Spending time with the Kims

The Baddest Chick in the Game

Yoochun’s POV

 

 

We decided to gather together in the office and watch the airing of JYJ’s Running Man episode. We are thrilled to know that since they presented the preview last week, fans are showing their support and voicing their anticipation for tonight’s airing. Manager hyung, Athena sshi, and Hae Won sshi also joined us.

 

We were laughing as we watch the show.

Jaejoong hyung tripped and it looks so comical especially with the instant replay with special effect.

 

            “Tsk….That is so you…chincha, you’re very clumsy for a man…” Athena sshi who’s sitting beside Jaejoong hyung comments.

            “So heartless, you don’t even ask if I’m okay….” He mutters like a kid.

            “Why would I? You don’t seem to be injured...” she replies bluntly.

 

I didn’t pay too much attention to them and continue to watch the show. The part when Jaejoong hyung and I are being chased by running men came. Unfortunately, I got eliminated because she cornered me.

 

            “Yahhh…..you’re not a good runner? You could have escaped them….well, that can’t be helped….with those thin legs of yours….definitely you won’t stand a chance to outrun even me! Mehrong!”

 

I look to my side and see Park Ha there as she gives me that teasing smile. I stare at her but when I blink, she’s gone….

 

What did I just see?

 

            “I didn’t know that running man is fun. Everybody is funny!” Hae Won says to Junsu.

            “Korean variety shows are really fun. I guess there’s nothing like it in US.” Junsu says to her.

Hae Won happily nods.

 

I look again to Athena and Jaejoong hyung to my other side. The former is eating some snacks while the latter is looking at her food. Athena decided to feed Jaejoong hyung instead. Manager hyung is sitting on the floor and busy watching.

 

I suddenly feel stuffy so I stand up and exit the room. I stand in the corridor and lean my back on the wall. I close my eyes. It’s not the first time I hear her voice in my head. The past nights, whenever I lay on bed I hear her laughs and see her face when I close my eyes. I hate that I’m being like this.

 

Why can’t you just shut her off completely? It’s over, Yoochun!

 

            “You miss her, right?”                                                                                                 

I open my eyes and see Jaejoong hyung next to me.

            “Huh?” I look back inside and see Athena sshi glancing over us. “How about the show?” I ask Jaejoong hyung.

            “It’s commercial break. Why did you come out here?” he ask back.

            “I just feel a bit stuffy….I feel like smoking.”

            “Didn’t you stop smoking? Tell me honestly, you miss Park Ha right?”

I shook my head.

            “No. Why would I miss her? We’re done.”

            “You think I’d believe that crap? It’s been more than a week…Talk to her and see if you can still do something to save the relationship. Don’t rush into decisions because of anger.” He says.

I didn’t say anything.

            “Let’s enjoy the show first, okay?” He says.

We go back inside to continue watching the show.

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

            “That was a great show!”

 

Everybody clap as the variety show ended. Our episode is entertaining. We received a lot of congratulatory SMS from friends and families during the show.

 

Jaejoong hyung, Junsu, and I do a group hug. We are so happy that we finally had our television comeback.

 

            “Congratulations….You worked hard.” Athena says.

            “Congratulations. I wish that more TV appearance will come to you after this!” says Hae Won. 

 

Then we decided to go. Junsu will hang out with Hae Won while Jaejoong hyung will send off Athena sshi. She has a schedule she only joined us to watch the show. Then Jaejoong hyung will attend a meeting with regards to his album. It’s done and they’re just in the talk on some details about the release. As for me, I’m free so I’ll go home early and take a rest.

 

            “Yoochun ah…” Jaejoong hyung calls me.

            “Oh?”

            “Park Ha sshi got beaten up by sasaengs….Athena visited her in the hospital the other day.”

I only look at him.

            “Since we were watching earlier, I decided not tell you and hold back for a bit. Visit her so that the two of you could talk. If the separation is hurtful for you, it’s the same for her….” He taps my shoulder and go.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

I’m not sure what I did after leaving the office but I found myself driving by her place. I stop the car in front of the apartment building where she lives.

