The dating rumor [part 2]

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

Award event last night and interviews this morning in Hongkong. New scandal once I got back here in Korea and a movie press conference to attend….Really cruel….everything comes fast and I have no time to think of things.

 

I get ready for the conference.

 

            “Athena.”

 

God! What’s he doing here? He’s in this movie too….Yeah, right….. I roll my eyes upon seeing No Min Woo.

 

            “How are you?” he says.

            “What do you think?” I sarcastically ask back.

            “I guess you’re tired because of your schedule. You just arrived right?”

            “I’ve gotten more tired because I saw you.”

            “There’s a weird rumor…” he utters. I know what he is talking about.

            “Really? How weird could a rumor could get?”

            “Like…You and Kim Jaejoong are dating..”

            “That’s not supposed to be categorized as rumor…because that’s a fact.”

            “W-what?”

            “You heard me right. I’m dating Kim Jaejoong. Congratulations because you are the first person to confirm it.” I give him a fake smile before moving.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Each cast member is introduced. My name called last. I enter and bow in front of the press people. I stand there for a while for some pictures before heading to my seat in front of the long table. The MC started speaking.

 

 

            “Good afternoon everyone. We would like to thank you for attending ‘CAN’T LET GO’ press conference. The table is now officially open and you can start asking questions to our cast members.”

 

A reporter was chosen. The MC states the company that the reporter is representing.

 

            “My question is for Ms. Athena.”

 

I focus and listen to his question.

 

            “Due to the article that came from a tabloid, a rumor started circulating that you are now secretly dating Kim Jaejoong of JYJ. Are you going to deny or admit this?”

 

Just as I thought.

 

            “Next question please.” I say.

 

Another reporter got picked.

 

            “Ms. Athena, are you trying to avoid this because it’s true?”

            “What I’m avoiding is talking about irrelevant things from the movie.” I directly say.

 

This press conference is for the movie not a ‘scandal’ conference. I whisper my apologies to Director Choi in my left. He nods and says that I should not worry because he understands.

 

            “This question is for Mr. No Min Woo.”

            “Okay…” I hear him say.

            “Do you know Kim Jaejoong?”

            “Uhm, yes. I met him once on an event.”                         

            “No Min Woo, it was not long ago that there is an issue of you rekindling your romance with Athena. What do you think of this new rumor? Is there a real life love triangle between the three of you?”

 

I smile bitterly to myself. These people really don’t understand, do they?

 

            “I don’t think I’m in any position to say anything about that.” He answers.

 

I immediately lean towards my microphone.

 

            “This is not the right time to be talking about such things. Let us give respect to the other artists and director who are here with us. This is a movie press conference and we should only be talking about the movie and nothing else. If you do that, I’ll answer your questions regarding that later after the conference.”

 

They start whispering around. I see Ms. Go and my publisher on the side. They have the ‘What are you saying?’ written all over their faces.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

The press conference finished well. The reporters stopped asking such questions.

 

            “Are you really going to do this?” my publisher asks.

            “Yeah. I gave them my word.”

            “Maybe we should call C-Jes first?” Ms. Go suggests.

            “Don’t bother them. I’ll end it myself.”

 

I think they see how determine I am. Both look at each other before moving to arrange the on-the-spot press conference. I was left sitting in the couch. My phone’s battery is dead.

 

I breathe in with closed eyes. I know exactly what to do in this situation. It’s not something I  prepared myself with but at least I can think fast. Going out there and answer recklessly is not an option. I have someone to protect this time.

 

Jaejoong….I’m going to tell a lie in front of them…You’ll understand right?

 

            “Athena, everything is ready.” Ms. Go calls me.

I swallow hard before I stand up to follow her.

A hand stops me.

 

            “Are you really going to tell them?” Min Woo asks.

I smirk and remove his hand from my arm.

            “Watch me.”

And I enter the room with lots of flashing lights.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

 

            “Jaejoong….” Manager hyung calls me.

            “What?”

            “Watch this.”

He turns on the TV.

            “What’s that hyung?” Yoochun asks.

            “Athena is going to do a presscon to answer ‘your scandal’.” Manager hyung says to me.

I focus on the TV monitor. It is a live broadcast of the conference via news flash.

 

 

            “Before we start, we just want to say that we won’t be taking more questions. We have a schedule to follow so we have to do it quick.” Her publisher reminds.

 

Athena enters and the press starts taking pictures of her. She takes a stand in front of the podium.

 

            “Good afternoon to all. I am Athena.” She says.

            “What can you say about the blind item that came out of M tabloid yesterday?”

            “I don’t know…I can’t give you an answer for that since I haven’t read the article you were talking about.” She says.

 

Another one asks.

 

            “Ms. Athena, everybody in here wants to know the truth behind the dating rumor between you and JYJ’s Kim Jaejoong. Is this true?”

 

I hold my breath and focus at Athena’s face.

 

            “No. There’s no truth in that.” She calmly answers.

 

My mind goes blank with what I heard.

 

            “What can you say about the photos circulating in the net? Is it really you?”

            “Yes, that’s me. It was taken from a fan’s wedding I attended last year.”

            “Why is Kim Jaejoong in there with you?”

She turns to the other side to face the reporter.

            “He was also invited by the couple. We saw each other at the ceremony. You all knew that we were in some projects before so we are somehow familiar with one another.”

