Confront

The Baddest Chick in the Game

 

Athena's POV

 

I silently enter the house.

 

            “Ae Young ah...” Mom calls but I ignore it.

           

She asked me to sit and try to have a meal with that person as a family but I wasn't able to last for five minutes. It was so awkward...the air was too heavy and I felt like I couldn't breathe so I stormed out. Omma followed me home.

 

            “Ae Young ah...talk to me.” she requests.

            “What do you want me to say?” I ask in a cold tone.

            “Ae Young ah...I'm the one who contacted him. I want the three of us to have at least a meal together.”

            “What? Why would you do that?”

I turn to her. Mom's face is now filled with tears.       

            “Ae Young ah, he's your father and the three of us are family.”

            “What family?! The only family here is you and me, have you forgotten about that? We lived all these years without him, why do you have to think that we still need him in our life?”

I'm too angry that my tears fall without my control.

            “Ae Young ah, It's been for long...forgive him...forgive your father...”

            “Even kneeling down won't be enough to forgive him. I will never forgive that person.”

            “Ae Young ah, your father--”

            “I only have you. I don't need a father. After all the things he had done, we can never be a family again.”

She shook her head.   

 

            “Don't tell me....Do you....Are you—?” I couldn't even say the word.

She didn't say anything but her tears are enough confirmation. She still love and treasure that person in her heart. I'm shock with what I found out.

            “Don't you ever learn?!” I shout at her. My tears make my view cloudy.

            “You spent years waiting for a husband who never came back. You worked days and nights to fulfill the duties he should have done himself. He left you for another woman without even saying sorry. When you met him again, he didn't even spend a single glance at your face. He put you aside and let you cry and be hurt by yourself. When you fell on a coma, he never tried to reach out a single help. Are those easy to forgive to you?!” I yell to the top of my lungs because of the mix frustration, anger, and pain I'm feeling right now.

 

She holds on to my two arms.

            “Ae Young ah! Ae Young ah!” she keeps crying.

            “Why do you have to make yourself look pitiful like that? Are you still holding on to the hollow promises he gave you? Do you really think that he loved you? Omma, you are a fool...do you know that? Why do you have to love a man who don't respect and love you?..... We lived this pathetic life because of you, do you know that? Don't you know that I hate you because you are this weak?”

 

She didn't say anything and both of us stay crying like that for a moment.

 

I wipe the tears in my cheek.

 

            “Why are you crying? He doesn't deserve your tears.  Stop it...don't cry anymore.” I say but she still cries.

 

I slowly remove her hands from holding to my arms.

 

            “You are a fool, Omma...a fool...”

She falls on her knees. I left her there and lock myself in my room. I cry and cry till I feel numb.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong's POV

 

 

 

I shook my head and shut my eyes tightly. He might be her first love, so what? It's not a big deal. I won't let that kind of thing get into my head.

 

I dial Athena's number but it just keeps ringing. She's probably working now.

I left out a deep sigh.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Park Ha's POV

 

            “There. Make sure that you’ll impress him this time, okay?” Chae Kyung puts down the clothes and shoes that she lent me for my blind date this weekend.

            “Do you think its okay? I’m really embarrassed to show my face to him...”

The guy that I stood up last time allowed to set another date for our meeting.

            “Don’t think about that anymore. Remember, he told me personally that he’s willing to set another date with you? I guess, he must really like you since he saw your picture the first time. Just show up this time and do your best to erase the not so good first impression you had.” She says.

I stand up and pick up the powder blue casual dress and go in front of the mirror to see if it will look fine with me.

            “Letting your hair down will suit that attire.” She comments.

Recently, I kept thinking about Yoochun. I think I’ve fallen for him but what can I do? He hasn’t talked to me since he called me that night. If that confession is really for me, then he should be appeared in front of me the next day.

I should go on this date. Probably meeting another guy will take my mind from this.

           

            “Have you heard about the hottest gossip now?”

            “H-huh?” I awaken from my own thinking.

            “Do you know that Athena is Senator Lee’s illegitimate child? She is his child from an illicit affair...”

            “Where did you get that?”

