dream.” I sighed. I suddenly looked at the mini-clock on the table. 2:20 pm. “Where have you been?” I raised my eyebrow.

“Well, I was with D.O. and the others. We blended in with the students on the camping grounds. You know, so no one would ask.” She tapped her two index fingers and made a sly smile.

“You got some explaining to do.” I crossed my arms.

She snapped her fingers. “Sigh. I thought you’d never ask.” Then, she looked at my eyes. “First things first. It’s your birthday tomorrow, isn’t it?”

“And how did you know that?!” I narrowed her eyes. “Don’t tell me Ahjussi told you?”

She looked away and started whistling.

“He really told you?!” I grabbed her shoulders. She shook her head.

“A-Ani. It’s just. I happened to hear him talking on his phone a while ago while I was walking on the lounge. He said something about your birthday and something else...” She made a smile again.

“What something?” I leaned closer. *Don’t tell me he’s planning something else!*

“I-I don’t know.” She shook her head and waved her hands in front. *She shouldn’t find out about it!*

I carefully stared at her eyes. Her eyes were dark brown and big and somewhat hard to read. I sighed. It was hard reading Daeji after what happened two hours ago.

“Okay, I believe you.” I looked away and pouted. “Now get on with your story.”

“You see....” Daeji started telling stories of the past. 

 

Daeji’s POV

It was a rainy day when D.O. happened to hear a small sound. He was alone in a park. He was looking around for the source of small voice. He happened to spot it. He found me. He said that I was very small and I was hiding under the big bush.

“What are you doing here? Are you lost?” He sat on his legs. I didn’t speak to him. Then, he smiled and reached out his hand. “Come on, it’s raining. You might catch a cold.”

D.O. said that when he reached out his hand, I started crying.

“Oh, no. no. no. no. Please don’t cry. I’m not going to hurt you.” His eyes widened and he waved his hands in front. He said that after I saw his (Derpy) expression I started giggling. “Awww...” He smiled and reached for my hands again.

D.O. lifted me in his arms and covered me with the half of his jacket.

 

D.O. opened a door and it revealed a small but cozy home. It looked old but it had a sense of secureness. Maybe, because he was there.

“How old are you?” D.O. asked me.

“I’m seven.” I started to sit on the mat on the floor.

“Where are your parents?” He asked while searching the cupboards.  I didn’t respond. He stopped and looked at me. “Did you runaway?”

My eyes widened. *How could he know?!* I looked away.

“Yah, you’re only seven and you know how to run away?” He rolled his eyes. When he touched something on the cupboard above him “Ah. There you are!” He tried to reach for the noodles on top. “Why did I place you there?”

I began to laugh. I just realized how funny he was. His eyes were huge and it looked like it was going to pop out any second now. D.O. prepared noodles on his small table.

“Come and eat while it’s hot.” With that, I hurriedly rushed towards the table and reached for the chopsticks. I slurped the noodles like I had never eaten for a billion years.

“Whoa, have your parents not feeding you properly?” He asked while observing me. I suddenly stopped on swallowing. I gulped hard and suddenly I choke. “Hey. Hey.” He gave me a glass of water.

I looked at him while I was drinking.

“Who did that to you?!” He grabbed my hands and pointed to my arm. He saw bruises and purple marks.

I quickly pulled my arms off him and pulled my sleeves to my hands. I looked down and placed my hands on my legs. “My dad was beating me.”

Then, there was silence in the room.

“Where is your mom?” He asked me. I looked at his eyes. They looked concerned.

“She’s gone.”

“You live alone with your dad?”

I nodded and looked away.

He sighed. “Do you want to stay here?” I suddenly looked up.

*Why is he asking me that? I’m a complete stranger to him...* Tears built up in my eyes. *I don’t want to cry.*

“So?” He smiled as he leaned his arms on the table.

“I don’t even know your name. So why would I live with you?” I rubbed my eyes.

“It’s D.O. What’s yours?” He tilted his head and smiled warmly.

“I-I forgot my name.” I sniffed.

“You forgot?” He couldn’t believe it. “How can you forget your own name?”

I sat silently. *Actually, I didn’t forget. When I ran away, I decided to leave everything behind. My mom said that my name was given by my dad.*

He sighed. “You’re troublesome.” He messed his hair and closed his eyes. It was moments later when he opened it again. “Then, how about I give you a name?”

I was surprised. *Now, he’s going to give me a name?*

“Daeji. How about Daeji?”

“Daeji?” I was curious. “Why Daeji?”

He smiled. “Daeji means Earth. And Earth is a place I love the most.” He smiled warmly then he reached for my eyes. He wiped my cheeks.

*He said he loved Earth. Does that mean he loves me?* I felt a light feeling being built up on my chest. *Why do I feel like I was being reborn? It’s good to have someone who loves and cares for you, isn’t it?* “Daeji. Daeji. Daeji.” I repeated the name all the while.

“Yes, Daeji.” He smiled again.

“Then, can I call you D.O.” He stopped. *What was I thinking?* I looked down.

“Nah, I think you should call D.O.-oppa.” He laughed. I looked up and smiled.

