Broken

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Athena's POV

 

 

I put the last plate inside the cabinet. I go to the living room after.

 

 

            “Omma, I'm done washing the dishes.” I say.

 Mom is sitting at the couch folding some clothes.

            “Omma, I'll help you.” I grab one and start folding.

            “I'm almost done...” she says and I just smile.

            “By the way, what time is it?” she looks at the wall clock.

            “Oh! It's time for son-in-law's drama!” she says and grabs the remote.

She turned it on to Jaejoong's sageuk drama.

            “You watch that?” I ask.

            “Of course...son-in-law is here so I have to see it.”

            “Huh...”

 

Jaejoong really got my mom's loyalty. We don't watch TV because we don't want to see any news about us but Jaejoong is an exception for her.

 

            “Omma, do you really like that guy?”

            “Yes of course! I think you suit each other...” she says with her eyes on Jaejoong.

I didn't say more and stare at the TV. The scene shows Jaejoong fighting with a sword.

            “Tell me, how's everything going for the two of you?” she asks.

I turn to her. She stopped watching and now staring at me.

            “We are fine...”

            “Just fine? He's not your boyfriend yet?”

            “Omma....you know how hard it is for me to open up my heart again...but now, we are both working on it.” I honestly say.

            “Well that's right....don't force yourself to do something right away....take your time. I'm happy that you are trying again...I think, you met a good man this time.” she says.

 

I give her a half smile. She looks back at the TV screen.

 

            “Oh, it's commercial break....I'll put these clothes back to the closet first..” she says and carries some clothes.

            “I'll help you.” I carry some folded clothes too.

 

Mom is walking a few steps away from me and suddenly, she stops. She touches her head and just loses consciousness.

 

I drop the clothes on the floor.

 

            “Omma!”

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jaejoong's POV

 

The curtains go down. People clap their hands as the play ends. Yoochun and I go to the dressing room to see Junsu.

            “Junsu ah, you did a great job!” I say.

            “It was beautiful.” Yoochun says.

            “Thank you hyung...” Junsu smiles.

            “Let's go out and eat.” Yoochun suggests.

            “Okay.”

I turn on my phone.

Ms. Go sent me a few messages asking where I am. Is something the matter? I decided to call her.

            “Jaejoong!” she answers.

            “I watched Junsu's play so I have to switch off my phone. What is it Ms. Go?”

I froze with what she said.

                        “Where is she?” I ask.

Ms. Go tells me the address in between her sniffs. She obviously cried too.

I feel like my entire body becomes cold as I hang up.

            “What happened hyung?” Yoochun asks.

            “I have to go...”

            “Why, what's the problem?” Junsu asks.

            “Athena's mom....she passed away..”

            “What?!” the two says in unison.

            “What happened?” Junsu asks after.

            “I don't know yet..”    

            “I'll go with you. Come on, let's go.” Yoochun says.

            “I'll just remove my make-up and change. I'll be five minutes behind you.” Junsu says.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Paparazzi are around while the entrance of the funeral hall is being blocked by the securities and bodyguards. I sent Ms. Go a message and she told us to meet her at the back side. Our car was allowed to enter.

 

 

 

            “What happened?” I ask her the moment I step out of the car.

 

            “Athena says that they were having a nice chat when she suddenly lose consciousness and fell in the floor. Athena brought her in the hospital but the doctors declared her dead. A major blood vessel in her brain burst. The doctors says that the patient might be suffering from constant headaches due to cerebral aneurysm after surviving a coma....Athena was not aware of it....her mom probably hides it from her all along.” she explains.

            “Where is she?” I ask.

            “Come inside..”

We enter a big room where her mom's funeral is held. The room is empty.

            “Why isn't anyone here?” Yoochun asks.

            “Athena told me not to let anyone in...Some of her colleagues came earlier but I have to send them away. They were not able to enter the hall....Athena wants to keep it all to herself.” she answers.

 

We see Athena sitting on her feet next to the funeral altar. Her mom's picture is displayed there with lots of white flowers.

I tell Yoochun to stay where he is standing and I go near Athena.

She is staring blankly to the air. She wears a black funeral hanbok.

            “Athena...” I call her name.

