Think Twice

Love Was My Mistake

 

Later that day, after meeting mr. kim, I spent most of the days looking at apartments in Seoul on the computer while grandpa and uncle james went to the other store locations to see if things are running smoothly like they’re supposed to be. Originally that was my job to go around to the different locations, but grandpa insisted on me staying to look up apartments.

“why am I even looking this up?... I don’t wanna leave grandpa. Hes been here for me since the day I was born… am I really just gonna up and leave him because I got offered a job in the city?” I mumbled to myself staring at the computer. “this is stupid…” I said after exiting the screen and turning off the computer. “ I got more important things to do then to sit here looking up apartments. I have to tell grandpa that I change my mind. I cant leave the country… it’s a part of me.” I said leaving my office going downstairs.

“miss ______?” I heard nana say as soon as she saw me. “who was that man?... he seemed like an important guy…oh! and I prepared the rice cakes and bottle of soju for you also!” she smiled as I looked at her and nodded. “that man… was kim bae soo…” I said staring blankly ahead of me. “kim bae soo?...you mean the one that donated $2.5 million to the schools here and charity??” she asked as I nodded. “that’s the one” I confirmed.

“waaaahh!! Whats a guy like that doing here in the country side though?” she said thoughtfully. “hes on vacation here with family apparently he has a house here.” I shrugged. “hmm… you would think, someone as extremely rich would come and vacation here…”
“well… our town is known for its beautiful beach.” I smiled proudly. “but what did he want with you?” she asked waiting for an answer. “… nana, if I tell you, promise to keep it a secret okay?” I whispered as she nodded and moved herself closer to me. “he… offered me a job in the city…” I whispered in her ear before moving away then looking at her. “a job in Seoul??” she cried aloud. “ssshhh!!” I hushed her. “yes… a job in seoul” I repeated. “so… your gonna leave us?” she said sadly. “…uh…” I said thinking about it. “ of course not” I smiled. “ this is my home. I would never leave here even if I was being dragged out of here by chains, I would never leave” I reassured her. “that’s great miss _____! I know that everyone here will miss you like crazy if you left. Especially the men in the town. They would go insane if you ever left” she giggled as I smiled with a shrug.

“they don’t have to worry about that I guess because im not leaving. Im perfectly happy where I am and surrounded by the people who love me”
“that’s awesome to hear miss _______! Heres the things you asked for” she said handing me the bag filled with rice cakes and soju. “thanks nana… im gonna step out for a while to check on the other stores and things. If you need me or if theres a problem here, call me on my cell alright?” I said stepping out of the store.

“_______!!” I then heard a chorus as soon as I stepped out. A crowd of guys with flowers stood in front of me as I just walked pasted them, going towards the beach to mr. han’s shop. “where are you going to day my love?” a guy asked. “shut up! Don’t be nosy! Just leave her be! She can go anywhere she wants too!” another guy shouted. “_______! You look lovely today in your jeans and jacket” another guy complimented. “… hi guys” I smiled sweetly. “how are you doing today?” I said crossing the road over to mr. hans as the swarm of guys followed. As soon as I got to mr. han’s shop, he was closing shop to head home. “mr. han!” I shouted approaching him. “oh! miss ______!” he smiled when he saw me. “…and these guys again…” he furrowed at the group of guys behind me. “when are you guys gonna leave her alone??” mr. han questioned them as no one answered. “… don’t you know that miss _______ belongs to me” mr. han joked. “mwoh!!??” the guys gasped. “is that true _______??” a guy questioned. “now fellas… as your elder, would I ever lie to you?” mr. han smiled hooking his arm with mine. “here you are mr. han!” I giggled handing him the bag as the guys lovingly sighed over me. “thank you my dear!” he said taking the bag then placing a kiss on my right cheek causing the guys to groan with envy and jealousy. “ see guys?... shes mine” he chuckled.

“you should head home… im sure your wife is waiting for you” I whispered to him. “your right…” he whispered back. “please know that I am joking of course, you deserve to have a fine young fellow and not an old fart like myself” he chuckled as I joined him. “lets get you home mr. han” I said walking arm in arm with him taking him to the bus stop.

When the bus arrived, I helped him into the bus and waved him off. “________! You and mr. han have something going on??” a guy pouted. “… you know what?? It doesn’t matter! We’ll still love you even if you get married!”
“you know… instead of wasting your time following me around town, why don’t you go find yourselves real girlfriends?...” I questioned walking to the food stands by the beach. “ahnyeong ahjumma! Can I just get a serving of dduk bokki and a bottle of soda?”
“coming right up miss ______!” the ahjumma smiled. “here you go…” she said handing me my order. As I was getting ready to pay, one of the guys snatched my money out of my hand and paid for it with his own money, placing my money back into my jacket pocket.
“hey! I told you to stop doing that! I can pay for myself…” I shook my head. “you don’t have to worry about a thing as long as you have us _______!” he proudly announced. “you guys are impossible!” I pouted looking at them.

“wow… you must be really popular around here…” a new voice said calmly behind as I turned around. “…yeah… sometimes its not a good thing…” I shrugged awkwardly smiling before walking away, at least tried too. “guys… can you stop following me now and go home? Please? Im begging” I said turning around to tell them. “not until you accept our flowers!”
“im sorry but I cant accept your flowers. Not now, not tomorrow, not in a week, not in a month, not in the future, not ever. Give your heart to someone else okay? Now if you’ll excuse me… I have lunch to eat” I said walking away when they started following me again. “and! I would like to be alone! Please?” i said walking away down towards the beach.

“seems like they’re getting worse day by day” I uttered to myself finding the perfect place to sit in the sand. “they must really like you” the same voice from before chuckled. “yeah… a little too much” I scoffed before looking up at him. “may I join you?” he sweetly smiled. “sure…” I smiled back. “so, you’re the famous shin ______ everyone in town is talking about.”
“… that would be me” I nodded eating my food not noticing that I knocked over my bottle of soda. “… oh im sorry for being rude… would you like some?” I offered. “oh sure” he smiled taking a bite. “so uh… how did your life turn out like this?...” he asked his fingers. “im not sure. Its still a mystery to me” I giggled. “ive heard and read a lot about you miss shin _______” he said looking over to me. “read?” I questioned. “yep… right here…” he said showing me his phone. “I googled you” he laughed. “oh jeez… I didn’t know I was on google. How weird… usually im the one googling others” I laughed. “… you’re the grand-daughter of shin hyun suk. The CEO of Shin HS produces and electronics. Also the head of the village.” He smiled. “yep.. that seems about right.” I nodded.

“so uh… why are you following me? I don’t think ive ever seen you here before…” I said thoughtfully looking at him. “im only here for a week. Im here to relax my mind and relieve some stress” he said looking at the ocean view in front. “this place is really great. Clear blue water, soft white sand, a nice warm breeze. The perfect place to be. Your lucky to be living here” he smiled putting his attention on me. “yeah, its great. I wouldn’t trade it for anything else” I said opening my bottle of soda. “aahh!” I screamed as the bottle exploded on me and splattered over to him. “oh my god, im so sorry! here! Let me help you!” I said taking a napkin and wiping his shirt. “im fine” he handsomely chuckled. “look at yourself. you have the bigger spots on your jacket” he pointed. “let me help you” he said picking up another napkin and wiping the splatter on my face as I wiped off my legs and jacket.

He moved my face over to look at him and continued to wipe. When our eyes finally met, it made m heart skip a beat. “umm…” I said breaking away from the stare. “thank you…” I said shyly before getting up and wiping the sand off my . “I should get going… I have a lot to do today” I said picking up the finished plate of food and walking over to the trash with him following me.

“uh… it was nice meet you” I strangely smiled before rushing away but stopped. “…wait, since you know who I am… can I at least know your name?” I asked turning back around. “my name?...” he smiled. “… my name is kim hyun joong”
“kim hyun joong…” I whispered to myself smiling. “it was nice meeting you” I lightly bowed before walking away. “hey wait! Shin ______!” he yelled causing me to turn around again. “since im here for the week, do you think I can meet you again?”
“….uhm… I don’t know. Im usually busy everyday…” I shrugged. “im sure you have breaks every now and then right?” he asked. “I rarely take breaks. Today has to be the fifth time in months” I giggled. “well… can you take one again tomorrow? Same time?” he asked.
“uhmm… I don’t know, we’ll see” I smiled before running back towards the store. “ill be waiting!!” he shouted behind me.