            “How can you explain the second picture showing you taking Jaejoong’s car?”

Athena blinks.

            “Mr. Kim Jaejoong offered me a ride out of courtesy so please, don’t add any other meaning to that.”

She’s not dodging the questions but giving straight and quick answers.

 

            “You never talked about any of your dating scandals before. What made you do this all of a

sudden?”

            “I’m an adult and I don’t think I should explain my actions to anybody that’s why I don’t date secretly. However, this is not the same case. I feel sorry for getting Kim Jaejoong in this kind of issue and I feel the necessity to get out and clear it.”

 

            “If you are not really together, then what kind of relationship you have with him?”

I swallow hard. She looks at all the press people around her.

 

            “We are just acquaintances.”

 

For a split second, I glimpse the real her in an expression she’s trying to hide by keeping a straight face.                  

 

            “We’ll be taking one last question.” Her publisher announces.

            “Athena sshi, do you have any message to Kim Jaejoong?”

            “First, I would like to apologize to C-Jes and other JYJ members, Mr. Park Yoochun and Mr. Kim Junsu. I know these two days made them really worn out. By clearing this issue, I’m hoping that it will stop and people won’t associate me again with any other artists at this point. As for Mr. Kim Jaejoong….”  

 

Athena looks straight to the camera.

 

            “Sorry for the trouble. I hope this didn’t cause much harm on you. And uhm…I wish to personally greet JYJ under good circumstances in the future.”

 

She looks at them again.

 

            “That’s all I can say. Thank you.”

 

And she exits the hall together with her manager and some security.  

 

 

 

            “Hyung….” Junsu says.

 

Yoochun is looking at me as well. I am speechless at the moment.

Manager hyung turns off the TV.

 

            “Well, we don’t have to worry anymore. Athena is responsible enough to care about you. She’s a smart woman and she thinks what’s good for you.” He taps me on the shoulder. “I was wrong about her.”

 

Being denied in front of the public is not hurtful at all. It is something very common between celebrities. When I was still with BoA, we also did the same thing in front of people. My mind is not lingering on that matter.

 

My phone rings and Ms. Go’s number registers in the screen.

 

            “Hello…” I answer.

            “I lied…” Athena says.

            “I’ve seen it.” I respond.

            “Sorry about denying you. I didn’t really want to do that but that’s the only thing I could do to shut it off.”

She sounds restless.

 

            “Denying me is nothing. What hurts me is the fact that you put yourself out there to cover me. I am not that fragile Athena. That scandal won’t hurt me in any other way.  I should be the one protecting you not the other way around.”

            “I didn’t mean to make you feel that way.”

I sigh.

            “I know….I know that…It’s just, I want you to remember that you are not alone. We are partners. We are in this together..... Let me take it from here.”

I hear her sigh on the other line.

            “Hm.” She says.

            “Get a good sleep. I know you are tired.”

            “I’ll do that. I’m on my way to my house.”

            “See you soon.”

            “See you soon.”

 

           

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

I’m drinking beer while staring at my laptop. I talked with our CEO earlier. I told him that I’ll admit the truth to the public and he never expressed any disagreement. He said that he respects that decision and C-Jes got our backs.

 

I put down the beer can and start typing. I decided to be truthful and write what’s in my heart.

 

 

Hello everyone. This is JYJ’s Kim Jaejoong.

 

            I am writing to you as a response of the issue that has been circling around for the past two days. I want to honestly express my side about it.

 

            Athena and I are dating. We met last year through some projects and it took some time for us to finally decide to be together. The relationship is still new and it hasn’t been long since we officially date so we kept it to ourselves and informed only some of our very close friends. It’s not our intention to deceive anybody but we only want to privately savor this newly found love.

 

            Athena is someone really close to my heart. She’s beautiful beyond words and I truly love her.

 

            She was pushed to say the things that she said earlier because of the pressure she’s getting from the press. My benefit is what’s in her mind and that made her take matters into her own hands. This happened without my knowledge.

 

            As a man, it pains me to see my woman to take all the blame and responsibility. I feel that it’s my obligation to come clean about it not only for Athena but for my fans as well.

 

            I’m setting my feelings free because I personally think that a wonderful connection like this shouldn’t be concealed. I want to get it off my chest and properly address Athena as my girlfriend.

 

            To all my fans who supported me along the way, I want to ask for your understanding. I wish that you’ll see this relationship in a good light. I’m sincerely hoping that you’ll find it within your hearts to accept the woman I chose to be with. 

 

Thank you.

Kim Jaejoong

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

 

I don’t know how long I blankly stare at the ceiling. I can’t think of anything now. I continue to sit with my knees up in the couch, still undecided what to do.

 

My phone buzzed. It took me a few minutes before I finally stand and take it from where I was charging it. Ms. Go messaged me.

 

Are you awake now?

Look at JYJ’s official homepage.

 

 

I silently go to my room to turn on my laptop. I did what she said by opening the homepage. Jaejoong posted his statement two hours ago. It was when I was asleep. I read it.

 

He admit ‘yes’ contrary to the statements I gave this afternoon. I am so moved by it. I think any woman will feel extremely touched like this if her boyfriend did this. To be recognized by him in public brings warmth in my heart.

 

A slight curve forms in my lips.

 

I hear the doorbell rings. I close the laptop and go to the door.

I open it and Jaejoong is standing there.

 

            “Athena..”

I embrace him.