            “It’s on the tabloids. Someone exposed that dark secret they’ve been hiding from public for so long. According to that column, the senator’s wife and daughters knew about Athena but kept mum about it. Now I know why Athena has a suspiciously clean background. Nobody knows anything about her family and it is because the Lee’s are covering it up.”

 

It reminds me that Yoochun once said that Kim Jaejoong is pursuing her. Does he know about it?

 

            “Maybe that’s just a rumour they made up.” I say.

           “No, it’s real! The column came out with some pictures of the senator with Athena’s mother. They met privately. There was also a picture of Athena coming out of that hotel with her mother. Then the next day, the senator released an official statement claiming that Athena is his child.” Chae Kyung says confidently.

            “Really? So, she’s the senator’s daughter....”

            “It’s really shocking. Imagine, the well-respected senator has that kind of secret? Not to mention, his daughter is a sneaky ...”

            “Chae Kyung ah! We really don’t know them so it’s not right to call them names.”

She covers .

            “Sorry....” she utters.

I put the dress on a hanger.

            “Seriously....her life is like a drama, don’t you think so?” she asks.

I just look at her.

            “The last two days made Athena be on the no. 1 spot again. What is it with her that scandals and controversies won’t leave her? Even at work, my work mates and the customers are talking about that issue. It is so embarrassing....people finding out that you are a result of a secret affair? If I were Athena, I wouldn’t be able to show my face to the public anymore.” Says Chae Kyung.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

Athena's POV

 

I put down the cutlery I'm holding. Omma looks down a little too much on her plate. I know exactly what makes her feel uneasy.

Even I know how much attention we are getting now. All eyes in this restaurant are on us.

 

            “Omma....”

She didn't look at me so I have to repeat it.

            “Omma...”

            “Hm?”

            “Does the steak look more interesting than your daughter? We are eating together...at least look at me.” I say.

She looks up a bit with that uneasy smile on her face.

            “I didn't notice....I'm just amazed with this steak...How come it's really tasty?”

I know that she's lying. She couldn't even grab a bite because of the embarrassment she's feeling. I reach for her chin and hold it up high.

            “Look at me this way. We came here to enjoy a special food and not to feel embarrassed. Omma, raise your chin up. Let's eat.”

 

She picks up the fork and knife.

           

            “Yes, that's it. Just ignore them like what I do. Celebrities like us really draw attention wherever we go.” I joke making her smile.

            “Aigoo, this kid....” she says.

We resume eating.

            “Omma, how does it feel to be a celebrity?”

We chuckle.

            “It's great...” she jokingly replies.

We chuckle once more but she gestures to keep it low.

 

The news broke out just the other day and that person confirmed that he is indeed my father. The truth is, it really doesn't matter to me now whether he denies it or admit it. I'm way passed hoping for that. I don't care what people think or say about me but the only concern I have is my mom. I don't want her to get hurt because of the public's baseless criticism. I decided to bring her out and show everyone that we are not hiding. That we don't consider that revelation a shame to our personality. Such thing doesn't make out dignity any less.

 

            “What a perfect view...” Madam Jang and her secretary are now standing in front of us.

 

            “M-madam....” mom utters.

 

           

Madam Jang looks at our table.

            “Ohh...steak....perfect...You really are shameless. After causing disgrace to my family, you still have the nerve to relax and have a steak? Do you know what kind of humiliation we went through because of the two of you? We couldn't almost go out of the house!” she yells drawing much attention from the people.

I roll my eyes.

            “You are saying that you are ashamed and couldn't go out of the house and yet, you still wear an extravagant fur coat? I think you are the one pulling people's attention towards you. And what's with those dark sunglasses? Huh....are you trying to be funny?” I commented sarcastically on my seat.

 

            “W-hat did you say?”

Mom stands up immediately.

            “Please forgive her. She doesn't mean any harm.”  Mom appeals.

            “Omma!” I stand from my seat too.

My mom looks down on the floor.

 

            “I'm sorry, Madame Jang...It was not my intention for it to happen this way.” she says about the scandal.

            “Omma, you shouldn't be the one to say sorry. There's nothing embarrassing about us so don't mind her. They are the ones who should be ashamed for all of this. ”

My patience flies out of the window in an instant. I turn to the madam.

            “You have no right to talk to my mom that way. If you feel humiliated, it's because you deserve it. Don't tell me you really thought that you can get away from wrecking someone's home and that you can hide it flawlessly? Now that the truth exploded in your face, you are blaming it to us?”

