Impression

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Hae Won’s POV

 

 

            “Hae Won ah, are you free tomorrow night?” Oppa asks while we are eating dinner.

 

I chew my food and check my schedule in mind.

            “Yup...why, Oppa?”

            “I’ll set up another date for you. Don’t ever ditch the next guy like what you did last time.”

I almost choke hearing that.

            “Oppa!”

            “Why?”

Hee Jun Oppa who’s joined us for dinner exchange stares with me.

 

            “Will you stop setting me up on dates?”

            “Why?” he repeated.

            “It’s because...I already got a boyfriend......” I shyly say.

            “W-what? Can you say that again?” he places his ear nearer. He can’t believe that those words will come out of me.

            “I said I already got a boyfriend...”

            “Wow! Since when?” he puts down his chopsticks. It seems like he’s really eager to know.

            “I’ve been dating him for a few months now...”

He smiles widely.

            “I didn’t know that you are sneaky....” he says in a teasing tone. “Okay....so what does he do?”

            “He’s....he’s a musician....”

            “Musician?” he stops and thinks before continuing. “Ahh....you must have met him at work? What kind of musician he is?”

I glance at Hee Jun Oppa. It’s really awkward to be talking about this stuff in front of him.

He smiles and turns to my Oppa.

           

            “You’ll be surprised.” He tells him.

Oppa’s eyes widen.

            “Do you know him? Why didn’t you tell me?”

Hee Jun Oppa shrugs his shoulders. “It will be good if you’ll hear it from Hae Won....”

Oppa looks at me.

            “He’s actually a singer...”

            “A singer?”

            “His name is Kim Junsu....he is a member of the group named JYJ.” I bit my lips.

            “So.....he sounds like a really famous guy....” Oppa smiles.

            “Do you know JYJ?” Hee Jun Oppa asks him teasingly.

Oppa glance at me.

            “O-of course I do! JYJ is so famous!”

            “Really? Then who are the other members? Which JYJ song do you know?” Hee Jun Oppa continues to .

            “Uh.....uhm...”

I smile.

            “I’ll introduce Junsu to you....” I say.

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

 

 

I look at Athena who’s sitting across from me. She’s totally immersed in reading a script while searching the net with her phone for some small researches.

 

So this is how serious she is when it comes to work.....no wonder she managed to rise on top and reached her status at such a young age.

 

 

            “What do you think you are doing?” she asks.

            “Huh?”
 

She looks at me.

 

            “What’s with this?” she says removing her feet that I trapped between mine under the table.

            “Should we get coffee?” I say.

            “What coffee? Didn’t we just have some?” she points the empty mugs with her pen.

            “Then....should we take a walk outside. It’s really quiet.”

 

We are together here in the recording studio for an hour and a half now but we are not really doing anything but work.

 

Athena puts her earphone on me and turns on the iPod. I remove them from my ears.

 

            “I mean...let’s go out....” I say.

She rolls her eyes.

            “Chincha.....That’s why I thought I shouldn’t be here...” she gathers her things.

            “Where are you going?”

            “To the agency.”

            “Why?”

            “You cannot concentrate on your work with me here.” She says looking at the empty notebook in front of me. I wasn’t able to write anything.

I hold on to her arm.

            “Don’t leave....I’ll get to write later...”

            “You can’t do that if I’m here....Dinner break is almost over…the crews will be here soon and I don’t want to disturb you guys while recording.”

            “It’s not like that. You can stay.”

She smiles.

            “I’ll continue reading this at home. Call me when you are done. Focus on it for now.....I’ll go now.” She says walking to the door.

 

 

I couldn’t stop her from leaving or she’ll see through my lies. I lied about work. She will find it weird if I keep hanging around her so for a few times now I lied to her by saying that I’m working or I’m doing something whenever we talk. Even today….I want to see her face but she wouldn’t see me since she thought I’m working in the recording studio but still, I kept asking for us to meet so she dropped by for a little while.

 

The door opens and one of the crews enter.

 

            “Kim Jaejoong sshi…..why are you here? There’s nothing to do here now….” He says.

            “Hm. I was just nearby so I decided to come.” I answer.

            “I see…” He goes to get some things. “I came for these….you want to go together?”

            “I’ll stay for a few minutes and leave after. You can go ahead.”

            “Okay. Just don’t forget to switch off the lights when you go.”

 

The door closes. I am alone in the room again. I stare at my notebook….I couldn’t write anything. I guess I’m not in the mood to compose music.

 

I lean my head to the headrest and close my eyes. Yoochun is out and taping for his drama while Junsu is in Jeju for an event. I can’t meet my friends since they have schedules too. Athena is studying some scripts for possible projects while I’m killing some time off here and doing nothing. I sigh again. I feel uneasy….I realized that pretending to be working or doing something is even harder than being busy for real.

 

 

            “Jaejoong ah…the movie didn’t turn out well in sales…Most of your projects and endorsements are cancelled. Yoochun and Junsu are busy with individual schedules. I think we should postpone your solo album too…There’s a big chance that we won’t make a profit if we will set up for a release now.”

 

 

            “It’s fine….you’ll get through this….” I utter to myself.

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

The next day I decided to go to Kwangjoo and visit my parents. It’s been a long time since I last saw them because I only get to see them two or three times a year.

 

 

            “I’m sorry but we are already close.” Omma says as she gathers some plates on the table.

I take the plates from her and put them into the kitchen sink.

            “Omo! My son….why are you here?” she says with her widen eyes.

I smile and start wiping the table.

            “What else? I miss you and father so I come to visit and see how you two are doing…”

            “Aigoo…this kid…you really surprised me..”

            “Are you alone? Where are the helpers? Father?” I ask.

            “Ki Chan came out for the last delivery while Yoon Ji is at the back, disposing the garbage. Your father couldn’t come today. His knee is aching again so I told him to stay at home instead.”

 

 

Father is over seventy years old so he’s getting weak because of some sickness.

 

            “Is he okay? Did he take medicines for his rheumatism?”

            “Aayyy…of course! Don’t you worry…By the way, have you eaten dinner?” she asks.

I shake my head.

            “Not yet.” 

            “I’ll get you something.”

Mom gets me some food and we eat together.

            “How’s the business?” I ask.

 

My parents own this restaurant for a long time now. At first, my noonas help them but they  started having their own lives to manage so now mother and father have to run the business with the help of some hired people. My parents are really old that I always tell them to just retire and enjoy life at home but they keep insisting to work. They always tell me that keeping themselves busy with the restaurant is the only thing that makes them occupied. My sibling and I give them money but they choose to put the money in the bank and continue to earn money on their own. Being active is good….they don’t want to feel useless.

 

            “There’s nothing new…people come to eat and we feed them.”

            “Lucky people…they get to eat your delicious cookings…” I comment.

            “How about your work at Seoul?” she asks.

 

Mother and father are not fond of watching TV. They only watch my shows. Thank God they are like that or else they will be worried because of the recent scandals.

 

            “Work is fine. My schedule is not hectic nowadays so I have time to see you.”

            “I like it….seeing my only son like this, I feel happy.” She says.

            “Omma….”

            “Hm?”

            “I’m seeing someone.”

            “Cheongmal? That’s good….that girl, is she pretty?” she asks with interest in her eyes.

I nod.

            “She is very pretty.” I say.

            “How did you meet her? What does she do?”

            “She’s an actress….we met at work.”

            “An actress? Must be really pretty….”

            “Should I bring her next time for you to meet her?”

Omma smiles widely.

            “Of course, you should. Bring her to our home. I’ll prepare a good meal for her.”

I smile because of happiness.

            “Yahhh….my son is a man now…You will finally bring home a girl to introduce to us…”    she says while tapping my shoulder.

 

We chuckle.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

 

            “Come to our house and meet my parents.”

I stop from un-buckling my seat belt. I look at Jaejoong next to me.

            “Huh?”

            “I said come to our house to meet my parents. I’ll introduce you to them.”

I smile crookedly.

            “Are you kidding?”

            “I’m serious. I visited them yesterday. I told them about you and they want to meet you. Let’s go there tomorrow….”

The smile on my face fades.

            “Tomorrow? D-do you think they will like me?”

He smiles.

            “Whaaaa….Athena is now worried about those things?” he utters with the amused tone.

            “They are your parents….”

            “I’m happy that you think that way. Yaahhh….my parents are really something….they have the power to make Athena this way.”

 

Tomorrow I’ll meet Jaejoong’s parents. I suddenly feel nervous just thinking about it.

 

            “Chincha….I never expected that being a girlfriend to someone is this hard…” I say while smiling.

 

I unbuckle my seatbelt.

 

            “See you tomorrow.”

            “Wait…give me a goodnight kiss first.” He closes his eyes and puckers his lips.

 

I wait for a few seconds before giving him a quick smack. He opens his eyes.

 

            “We can do better than that.” He says while leaning for another kiss.

I stop him by pushing his face lightly with my palms.

            “Go home and drive safely. Goodnight.” I say smiling as I go out of his car.

            “Go-goodnight…” he says with a child-like expression on his face.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

 

After dropping Athena off her house, I drive home. My phone rings. It’s my older sister’s name in the screen.

 

            “Noona…” I answer her call.

            “Jaejoong ah….ottokke?” she says with a worried tone.

            “Why, did something happen?”

            “I came by the house today. Mom is upset because of your relationship.”

            “Huh? Why would she feel upset? I talked to her yesterday. She is very happy and couldn’t wait to meet Athena.”

            “Yes she was happy until this morning. Father said that one of the customers in the restaurant told her about the recent scandals. She heard a lot of bad things about your girlfriend. She seems to dislike her after that. Mom is also upset that everyone found out about you dating before them.”

I swallow.

            “Aigoo, Jaejoong ah….you are in trouble.” She says.