Impression [part 2]

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Athena’s POV

 

 

I gaze myself in the mirror. I chose to wear a simple dress and put only a blush on and lip tint over powder as make up because I don’t want her parents to think that I’m an extravagant woman. I also don’t want to come empty handed so I bought some fruits and set them beautifully on a  basket.

 

I smile to myself. It is like what Jaejoong said last night---I want to make a good impression. I’ve never really exerted effort to pleasing people before. If people like me, I’m grateful but if they don’t, then it’s fine. However, this is different. I truly hope for them to like me for Jaejoong. Their approval will be a relief over the burden I’m receiving from sasaengs.

 

I breathe in before leaving the house. What kind of people do Jaejoong’s parents are? Under what kind of family he was raised? He knows about my family but I don’t know anything beside the fact that he has a big family.

 

 

            “Athena!”

 

I see his smiling face. I ride his car.  Jaejoong takes the fruit basket from me and put it on the backseat.

 

            “You even prepare this?” he asks.

            “I don’t think I should come empty handed.”

            “My parents are not the type to mind even if you come without anything.”

 

He starts the engine and we drive into the wide road. He reaches for my hand after a while.

 

            “Your hands are cold.” He says.

            “Huh?”

He smiles at me.

            “Relax. Don’t be nervous. Everything will be fine.” He says comforting me.

 

He can say how I feel at the moment. I feel nervous. I was never put on such situation before so I have no idea how to act. I’m looking forward to meet his parents but I’m anxious, nervous, afraid, and worried…..

 

            “Let me tell you some heads up about my parents…my father is a timid person. He doesn’t talk much but he smiles a lot making people around him be in a good mood. You don’t have to try hard because he’s easy to please. As for my mom….she’s cheery. She is a great cook…I learned to cook from her. I think they’ll like you once they meet you. Just be yourself. I know you’ll do just fine.”

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Their house has a warm aura. It’s tidy and organized in every corner. There are also lots of photos of the family. His father is timid like what he said but he seems a nice and warm person to me. Three of Jaejoong older sisters are here too. They are nice and talkative. They like joking around like him. I guess it runs in the blood.

 

On the other hand, his mother is quiet. She stays in the kitchen after being introduced to me. I excuse myself and go to the kitchen. There, I see her preparing the foods.

 

            “Ommoni, is there something I can help you with?” I approach her with a smile.

She seems to be surprised to see me there.

            “Uhm…”

I see the plates, knife, and chopped board she used in the sink.

            “I’ll wash these…” I volunteer and wash them.

            “You should put on some gloves and apron. Your dress will be wet.” She says.

            “Don’t worry ommoni…I’m fine with it.” I answer.

 

She continues to work on the stove. I silently breathe out. What should I say to open up a conversation? Praises like ‘You have a beautiful house’ or ‘You are lucky to have a nice husband and kids’ are too shallow for me. She will probably think that I’m trying to impress her. I don’t like that kind of person either.

 

            “Does Jaejoong often visit you here?” I ended up telling her.

            “Anni….he comes only two or three times a year.” She answers shortly.

She’s not looking at me at all.

            “He’s probably really busy….Your son is really working hard. He’s doing great, you must be proud.” I say but she didn’t answer back.

 

I see her trying to carry the pot so I move.

 

            “Let me help you with that Ommoni.”

            “Stay there.”

I am astonished with her cold tone.

            “You can now go back to the living room.”

            “But….I want to help you..”

            “I can manage….if I need help, my daughters are there for me to call. You can help me if you will just stay with the rest.”

 

The red light flickered in my mind. Did I do something wrong?

 

            “Also, please stop calling me ‘Ommoni’….I feel uncomfortable.” She says.

I swallow.

            “Yes, I will. Jesonghamnida.” I bow before returning to the living room.

            “What did you do in the kitchen?” Jaejoong asks in my ear.

            “I chat a little with your mom.” I say without telling him details.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

            “I don’t like her.” I hear Jaejoong’s mother declare.

 

I stop from stepping into the kitchen. Jaejoong and his parents are here so I decided to go and see them but I accidentally hear what they are talking about.

 

            “Omma…why are you acting like that?”

            “I told you not to bring her but still you did.”

            “If you are still upset because I told you late—“

            “It is not only the reason. She’s a woman with a bad background. She dated a lot of men, she’s arrogant, and she is a drug addict too. Aren’t these enough for me to dislike her?”

 

            “Omma…that scandal about her using drugs is not true. Also, she’s not bad. If you’ll just try to get to know her…you’ll see her in a different light. Abeojji…” he tries to ask for his father’s help.

            “Try to understand you mother…she’s not being like this out of whim.”

            “Are you saying that you don’t like her too?”

            “It’s not that. I’m in the middle. I just want to keep peace among all of us.” His father says in a calm tone.

            “I bring her here hoping that you give us your blessing….I didn’t expect that you judge her because of what people say. I’m disappointed and I’m sorry too. But, Athena is someone I love. I’m happy with her and no matter what people say….I don’t care. Even if it’s you…”

 

I can say how sad Jaejoong is with this conflict with his mother. I shouldn’t have come. I only made people uncomfortable and sad.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

We take our places around the dinner table. Jaejoong is trying to be cheery though I know the truth. His father is civil. He offers me some the food generously. His mother is quietly eating while his sisters are speaking but they aren’t joking like earlier. They must read the situation. The atmosphere is awkward and uncomfortable.

 

I feel like I’m getting suffocated. I cannot even eat properly because it feels like I’m swallowing big lumps. Everyone stops talking and no sounds can be heard apart from the sounds made by the cutlery.

 

I feel Jaejoong’s hand squeezing mine under the table. I know that he is trying to comfort me. I give him a half smile.

 

The cold shoulder his mom is giving me gives me the feeling that I’m not welcome and I know why. She found out about me and she didn’t like it. Should I hate her for that?

 

Though it’s hard, I did my best to finish the food out of respect. The phone in my pocket vibrated. I know that Ms. Go is here. I sent her a message earlier to come and pick me up.

 

 

            “I’m sorry but I have to leave now.” I say. All their eyes are mine. “Something important came up and I need to go. Please forgive my rudeness…” I stand up.

 

I was about to step away but I couldn’t stop myself from saying what’s on my mind.

 

            “Thank you for the food though I must admit that this is the most uncomfortable dinner I had. Despite that, I’m still grateful for accepting me in your house. I get to see where Jaejoong spend his childhood and meet the people he loves. Thank you for giving me some of your time.” I bow to them and head to the door.

 

            “Athena.” Jaejoong follows me and hold my wrist.

He looks apologetic. I smile at him to somehow ease his worry.

            “Don’t worry, I’m just okay….I’m sorry I wasn’t able to please your parents but there would always be another time, right? Don’t mind about me and go back to finish your food. You don’t get to spend much time with them so don’t waste it. I’ll go back to Seoul for work…..call me after okay?”

 

I leave that house with a sad feeling.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Park Ha’s POV

 

 

I was reading the newspaper and an article caught my attention----Kim Jaejoong and Athena were spotted on the neighbourhood where the former’s family live. The news states that Athena has been introduced by Jaejoong’s to his parents.

 

I sigh and stop reading. Myung Hee comes out of the bedroom. She doesn’t have a place to stay at the moment so I took her in for a couple of days.

 

            “Still feeling guilty?” she asks while yawning.

I didn’t reply and goes to the kitchen. She follows me.

            “Nobody will know so don’t worry. Come to think of it, you helped them in a way right? If you didn’t do what you did, then they would be hiding their relationship and won’t be as free as they are now.” She says.

 

I close my eyes and breathe in for a moment before turning to her.

 

            “It is something that we shouldn’t be glad of. Yes, I told that reporter about their relationship....but why did I do that? It is because I have to save you from your debt.”

 

 

I feel truly guilty about that. Seeing Kim Jaejoong and Athena attacked by the public scrutiny deepens my guilt. I am forced to do beyond my principle for the sake of helping a friend in need.

 

            “They are humans too like us....they get hurt because of what we do...Myung Hee ah....stop it. Start living a normal life. Get a job, study again, and live appropriately.”

 

She looks at me with sad eyes before trying to smile a bit.

 

            “You know that I’m not good in studying, right? I don’t know anything aside from being a sasaeng.....I’m not as good as you Park Ha...I cannot turn my life around.”

 

I sit next to her.

 

            “Don’t be hopeless...You have a good heart....I’m sure it’s not too late for you to change your ways..”  

 

Myung Hee wasn’t able to finish school and so she focused most of her time chasing idols 24/7. She’s also the person who helped me survive here in Seoul when I ran away from my ex-boyfriend so we treat each other as a family. I feel sorry about leaking Athena and Jaejoong’s relationship, but I know that I saved an important person in my life though I had to go against my will.

 

            “I’ll find a new place to stay by tomorrow.” She says.

            “Huh? Why? I’m not telling you to go...you can stay as much as you want.”

            “A sasaeng like me shouldn’t stay in Park Yoochun’s girlfriend’s house. He knows my face so he’ll know the moment he see me here. I know you worry about it...don’t worry, I screwed up about that money but  I will do my best to cover your relationship with the others....You are like my younger sister, let this unnie protect you in this little way....”

 

I feel a bit sad.

 

            “Myung Hee ah....I’m sorry...”

            “What are you sorry for? It’s natural for you to fall in love...you are just one lucky lady because one of the Gods fell for you...I don’t have any feelings for Park Yoochun....I love Yunho...” she says comforting me.

 

She chugs down the coffee in the cup.

 

            “Also....your housemate doesn’t seem to like me either...I feel like she’s choking me with her stares.” She jokes making us chukle.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

[Author's Note]:

 

Yes....Park Ha has a connection with sasaengs. She used to be one of them (not really...but since her friend Myung Hee is a DBSK sasaeng, she usually goes with her before explaining why she's familiar with them.) I dropped some hints about her being behind the Jae-Athena scandal in previews chapters I just don't know if you got it....

 

Anyway, Jae's mom doesn't like Athena...what will she do? 

 

As for Jaejoong, one by one the downsides of being with Athena is hitting him....how far his love for her will get him? Like my question in the foreword, will he risk his career for the sake of his love for this Baddest Chick?