            “What an insolent girl! Look at how you brought up your child.” she mocks at my mom.

            “Madam, I don't think there's something wrong with my daughter. She's just responding to your roughness.” mom says in her humble tone.

            “Why do you have to wake up? You should have stayed there in your bed 'till you rot. The two of you are nothing but a curse!” she boils with anger.

I slap the woman's face. It was so strong that she fell on the floor.

            “Ae Young ah!” mom was shock with what I just did. She holds on to me after.

The old secretary hold on to the madam.

            “Y-you slapped me?!” Her eyes are big with anger.

            “Yes. And I could even sew that ty mouth of yours if I want! I told you that day that it will be the last respect I'll give you. Don't think that I'll let you continue to insult my mother!”

I wouldn't let anyone to step on me especially my mother. I will not hesitate to fight tooth and nails for her.

 

             “I'm not going to let this go! I'll sue you!” she yells.

            “Then be my guest!” I reply.

            “Ae Young ah....that's enough, let's go.” my mom says.

I turn to her.

            “Omma, I want you to remember looking down at that woman on your feet.” I talk about the madam sitting on the floor.

            “Held your head up high.” I raise her chin a little and take a thick bundle of paper bills from my bag and throw it all away in the air down pouring the conceited madam.

 

            “You fu—Ae Young!” the madam yells out.

 

            “Omma, that's how they do it on dramas.” I say to her as we head for the door.

 

We walk out of the restaurant ignoring all the people around.

 

 

 

 

We go directly towards my car in the private parking lot.

 

            “So that's her mother.....”

            “No wonder having a relationship with a married man is not a big deal for her....it's in their blood..”

            “Women are being criticized because of some es like them...”

 

I grit my teeth.

 

            “Ajumma, I think your mouths are dirty. It stinks up to here...” My mom holds onto me.

            “Ae Young ah...just ignore them.” she tries to stop me.

            “Omo! She heard us!”

            “She's doesn't know how to respect...she's  scary!”

            “Let's go...that might hurt us!”

The three of them run inside the restaurant.

            “ you said? Come here, let me show you what kind of I am!”

            “Ae Young, that's enough....let's just go home, okay?” Mom pulls me inside the car.

 

I have to calm myself by breathing in and out first before starting the engine. I need to drive mom safely.

 

 

Good thing, I was able to drive her back home in one piece. 

           

            “Let's rest for now...” she says entering the house.

I didn't even move from the doorway.

            “Omma, take a rest now.”

            “W-what? Why, where are you going?”

            “I just need to go somewhere.”

I move quickly.

            “Ae Young ah!....Ae Young!”

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jaejoong's POV

 

Ms. Go told me that Athena doesn't have any schedule today so I decided to go straight to her house right after I finished filming.

 

I feel irritated with the topic they are discussing over the radio. I turn it off. The latest scandal about Athena's family is being discussed everywhere nonstop. It's just for three days and it became this huge topic. Just hearing all of these is exhausting enough, what else for Athena herself?

 

She hasn't answered any of my calls just like the time she had a scandal with No Min Woo. I breathe out heavily and focus on the road. I almost reach her house.

 

My phone rings.

 

            “Yoboseyo?”

            “Hello, Jaejoong?”

            “Ommoni?”

            “Ae Young ah...she left the house.” her voice is filled with worries.

            “Huh?”

            “She's really angry...I know that she'll go to her father. Please, go after her!” Her voice almost cracks.

            “Alright. Just stay there at home Ommoni....Leave it to me, I'll go after her.” 

 

I hang up the phone and dialled Ms. Go's number.

           

            “Jaejoong?”

            “Ms. Go, do you know where can I find Senator Lee's office?”

            “Yes...is something wrong?”

            “I don't have time to explain now but please tell me where it is.”

            “O-okay.”

 

She sent me a SMS about the address. I made a U-turn and drive faster.

 

 

I arrive at the place and spot Athena entering the elevator.

 

            “Athena!” I called her but she didn't hear me.

I wasn't able to ride the elevator so I run to the stairways instead.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Athena's POV

 

 

This is too much! I cannot let this just slip. I enter the elevator with both my hands curled into a tight fist. I can't think straight because of the anger I'm feeling. My heart is rebelling because of it.

