Welcome to the family

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Jaejoong's POV:

 
 
 
 
 
My phone is ringing. The screen flashes an unfamiliar number yet I decided to take the call.
 
 
 
                    “Yoboseyo?”
 
                    “Hello. Is this Kim Jaejoong?” A man asks. Based on his voice I can say that he's around his 50's.
 
                    “Yes, that's me. Who's calling?”
 
                    “I'm Lee Sanghyuk, Athena's father.”
 
I'm astonished for a few seconds. This is a surprised call from an unexpected person.
 
 
 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
 

Athena's POV

 
 
I came out of the room. A note from Ms. Go is in my desk.
 
 
By the way, your father's secretary got to contact me. He says that your father couldn't reach you since you changed your number. He says that you have a family dinner tonight and he wants you there.
 
 
Huh....why would he bother asking his secretary to somehow get this message to me when he knows that I wouldn't come? I never step my feet into that house since that day and I don't have any plan 'till the day I die.
 
 
 
_____________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
 
I stare at my phone. No messages...no calls. I sigh. As if I'm waiting for something.
 
He's probably busy now----a voice inside my head says.
 
 
 
                    “Who said that I'm waiting for his call?” I utter like I'm talking to that voice.
 
                    “I really don't care if he don't call, don't send message or even if I don't see him again....that's fine with me...no, it's not just fine....that’s how I want it!” I added.
 
Then my phone rings. It's him. A touch of gladness spreads into my chest. 
 
Liar....the voice says.
 
I breathe deeply before pressing the answer button.
 
                     “Oh?” I pretended to sound uninterested.
 
                     “Athena....you're coming right?” 
 
                     “Where?”
 
                     “Dinner.”
 
                     “What dinner?” a crest in my forehead appears.
 
                     “Your father called me. He asked me to go to their house for dinner.”
 
                     “What? Don't go there.”
 
                     “Too late. He sent a driver to pick me up. I'm now on the road to get there.”
 
I stand up and get my coat and car key.
 
                     “I'll go there.” and I hang up.
 
I go down to the parking lot and get to my car. What do those people want this time?
 
                     “.........” I cursed at the wind while getting the engine start.
 
 
 
 
_____________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
 

Jaejoong's POV

 
 
 
I see a big mansion in front of me. An old maid lets me in. Every corner of house is a picture of luxury and wealth. I talked a bit with the driver and he told me that Athena used to live here during her pre-debut days. So, this house is a part of her past that I hadn't known until now. 
 
 
 
 
However, the more I look at the place, the more I feel that it has no resemblance to Athena at all. The glam and aristocracy it stands for is far from Athena's lifestyle. A big frame hanging on the wall above the fireplace caught my attention. A man is sitting next to a woman. They're probably Athena's father and step-mother. On their sides, sits two girls. It seems like they are twins and one of them is the girl I met yesterday. If they claim to be a family,  then why is Athena not included in this family picture?
 
 
 
                     “Kim Jaejoong?”
 
A voice makes me turn around. The couple is coming down the marbled stair. I bow.
 
                     “I'm Kim Jaejoong. A pleasure to meet you sir, ma'am.” I say.
 
The man smile.
 
                     “I'm the one who called you. I'm Athena's father. So, welcome to the house...” 
 
We shake hands. Next to him is his smiling wife. She's wearing elegant clothes paired with her sparkling diamond earrings and bracelet.
 
                     “This is my wife.”
 
                     “An honor to meet you madam.” I bow at her and she seems pleased.
 
Not long after, the twin shows up.
 
                     “We meet again.” The one of them says giving me the confirmation that she's Hae Ri.
 
                     “I'm Hae Mi.” says the other one.
 
                     “Alright. It’s time for dinner so, let’s all proceed to the dinning room.” the madam says.
 
In a long table we sit. I sit in front of Athena's step mother while the twins settle next to her. Athena's father is in my right.
 
                     “I think I had seen you somewhere sir.”
 
Madam lets out a mild chuckle.
 
                     “I'm sure you did. My husband is none other than Senator Lee.”
 
                     “You don't have to do that.” Mr. Lee says to his wife.
 
                     “Ah...I'm sorry I didn't know.”
 
                     “You don't have to...It's not like I'm campaigning now.” he says. “The reason I call you out here tonight is that I want to get to know you. Hae Ri told me that you are Ae Young's boyfriend.”
 
                      “Ah...yes.”
 
                      “What do your parents do for a living?” the madam asks. Mr. Lee looks at her like he's telling her she shouldn't ask that.
 
                      “We want to get to know him, right? We should at least know about his family background first.” she says.
 
                      “Uhm...my parents are running a restaurant. I'm the youngest among their nine children.”
 
                      “Omo! Nine?! It's a big family.” she comments.
 
                      “I'm sure your parents were able to bring you all up just well.” Mr. Lee says.
 
                      “Yes. All my sisters are doing great. Most of them are already married with kids.
 
He nods.
 
                      “How’s work?”
 
                      “Really good sir. I’m currently doing a drama and movie.”
 
                      “It must be pretty hard to juggle those things. I heard that you are a singer too.”
 
                      “Yes. I’m a member of a group named JYJ.”
 
                      “JYJ?....hmm...maybe I should listen to your songs one of this days..”
 
I smile.
 
                      “You don’t really have too...I know that you are a busy person but...it will be an honour for us if you do.”
 