 

            “Park Ha sshi got beaten up by sasaengs….”

 

I run my palm to my face. What are you doing? So what if sasaengs beaten her up? Isn’t she one of them? Probably it has something to do with their crazy behaviors… Why do I have to worry about her?

 

Then a familiar figure shows up. It is her. She walks outside carrying a garbage bag. She has a bandage plastered on her right forehead. The side of her lips has a small scrape. She is very pale. My heart sunk upon seeing her appearance.

 

She dumps the garbage bag into the garbage bin. She pauses and her hand touches her left rib. Pain registers in her face.

 

My hand touches the door handle and opens it. I was about to go out but then I remember what she did. Anger fills my chest again. I can’t forget how she played me. I thought its fine but no….I’m still mad at her. I still can’t face her because I’m still angry for what she did to me and Jaejoong hyung.

 

I start the engine and drive away.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

 

We listened to each song from my latest album. The executives give out their feedback for each song. We already released some posters the week before. Some advance orders came up and judging from the figures, we are all positive that there will be no problem. The release date will be by the end of the week and so we finalized the schedules of promotions. I will also have a solo tour after that.

 

The meeting ended. So far, I’m satisfied with what the discussion turned out.

 

I checked my phone and see five missed calls from my noona. I press the return call button.

 

            “Jaejoong ah!”

            “Oh, noona. I just finished a meeting.”

            “Ah…so that’s why….Is everything going well with your new album?”

            “Hm. The release will be by the end of the week and so we talked a few things. Is that why you called?”

            “Anni….omma ordered me to call you.”

            “Huh? She did?” I haven’t talked to omma since we had that small argument over the phone while Athena was at the hospital.

            “She wanted to see you. If it’s possible, come home before your album release date. I’m sure you’ll be busy by then….”

            “Alright…I’ll clear out a day from my schedule.”

I have to continue pursuing omma about Athena. I hope that it would go smoother this time.

            “Also, she wants you to bring Athena with you.”

            “What? She wants to see her too?”

            “Don’t worry, I think omma finally decided to give her a chance.”

            “What? Are you saying the truth noona?!”

I can’t believe with what I heard but that would be really great if it’s true.

            “Yes. Her father unexpectedly paid a visit yesterday. He talked to omma and appa. He explained some things about his family to us.  Also, you won’t believe what he did….”

            “What did Senator Lee did?”

I swallow out of curiosity.

            “He bows to our parents and says ‘I was not a good father to my daughter. I am the responsible one so she had to live a sad life….Though it’s like that; she grew up strong and has a kind heart. I hope you’d give her a chance. Let us bless the kids and support them on being together.’ You know how shock our parents are with what he did. How could a person with that position and status beg in front of our family? He even praised them for raising you well….he says that he wants to have you as a son-in-law!”

            “H-he did such thing?”

            “Yes. I was there and witnessed everything. It was really shocking…..but I think her father is a nice person…”

I nod.

            “After that, mom seems to soften with her opinion. She’s not saying anything to us but I think she’ll consider her. So make sure to come home with Athena, okay? I wasn’t able to snap a single photo with her the last time she was here because of the situation….”

            “I’ll come home within this week…I’m sure she’ll come with me once she hears that mom invited her. Noona, thank you so much for telling me the good news.”

She chuckles.

            “I couldn’t wait to tell you either…I called but you were busy earlier. So, I’ll see you once you come home, okay?”

            “Yes. Thank you again.”

            “Bye.”

            “Bye, noona.”

 

I smile. Everything is starting to fall into places. Thank God….

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

I hold Athena’s hand as we walk towards my family’s home. I see the nervousness in her face. When I told her that mom wanted to see the two of us, she asked Ms. Go to clear a date for her. Though the first time she came here didn’t end up well, she still comes with me without hesitation.

 

I talked to Senator Lee when I found out about his visit.

