The Notification

The Baddest Chick in the Game

Haewon’s POV

 

After that heated argument between us, Junsu Oppa avoided my calls and attempts to see him. I started being worried since he even mentioned breaking up. Through Athena unnie, I asked Kim Jaejoong sshi to help me meet him. He was surprised at first since Junsu oppa didn’t say anything. Jaejoong sshi is very busy because he’s on tour so it’s understandable that Junsu doesn’t want to bother his hyung with his problems.

 

At first I felt angry and blame oppa for telling Junsu about it but then I realized that I did wrong too. When I talked to my parents over the phone, I suddenly miss them. They want me to come back.....I’ve been so happy that I forgot I have parents that were taken aback by my sudden leave and that they’ve been waiting for my return.

 

I focus my eyes on my hands above my lap. I feel anxious as I wait for Junsu oppa’s arrival. If this is way of punishing me, he did a great job. I feel tormented inside.

 

The door opens and he comes in. Surprise registers on his face. He had no idea that it’s me who’s waiting him in this restaurant not Kim Jaejoong.

 

 

            “I asked Kim Jaejoong sshi to help me meet you.” I say. “Please sit....”

 

I’m glad that he did. I stare at his face. I miss him so much....Did he miss me too?

Two ladies in kimono enter the room and place the sushi I ordered earlier on the table.

           

            “I already ordered the foods. Let’s eat...” I utter.

We silently eat together. I glance at him from time to time.

 

 

            “Were you busy?....You didn’t return my calls....” I tell him right after dinner.

            “Did you finally change your mind? Are you going back to New York?” he asks.

His expression is blank so it’s hard for me to know what he is feeling right now.

            “Didn’t you miss me? Me....I miss you so much.” I say.

            “Your parents must be anticipating your return…” he says.

            “Didn’t you hear me? I said I miss you…..We finally get to see each other today but the words that came out of you are all about that….”

He sighs.

            “Haewon ah….We don’t have the time to waste now. You have to do what’s best for your career…We have to think and talk about the best solution because your future depends on it.”

            "I don`t want talk about my future, Oppa. Because everything you`re saying makes it perfectly clear that you`re not going to be in it."

            “You still are stubborn…” he utters as he stare at me.

            “I hate it….I hate that we have to argue about it. I know that what I said last time about marrying you instead is not right. I didn’t think before I speak. I’m sorry….but please, don’t send me away.”

His expression softens.

 

            “I don’t want you to go either….but I don’t think I could live happily knowing that you turn your back to something that you’ve been wanting to do so that we could only be together. I don’t want you to suffer that kind of sacrifice. So please, listen to me….”

            “What are we going to do now?”

He smile but that smile didn’t reach his eyes.

            “You…go back to New York while I stay here….We’ll continue with our lives without each other.”

My eyes widen.

            “Don’t tell me…..?”

He nods.

            “I don’t believe in long distance relationships…I’m a person who likes to have the person I love next to me at all times. With our careers, I don’t think it will work out for us.”

Tears race down my face.

            “No….No…Tell me you’re just kidding oppa….If I go back to New York, we’ll keep in touch right? We’ll think of a way to make it work….right?”

 

He closes his eyes tightly for a few seconds. When he opens them, they are starting to be teary.

 

            “I’m sorry but I think you think too much of me. I’m not that strong Haewon ah….” He grabs my hand on top of the table and squeezes it.

            “But I believe in destiny…” he says looking in my eyes. My tears keep falling. “Even if I let you go like this but if we’re really meant for each other….someday, we’ll meet again for sure. And when that happens, I will never let you go again.” His voice cracks but he’s fighting hard to hold back his tears.

 

 

We come out of the restaurant with our hands holding one another.

As we wait for my oppa to pick me up, Junsu oppa turns to me and wipes my tears with both his hands.

           

            “Don’t cry….” He says.

            “Oppa…”

 

My heart is breaking. Why do I have to pick between him and my career? The thought of moving forward without him in my life scares me.

He looks at the necklace he gave me and leans towards me.

 

            “Let’s keep those beautiful memories in our hearts and minds….” He whispers while he takes off the necklace from my neck. I know that he’s taking it back because he doesn’t want me to be distracted with what I should do. If I have it, I might fly back to him right away.

            “What should I do if I miss you?” I ask.

            “Keep dancing….I like how beautiful you look when you dance.” He answers.

