House Gathering & Jae's Birthday

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Park Ha’s POV

 

 

            “She lives in a penthouse?” I ask.

            “Yeah.”

            “Have you been here before?”

            “Nope. Jaejoong hyung usually visits Athena sshi alone.”

 

I nod. We walk along the wide parking lot of the building. Yoochun picks me up today and told me that we will go to Athena’s house. Junsu and Hae Won will be there as well.

 

Yoochun transfers the paper bag in his other hand to hold my hand. He’s eager when it comes to skinship. He often holds my hand like it’s his habit which I like.

 

We stopped in front of the elevator.

 

            “Hyung!”

 

We turn around to see who called. It’s Junsu sshi. Walking beside him is Hae Won.

            “You just arrived?” Yoochun asks.

            “Yes.” Junsu replies.

            “Park Ha unni, annyeong!” Hae Won greets me happily.

 

I smile. She’s still as friendly as she used to be the first time I met her during the funeral around two months ago

 

            “Annyeong, Hae Won ah.” I answer.

Junsu bows slightly at me in which I return.

            “Now, you’re our sister-in-law...” Yoochun says to her.

            “Sister-in-law?” I utter.

            “Junsu ah, aren’t you going to re-introduce Hae Won to us?” Yoochun says to Junsu.

            “Park Ha noona by the way, Hae Won is now my girlfriend..” he shyly admits.

I smile because that didn’t come as a surprise to me at all.

            “Ah........” I turn to Hae Won. She blushes but decided to link arms with me instead. I really like her because she’s nice and comfortable to be with.

 

The elevator opens so the four of us enters.

 

            “I think this one is quite small...” I comment. There are only us inside but not enough space left.

            “I heard that this elevator is only for Athena sshi’s use.” Junsu says.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Athena’s POV

 

I scan over the outdoor table to check if I place everything needed there. Yoochun and Junsu will be coming over with their girlfriends for a visit.

 

I enter the house and go directly to the kitchen where Jaejoong is busy preparing the foods. With the way he moves, I can say that he knows what’s he’s doing in the kitchen.

 

 

            “Are you done setting up the table?” he asks while frying the dumplings he personally

prepared.

 

            “Yeah.” I look around.

 

The kitchen counter is filled with different ingredients. My kitchen turns to be like the ones you see on a cooking program with him as the chef. Jaejoong left the stove and pick up the bowl containing different vegetables. I snatch it from him and wash the vegetables myself.

 

 

            “Leave it to me. The dumplings are almost finished so start frying the chicken.” I say

referring to the sweet and spicy chicken he marinated.

            “Can you cook?” he asks.

 

I secretly roll my eyes. It’s just japchae.....I’m not that ignorant. Of course I know how to cook. I grew up in poverty so definitely, I know how to do house chores. I’m glad my mom taught me everything.

 

            “I used to be delusional....” I answer. I remember how I prepared meals for that No Min Woo and Nam Gyuri during my trainee days. The old me believed in ‘happy endings’ so she had set her mind of debuting as an actress and marry that first love when the right time comes. She wanted to have a nice family where she would also be a perfect wife and mom.

 

            “So you.....prepared the traditional lunchbox for him back then?” Jaejoong says in a low voice. It’s not like a question but more of his thought that he accidentally slipped out.

 

I chose not to respond and I continue to chop the vegetables. Jaejoong doesn’t have to know more about the things that happened between that person and I. I think it’s no longer important to open up about a relationship that ended before I even met him.

 

I feel his stares on me. I don’t know what he’s thinking right now.

 

            “Uhm....put this on....” he says afterwards.

 

He took something from paper bag. He goes on my back and help me put on the apron.

 

            “You bought two?” I ask.

            “Hm.” He replies while tying my apron.

 

The topic was dropped like that and we resume cooking. Jaejoong fries the chicken while I work on the other side of the stove. He looks at how I cook but he’s not dictating me on what to do.

 

After sautéing the vegetables, I pour them over the cooked noodles. I mix them with my hand.

 

Jaejoong comes to my side and I feed him some for taste test. I haven’t cooked for quite a long time so I don’t know if my skill got rusty or what.

 

He says that it is delicious, even telling me ‘You pass’ like I’m in a cooking class with him as my teacher.

 

From the pan, Jaejoong transfers the last chicken piece to the plate. Not long after, the doorbell rings.

 

            “I’ll get it.” He says and hurries to the door.

 

I taste the japchae I made. I think I cooked it well.

 

 

            “Hyung!” I heard Yoochun and Junsu’s voice.

            “Come in...” Jaejoong invites them in.

            “Here.” Yoochun says.

            “Whaa...makgeolli? Oh...Hae Won sshi, Park Ha sshi...I’m glad to see you”

 

I heard some females’ voice. I’m sure they are the girls I saw during mom’s funeral. This would be the first time that I will entertain visitors in my house. I breathe deeply and wipe my hands in my apron before finally going to the living room.

 

            “Oh, there’s Athena sshi...” Yoochun says.

            “Wow...couple aprons huh?” Junsu comments looking at the apron I’m wearing.

Jaejoong is wearing his apron too.

            “Annyeong haseyo...”

            “Good evening.”

 

The two girls greeted me. I give them a genuine smile.

 

            “Welcome to my house.” I say.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

We eat dinner together. Apart from the foods we prepared, Jaejoong also make some kimchi pancakes that everybody enjoys with the makgeolli Yoochun brought. Hae Won and Park Ha recognized his cooking ability while Yoochun and Junsu brag about how Jaejoong cooks good food for them.

 

They tell different stories about they’re day to day experiences. I gladly listen and comment once in a while. When JYJ is together, they are non-stop. They keep talking that you won’t be able to do anything but listen. I admire their humour and I think that is the charm they have. Jaejoong and Yoochun make fun of their maknae Junsu which he doesn’t take seriously. I bet he’s already used to it.

 

 

            “Hyung don’t you feel like we are on a casino right now?” Yoochun says as we start playing cards. Everybody is sitting on the floor. Only Yoochun, Junsu, and Jaejoong plays while the three of us watch.

            “Casino, why?” Junsu asks.

            “Because we are playing with beautiful girls besides us...” Yoochun answers.

            “So you like going to casino with beautiful girls?” Park Ha confronts him.

            “Hm...I like it.” Yoochun answers with a nod.

            “Is that so?” Park Ha says sarcastically.

            “Trouble....” Jaejoong teases him.

            “Not like that! I’m just saying I like playing cards with you beside me....it’s like a casino but it doesn’t mean I like going to casino with other girls...” Yoochun explains.

 

I smile. They look so natural together. Yoochun is a funny guy and Park Ha seems to be an outgoing person. She is a simple beauty and could blend well with guys. Maybe it’s because she works with lots of men just like what she said so she’s used to men’s atmosphere. Park Ha is like ‘one of the boys’ though she’s feminine too. I think Yoochun and Park Ha are friends turned lovers. They joke around lightly so they fit together.

 

Sitting on my left is In Hae Won. She has the pure and feminine image. If Park Ha prefers jeans and blouses, Hae Won is not afraid to embrace her feminine side by wearing dresses or skirts.

 

Junsu is telling Hae Won about the card game since the latter isn’t familiar with it. This is a couple that has a cute feeling around them. They don’t have as much skinship like Park Ha and Yoochun but still people could feel that they’re in love. There were instances that these two blushes together like teenagers. Anyway, Junsu looks manly earlier when he drank the makgeolli that’s supposed to be Hae Won’s because she doesn’t drink alcohol.

 

Both Junsu and Yoochun chose to love non-showbiz girls and they seem happy and satisfied. Sometimes, being with a non-showbiz person is better than with a public figure. I think that kind of relationship is better...simple and private...less trouble.

 

The game goes on. Junsu plays as Hae Won observes. Jaejoong can play his cards well as I do some suggestions once in a while. On the other side, Yoochun and Park Ha are having small arguments about the cards. Park Ha is getting frustrated watching over him that brings laughter to all of us.

 

Meeting my ‘brother-in-laws’ and new acquaintances like Park Ha and Hae Won feels nice too. Having them in my house doesn’t feel bad at all. The house is filled with laughter and noise contrast to the quiet environment whenever I’m alone.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Hae Won’s POV

 

The JYJ boys are busy doing the dishes as a punishment for losing. The last card game was between the men and women and fortunately, Park Ha unni is a hustler with it. Athena unni can play well too so we won even if I don’t help much.

 

The three of us goes to the veranda.

 

            “You got a great view from here...Athena unni.” I say.

She looks at me.

            “Is it okay if I call you unni?” I ask.

            “I guess its fine...” she answers.

We look at the beautiful city view below.

            “Park Ha unni, how did you and Yoochun sshi meet?”

            “Through fanfics...”

            “Fanfics?”

Athena unni and I look at her.

            “Uhm...those are stories written by fans on the internet about the artists they like. I write Yoochun fanfics. I do that for a hobby.”

            “Interesting...”

            “I never had an idea that he reads it.”

            “He did?!”

            “Yeah funny I know but it’s true. We became chat friends first because of that....You don’tknow how shocked I was when I met him personally.”

            “That’s cool.....”

            “How about you? How did you meet Junsu?”

I smile.

            “The truth is....I find it funny too.”

They stare at me waiting for my answer.

            “I came back here in Korea and decided to confess to my first love...I waited for him on a restaurant but sadly, I got stood up.”

            “Really?”

I nod.

            “Junsu is there and he approached me...He got stood up too that day so we decided to have a meal together since it’s quite embarrassing to leave the place without even eating.”

            “He got stood up too?”

            “I found out later that it was his brother...”

            “Ah....then you met again and work together on a play?”

            “Yes. That’s what happened...”

            “Wow...it’s like fate...I only read things like this...”

 

I blush. Then Park Ha unni turns to Athena sshi. She’s quietly listening to our conversation.

 

            “How about you, Athena sshi? Didn’t you first meet Jaejoong sshi on the MV shoot?” she asks. Athena unni look at us for a few seconds before answering.

            “Yes. Uhm...I actually met all of them at the same time for that MV.”

            “That’s nice....but I think celebrities find it hard to be in a relationship...” I utter.

 

She smiles politely. Athena unni is different from Park Ha unni’s character. She is not much of a talker but I can say that she really listens. We weren’t able to talk the first time we met but somehow we get to converse today. I thought she will be intimidating but she’s not really like that. During the game, she strikes some funny punch lines breaking that ‘intimidating’ Athena.

 

After attending her mom’s funeral, I started recognizing her from the magazines and TV. It’s like she’s often being followed by the paparazzi like a Hollywood star. I also heard from my friend that Athena is one of the most controversial actresses here in Korea because of the different scandals she got involved with. It’s like everybody always has a say on things that she do or say pushing her to isolate herself from people. That’s the only reason I see why she’s somehow distant but I think she’s trying her best to get along with the rest since she let strangers like us in her home.

 

Kim Jaejoong is her boyfriend and I think they’re serious with each other. The way he looks at her confirms how smitten he is. Athena unni also has that glow and smile of an in love woman when she’s interacting with him. I don’t know much about their love story but I guess it is a very special one.

 

They are a case of ‘opposite attracts’. Athena unni is a bit reserved and has a strong female aura while Jaejoong sshi has the extrovert and jolly personality but still, observing them makes me smile. They look absolutely happy. Their body language simply says it all because it brings out the love in them. Sweet, decent, and real love....

 

 

We talked about random things and laugh together on some funny thoughts. It was comfortable to be with Athena and Park Ha. I feel like I earned new friends or sisters.

           

            “Can we exchange numbers?” I ask.

They both look at me.

            “I was just thinking if we could hang out one day…Just the three of us like friends…” I add.

            “Give me your phone.”

 

I hand over my cell phone to Park ha unni and she types in her number. Then I turn to Athena unni.

 

            “Sure.” She smiles and Park Ha gives her my cellphone.

            “Wait….” Athena says. “I don’t know my own number…”

We chuckle because of that. In the end, I gave her mine and she gives my cell a ring.

 

            “What are you ladies talking about?” Jaejoong sshi appears with Yoochun sshi and of course, my cute Junsu. 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

 

            “Looks like you’ll get to celebrate your birthday here in the set….” Seung Hun hyung says.

 

Today’s taping takes longer and we’re still not yet done so we guess that we’ll be shooting ‘till  morning today.

 

            “That’s unavoidable hyung…”

 

He smile and gives me a slight tap on the shoulder before moving for his next take. I open my inbox and read Athena’s message from this afternoon.

 

            Schedule is too tight….after this, I’ll be flying to Busan for a CF promo.

            I think I won’t be able to celebrate your birthday with you tomorrow…

            Let’s celebrate once I get back.

 

I breathe out. I was really hoping that we can be together for my birthday but that won’t be happening now.

 

Then my phone rings. It’s Athena.

 

            “Athena…”

            “What time is it?”

I look at the time on the phone for a moment.

            “Twelve midnight.” I answer.

            “Happy Birthday.” She greets.

            “Thank you…” at least she gives me the first greeting.

            “What are you doing now?” she asks.

            “I’m on a break for now. Filming won’t be finished until morning.”

            “I see…you look tired..”

            “Huh?”

Could she be? I look around.

            “Where’s your officer costume? Why are you wearing that faded clothes?”

I started smiling. She’s here somewhere.

            “It’s because I have a pitiful character….” I answer.

            “Should I comfort Kim Kyung Tak or Kim Jaejoong?”

My smile gets wider.

            “Where are you?”

            “Take three steps forward..”

I follow her instruction.

            “Turn to your left.” “Turn to your right…..”

            “Aishh…” I voice out. She even has the mood to fool around.

She chuckles.

            “Alright…look at the equipment van.”

 

I turn around and spot the huge equipment van. A car slowly appears behind it. The tinted window rolls down and she waves at me.

 

            “Where are you going?” my manager approaches me and asks.

            “It won’t be long…” I answer

            “Jaejoong!”

I ignore him and go towards the car.

 

I sit in the passenger’s side and shut the door close.

 

            “How could you be here?” I ask.

            “I escaped…”

            “Escaped?!”

            “We only have less than an hour.” She says.

 

Athena immediately puts on a party hat on my head. She’s wearing one too. She stares at me and smile.

            “What?”

            “The party hat doesn’t go well with your clothes….” She chuckles. “You look like a beggar on your birthday…”

 

The drama is approaching its end so I often look rugged these days.

 

She opens a small thermos jug and fills its cap with soup.

 

            “Here..”

            “Seaweed soup? Did you prepare this?” I ask before drinking.

            “It might not be very tasty since I prepared that in a hurry…”

            “It’s great.”

 

Next is that she brings out a small cake and light the single candle on top of it. She clears her throat.

 

 

            “Happy Birthday to you….Happy birthday to you…Happy birthday Dear Jaejoong…..Happy birthday….to…you…”

 

 

I look at her as she sings. I’m really happy that she made time just to be here and celebrate my birthday with me even only here in the car.

 

            “Blow the candle…”

 

 

I wish to celebrate my birthday with the same woman next year….then the year after that…and the years after that…

 

I blow the candle.

            “Yey….” She cheers.

            “I’m really happy that you’re here.” I say.

            “Me too…before we eat the cake, let me give you my gift…” she pass the cake to me.

            “You even prepared a gift?”

            “Uh-huh…”

 

She suddenly holds on to my clothes and pulls me closer. She gives me smacks on the lips. I froze with the cake in my hand and I couldn’t close my eyes.

 

            “There’s your twenty seven kisses...” she says after.

I finally get my senses back. I smile.

            “I love that gift….encore please?”

            “Encore….?”

I nod. She comes closer and spread some icing on my lips.

            “That’s your encore….” She mutters.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

[Author’s Note]:

 

Their relationship is smooth sailing for now but how long can they keep it a secret?