 

            “She told me not to reveal to the public about the truth so I thought, I should at least clear things out with your parents. Athena didn’t do anything wrong that her family turned out to be like this…..I was the one who did a mistake…I should be the one receiving some scolding not her. This is the least I could do for the two of you…..still, it’s up to your parents how would they accept the situation.”

 

He’s truly concern and I am thankful with what he did.

Anyway, Athena is not aware of what her father did and so I chose not to mention anything to her like what Senator Lee requested.

 

My noona opens the door for us.

 

 

            “Athena ah! I’m glad to see you again.” She happily greets her.

            “I’m happy to see you too, unnie…”

            “I watched you in Healing Camp yesterday. I enjoyed it.”

            “Is that so? I’m glad…”

            “Even my friends told me that you seemed to be a likeable person and I said ‘Of course! I told you that Athena is a cool person!’ I always think that Jaejoong chose his woman well.” Noona is talkative as always.

 

I had seen Healing Camp yesterday as well and I heard from manager hyung that Athena gained positive response from the public because of it. There well lots of praises and good comments on the net.

 

            “Omo! Jaejoong and Athena came earlier than us! It’s because you move really slow yeobo….”

My other noona comes with her husband. I greet them and introduce Athena to them.

            “I was not here when you first visited. So when I heard that you’ll come today, I immediately plan to come! I really want to meet you personally….”

            “I’m glad to meet you too…”

            “Call me unnie. I’m Jaejoong’s fourth older sister.”

 

We found out that all my eight noonas are here. Some of them came with their husbands and their children. They all happily greeted Athena. Even my nieces and nephews show their interests on her.

 

            “What is this? A family reunion? Why is everybody here?” I ask jokingly.

That explains the parked cars along the street.

            “We want to show our support towards Athena. The kids want to meet her also….”

One of my nieces has been beside Athena since earlier. It is as if she has been glued on her..

            “Jin Yi finally meets her idol…” My noona says.

Father and mother come out of the room.

            “So you two are here?” father asks.

            “Yes, abojji…” I reply.

            “I hope you didn’t have trouble coming here….I’m sure you are both busy with work.”

            “We didn’t have a hard time…I’m glad to be here too anyway.” Athena answers.

Mother is quietly looking at us.

            “It is really crowded in here. It’s not the entire family yet….” Father says and chuckles.

 

Yeah…we have a huge family. Not everyone came….some of my brother-in-laws couldn’t come because of work and my older nieces and nephews are in the city but the house is already crowded.

            “The children are here. Why don’t we go to our room and talk?” Father invited us to their room.

 

Athena and I follow them. Once inside, we pay our respect by bowing together in front of my parents.

 

 

            “Aigoo…you really look good together….I’m sure you two will produce good off springs…” father comments.

            “Father…how could you bring up such thing so early…” I say.

            “It was just a comment that slips my tongue…”

Father is more vocal today. I know that he was just holding up before because of mother.

            “Ma’am, I heard from Jaejoong that you invited us here today. I want to thank you for that. I really appreciate it.” Athena says. I think she’s still feeling a bit uneasy.

Mother smiles gently.

            “I should be the one to come to you but because the body of Jaejoong’s father is not that good these days, I just decided to ask you to come here instead.” She starts.

We stay quiet and listen.

            “I must have given you a fright because of the last time we met….Just like what I told you, I’m not really like that. I was just blinded by my desire to protect my child….I think you don’t know but your father came to visit us a few days ago.”

Athena’s eyes widen.

 

            “We talked. He told us some things making us see things in a different way. After that, I had given it a lot of thought and I realized how unfair I was to you. I’ve been judgemental and for that, I’m sorry.”

            “Please don’t apologize….I really understand that you meant no harm.” Athena says to her.

            “Between the two of us, I should be the one to understand the situation….I was wrong and I admit that. Now, I asked you to come here today because I want to tell you that I’m now blessing your relationship. If you really want to be together that much then I will accept that. Also, I would like to get to know Athena more….I want to know her myself so if you would give me the chance…”

            “Definitely….I would like to get to know you more too, Ma’am!” Athena says with a gentle smile.

            “Call me ommoni…” My mom smiles at her.

            “Neh….ommoni…..”

            “Call me abbonim…” father says.

We chuckle.

            “Abbonim….” Athena says.

            “Omma!” I hug her. “Thank you so much! I always think that you’ll understand….I love you omma!” I give her some pecks on the cheek because of happiness.

            “Omo…Omo…this kid! Don’t squeeze me too tightly….Don’t you feel embarrass that your girlfriend can see you acting like a child?”

Athena chuckles.

            “I’m already used to it…” she says making my parents laugh.

When I let go of mom, she scoots a bit forward and take Athena’s hand.

            “Aigoo…you must have a hard time in the past….Also, it hasn’t been that long since you lost your mother. I may not be able to replace her but I would like you to treat me like a real mom…Though I’m old, I will do my best to guide you like my children…”

Athena’s eyes gleams. She nods at her.

            “Thank you so much…..Thank you for accepting me ommoni…” her tears roll down her cheeks.

            “Don’t cry….Today, let’s have a good time together okay?”

Mom wipes her tears.

I feel that another heavy thing was lifted from my chest. It feels great seeing them like this.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

We had a great dinner with the whole family. Omma prepared a lot and made sure that Athena will have plenty to eat.

 

 

            “I like her…She’s not a trying hard to win people’s hearts.” My fifth noona says to me as we observe Athena from a distance.

 

She not the sociable type but she did well in fitting in with people.  I smile. Athena has a timid smile in her lips as she looks at my sixth noona’s seven months old baby.

 

            “She’s has sisters from her father’s second marriage but they don’t get along like us. She was often alone so all of it is new to her.” I say.

            “I feel like she could adjust to the family quickly…” fifth noona taps me by the shoulder.

 

 

 

            “Why don’t you try holding her?”

Athena waves her palm.

            “It’s okay….staring is fine for me. She might only cry with me….”

 

Sixth noona hands over her baby to Athena. She holds my niece in her arms. I couldn’t help but smile seeing how cautious Athena is as she carries the baby. I find her really charming.

 

            “See, she’s not crying...You know how to carry the baby well.” Noona praises her.

I come near them.

            “Do you like children?” I ask her.

            “I find them cute…But whenever there’s a kid around me, I never dare look at them a lot or try to touch them. I don’t want the parents to feel burdened….if a stranger would hold your kid, it doesn’t give a nice feeling right?” she replies.

            “As long as you won’t do anything bad then it’s fine….” I say. I touch my niece’s round head.

            “She has a very thin hair, doesn’t she?” Athena says.

I nod.

            “She’s already comfortable in your arms…” I comment.

            “Aigoo….the three of you looks like a family….” Sixth noona says to us. She brings out her phone.

            “Look over here, I’ll take your picture.”

She snaps a few photos of the three of us.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

 

I glance beside me. Jaejoong’s seventh and eighth sisters are already asleep. I secretly blow out some air. Most of people get to return to their own homes. Jaejoong’s parents, his two single sisters, Jaejoong, and I stayed here.

 

I share the room with his sisters while he stays in his own room. My phone suddenly buzzes so I sit and answer his call.

 

            “You’re not yet asleep?” he asks.

            “Hm.”

            “How about my noonas?”

I glance at them again. Both seem to be in dreamland already.

            “They’re sleeping soundly next to me…” I try to speak in low voice to avoid waking them up.

            “I’m sure they didn’t let you rest easily. You chat before they sleep, right?”

            “How did you know? We had some girl talks ‘till they fell asleep….”

            “Those noonas really…”

            “You really are siblings….You inherited the chatterbox genes from your sisters…”

He chuckles.

 

            “It may be inconvenient for you to share a room with them….”

Aside from him, I never shared a room with other people before.

            “I’m fine really….I should be thankful because they let me squeeze in to their room.”

            “Just a warning, they snore.”

I smile.

            “By the way, why aren’t you asleep yet?” I ask after.