She looks at me with her blank eyes. I can't find the right words to say to her. I know that whatever I say won't be enough to lighten the heavy burden in her heart now.

I cup her face with my hand. She looks at me but I can say that she's not really seeing me. Her eyes are so dead and it hurts me to see her this way.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Junsu's POV

 

I arrive at the place. I was really surprised to see how much paparazzi are there. Athena's mom just passed away a few hours earlier but the press found out right away. I observe for a moment.

Some directors and celebrities are in the entrance. Athena's manager is talking and bowing to them. Some of them go back to their cars with a sad face. Does it mean that they are not allowing anyone inside? I sigh.

Then a car stopped. Senator Lee and his wife come out of it attracting paparazzi to them. The senator talks to Ms. Go and the latter decided to let them in.

I sent Yoochun hyung a message. He replies to go to the back. I drive to the back and I was allowed to enter.

            “What happened? The entrance is insane!” I say the moment I see Yoochun hyung.

            “Shush...” he says to me, stopping me to talk.

My attention goes to the senator approaching the funeral altar.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong's POV

 

I just finished paying my respect to the deceased. I was about to bow to Athena as a part of the funeral rites but the senator's arrival interrupt that.

 

 

            “M-Miri....” he utters. His face shows sadness as he walks towards the altar. It's like he could not believe what happened.

            “Miri....” his tears fall from his eyes.

Athena starts moving. Her blank expression turns into hate.

            “What are you doing here?” she stands up.

            “Ae Young ah....I just heard what happened...I came here the moment I found out.” he answers.

            “How dare you show up your face here? You even brought that woman with you in front of my mom?!” Athena says in a higher tone.

 

Madam Jang is standing near the door. She's quiet but her expression doesn’t hint any sympathy or remorse.

 

            “You don't have the right to be here.....you did this to her...My mother died because of the things you caused her! It's you who should have died not my mom!” She pushes him away.

Athena's tears fell as she hits the senator.

            “Athena!” From her back, I put my arms around her and pull her away.

            “Ae Young ah....let me see her for the last time...” The senator pleads in tears.

            “Go away! You murderer! It's because of you why my mom is here! You killed her!” Athena yells as she tries to free from my grasp.

            “Ae Young ah....please....” the senator continues to beg.

           “Leave! Don't show your face anyway near me again! You disgust me...Leave...now!” Athena yells hysterically.

The senator is now crying on his knees.

            “What else do you want?! Do you want to see me dead too?!”

Yoochun approaches the senator.

            “Senator, it will be the best for now if you leave....” I say still holding on to Athena.

            “Senator, let Athena be alone for now....” Yoochun says.

Senator Lee nods. He stands up and walks away slowly. He exits while wiping his tears with his hand. Madam Jang follows him out.

            “Ahhhh!!!!” Athena shouts with tears. She totally breaks down because of her pain.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

The funeral lasted for three days. In those three days, no one was granted entry aside from me, Yoochun, Park Ha, Junsu, and Hae Won. Senator Lee came again but Ms. Go didn't allow him inside again. Athena doesn’t want to sleep nor eat so I was forced to put some sleeping pills in her water. She gets to sleep in my lap for a moment but she wakes up and continues with her mourning.

 

 

After the cremation, the urn containing Ommoni's remains was handed over to Athena.

Her eyes are red from all the crying.

            “Athena, where do you plan to rest your mom's remains?” Ms. Go asks.

            “Do you want to put it on a cemetery or do you want to scatter her ashes in the sea?” she continues to ask.

Athena holds the urn tightly to her chest.

            “No...Omma is going home with me..” she answers.

Ms. Go looks at me and I nod.

I assist Athena to my car. Before I enter, I spotted a car on a distance. I'm sure it's the senator. I sigh and get inside the car.

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

No Min Woo's POV

 

I stand in a distant looking at Athena. She's holding her mother's urn. Her face is pale and she looks fragile. My heart aches for her. I want to go next to her and hug her tightly but I couldn't. I tried to go to the funeral but her manager didn't let me enter.

I wasn't allowed to see her but that Jaejoong was?