 

He moves back with the necklace in his hand. My hand goes to my neck. It feels empty….I’m no longer Junsu oppa’s girl.

 

            “Goodluck…”

            “Oppa…” My chest is hurting. My heart can’t accept that this is the end for us.

            “Goodbye, My lovely ballerina…” He smiles and a tear escape his eye. He wipes it quickly and walks away.

 

Oppa’s car comes and stops in front of me.

My vision is really blurry because of tears but I continue to look at Junsu oppa’s back as he walks away.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Junsu’s POV

 

I enter my car and stare at the necklace in my hand. I set her free in order for her to do what she loves to do without anything holding her back. Now I understand how painful it is to sacrifice for someone you hold dearly in your heart. I’d never have to do something like this before….Athena sshi and Jaejoong hyung used to broke up before because Athena sshi doesn’t want my hyung to lose his career, now I understand it more. It hurts a lot…..

 

My heart is aching so much. I finally let my tears to come out. I keep holding them in earlier because I want to be strong for Haewon.

 

            “Haewon ah….Haewon ah…” I utter between my cries.

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

Finally, I’m back to Seoul. I’ve been busy doing my solo tour on different countries overseas and return to Seoul to do some other schedules before heading to Japan for the continuation of my concert and fan meeting events.

 

I dial Athena’s number. After a single ring, she picks it up.

 

            “Athena…”

            “Oh…Are you in Seoul now?”

            “Hm. I arrived earlier. How about you? You answered quickly…Aren’t you doing workshop now?’

            “Ah….I’m on my break right now. I was thinking if I should call you that’s why I’m holding my phone but then you called first.” She says.

            “How’s everything there?” I ask.

            “Things are great. I enjoy attending the workshops and doing it with my co-actors….I think I’m starting to get the hang of it.”

I continue to listen.

            “So you practice with that English actor?”

            “Yes. Rob is a nice person. He’s a funny guy.”

And he’s handsome—my mind says.

            “Rob….so you are already that close that you call him by his nickname…” I utter.

            “What’s with that tone? Don’t tell me, you’re getting jealous?”

 

I didn’t answer. When I start doing tours while she attends workshops there, we rarely see each other. We know that meeting will be difficult but it’s even more difficult now than what we expected so we only call each other everyday. Knowing that she spends almost everyday with that actor from Twilight makes me a bit uneasy. I heard that he recently broke up with his girlfriend….and Athena is really pretty so….

 

She chuckles.

 

            “Don’t be jealous…Rob is a friend and a colleague…It won’t go further than that. You know what, we just talked about you earlier…”

            “Huh?”

            “He said that he heard that you are a singer so I said yes…I even told him that the two of you were once featured together on an Italian magazine. We actually searched for it online….he said that I have a great looking boyfriend and that you can also make a good vampire with your visual.”

            “He said that?”

            “Hm. We talked about you a lot…he’s a really nice person. And when we hang out, we always go with others too so you should not see him as a rival.”

I feel relieved. If that’s the case then I think I don’t have anything to worry about.

            “How about you? How was your day?” she asks.

            “Well…The fan meeting and concert in Shanghai was successful. I get to meet thousands of fans there.” I proudly announce. I’m really happy with the warm support I’ve been receiving from my fans. I’m even surprised during one concert where the fans suddenly screams Athena’s name while I’m singing.

            “Actually, something happened on my fan meeting there..”

            “What?”

            “On the Q & A, a fan asked about you. She asked how things are going on with us.” I say smiling.

            “Really?”

            “Yes. Then other fans asked some things about you…They are curious on what kind of person you are in real life.”

            “Maybe you told them some weird things….” She comments.

I shake my head.

            “No….why would I do that?........They said that they hope to see you on the concert although I told them that you’re in California now.”

            “Sorry….I can’t even watch you perform on the stage. I’m a terrible girlfriend, am I not?”

I feel the loneliness and regret in her voice.

            “No, you’re not. You are the coolest girlfriend! It’s that just you are busy….Don’t take it to heart…One day, you certainly could come and watch me.” I say.

I want her to come and watch me perform on stage it’s true but I’m not angry that she couldn’t. I know that one day, that will happen. Together, we have more days ahead of us.

            “Hm…..Next time…Next time, I won’t miss it for the world.” She says.

I smile.

The door opens and manager hyung enters.

            “Did someone arrive?” Athena asks. She probably heard.