We chuckle.
 
                       “So...how long have you been dating?” He asks afterwards.
 
                       “Uhm...we haven't been dating for that long yet...” I answer.
 
                       “I see.... As a father...I'm curious, what do you.... think of my daughter?” 
I look at him. He seems to be a person with a good nature. He has a light aura. 
 
                       “Athena...is a strong person. She's not bending down despite the hardships she's facing. She's frank and honest. She's not trying to be somebody she's not. She might appear cold but she has a warm heart.”
 
                       “I think you are being blinded..” Hae Ri utters.
 
The madam smirks.
 
                       “I'm sure she'll dump you the moment she feels tired of you...that's the kind of woman she is.” Hae Mi says.
 
                       “Hae Mi! Don't speak if there's nothing good that will come out of that mouth.” Mr. Lee says.
 
                       “Come on...the kid is just saying the truth..Let it go.” the madam says.
 
Mr. Lee sighs and decided to let it go like what his wife says probably he doesn’t want to ruin the moment.
 
The maids finished serving the foods in front of us.
 
                        “Come on, let's eat..” she says.
 
                        “But Ae Young is still not here...” says Mr. Lee. His wife looks at him.
 
                        “I sent her a message.” he explains.
 
                        “Well....she's still not around which means she's not coming. When did that great daughter of yours care? Do you want us to starve to death just because we have to wait for that girl?” she says with her eye brow on the rise.
 
 
Madam Jang is bossy and the way she talks, I can say that she thinks high of herself. The type who thinks that she and her family are the only important people. Her daughters seem to be over-confident and judgemental. The three of them likes to show off. The way they dress is lavish oppose to Athena whose contented with simple shirt and casual shorts at home. I understand now why Athena doesn't have a good relationship with them. I just wonder about her father. Mr. Lee looks like a nice and calm person. He could easily smile and laugh too. I also see that he's proud of Athena because we talked about her works earlier. He told me that he doesn't have time to watch movies but its opposite when it comes to Athena. He always makes sure to watch whenever she has a new movie. Athena got her father as her fan but why is she indifferent towards him? Is the separation of her parents the only reason?
 
 
 
                           “You don't have to talk like that. Remember her boyfriend is here so would you please watch your words? You are making me lose my appetite.” Mr. Lee says to his wife. His voice is controlled but I can say that he's pissed off. Madam Jang shuts .
 
All of a sudden, Athena enters the dining area.
 
 
                           “Athena...” 
 
Her eyes are just on me.
 
                           “Why are you sitting there? Let's go.” she says at me.
 
                           “Ae Young ah....you're just in time...sit down, let’s have dinner.” Mr. Lee says.
 
                           “I'm not here to eat.” She answers with her cold tone.
 
                           “I asked the maids to prepare these foods...since you are already here, why don't you just sit and have dinner with us?' Madam Jang says.
 
                           “Why, you think I can't afford the foods that you eat? I'm not a beggar so eat all that food to yourselves.”
 
                            “W-what d-did you say?! Look at your daughter! She's so disrespectful!” Madam Jang is now furious. 
 
                            “How could you show up and talk like that to my mom!” Hae Mi says.
 
                            “You really don't know what breeding is.” Hae Ri says.
 
                            “And you do? Do your clothes and jewels teach you that?” Athena says to them.
 
                            “Ae Young ah...” her father tries to stop her.
 
                            “What's the reason for all of this? You want him to know about our family? Well, Jaejoong....welcome to this ed-up family!”
 
I stand up.
 
                             “Athena...” I utter.
 
                             “You don't have to pretend like you care...It's not your business anyway whoever I date.” she says to them and finally turns at me. She grabs my hand. I give a slight bow as a sign of respect.
 
                              “I'm sorry but we have to go.” I say to them.
 
 
 
 
 
_____________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
 
We reach her car outside. Athena drives silently.
 
 
                          “Athena...you shouldn't behave like that in front of your dad.” I say.
 
                          “He doesn't deserve respect from me.” she replies with eyes still on the road.
 
                          “He was really waiting for you to come. I'm sure he's upset with how things turned out.”
 
My only concern is her father. Madam Jang and her daughters are not nice anyway.
 
                           “I'm sure that's only for his public image. He's a politician so he cares on how people will perceive him. He never was a real father to me.”
 
I just look at her.
 
                           “You must be surprised. Don't tell me, you imagined that I'll come from a wonderful family?”
 
                           “You don't have to be that sarcastic even with me. I didn't expect much about them so don't worry. Now, why don't you buy me dinner?”
 
She looks at me.
 
                           “I didn't get to eat because of you so you owe me that.” I say.
 
She blinks her eyes and the cold expression in her face vanishes. 
 
                            “What do you want to eat?” she asks in a low voice making me smile.
 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
 
 
 
 

Athena's POV

 
 
                               “Aigoo...my mom is really pretty! You are the real sleeping beauty...sleeping beauty.” I say after applying moisturizer onto her face. I just finished giving her a sponge bath.
 
                               “The drama just finished but I still have a movie to work on. I might not be around that much these days but don't hate me okay?”
 
I pick up the basin and turn to put it in the bathroom. I hear the door opens. It might be the nurse to check up on mom. When I came out I see Jaejoong standing there with flowers in his hand. 
 
 
                                 “H-how....?” I utter.