 

            “Ms. Athena!”

I ignore the secretary and I take big steps towards that office door.

            “Ms. Athena, wait! The senator is now---” she panics.

            “Get out of my way, I have to see him now!” I yell at her.

I push the door and enter.

           

There are other people inside. All of them stopped talking and look at me with wide eyes.

 

            “Senator...I--”

He raises his hand to stop her from explaining. Then, he turns to the other people.

            “It’s fine...Leave us.” he orders them.

They quietly leave the room.

 

            “Your stepmom just called me--”

            “So she gave you a report already? Then tell her that it will just be a teaser if she doesn’t stop bugging me and my mom.”

            “I already talked her out of it. No legal steps will be taken. As for you---”

            “Don't tell me what to do.” I cut him off.

            “Not one of you deserves respect. Respect should be earned and there's nothing you've done that's worth getting some.” I could feel anger in every inch of me.

 

            “Letting the public know about us, what do you expect to get from it?” I ask directly.

            “You are my daughter and that will not change no matter what happen.”

I want to laugh with his answer.

            “Can't you think of something believable? Like...'I just want to save my face since it has already been exposed and there's no way to deny it.' then, I might at least understand.”       

            “Ae Young ah believe me, I did that because I want them to know that I'm your father and you are my daughter.”

 

Tears started falling from my eyes.

            “Is that so? Sadly, it's too late for that. You already lost all the chance for recognition....A long time...I gave a long time. To be called daughter by my father in front of everyone....do you know how much I wished for that? Why should it be now when I no longer need it?!” I say mockingly.

 

I remember how much I wanted my father to recognize me and my mom.

 

He just stands there staring at me.

 

            “Now, people point fingers at us....judging us because of what you revealed. What did mom do wrong? Why must people criticize her because of you? What did she do to deserve such humiliation? Isn't it enough that her rightful place was taken from her? She trusted and loved you...and even though you betrayed her, she chose to stay quiet and endure all of it because of that love...”

 

My eyes is covered with tears....my body is shivering.

 

            “Mom and I were kicked into a corner like a shadow....All these years we lived like your dirty little secret while your new family claimed things that should have been ours. Why do we have to suffer all of that?”

 

I remember being told not to call him my father around other people. As a young child, I don't really understand but I never complain or whine because like what mom always says, we should endure because we love him. I only get to blame me and my mom for that because I though that there's something wrong with us...that we are the bad ones so my father couldn't present us to people. When I got older, I thought he'll explain everything to me but not a single word came until I finally give up on waiting.

 

            “I never once asked anything from you ....never demanded anything, never once complained but why are you punishing us like this? Up to what extent do we have to bear for you to be satisfied? How could you be so cruel? Aren’t I your daughter too?!” I shout as much as I can because it’s really cutting me inside.

 

            “Ae Young ah, my child...” I see tears flowing from his eyes but I doubt their authenticity.

 

He comes closer and tries to hold my shoulders but I brush away his arms. I'm mad as hell now.

 

            “Don't touch me....don't even call me your daughter...we never been really like that anyway...let's stay as strangers for as long as we live. Don't bother me or my mom ever again.”

 

I turn my back at him and go out of the door.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

 

Jaejoong's POV

 

 

 

The door was left slightly open so I heard everything. I had no idea that it's this serious. The scar it made in her heart is so deep that she's still hurting.

 

Athena comes out of the room.

 

            “Athena....”

It's like she didn't hear me. She walks lifelessly and I follow her. She chose to use the emergency exit. She goes down slowly and I follow her silently.

Then she stops and her knees break down like they lost their strength. In a flash, I hold her.

            “Athena, are you okay?” I ask.

She looks at me.

            “Jaejoong?” her voice is hoarse.

            “Can you walk? I'll drive you home...” I try to stand her up but she didn't budge so I look at her.

Our eyes meet. Her eyes swim in tears.

            “Why do you always see me on my most embarrassing times? To see the things I conceal the best, why  it has to be you? I feel so little now.....” she says and her tears flow from her eyes.

I wrap my arms around her. Her whole body is trembling. I let her cry as much as she can in my embrace.