I got into my car and looked at him before staring the engine and took off. Working the rest of the day in my soda stained clothes, it was finally time to get home.

“grandpa! Im home!” I shouted as it echoed through the house as I closed the door. “hello miss ______, your grandpa is in his study” uncle james said coming from around the corner. “oh.. alright. He must be doing something important” I nodded. “anyone started dinner yet?” I questioned. “not yet miss”
“awesome! I want to cook dinner tonight for grandpa!” I smiled going to the kitchen. “uncle james… if you don’t mind, could you tell grandpa that if he needs me ill be in the kitchen and that dinner will be ready in a little bit?” I said taking off my jacket and setting it on the back of the dining room chair. “no problem miss ______” he smiled as he walked away.

“…now… what should we have for dinner tonight?...” I muttered looking at the ingredients in the fridge.

I took things out from the fridge and placed them on the counter before starting to cook then my jacket with the soda stain caught my eye. “kim hyun joong…” I smiled to myself. “im glad I took that break today…”

I started to cook and finished around an hour later. I went upstairs to my room to change into a simple shorts and tank top before going to get grandpa and uncle james for dinner.

Authors pov

“look at my little girl james… isn’t she just perfect?... she is everything that I ever wanted in a grand-daughter. She makes me so proud of her!” grandpa hyun suk proudly announced looking at old photos. “unlike that mother of hers…” he then said with a disappointed face.
“yes sir… she is something alright!” james nodded. “ I cant believe that one day she will be leaving me…” he then sniffled. “think about it this way hyun suk… at least shes not dead!” james laughed. “yah! What are you trying to say!? You think this is some kind of joke??” grandpa hyun suk shouted raising a fist at james as they heard a knock on the door. “grandpa… its me. can I come in?” _____ asked through the door.

“of course dear” her grandpa sweetly answered as she came in. “what are you guys doing in here for so long? Dinners done!” she grinned. “what are you looking at?” she asked walking closer to her grandpas side looking down. “ohh.. my baby pictures…why are you looking at that? The last time you looked at my baby pictures was when I graduated from college then saying how proud you are of me” she smiled. “young miss… that is exactly what hes doing!” james ratted. “yah! Keep your mouth shut!” grandpa hyun suk hushed him.

“______... sweetie… theres something that I want to tell you…” he said looking at his grand-daughter. “sure grandpa… what is it?” she questioned. “… you make me so proud to call you my grand-daughter. You take care of the stores, the plantations, others and me. But… now that your leaving for the city… I don’t want you to worry about that. I want you to focus on your work and make me more proud of you than I already am…” he said taking hold of her hand. “I don’t want you to turn out like your mother… dropping out of school to run away with the man she loved…” he said bringing back old memories. “if your mother finished college, she could have gotten a degree in business also and could be doing what your doing!” he angrily said loudly.

With her grandpa bringing back old memories of her mother and saying how proud he is of her, its making her think twice about that job offering in the city.

“come on grandpa… don’t bring back old memories. That’s the past already. Lets go eat dinner hmm?? im starving!” she said giggling while rubbing her tummy. “your right my dear… it indeed is the past but I cant help but to think back on it…” he mumbled. “yeah…lets go! Before it gets cold,” ______ then shouted helping her grandpa up from his seat and hooking her arm with his as uncle james followed behind.

End of POV

“have you found an apartment today honey?” grandpa asked as I helped in his seat. “uhm….” I said stalling for an answer. “how am I supposed to tell grandpa that I don’t wanna leave and work in the city?” I thought to myself. “… no, not yet…” I awkwardly smiled sitting down in my seat. “the sooner you find an apartment the sooner you can start a new life dear!” grandpa smiled. “yeah… sure…” I uttered to myself eating dinner.

“if I tell him that I don’t want to work in the city… he’ll be so disappointed in me…” I thought back and forth. “how about we take the day off tomorrow and go apartment hunting together?” grandpa offered. “sure! Alright!” I answered without realizing what I said. “ I mean!... tomorrow… us? Going to the city? To look for an apartment?”
“yeah sounds like fun doesn’t it?” he said flashing a grin in my direction. 
_____________________________

comments are greatly are appreciated!
and thank you for subscribing! <3