CHAPTER 42

Two Moons: The Beginning

 

~CHAPTER 42~

"Happiness"

 

 “Sorry about that... Since it’s already 9 in the evening, let’s proceed to the highlight of the night.” Ahjussi grinned at everyone. Everyone made a fuss.

“What does he mean highlight of the night?” I made a curious face.

“I don’t know either, he didn’t tell anything about this to us.” Kris replied but I felt his hand tensed. Somewhere near us, I could hear a woman’s voice calling out for Kris.

“Looks like the queen has returned.” I shook my head.

“She’s back?” Kris looked at the direction of the voice. “I’m sorry but I need to leave.” With that, his hand slipped away from mine. I looked at how he ran towards her. I saw how his back unhesitantly yearned for her.I was about to cry when I felt something warm on my hand. I looked at it and saw a hand. I turned beside me and I saw Kai. He was having that expression again-that warm expression. I sniffed hard and nodded. He smiled warmly at me and gazed at the stage.

“May I request everyone to bring their lighters with them and follow me outside the hotel towards the beach.” Ahjussi waved at us and signaled us to follow him.

“Do you know anything about this, Kai?” I narrowed my eyes at him. He shrugged and gave me “I-don’t-know-anything” look. I sighed and headed towards our table. I got my lighter and he got his.

When we went back to our table, we met up with the others. Rian was smiling with Suho. D.O. was having a good time with Daeji who was making weird faces. Haesung and Yoonmi were talking about something, it looked like they were talking about girl stuffs.

Kai and I decided to go ahead of them. Everyone was going outside the back entrance where the beach was located. It was near the forest park. The park was connected to a nearby mountain.

 

 

 

I expected the place to be quite dark because it was night but on our way there, I could see a faint light. There was a bonfire near the shore and a huge object was covered with white cloth. Ahjussi was holding something on his hand and I could see a big smile on his face. Everyone was curious.

While walking closer to the beach, I realized that it was hard for me to walk on the sand because of my heels so I removed it. It was pretty warm so I shortly played with sand on my feet.

“It seems what you’re doing right now seems fun so..” Kai smirked at me as he removed his socks and shoes. We were pushing each other while laughing. “Hahahaha!”

I fell on my . “Owwiee! Kai!” I scrunched my nose and tried to stand up and when I did a cold breeze suddenly touched my skin. “Huuu... Cold.” I closed my eyes as I rubbed my thin sleeves. I felt something being placed over me and when I looked up, I saw Kai’s bright eyes. It was being illuminated by the bonfire. He smirked and turned while touching the back of his head and looked away.

“Ahjussi is calling everyone. We should go.” He didn’t look at me.

“O-Okay.” I had this warm feeling again. “Thanks for the coat.” I walked beside him. When we arrived there, everyone made a huge circle surrounding the bonfire. It was bright that night for the stars were present.

“All of you must be wondering why I lead you here.. and why I ordered you to bring lighters.. so to clear things up, I present you our closing highlight for our 100 year commemoration. I present you all the Lanterns.” Ahjussi waved his hand. The huge thing behind him that was covered with a cloth was uncovered. Lanterns with different designs appeared before our eyes.

“Lanterns? But, isn’t it what I..” I touched my chin and tilted my head. I remembered that it was my choice back then. *But how?* I looked at the opposite side and I saw Kris grinning at me. My eyes widened. *I knew it! He knew when he read that.* I literally facepalmed myself.

Ahjussi passed lanterns to everyone and when he got close to me, he whispered something. “Happy birthday, I hope that whatever you wish will come true.” He smiled and gave me my pink floral lantern.

“Thanks, Ahjussi.” I smiled warmly at him, too.

After few turns, everyone got themselves their lantern.

“After we lit up each lantern, make a wish and let it fly to the sky.” Ahjussi nodded and lit up his lantern. He closed his eyes and made a wish.

Everyone did as ordered.

*I wish that everything will be okay and everyone will be happy.* I closed my eyes. *I also hope that Kris shall open his eyes from T. Jung’s true colors.* I let my lantern fly to the nightsky.

“What did you wish for?” Kai asked. I narrowed my eyes and pinched him.

“I wouldn’t tell you, it’s private.” I stuck my tongue out. Kai pouted. “What about you? What’s your wish?”

He smirked. “Now, it’s okay for you to know, eh? Oh well..no big deal...wishes are wishes, anyways. I just wished for your happiness.” He smiled and messed up my hair.

“Yah! You're kidding, right?" I placed my hands on my waist. "Why did you wish for my happiness? What about your own happiness?!" I my teeth. “Fool!” I shook my head and walked away.

“Silly, Hana.. You’re my happiness.” Kai whispered to himself and smiled while looking towards my direction.

 

While I was walking beside the shore, I looked at the lanterns being drifted away in the air. It looked like moving stars on the night sky. I realized that Kris and T. Jung were nowhere to be found. I turned back and saw that everyone was having a great time sitting by the bonfire, even Chanyeol was laughing with Xiumin and the others.

I smiled at the warm scenery. I decided that I should leave it as it is and just take a stroll. My heels were hanging on my hand and the sand was playing with my feet. It was dark. While I was walking on the shore, I saw a path beside the hotel, it was the path to the forest park. There were light posts leading to the place so I decided to enter the place. As I recall, the park was quite huge. It took me some minutes when I took a jog in there. The park was connected to the nearby mountain.

-----------------

Forest Park

It was cold but luckily, Kai’s coat was on me. I was alone but I wasn’t scared. There was a bench nearby and it faced the hotel. I took a time to reminisce the things that happened today.

I couldn’t help but smile-the moment I woke up till the moment I wished at that lantern. Every moment was breathtaking and worth remembering-even the moment when I danced with Chanyeol and the other guardians. I looked at the stars. But to my surprise, the stars were no more. The clouds started to cover up the sky and all I could see was the moon, the full moon.

“Is it going to rain?” I felt sad for a moment. I didn’t want to return to the hotel but I had no choice. I took the path again. But this time, when I decided to look up, I saw them. The heels that were on my hands fall on the cold ground.

“Kris?” I covered my mouth and tried not to be heard.