            “Yes. Manager hyung came.”

            “Jaejoong ah…..” Hyung calls my name.

 

I mouthed ‘Athena’ to tell him that she’s the one I’m talking with before putting a finger in front of my lips to stop him from disturbing me.

 

            “So…” I try to continue talking with Athena but he calls me again.

            “Jaejoong ah…..”

When I look at him again, I see emergency on his face.

 

            “Uh…Athena, I need to hang up now..”

            “Why, did something happen?”

            “It’s nothing…hyung will only discuss an important detail about my next activity. I’ll call you again.”

            “Alright.”

We hang up.

 

 

 

            “Why? You were supposed to be home now, right? What is it?” I ask.

He brings out a white mail envelope. I take it.

            “What is…” I stop as I read that it came from the Ministry of National Defence.

            “The office received it today.” He says.

 

I open the envelope and read the notice. It says that I have to report for duty early next month. This one is my final notice so I must comply.

 

            “We cannot postpone your enlistment anymore.” He adds.

I nod.

            “Good thing is I’ll be able to finish my solo tour…” I say.

The last leg of my tour will be in Japan and it will be done just like the original plan but the enlistment date written in the letter will be four days after that.

            “So, are you going to tell this to Athena now?” he asks.         

My mind goes blank upon hearing her name. I swallow hard.

            “I don’t know yet….” I utter.

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

            “Hyung, on what department would you want to serve your military service?” Yoochun asks.

            “I’m planning to apply for air force.” I reply.

            “Whaaa…..It isn’t easy to be on that one…Also, it has the longest service length. ” Junsu exclaims.

            “Yes it is. I was able to postpone my enlistment for as long as possible and I’m grateful because of that. Now that I’m enlisting, I would like to take on a longer duty to express my gratitude. Also, I’m always fascinated about air force so I would like to be a part of it.”

The two nods.

 

            “So….you two, take care. While hyung is gone….please work harder to fill in my spot.  I’ll leave everything into you so do me a favour and make fans happy on my behalf.”

            “Hyung I don’t think we’ll be able to do that.” Junsu says.

            “We both decided to enlist with you.” Yoochun follows.

            “Huh?” I’m really surprised with what they said. “You are going to enlist too?” I repeat.

They nod.

            “Hm. JYJ won’t be complete without you. We’ll miss you hyung if we continue to do activities with only the two of us.” Junsu says.

            “Also, this will be the best thing for JYJ. We enlist together and come back together. That way, there will be no military interruption again for each one of us.” Yoochun adds.

            “Really? You will enlist with me?”

I feel moved with their decision.

            “We already informed the agency that Junsu and I will enlist too.”

            “Yoochun….Junsu…I am extremely touched by it. Really….I’m moved.”

            “Who says we did it for you?” Yoochun says.

            “Huh? Didn’t you just say it a while ago?”

            “I said that we will enlist and come back together so there will be no more military enlistment after that.”

            “Ah….is that so…”

They laugh.

            “Just kidding hyung! Of course, we want to do it with you.” He says after.

            “You might feel left out once we do some activities while you are there. It’s better if we do it together at once.” Junsu says.

I nod.

            “Right. Let’s do it together.” I say.

 

Once again, JYJ proves our closeness as a group. I’m happy that I’m going with my brothers and we will go through it together….as what we have always been.

 

            “How do you think Athena sshi will take this news of your enlistment?” Yoochun asks.

Then I start to remember her. I haven’t told her about it.

            “I haven’t said a word to her….I just can’t bring myself to tell her now.”

            “What? You have to tell her soon. She might feel upset once she finds out about it on news…” says Yoochun.

            “You got lesser time to spend together. Two years is two years.” Junsu says.

            “I know.”

Just thinking of the separation that awaits us brings sadness to me.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

C-Jes Entertainment announced today that JYJ will be enlisting by the first week of the next month. According to agency’s representative, the group members made a mutual decision to enlist together. Kim Jaejoong applied for air force and passed the examination, Kim Junsu will be joining the army while Park Yoochun will be assigned in public service just like the previews claims. It has been reported before that Park was identified as 4th grade due to asthma.

The trio are currently busy attending to their solo activities but has confirmed to attend a four-week military training by the end of the month. Fans are left in awe by the said announcement. They immediately express their shock and sadness over JYJ’s the sudden military enlistment.