 

            “How can this happen to her? It's so unfortunate...” Gyuri sobs next to me. She wipes the tears in her eyes with a handkerchief.

I couldn't just stand here any longer. I step forward but Gyuri holds my arm

            “Min Woo ah, don't make this more complicated. Ae Young is having a really tough time now, don't add to it.” she says.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Park Ha's POV

 

I look at the car driving away. Saying 'I'm sorry for your loss' is the only interaction I have with Athena. Though I wasn't able to talk to her, I really feel sorry for her. She's really grieving painfully right now. If not crying, she's staring to nothing.

 

            “Yoochun hyung, we'll go now.” Junsu says.

            “Okay. Drive safely.” he replies then nod to Hae Won, Junsu's company.

Junsu sshi turn to me.

            “Park Ha sshi, it's sad that we have to meet in this kind of situation. Don't worry, we'll get to properly meet you next time.” he says to me.

            “It's not a big deal to me.” I answer.

Hae Won holds my hand.

            “Park Ha unni, bye for now.” she says.

            “Take care.”

Hae Won is a nice girl. Somehow, we became friends after seeing each other in this funeral for two days. Junsu introduced her to me as his friend but I can say that he likes her more than a friend. I won't be surprised to know that they start going out. They look good together.

Yoochun holds my hand and we go to his car.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jaejoong's POV

 

I sigh in relief. I finally found her.

Ms. Go called me panicking because Athena disappears without saying anything. It's been two days since her mom was cremated. Within those two days, she kept sleeping because whenever she opens her eyes, she remembers that her mom is already gone so she chooses to sleep day and night. Ms. Go looks after her whenever I'm out for filming 'till I arrive at night to switch places with her.

 

According to her, she went out for a short while to get something but find Athena gone when she came back.

I turn the knob and enter.

 

 

            “Athena, what are you doing here?” I walk towards her.

Athena is sitting in front of her mom's old bed in this hospital room when she was still in coma.

           “Old habit....before, whenever I miss her I'll just go here because I know, I'll find her here.” her eyes show tears.

I stand next to her listening.

            “We were just chatting...the next thing I know, they are telling me that she's gone....how do they expect me to believe that? Please tell me that I'm just dreaming...” tears rolls down her cheeks. I couldn't count anymore how much tears she shed after her mom died.

 

I close my eyes. God knows how much I want to tell her those words to make her pain stop but I know that even if I lie, it won't change the truth that her mom is really gone.

 

            “Did she just wake up to say goodbye to me like this?”

 

            “Your mom, she didn't mean to do it this way....I'm sure, she's sad too that she had to depart. She'll be really worried if she sees you crying all the time. ” I say.

 

            “How am I supposed to live now? All these years....I face life no matter how hard it is because I know that  there is mom that I have to protect...that she needs me....now, how will I do it? I don't have a purpose anymore...”

 

I go down on my knees and turn her to me. My heart is breaking seeing her like this. She's at her weakest point right now and I'm really worried. Before, no matter how hard things are, she keeps a straight face and deals with it strongly but this one gives me the impression that it might kill her.

 

            “You still have acting...Acting is one of the things you love, right? Also, me...can't I be a reason for you to keep living? I need you....Please fight this, I’ll hold your hand and help you heal...” My tears fell too while I'm looking at her.

            “Why is my happiness always short-lived? Whenever something makes me happy, it is being taken away from me just like that...What did I do wrong? Why is this happening to me?”

I embrace her.

            “You didn't do anything wrong....It's not your fault that these things happened...Don't think that you lost everything...You still have me...”

I feel her trembling hands embrace me back.

            “I'm afraid Jaejoong.....you might be taken away too...what will I do then?” she cries.

            “No, you will never lose me...that won't happen...I won't leave you because...I love you.”

I hold her tighter and she does the same while crying.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

I drive smoothly because I don't want to wake Athena up from her sleep.

I stopped the car when we reached her house. I look at her from the passenger seat and reach out my hand to touch her cheek.

 

            “Omma....don't leave me..” she whispers in her sleep. A tear escape from her right eye.

Oh God....please help her get though this....I promise I'll protect her with all of me. I will walk down with her on every rough road she'd take. I'll shower her with love....the love that she truly deserves.