Another Day at Work

Love Was My Mistake

 

It’s a nice warm cozy morning in the village today. Perfect weather, beautiful scene of the beach.

“Hi miss _____!? How are you today?” a customer greeted as I walked into grandpas store by the ocean. “im going great today mrs. Moon! How are you and your family?” I smiled as I walked up to her. “the children are doing great! And my husband is busy as always! You know the medicine you recommended to me last week worked great! Ive never felt better!” mrs. Moon smiled. “that’s great to hear! Im always here to help” I said as a bunch of kids ran up to me. “I see that you are busy, ill take my leave now. It was nice seeing you today dear. See you!” mrs. Moon waved leaving with groceries in the chart.

“miss ______! Help!” one of the kids shouted. “whats wrong kiddo?” I asked placing my hand on my knees bending down to his level. “I accidently broke my sisters favorite necklace and shes coming after me!” he said constantly looking behind him. “do you have the necklace?” I asked as he nodded. “do you have it with you?” I asked as he nodded again. “hmm… let me see what I can do..” I said sticking my palm out.

He placed it into my palm and his enraged sister entered the store.

“you little runt! First you break my necklace and second, you run away! Im gonna snap your neck today!” she shouted with a lot of anger. “hey sunmi,” I smiled. “ohh… hi miss _____...” she politely bowed as her little brother and his friends hid behind me. “ I heard you situation, how about we try to fix it huh?” I smiled.

“Here you are miss ______! Like it was never broken!” Han the jewelry repair men smiled. “awww thank you mr. han, this mean a lot to me!” I bowed. “here sunmi, your necklace!” I grinned handing it over to her. “waah… thanks miss_______!” she said staring at her necklace. “looks better than before! Kamsahamnida!” she bowed. “yah! You! say thank you!” she then said smacking the back of her brothers head. “… thank you miss _______!” he bowed. “no problem… now soo hyun, I want you to stop going into your sisters room and breaking her things. And sunmi, stop chasing your brother around town trying to kill him” I giggled. “Promise?” I said sticking out my pinky to them.

They hooked their pinky with mine, bowed for the last time and left.

“so mr. han, how much do I owe you?” I said turning to look at him. “oh no need for that miss _______” he grinned. “of course there has to be. How else would you make business mr. han? How much?” I asked again. “no really, there is no need. The way you helped me last week with my customers last week covers it. I wouldn’t know what to do without you if you hadn’t organized my files, and helped get the customers to calm down. And to top it all off, thank you for the free rice cakes last week! My wife loved them!” he smiled.
“aww your too kind mr. han. But I would feel terrible if I didn’t give you anything…” I pouted. “how about… if you just give me some more rice cakes and throw in a few bottles of soju?” he jokingly asked cautiously. “alright! Sure! No problem! Ill have those ready for you by the time you close shop!” I smiled. “ill have Nana prepare those for you!” I shouted to him by the door. “just be sure to remember to pick them up before you go home today!” I giggled. “sure thing sweetie! but someone as old as me needs help remembering” he laughed. “alright then mr. han! Ill be seeing you later! I gotta get back to the store! Good bye!” I bowed before leaving.

As soon as I entered the store, “miss _______! Thank goodness you’re here! There is a customer waiting to talk to you at register 8. Something about the product being nonfunctional.” One of the employees informed me. “alright, ill be right over there. thanks!” I smiled making way my over to register 8.