 

 

I turn off the TV. Our agency told the public about our enlistment.

 

Naturally, I have a lot of worries because of it. Life in military will be totally different from what we are used to. I’ve heard different stories before from sunbaes on the hardships that they encountered during their stays there. Another one is our career. We just started re-appearing on television yet we have to leave and be away for two years. Every artist worries for their careers after military. Going on hiatus is no joke. With lots of fresh new talents coming, there is a possibility that a comeback will be tough. And of course, I would have to leave Athena. Being apart from her because of work is already driving me crazy. What more once I enter air force?

 

I stare at her picture in my phone. God! I miss her…

 

I sigh. Then I stand from the sofa. I didn’t think twice and starts to move and do what my heart tells me to do.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

I change into a hooded shirt and a pair of jogging pants so that I’ll be ready to sleep after eating a midnight snack. Today was a busy one for me. We did a lot on the workshop. I’m happy that I got selected to play a part on the movie. I read the novel and love the story so once I heard about the audition for the film adaptation; I try out for the audition right away.

 

I open the refrigerator.

 

            “Now….what shall I eat?” I utter to myself while scanning the contents of the fridge. A box caught my eyes. It is a small cake….Rob loves to eat sweets and he gave me one to take home earlier.

 

            “Then cake it is….” I get it and take a bottled water with me. I sit down on the floor and eat the cake on the coffee table.

 

While munching, I stare at my phone. I’ve been waiting a call from Jaejoong but there’s none. I tried calling him earlier but his phone was off.

 

            “Is he that busy? He should at least send a message….” I mutter.

 

I hold my phone. Should I call him again?

But it suddenly rings. A big smile spreads across my face when I read on the screen that it’s him.

 

            “Hello?”

            “Athena..”

            “You didn’t call the whole day so I called earlier but your phone was off.”

            “Sorry…I had to turn it off.”

            “You must be very busy….Is everything fine?”

            “Hm. How about you?” he asks back.

            “Nothing new. Just spent the whole day at the studio….”

I stand and go to the kitchen to get some paper towels. I wipe off the icing on my fingers.

I continue to talk.

 

            “How was the weather there in Seoul?” I ask.

            “It was nice.”

            “Ah…Even here, the weather was great. When we came out for lunch, the sky was clear. I thought, ‘Wow…it is a fine day to go out and have a picnic on a park’.”

 

I hear a knock on the door so I walk towards it. I open it and surprisingly, I see Jaejoong there.

 

 

            “Jaejoong!” I utter.

 

He enters the house. I didn’t move from where I’m standing and just look at him with wide eyes.

 

            “H-how come you’re here? You have schedule back in Seoul, r--”

I didn’t finish what I’m saying because he grabs my cheeks and kiss me.

 

He cut the kiss and pulls back. I blink my eyes. My mind is still trying to catch up. What I know is that I was just eating and now my boyfriend is here and just gave me a kiss.

 

            “You ate cake?” he asks.

He probably tasted it when he kissed me. I nod.

            “Hm. I was eating cake before you arrive.” I point to the cake on top of the coffee table.

He smiles.

            “Uh…Do you want one? Wait, I’ll get you a plate.”

He grabs my hand and pulls me for another kiss.

            “What’s---”

He cuts my sentence again because he scoops me in his strong arms and carries me to the bedroom. He lays me carefully on the bed and kisses me again.

 

            “I miss you terribly….” He whispers between his breaths.

His voice and eyes says how much he longs for me.

            “Me too…” I reply.

 

He let me go for a bit and on top of me, he whips off his shirt and leans down to grant me a kiss. His kiss reaches my neck and he pulls me up. I ended up sitting on his lap facing him with my legs wrapped around his body. He gets rid of my shirt. He then showers my whole face with small kisses. We stop for a moment and stare at each other’s eyes. Looking down at him, my hand cups his face. In the dim light, I let my eyes wonder around his handsome face. I can’t believe that he impulsively took a flight just to be with me tonight. I can’t believe that he’s really here in my arms now.

 

Jaejoong puts his hand on my chest to feel my heartbeat. My heart is pounding so hard because of happiness and his stare says that he feels it. He smiles at me making me smile too. After that, he crosses the small distance between our faces. I close my eyes and wholeheartedly receive his warm lips against mine. We kiss and kiss until we lay down on the bed. We are going to spend the night making each other feel our longing and love for one another.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

Comments Please. ^-^