*He’s such a great person.* “Nah, just D.O. is fine.” I stuck my tongue. “Mehrong.” He made a face but he laughed again. I was happy I had a place called home.

 

D.O. and I were walking together on a busy street. He bought me clothes and stuff that I will need.

“Do you want ice cream?” He suddenly stopped and pointed at the ice cream parlor where lots of people were standing by.

My stomach growled then I looked up and gave him an awkward smile.

“Just say it, silly. Wait for me here.” He ruffled my hair and he started to ran towards the ice cream parlor.

People started to crowd each other. “Ouch!” Someone stepped on my foot. I suddenly lost D.O.

Everything seemed fast and suffocating.

“D.O.! D.O.!” I tried calling him but people started to bump against each other. I was taken aback. Suddenly, a hand covered my mouth and when I looked up, I saw him. I saw my father.

*No!* I tried to squeal and struggle as he dragged me to a nearby street. I bit his hand and he released me.

“D.O.!” I shouted his name.

No one paid attention to me. He grabbed my arm and turned me around. He slapped me hard that made me fell on the ground.

“How dare you run away! You honestly think you could hide yourself and leave me like that?!” His breath smelled. He was drunk.

I glared at him while touching my red cheek. "Now, you’re glaring at me?!” He reached for my arm and pulled me up. He started to punch my stomach.

“Ahhh!!” I fell on the ground. I started coughing. Blood started to come out of my mouth. *I want to fight. I want to defend myself from this terrible man.* I wiped my mouth. There was a path of blood stain on my chin. “I hate you!”

“What the?! How can you say that to your own father?! You pathetic child!” He grabbed my arm. He was going to hit me when someone stopped his hand.

“D-D.O!” I saw his serious face. He looked furious. His eyes were glowing with a shade of brown.

“What the-“ My father gripped my collar harder. He was also trying to push his fist to my face but D.O.’s hand was stopping him. His hand was now shaking from the intense strength D.O was giving. My father pushed me hard on the ground. D.O.’s eyes widened then he glared at him.

“What do you think you’re doing to your own daughter?!” He pushed him. My father flew great meters away.

*I-Is this real?!* D.O’s strength was a lot greater than my dad. My dad tried to stand up.

“What the heck?! You’re a monster!” He ran towards D.O. and wanted to punch him but D.O. dodged and punch his stomach instead. My dad fell on the ground. He was coughing hard. I suddenly felt sympathy towards him.

*Why am I having this feeling? He deserved his punch. He deserved it.* I stood up. I didn’t want to move but my feet started to move on its own. *No!* I reached D.O’s side.

D.O’s was looking at him with his merciless eyes.

My hands suddenly reached for his hand. He gazed at me. *Why did I stopped him?* Tears started to fall on my cheek.

D.O’s eyes turned to its original color again. He sighed then he sat on his knees. “Are you ok?”

I nodded. He started wiping my tears again.

 

Cough. Cough. My dad started coughing.

 

“Do you forgive him?” He asked me while looking into my eyes. I shook my head. “Then, why did you stopped me?”

“I don’t know. Maybe, because he’s-“ I took a glance of my father. “I just don’t know.” *.....Actually, I knew why.*

My father stood up and so did D.O. “Tsk.” My father held his stomach. D.O. stepped his feet in front. My father stepped back.

“Run. I never want to see you again!” My dad ran away like a coward prey being chased down by his predator. *Goodbye, dad.*

I smiled seeing him scared. “Thanks for helping me.”

D.O. looked down at me. “No prob. That’s what families do, right?”

We laughed together.

“I almost forgot your ice cream!” He ran towards the paper bag.

 

While were walking towards home, D.O. and I were eating our ice creams.

“Train me, D.O... I want to be stronger like you.” I casually said. He stopped.

“U-uhm? What do you mean?” *I almost forgot. She saw it.* D.O. acted nervously.

“I know you’re not normal. I saw it with my own two eyes.” I happily my ice cream. “So what do you say?” I stopped walking and turned to face him.

“Why do you want to become stronger?” He was facing me the same direction where the sun set.

“.....”

“Is it for revenge?” I shook my head.

“Is it for self-defense?” I shook my head.

“Then for what purpose?” He came closer. I couldn’t see his face. The sun’s rays were blocking eyes.

“I want to protect my heart.” I shouted.

“You’re heart?” He laughed. He messed up my hair. “You have a strong heart.”

*Yeah. I have a strong heart.* “But I want to protect it more.” I pouted.

He stood up. “Geez, you’re troublesome.” He walked ahead. “Me teaching you to become stronger is not an easy task. It needs to have a strong compassion and faith in it.”

I nodded. “I know. So will you teach me?”

“Being stronger for something or someone you want to protect is hard in the process itself. It also means that you need to sacrifice lots of things just to become stronger even if it means sacrificing your own life.” He stopped then turned. Now, the sun’s rays were facing him. “Do you still want to be stronger despite that?” He gave a serious face.

I smiled and nodded. “I will and I would.” *I just want to protect my heart. I want to protect you.*

D.O. sighed and signaled me to come to his side. I happily skipped towards his side.

*Who am I kidding? I already knew she would make that answer. She's one tough rock.* He sighed and looked at what’s ahead of them. It was their home.