“this is ridiculous! I paid a lot of money for this and it turns out to be a piece of crap!” the customer complained. “where is your manager!? I demand to speak with him immediately!”
“excuse me miss, I would extremely appreciate it if you would keep your voice down. You are distracting other customers from shopping.” I said approaching that register as the other customers stopped and looked at the situation.
“who are you?? you work here?... Im demanding to speak with the manager and you guys failed to let me speak to him!”
“me?... I am Shin _______, grand-daughter of Shin Hyun Suk owner of the store.”
“so what if you’re the grand-daughter of the owner?! What does that make you here?? Acting all high and mighty with that ignorant tone of yours.”
“Ignorant?... I do not believe that I am ignorant or mighty in anyway miss. This the way that I speak, and if you have a problem with that then im extremely sorry. I cant do anything about that” I smiled.
“ugh! whatever! just get me your manager! I demand to speak with him immediately!”
“mmm…” I nodded. “well actually the “him” you are referring to is actually me. Im the manager of this place. how can I help you?” I smiled as she stood there with a dumbfounded look.
“…oh…well… why didn’t you say anything in the first place??! now that your here, this stupid product of yours does not work! I paid good money for this and when I bought it home expecting it to work, it did nothing!”
“oh well, if you don’t mind, I would like to see the product please?”
“here it is miss _______” the cashier at register 8 pointed.
“so you bought the blender/mixer for the price of…”
“$89.99 miss ______” the employees announced.
“thank you” I smiled. “$89.99” I repeated.
“yes I did! It’s a piece of crap! I want my money back!”
“whoa hold on now… are you a mixed drink kind of person miss?” I randomly asked taking the blender out of the packaging.
“what does that have to do with anything?... but yes I am. How do you know?”
“im a mixed drink person myself” I smiled putting the blender together. “we get a lot of customers purchasing these and they say its perfect for mixing and blending drinks… are you new around here? I don’t think ive ever seen you before” I said now putting the blender together.
“uh.. why, yes I am. Im here on vacation with my boyfriend.”
“oh… where is your boyfriend now?” I asked concentrating on putting the blender together.
“uh… I told him to stay at the hotel while I came down here to get my money back for this piece of crap blender!” she cried as I turned the blender on.
“well looky at that… it works!” I smiled turning to look at the stunned customer.

I turned it off and heard applause from the surrounding customers who were listening to everything while hearing comments from them.

“I knew miss _____ would prove her wrong!”
“the products here are excellent quality”
“that customer was just over exaggerating”
“she must have been desperate for attention to be yelling at miss ______”

The comments from the customers were being murmured amongst themselves as I stood in front of the complaining customer and crossed my arm.

“So?...would you still like to return or keep this blender?” I smiled.
“that’s impossible! I took this home last night and tried it for myself and it didn’t turn on!”
“well… you saw for yourself that it works just now. But I think I know what your problem was…did you line up the arrows?”
“…what arrows??”
“you see… there are arrows here” I said pointing at one on the handle and one on the base. “once you line those up, you will be able to mix those drinks in no time!” I smiled.
“why would do I have to line up the stupid arrows for?? I should be able to just put it together and use it right away.”
“… if you look closely, there a really small button inside this hole,” I said pointing to it on the base. “and on the handle there is a little stick that slides in pushing it down making the blender work. Blenders like this in todays day and age are more like this for safety purposes. So are you planning to keep or return this bad boy?” I said now taking it apart.
“… well I do need a blender for tonights party… I guess ill keep it…”
“great! And im sorry for any misunderstands about the blender. If you have a problem next time on a product, ask an employee on how it works before purchasing so we don’t have another commotion like this in the future” I softly smiled.
“alright… I understand. Im sorry for being loud. I just didn’t want to get ripped off.” She apologized.
“I must be on my way now. If you have any other questions or anything please don’t hesitate to ask our employees… and if you don’t mind, for your party tonight, I recommend drinking blended strawberry liquor. The strawberries are in this season and they taste fantastic! Half a cup of strawberries, half a cup of ice and a full cup of your favorite liquor and your set! It will taste amazing! I guarantee you!”
“sounds delicious! Ill try that! Thank you very much!”
“ sure! No problem! And again im sorry for any inconveniences before so for the strawberries and the liquor today, ill give them to you for half the price”
“… wow, thank you” she smiled.
“sure thing!” I smiled back before walking away.

“miss ______?” nana, another employee, said approaching me.
“whats up nana?...”
“theres another customer waiting to see you… strangely, he asked to meet you.” she said confusingly. “im sorry miss_______ I didn’t know what to do, so I said that he could wait for you in your office. I panicked.”
“oh… its alright. No worries. I handle customers everyday. Whats another one right?” I smiled before going up the stairs to my office. “oh nana!” I shouted stopping her. “can you prepare a couple packages of rice cakes and a few bottles of soju please?” I asked politely.
“sure” she smiled.

I proceed up the stairs and walked into my office to see a man, sitting in the chair in front of my desk in casual wear.

“hello sir!” I smiled greeting him as I walked to my chair and stuck out my hand.
“hello” he smiled back. “nice to meet you miss ______” he said shaking my hand.
“nice to meet you too! Do I know you from somewhere? How did you know my name?” I said sitting down in my chair.
“people have been saying your name since I got here. My apologies if I scared you” he chuckled. “everyone here really seems to like you.”
“I sure hope so” I giggled. “but what can I help you with?”
“hmm… its not what you can help me, but what I can do to help you” he smiled.
“im sorry?” I said confusingly.
“I saw the way you were with the customers. You know like mrs. Moon, sunmi and her little brother and the customer you handled just now. You were so calm and handled them extremely well.”
“thank you! I try my best to handle the situation without any anger because anger doesn’t really solve anything now does it?” I laughed.
“you’re right” he laughed along with me as my grandpa and james came walking in.
“oh hey grandpa!” I greeted happily getting up from my seat and bowed to him.
“im sorry dear, I didn’t know you were in here with someone” grandpa apologized.
“its quite alright, I was just acknowledging your daughters skill with people” the man complimented.
“actually this is my grand-daughter. great isn’t she?” grandpa smiled. “4 years of college majoring business and 3 years studying abroad makes her who she is today” he said proudly.
“I apologize…grand-daughter” he said correcting himself. “…sir, what do you think about having her make more money using that business degree of hers?”
“what do you mean?”
“… I am a business man in Seoul and I own my own company and would love to hire your grand-daughter to work for me”
“Seoul?... what are you doing here in the country side?” I asked curiously.
“I have a place here, taking time off work to relax with the family.” He softly smiled.
“ohh…” I nodded.
“so how about it? with skills like yours, I would pay you double the amount your working now and with your business degree, maybe even triple.”
“t-t-triple?” james stuttered.
“actually im working here as a manager for free. Im just helping my grandpa” I smiled.
“and you have a heart of gold…” the guy smiled. “what do you say?”
“… I don’t know… I haven’t been in seoul in a while. Im more use to the country life…” I said looking at my grandpa.
“oh honey… you should go, this is your opportunity to experience new things” grandpa encourage. “ I don’t want to keep you here forever…”
“but grandpa… I cant leave you… I don’t want too…”
“I can take care of myself besides I have my partner in crime, james, with me. You know james has always been my right hand man. He can take care of me when your gone” he smiled.
“of course miss _______ I will watch your grandpa as best as I can. even better if your gone” james smiled.
“… I don’t know… where am I gonna live? Who am I supposed to talk too? Im gonna be by myself”
“no problem! You can live with me and my family!” the guy then cried. “we have plenty of room at our house” he smiled.
“living with total strangers?... I don’t know…” I shook my head.
“or honey… ill give you money to look for the best apartment in seoul and you can live there and then occasionally, I will go visit you”
“…miss, you should experience this. Its something new and different for you. don’t let it pass you by” james nodded.
“…umm….” I hummed thinking a while before answering him. “… okay… sure” I nodded with a smile.
“great!” the guy stood up.
“when should I start?” I asked.
“you can start whenever you’d like. Since this week, im relaxing with my family and you need time to look for an apartment.”
“true…” I whispered to myself.
“heres my card. You can call me anytime if you have a question, concerns requests or anything.” He smiled.

I took the card from his hand and read it. My eyes widen as soon as I read his name.

“k-k-kim bae soo?” I stuttered.
“in the flesh!” he grinned.
“you know him sweetie?” grandpa asked.
“… who doesn’t??... grandpa… this man owns half of all the malls in south korea, including theme parks, cinemas and restaurants.” I said before staring at the guy who just hired me with my mouth wide open. “hes considered one of the most richest man in korea!”