            “Maybe because you didn’t give me a goodnight kiss…”

            “You’re like a kid. How am I supposed to do that when we are surrounded by your family?”

I hear him sigh.

            “But you know what, I’m really happy that you get to meet my family and spend some time with them today.”

            “Me too…I’m happy that your mom finally gives me a chance.”

 

I didn’t expect that big change when we are on our way here but I am truly grateful that she finally considers our relationship. No only it lifted the burdens I’m feeling but also Jaejoong’s.

 

            “Didn’t I tell you, my mom is really a nice person…”

We were both quiet for a minute.

            “You know that I’m adopted, right?” he says after.

            “Hm.”

He once mentioned that but he didn’t give details. I didn’t ask for more because I know that he’ll tell me about it once he’s ready.

 

            “My biological parents divorced and so my birth mother decided to give me up to my parents for adoption since she was not confident in bringing up a child all by herself…”

I didn’t say anything and listen to him as he open his heart.

 

            “I grew up with eight older sisters. My parents raised us well up to this day and I cannot describe how grateful I am towards them. It probably wasn’t easy for ommoni and abbojji to raise another kid despite their age and big family but they still give me the same love and care they give my noonas. I never felt that I was neglected or treated differently and I’m happy because of that.”

I can feel his emotion even though I’m just hearing his voice.

 

            “They gave me everything…And I don’t know what would happen to my life if it wasn’t them who took me in. Some people might think that being adopted is something to be embarrassed about but it is not like that for me. I’ll always be proud to be the only son of Kims.”

 

He’s a better person than me---I thought. It was not easy for him but he managed to look at things positively.          

 

            “As for my biological parents, I talk to them once in a while. I reached out to them once I found out the truth. I’m also thankful that they brought me in this world. It’s a good thing that they let me have a happy family by making sure that the couple they’d give me with are good people. I’m lucky to have two pairs of parents, right?”

 

I nod. My tears fall from my eyes. I silently utter thanks to his parents for bringing him up. Without them, I wouldn’t have this wonderful man in my life. I would probably still be sulking with my anger and sadness if there’s no Kim Jaejoong in this world.            

 

I hear him sniff. I’m sure that he cries too.

 

            “You learned not only to receive love but to give as well….You have a wonderful family….Anyone who knows would feel jealous of you….” I say to him.

            “Your parents love you too…” he says. “Though your dad couldn’t do much for you….he’s still trying in his own little ways…”

 

My father talked to Jaejoong’s parents. I don’t know exactly what he said to change his mother’s perception but in the farthest corner of my heart, I want to thank him. I did forgive him but still my mind can’t forget…that’s why it’s still hard for me to meet him often.

 

            “Hm. I know…”

Silence reign between us once more.

            “Ugh…..” he left out a deep sigh. “Even though I know that you are just on the next room….Even if we are only a wall apart, I still miss you…” he says making me smile.

            “Which side are you on?” he asks.

            “Next to the wall..” I answer.

 

The three of us are on the floor. His seventh noona is lying next to the door while his youngest noona is in the middle. They gave me the side next to the wall to give me more space.

 

Suddenly, I hear some low taps on the thin wall.

 

            “Are you here?” he asks.

            “What are you doing?!” I look at his sisters to see if they were awakened but they’re not. “Your sisters might be disturbed!” I try to warn him in a low voice.

            “I’m now leaning on the wall…” he says not paying attention to what I just said.

I got what he means so I quietly scoot and lean sideward on that part of the wall.

            “You are now there, right?”

            “Hm.”

            “Now that I close my eyes…I feel like you are just next to me…”

I smile again. He’s weird at times….

            “Sleep now…we still have to go back to Seoul later…”

It’s already three in the morning and he needs to drive us back to Seoul later.

            “Hm…..Athena…”

            “What is it?”

            “I love you.”

My heart pounds because of happiness.

            “Love you..” I reply.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

[Author's Note]:

 

Happy Monday people!

Comment please. ^-^

Thank you to those who upvoted this fic!