Chapter 5: Mission 1 Complete

The Past is the Key to our Future
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hye-min’s POV

“So Hye-min, please tell us a little more about yourself. I’m sure the viewers would love to know.” He continued.

I hesitated a little before asking what he wants me to say.

“So why are you in Korea? Were you born here? Are your parents Korean?” he suggested.

“Well I was born in Canada, my dad is Korean and my mom is from Hong Kong. I moved to Korea about 2 weeks ago for school, my parents wanted me to experience the academic system in Korea before entering university.” I explained.

“Ah so can you please say something in English?” he asked and everyone turned to me. Speaking a foreign language was something Koreans found interesting.

“Hi everyone, I’m Karmen Choo from Canada. Today I am lucky enough to join the ever so famous Korean idol group Infinite on this Valentine’s Day special. Please show your love by supporting Infinite and the show!” I said in English

“Wow! That’s so cool!” Some of the Infinite members exclaimed. I felt my cheeks burn with embarrasment. 

“Okay, back to the mission, there are a total of 3 missions. I will be handing out the instructions to the first mission.” He started.

“The challenge is not the mission itself, but decoding the instructions” He continued.

“These instructions will be written in 3 different languages, English, Chinese or Japanese. Your job is to decode it and finish the mission. You are not allowed to use translating device but you can ask the people in the amusement park.” He finished passing everyone their envelopes.

Hoya opened up the enveloped with wide eyes of excitement.

“It’s in English!” he screamed, jumping up and down.

“Lemme see!” I said snatching the instructions from his hand.

 

            Your mission is to purchase a matching headbands and wear it taking selfies with the Merry-Go-Round and on the Hot Air Balloon Ride. The cameras will record the process of you two choosing the headbands. You must both choose the same headband within the first 4 choices to pass. The first to reach the stage will be declared the winner. You have 30 minutes, even if you do not finish please make it back to the stage or else you will be disqualified.

 

Not wanting to reveal the mission to the other groups, I quickly grabbed Hoya’s hand and making our way to the headband shop before explaining to him the instructions.

“Okay Hoya, so –“ before I could continue he stopped me.

“It’s Hoya oppa, Oppa!! You’re younger than me!” He snapped. Shoot, I totally forgot to add his title. 

“Oh sorry, it’s a habit, we don’t have the honorifics thing in Canada.” I defended, hoping he wouldn't think I was ill-mannered. 

I finished explaining the instructions to him and the staff positioned us away from each other in the store. We took a good minute trying to pick a headband. The challenging part was to choose one that your partner would also choose.

I looked around the store trying to find purple, since we were wearing purple it only made sense for us to get purple headbands. 

“Found one!” I jumped

“Me too!” He shouted from the other side.

At the same time we pulled out headbands from behind our backs. We had both chosen a purple Minnie Mouse bow with silver sparkles.

“YAY!” I said jumping up and down.

“PASS!” The male staff said as he painted a heart on our cheeks.

“We’re here!” Sungyeol’s said, as his partner followed behind.

“Good luck!” Hoya laughed as he linked arms with me.

“Let’s head to the Air Balloon Ride first!” I suggested knowing the lineup was always the longest for this ride. By habit of grabbing my friends hands all the time. I grabbed Hoya oppa’s hand without even thinking. We made our way to the line, I saw a pile of middle school kids approaching the line to. There had to be 20 of them.

“We have to beat them to it!” I thought. 

“Come on oppa! We have to beat those kids!” I said sprinting to the line, still holding his hand.

“Yay! We beat them!” I smiled as I fixed my headband.

“How many miss?” The male worker asked giving me a flirty wink.

“Two please!” I was starting to get used to small gestures like this from the boys in Korea. It seemed like a common way to flirt.

Hoya and I entered the balloon and it made its way to the ceiling.

“Look at the other groups! They haven’t even gotten their headbands yet!” I said leaning over the basket and pointing to the ground. I felt his hand grab the hood of my sweater pulling me back.

“Careful, you might fall over!” he said looking into my eyes. His stare was strong, making me feel a little uncomfortable. I slowly turned away looking down to see if I could spot Soo-jung. People were too tiny from up here and without my glasses it made it harder to see. I reached into my kangaroo pocket and put on my Rayban glasses. Taking a better look I saw her sitting by the stage.   

“Picture time!” He suddenly said pulling out his phone as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter